Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Soul

for_his_glory said,
"breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Without the breath not even Adam could be a living soul. Here dust + breath/spirit from God = a living soul."[/QUOTE\]

If the breath of life isn't combined with the human body that God formed from the dust of the ground, there would be no living soul in existence, because like you said above, "without the breath not even Adam could be a living soul." However in post #1 you said God joined a immaterial soul to the human body. Is this immaterial soul a living soul? If you're saying this immaterial soul is a living soul, doesn't this mean the breath of life is a living soul before it's combined with the human body? I'm not going to agree with that. A living soul doesn't exist before the breath of life is combined with the human body. So I disagree when someone says God joined an immaterial soul to the human body, if they're saying this immaterial soul is a living soul. The scripture at Genesis 2:7 doesn't say God gave a living soul or immaterial soul to the human body. The scriptures say that when God combined the breath if life to the human body this is when a living soul came into existence, not before. So I disagree that God gave a living soul or immaterial soul to Adam. No living soul or immaterial soul existed before God joined the breath of life to the human body.

BB1956

This is what I said in my OP: We are immaterial souls joined to a physical body created by God from the dust of the ground. God breathed His breath/spirit into our nostrils that made this body a living soul.

The soul is not a physical thing like that of our physical body, thus the soul is immaterial and does not come to life without the breath of God when we are created by Him.

BB1956

This is what I said in my OP: We are immaterial souls joined to a physical body created by God from the dust of the ground. God breathed His breath/spirit into our nostrils that made this body a living soul.

The soul is not a physical thing like that of our physical body, thus the soul is immaterial and does not come to life without the breath of God when we are created by Him.
I disagree that human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies. From what I can see in the scriptures, they disagree that human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies. It's why I'll continue to disagree with you, when you say human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies. See when you say that human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies, you're saying God gave the human body a living soul, which means you're replacing the word "became" which is in Genesis 2:7 with the word "gave." The word became is the accurate word to be in Genesis 2: 7 so gave shouldn't even be implied to be in that scripture.

Everywhere in the scriptures when the Hebrew word for soul(nephesh) and the Greek word for soul(psykhe) is used when referring to earthly creatures(animals or human beings) the soul is shown to be material, not immaterial, visible not invisible, so for someone to say the physical body isn't a living soul after God blew the breath of life into it, they are the ones in error. I agree that the majority of the world believes that human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies, but this isnt in scripture. What the world believes and what the scriptures teach are are not in agreement. I have not found nowhere written in scripture that teaches that human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies. So since scripture disagrees with this idea that human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies, I'm not going to agree that human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies.

Last edited:
I disagree that human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies. From what I can see in the scriptures, they disagree that human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies. It's why I'll continue to disagree with you, when you say human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies. See when you say that human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies, you're saying God gave the human body a living soul, which means you're replacing the word "became" which is in Genesis 2:7 with the word "gave." The word became is the accurate word to be in Genesis 2: 7 so gave shouldn't even be implied to be in that scripture.

Everywhere in the scriptures when the Hebrew word for soul(nephesh) and the Greek word for soul(psykhe) is used when referring to earthly creatures(animals or human beings) the soul is shown to be material, not immaterial, visible not invisible, so for someone to say the physical body isn't a living soul after God blew the breath of life into it, they are the ones in error. I agree that the majority of the world believes that human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies, but this isnt in scripture. What the world believes and what the scriptures teach are are not in agreement. I have not found nowhere written in scripture that teaches that human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies. So since scripture disagrees with this idea that human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies, I'm not going to agree that human beings have immaterial souls joined to their bodies.
Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Smith's Bible Dictionary and Strong's Exhaustive Concordance definition of soul: the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being regard as immortal

Is our soul something that you can physically see as being something material, no. The soul makes up the conscious part of ones being is that of thought, action and emotion. The spiritual nature of man regarded as immortal and separable from the body/flesh at death and susceptible to happiness or misery in a future state.

Genesis 2:7; 35:18; Ezekiel 18:4; Matthew 10:28; 16:26

I have mixed emotions about posting on this thread.

So many people believe the soul of Eden is a very spiritual thing, and many could be stressed with a different view. I have a different view, but a Study of the Bible may work. I do not
Want to cause problems.

I really do not think the nose is the entrance point for man to receive the Holy Spirit.

Hearing and seeing seem more in line with man. And the eyes of our understanding is not the carnal eyes. Our ears are not a entrance point IMHO.

A new heart of flesh is needed. Adam and Eve do not IMHO demonstrate a developed spirit in the garden. No word of knowledge about the serpent. No wisdom about what to do when tempted.

Again I have a tender spot for those who see Adam and Eve as beyond very good.

Continue if life for Ada
M and ever required a tree of Life Jesus is that tree not yet manifested. Hidden from the foundation of the world means just that. Symbolism in / imagery is in Eden.

I actually can allow deletion of this post if it will cause too much trouble. I would not post when the thread first started.

First Adam became a living soul
Second Adam became a life giving Spirit.
That life giving spirit can enter us

Mississippi redneck
eddif

I have mixed emotions about posting on this thread.

So many people believe the soul of Eden is a very spiritual thing, and many could be stressed with a different view. I have a different view, but a Study of the Bible may work. I do not
Want to cause problems.

I really do not think the nose is the entrance point for man to receive the Holy Spirit.

Hearing and seeing seem more in line with man. And the eyes of our understanding is not the carnal eyes. Our ears are not a entrance point IMHO.

A new heart of flesh is needed. Adam and Eve do not IMHO demonstrate a developed spirit in the garden. No word of knowledge about the serpent. No wisdom about what to do when tempted.

Again I have a tender spot for those who see Adam and Eve as beyond very good.

Continue if life for Ada
M and ever required a tree of Life Jesus is that tree not yet manifested. Hidden from the foundation of the world means just that. Symbolism in / imagery is in Eden.

I actually can allow deletion of this post if it will cause too much trouble. I would not post when the thread first started.

First Adam became a living soul
Second Adam became a life giving Spirit.
That life giving spirit can enter us

Mississippi redneck
eddif
You are doing fine my friend as I usually get you where others become confused by what you say. You are right though as even the soul is the spiritual immortal part of all of us as I have already shown in scripture and the definition of soul. As a true child of God we seek His truth through Spiritual eyes and ears to read and hear what the Holy Spirit is teaching us. The carnal mind is enmity against God as Spirit and flesh can not mix, Romans 8:5-8.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Smith's Bible Dictionary and Strong's Exhaustive Concordance definition of soul: the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being regard as immortal

Is our soul something that you can physically see as being something material, no. The soul makes up the conscious part of ones being is that of thought, action and emotion. The spiritual nature of man regarded as immortal and separable from the body/flesh at death and susceptible to happiness or misery in a future state.

Genesis 2:7; 35:18; Ezekiel 18:4; Matthew 10:28; 16:26
I'm not unaware of religious books such as, "Smith's Bible Dictionary and Strong's Exhaustive concordance and their definition of the word "soul." I'm not against using such religious books, but I recognize they are not the Bible, and the people who create such books are imperfect human beings, I don't believe these books are the inspired word of God.
I'm a believer of reading and understanding what I'm reading, this would obviously include the reading and understanding the Bible and what it's saying. When I read the Bible, and examinine the way these terms, "nephesh" and "psykhe" are used in the Bible, both terms being translated "soul" in the Bible and are used in the "Bible," it becomes evident that the "Bible" basically refers to (1) people, (2) animals, or (3) the life that a person or an animal has. The scriptures don't talk about some immaterial, invisible soul that's joined to the physical human body. In scriptures such as Genesis 1:20; 2:7; Numbers 31:28 and 1Peter 3:20 these scriptures are talking about animals or human beings and they're not talking about an invisible, immaterial soul that's joined to their bodies so the scriptures show that these human beings and animals are visible, physical, material, creatures.

At Genesis 2:7 this scripture isn't saying that God joined a invisible, immaterial soul to the physical human body. Because this scripture isn't saying that God "GAVE" a living soul to the human body. Genesis 2: 7 tells us that after God blew the breath of life into the human body that he formed from the dust of the ground, that physical human body "BECAME" a living soul. People can make out like the word "gave" and "became" have the same definition but they don't. I agree that if God had joined a invisible, immaterial soul to the human body then yes the word gave would be in Genesis 2: 7, but Genesis 2: 7 shows us that when God blew the breath of life into the human body that it was that physical human body that became a living soul.
So when someone says regarding Genesis 2: 7 that God gave a living soul to the human body that he formed from the dust of the ground, I'm going to disagree because Genesis 2: 7 doesn't say that. Also when someone says that God joined a invisible immaterial soul to the human body, they too are saying that God gave a living soul to the human body. So I ask them why isn't the word gave in Genesis 2: 7, why instead is the word became in Genesis 2: 7, the words, gave and became, don't mean the same thing.

I'm not unaware of religious books such as, "Smith's Bible Dictionary and Strong's Exhaustive concordance and their definition of the word "soul." I'm not against using such religious books, but I recognize they are not the Bible, and the people who create such books are imperfect human beings, I don't believe these books are the inspired word of God.
I'm a believer of reading and understanding what I'm reading, this would obviously include the reading and understanding the Bible and what it's saying. When I read the Bible, and examinine the way these terms, "nephesh" and "psykhe" are used in the Bible, both terms being translated "soul" in the Bible and are used in the "Bible," it becomes evident that the "Bible" basically refers to (1) people, (2) animals, or (3) the life that a person or an animal has. The scriptures don't talk about some immaterial, invisible soul that's joined to the physical human body. In scriptures such as Genesis 1:20; 2:7; Numbers 31:28 and 1Peter 3:20 these scriptures are talking about animals or human beings and they're not talking about an invisible, immaterial soul that's joined to their bodies so the scriptures show that these human beings and animals are visible, physical, material, creatures.

At Genesis 2:7 this scripture isn't saying that God joined a invisible, immaterial soul to the physical human body. Because this scripture isn't saying that God "GAVE" a living soul to the human body. Genesis 2: 7 tells us that after God blew the breath of life into the human body that he formed from the dust of the ground, that physical human body "BECAME" a living soul. People can make out like the word "gave" and "became" have the same definition but they don't. I agree that if God had joined a invisible, immaterial soul to the human body then yes the word gave would be in Genesis 2: 7, but Genesis 2: 7 shows us that when God blew the breath of life into the human body that it was that physical human body that became a living soul.
So when someone says regarding Genesis 2: 7 that God gave a living soul to the human body that he formed from the dust of the ground, I'm going to disagree because Genesis 2: 7 doesn't say that. Also when someone says that God joined a invisible immaterial soul to the human body, they too are saying that God gave a living soul to the human body. So I ask them why isn't the word gave in Genesis 2: 7, why instead is the word became in Genesis 2: 7, the words, gave and became, don't mean the same thing.
I gave you what has been written in scripture, but you choose to disagree with scripture so maybe we are using different Bibles, but I do not see that we are or that you are sitting under some false doctrines you do not even realize you are doing. You disagree with everyone who has given you true pure scripture so wing it on your own as I'm done with this.

You have a good evening.

I gave you what has been written in scripture, but you choose to disagree with scripture so maybe we are using different Bibles, but I do not see that we are or that you are sitting under some false doctrines you do not even realize you are doing. You disagree with everyone who has given you true pure scripture so wing it on your own as I'm done with this.
I agree with what's written down in Genesis 2:7. Nowhere in this scripture is it saying God joined a immaterial soul to the human body, it says the human body became a living soul when God blew the breath if life into the human body

I agree with what's written down in Genesis 2:7. Nowhere in this scripture is it saying God joined a immaterial soul to the human body, it says the human body became a living soul when God blew the breath if life into the human body
What is written in Genesis is in a hidden, secret, unrevealed, natural context. Jesus explained the hidden to the disciples. Probably in Greek.

The seed of Genesis is natural, but in the spiritual meaning it is the Word of God (as explained by Jesus) probably in Greek.
The spiritual message of the seed lay hidden till Jesus told the disciples the meaning.

The message was in code, secret, hidden for a long time. We get the message today in our language. English, German, whatever hopefully correctly.

The seed is the Word of God,
The seed is physical, but stands for the Word of God.
Metaphysical
Meta means beyond
Physical is a created thing
DNA is a low level bible of plant growth.
The physical seed hides a spiritual message.
The spiritual Scripture is about Creation and Spiritual growth.
Both are in the Bible.

The Matthew 13 description of seed is a sort of dictionary.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

OK, what do you make of this scripture that also shows that the body and soul are separate from each other as it shows the soul is immortal.

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

If we hang together we will get to the New Testament, and body, soul, and spirit listed together. All in good time?

Mississippi redneck
eddif

What is written in Genesis is in a hidden, secret, unrevealed, natural context. Jesus explained the hidden to the disciples. Probably in Greek.
That is what imperfect human beings say, not what the written word of God says. Plus, God didn't keep it a secret how he created the first human being, so Genesis 2:7 isn't any secret

If we hang together we will get to the New Testament, and body, soul, and spirit listed together. All in good time?
That doesn't mean human beings have three persons in a human body. Genesis 2:7 isn't contradicted anywhere in Scripture. Just as human beings were living souls during old testament times, humans beings also were living souls during new testament times. So, today human beings living in our time are living souls. Genesis 2:7 is still saying today that we human beings are living souls.

OK, what do you make of this scripture that also shows that the body and soul are separate from each other as it shows the soul is immortal.

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
First of all immortal means, beyond destruction or beyond death, or deathlessness. So those that are immortal, death has no hold on them, they can't be destroyed
Matthew 10:28 makes it clear that body and soul can be destroyed by God, but they're not separate persons in the human body. People who believe that the soul is a living person in the human body are incorrect for believing this.

Commenting on Matthew 10:28 in his book Immortality of the Soul or Resurrection of the Dead? (French), Professor Oscar Cullmann writes: “psy·kheʹ [soul] here does not mean the Greek concept of soul but should rather be translated ‘life ‘. . . . W. G. Kümmel . . . also writes with good reason: Matt. 10:28 ‘does not seek to highlight the immortality of the soul, but underlines the fact that God alone can destroy not only earthly life but also heavenly life.’”

Just some data to think on!

Gen 2:7

וַיִּיצֶר֩ H3335 vai·yi·Tzer ....................... formed

יְהוה֨ H3068 Yah·weh ...........................the LORD

אֱלֹהִ֜ים H430 E·lo·Him...........................God

אֶת־ H853 'at- (A T an idiom found 900+ Times in the OT and not translated : Alef the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet means POWER or STRENGTH and Tav the last letter of the alphabet meaning the MARK or COVANENT. )

הָֽאָדָ֗ם H120 ha·'a·Dam,.......................man

עָפָר֙ H6083 'a·Far.................................[of] the dust

מִן־ הָ֣אֲדָמָ֔ה H127 ha·'a·da·Mah,......the ground

וַיִּפַּ֥ח H5301 vai·yip·Pach.....................and breathed

בְּאַפָּ֖יו H639 be·'ap·Pav.......................into his nostrils

נִשְׁמַ֣ת H5397 nish·Mat.......................the breath
חַיִּ֑ים H2416 chai·Yim;.........................of life

וַֽיְהִ֥י H1961 vay·Hi................................became

הָֽאָדָ֖ם H120 ha·'a·Dam.......................and man

לְנֶ֥פֶשׁ H5315 le·Ne·fesh.......................soul (Nefesh is BREATHING the animal breath in every animal)

חַיָּֽה׃ H2416 chai·Yah...........................became a living ( Chay means LIVING, natural life and the instinct to preserve its life.)

Note is says this twice God Breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, Man became breathing - Living.
Man Was made in the Image of GOD, God is Spirit and it is the SPIRIT of man that makes him different from other animals, It is the SPIRIT that will return to God and Live for EVER.

Body is the vessel we live in. It is dust and when we die it will return to dust.
Spirit is the part of a human that makes us different from the other animals; we possess the Image of God in us to know and fellowship with God.
Soul is only the animal life in all animals, Life, and the instinct to preserve that life.

There are TWO PARTS,
Man has a Body,
Man is a Spirit,
This body and Spirit lives by the life breathed from God (the soul).
When life ends (that is the Life (soul) is no longer), the body returns to dust and the spirit returns to GOD.

Spirit and Soul have been used as synonyms so long the difference is often lost. The reason for this is the Church error in defining the terms, The Council said the Soul is the Intellectual Rational life of man; but truth is Soul is only the animal life in all animals. The Council said the Spirit teaching is a duplicate of Soul and Error, but truth is Spirit is the Image of God in us to know and fellowship with God. Spirit includes Mind, Intellect, Emotions, Will and Actions.

In the Canons of the Fourth Council of Constantinople; The Eighth Ecumenical Council - Held 869ad​

CANON 11 Summary: The Old and New Testaments teach that man has but one rational and intellectual being a Soul.

Text: While the Old and New Testaments teach that man has one rational and intellectual soul, and this is the teaching also of all the fathers and doctors of the Church, some persons, nevertheless, blasphemously maintain that he has spirit and souls. This holy and general council, therefore, anathematizes the authors and adherents of that false teaching. Anyone presuming to act contrary to the decision of this great council, shall be anathematized and cut off from the faith and society of Christians

All our dictionary definitions are based on the teaching of the Church from 869ad and the teaching that the spirit was lost in original sin. This is a good example of Church teaching error. The Church definition comes from PLATO and the ancient religions that see only body and soul. That is not what the bible says!

Plato’s, Timaeus on soul.

God desired that all things should be good and nothing bad, so far as this was attainable. Wherefore also finding the whole visible sphere not at rest, but moving in an irregular and disorderly fashion, out of disorder he brought order, considering that this was in every way better than the other. Now the deeds of the best could never be or have been other than the fairest; and the creator, reflecting on the things which are by nature visible, found that no unintelligent creature taken as a whole was fairer than the intelligent taken as a whole; and that intelligence could not be present in anything which was devoid of soul. For which reason, when he was framing the universe, he put intelligence in soul, and soul in body, that he might be the creator of a work which was by nature fairest and 21 best. Timaeus pg20

Last edited:
We are immaterial souls joined to a physical body created by God from the dust of the ground. God breathed His breath/spirit into our nostrils that made this body a living soul. We are made up of three parts being spirit, soul and body that are joined together when we were conceived in our mother's womb.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The body is physical with five senses being sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch that connects with the world.

The soul is the part of the human being that will live on in eternity and with our soul, not our body, is the part of us that is to love God.

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

In those two verses it speaks about our soul as being in relationship with God and not this fleshly body. It's our soul and spirit that needs regeneration by God's Spirit.

The life we have here on earth is temporal as our physical bodies will die and return to the dust and be remembered no more.

Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: 26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

1 John 3: 2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

The life and the blood is in Jesus who gives our soul eternal life with the Father by that of the blood sacrifice of Christ through God's grace that we are made righteous by the righteousness of God through the Spiritual rebirth. God is not going to reform our physical bodies that have returned to dust, but will raise us from the grave in new glorified bodies that we know not what we will look like.
It’s very sad we have to die because Adam and Eve chose to sin and passed sin down to us

It’s very sad we have to die because Adam and Eve chose to sin and passed sin down to us
If we are truly Christ own then when we will physically die, but yet have eternal life with Him.

John 11:25-26; 1Corinthians 15:51-58; 1Thessalonians 4:13-18

Just some data to think on!

Gen 2:7

וַיִּיצֶר֩ H3335 vai·yi·Tzer ....................... formed

יְהוה֨ H3068 Yah·weh ...........................the LORD

אֱלֹהִ֜ים H430 E·lo·Him...........................God

אֶת־ H853 'at- (A T an idiom found 900+ Times in the OT and not translated : Alef the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet means POWER or STRENGTH and Tav the last letter of the alphabet meaning the MARK or COVANENT. )

הָֽאָדָ֗ם H120 ha·'a·Dam,.......................man

עָפָר֙ H6083 'a·Far.................................[of] the dust

מִן־ הָ֣אֲדָמָ֔ה H127 ha·'a·da·Mah,......the ground

וַיִּפַּ֥ח H5301 vai·yip·Pach.....................and breathed

בְּאַפָּ֖יו H639 be·'ap·Pav.......................into his nostrils

נִשְׁמַ֣ת H5397 nish·Mat.......................the breath
חַיִּ֑ים H2416 chai·Yim;.........................of life

וַֽיְהִ֥י H1961 vay·Hi................................became

הָֽאָדָ֖ם H120 ha·'a·Dam.......................and man

לְנֶ֥פֶשׁ H5315 le·Ne·fesh.......................soul (Nefesh is BREATHING the animal breath in every animal)

חַיָּֽה׃ H2416 chai·Yah...........................became a living ( Chay means LIVING, natural life and the instinct to preserve its life.)

Note is says this twice God Breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, Man became breathing - Living.
Man Was made in the Image of GOD, God is Spirit and it is the SPIRIT of man that makes him different from other animals, It is the SPIRIT that will return to God and Live for EVER.

Body is the vessel we live in. It is dust and when we die it will return to dust.
Spirit is the part of a human that makes us different from the other animals; we possess the Image of God in us to know and fellowship with God.
Soul is only the animal life in all animals, Life, and the instinct to preserve that life.

There are TWO PARTS,
Man has a Body,
Man is a Spirit,
This body and Spirit lives by the life breathed from God (the soul).
When life ends (that is the Life (soul) is no longer), the body returns to dust and the spirit returns to GOD.

Spirit and Soul have been used as synonyms so long the difference is often lost. The reason for this is the Church error in defining the terms, The Council said the Soul is the Intellectual Rational life of man; but truth is Soul is only the animal life in all animals. The Council said the Spirit teaching is a duplicate of Soul and Error, but truth is Spirit is the Image of God in us to know and fellowship with God. Spirit includes Mind, Intellect, Emotions, Will and Actions.

In the Canons of the Fourth Council of Constantinople; The Eighth Ecumenical Council - Held 869ad​

CANON 11 Summary: The Old and New Testaments teach that man has but one rational and intellectual being a Soul.

Text: While the Old and New Testaments teach that man has one rational and intellectual soul, and this is the teaching also of all the fathers and doctors of the Church, some persons, nevertheless, blasphemously maintain that he has spirit and souls. This holy and general council, therefore, anathematizes the authors and adherents of that false teaching. Anyone presuming to act contrary to the decision of this great council, shall be anathematized and cut off from the faith and society of Christians

All our dictionary definitions are based on the teaching of the Church from 869ad and the teaching that the spirit was lost in original sin. This is a good example of Church teaching error. The Church definition comes from PLATO and the ancient religions that see only body and soul. That is not what the bible says!

Plato’s, Timaeus on soul.

God desired that all things should be good and nothing bad, so far as this was attainable. Wherefore also finding the whole visible sphere not at rest, but moving in an irregular and disorderly fashion, out of disorder he brought order, considering that this was in every way better than the other. Now the deeds of the best could never be or have been other than the fairest; and the creator, reflecting on the things which are by nature visible, found that no unintelligent creature taken as a whole was fairer than the intelligent taken as a whole; and that intelligence could not be present in anything which was devoid of soul. For which reason, when he was framing the universe, he put intelligence in soul, and soul in body, that he might be the creator of a work which was by nature fairest and 21 best. Timaeus pg20
Interesting, but a bit over my head. I will just stick with scripture and that which has already been written.

Interesting, but a bit over my head. I will just stick with scripture and that which has already been written.

I read that text and was struck by what it actually says. It says what it actually says.
“Man became a living soul”

I had always thought that the living soul became to be called man. But the actual text says the man became a living soul.

According to the text, man came first then the living soul. He is still called man, but he became a living man.

You might find this truth to be false or inconsequential but it’s not. And furthermore it is a truth which is confirmed throughout the entire scripture.

Believe it or not.

Back