Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

States of Water

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
When water becomes vapor, it looses its definite volume. If a substance dosen't have a definite volume, it is no longer a liquid.

In order to prove water vapor is a liquid, you have to show us its definite volume.

Spectator said:
When water becomes vapor, it looses its definite volume. If a substance dosen't have a definite volume, it is no longer a liquid.

In order to prove water vapor is a liquid, you have to show us its definite volume.

But that is incorrect. You might want to believe it, but it is just not true. A molecule of water is still H2O, and that is not a gas, it is still water in its most minute form.

Something to think about.

IN Christ - MM

StoveBolts said:
Free online Science class :clap3

{I'm enjoying this topic :) }

Hi Jeff

Yes, and thank you. I think throughout time, man desires a greater knowledge. This is why we seek greater knowledge. If we go back say, about 1000 years. But look back with the understanding we have today, and is it not true, we would laugh our heads off at what they actually believed back 1000 years ago ?

As we progress forward in time, we progress in knowledge.

What I am trying to do, is recognize a false premise that man has held onto for many years now.

That water can be in a "gaseous state" when it is vapor.

IMHO - Vapor is just that "vapor" = unseen. We see steam, but for how long ? And why do we see steam ? Ever think about that one ? :yes I have. It is because of the temperature difference. Put a pan on a hot stove with water in it. After a while you see steam rising. Then you don't see the steam any longer. Once the steam cools to air temp, it becomes invisible with the naked eye. The moisture (water) is still there, just unseen.

Man gave this unseen moisture (water) a definition which to go by. The word "vapor" was not good enough, so they added their man made up definition to it, and called it a "gaseous state". Meaning, that it is not seen = unseen.

But here is the problem. Many people start calling vapor a gaseous state, then they assume that this is a state and a gas. Neither is true ! It is not a state, nor a gas ! So people go around saying things like this - "Yes, water can be a gas" < This is untrue. Water is always water when it is water. < This is true !

Water can only be a liquid or a solid.

What I am proposing is this. We need to change the definition in such a way that does not confuse people into thinking that water can be a "gas". < This is where all the confusion comes in.

Following my train of thought here ?

Love IN Christ - MM

Mysteryman said:
Spectator said:

But that is incorrect. You might want to believe it, but it is just not true. A molecule of water is still H2O, and that is not a gas, it is still water in its most minute form.

IN Christ - MM

You are fundamentally miss understanding. Water is unique from other substances, but not that much. Water can and does exist as all three states of matter here on earth. Solid, liquid, and gas.

While you are correct even one molecule of water is still water, but where your logic fails is thinking that water can't be a gas.

Would you think that one molecule of hydrogen can't be a gas?

This is a good article about the properties of water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Properties_of_water

happyjoy said:
Mysteryman said:
Spectator said:

IN Christ - MM

You are fundamentally miss understanding. Water is unique from other substances, but not that much. Water can and does exist as all three states of matter here on earth. Solid, liquid, and gas.

While you are correct even one molecule of water is still water, but where your logic fails is thinking that water can't be a gas.

Would you think that one molecule of hydrogen can't be a gas?

This is a good article about the properties of water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Properties_of_water

Hi happyjoy

First, you can't compare a gas such as hydrogen to water, it is illogical.

Hydrogen is a gas ---- water is H2O a combination of three gases within one molecule !

If you condense hydrogen it can become a liquid, but it is still 'only' hydrogen -- One gas

Water is not just one gas ! But three made up with two specific types of gases H & O < Which btw, I find not only exciting, but also extremely interesting, and also extremely revealing.

One of the mysteries of God, is --> The most three, the least two < And God made water by this "mystery" = that which was hidden, but now is revealed !

Love IN Christ - MM

Then is carbon dioxide a gas? Carbon dioxide is a combination of a solid and a gas in one molecule. Dry ice, frozen CO2, is a solid?

Rick W said:
Then is carbon dioxide a gas? Carbon dioxide is a combination of a solid and a gas in one molecule. Dry ice, frozen CO2, is a solid?

Remember one thing, I am not a professor, nor do I want anyone to think that I am. Because of this, I can only explain this the best way I know how. If you will understand this, that my lack thereof within my explanation, might not be exactly correct. This is why I will not declare my reply as what one could consider as the gospel truth.

If I may >

Carbon is a gas - Carbon dioxide is a gas (not a gas) that is present within a decaying material. Dioxide means "oxidation". A dioxide is made up of two atoms 1. Oxygen and one atom of metal. The two combined make up a dioxide. So no, a dioxide is not a gas, just the "O" oxygen is a gas.

Which means that "Carbon dioxide" is not a gas ! It is a combination of "C" carbon which is a gas and a dioxide which has one gas "O" oxygen and one atom of metal. Metal is a solid and the other two are gases.

If you feel that this explanation is not accurate. I will accept any reasonable explanation that would show my explanation being false. However, remember I said "reasonable" explanation, not just a theory based upon no sound based logic.

Love IN Christ - MM

Mysteryman said:
Spectator said:

IN Christ - MM
I don't think you understand the basics of Chemistry. This isn't an insult by any means, Chemistry and Physics are complicated areas. ;)

You are right. It is still H2O. Di Hydrogen Oxide is what water is in all 3 states. When water becomes vapor, it doesn't change its molecular compound. It remains as Di Hydrogen Oxide. All that happens is that the the protons and Neutrons in the atoms are freer in this state.

In a solid the Ps and Ns are closer to the nucleus and form a definite volume and shape. As in, it crystallizes. In a liquid the Ps and Ns are less constricted and the collected mass looses it shape but still has definite volume. Ice ( solid) can't conform to a glass when it is solidified. Water dose.

In gas, the Ps and Ns are expanded out even more, meaning the object looses its volume. That is why gas inflates balloons and we can move through gases easily. With the exception of Argon, which is a heavy Gas.

I hope I helped. :)

Rick W said:
Yes Carbon Dioxide is a Gas at room temperatures.

Carbon is a non metal along side Oxygen.

Liquid, Solid, and gas has little to do with its molecular structure. Metals can become liquids when they are melted down. Mercury is a metal, but at room temperature, it is liquid.

Mysteryman said:
Rick W said:

Remember one thing, I am not a professor, nor do I want anyone to think that I am. Because of this, I can only explain this the best way I know how. If you will understand this, that my lack thereof within my explanation, might not be exactly correct. This is why I will not declare my reply as what one could consider as the gospel truth.

If I may >

Carbon is a gas - Carbon dioxide is a gas (not a gas) that is present within a decaying material. Dioxide means "oxidation". A dioxide is made up of two atoms 1. Oxygen and one atom of metal. The two combined make up a dioxide. So no, a dioxide is not a gas, just the "O" oxygen is a gas.

Which means that "Carbon dioxide" is not a gas ! It is a combination of "C" carbon which is a gas and a dioxide which has one gas "O" oxygen and one atom of metal. Metal is a solid and the other two are gases.

If you feel that this explanation is not accurate. I will accept any reasonable explanation that would show my explanation being false. However, remember I said "reasonable" explanation, not just a theory based upon no sound based logic.

Love IN Christ - MM
Actually, all Di Oxide means is 2 oxygen atoms. A Carbon dioxide molecule is made up of 1 carbon atom and 2 oxygen atoms.

Just like water ( Di Hydrogen Oxide) is made up of 2 hydrogen atoms and one oygen atom. ;)

Also carbon isn't a gas its a non metal. ;)

Methane, CH4, is another substance that can exist in 3 states.
Water isn't the only substance with compound molecules that can exist in the three states. There are quite a few really.

But here is the problem. Many people start calling vapor a gaseous state, then they assume that this is a state and a gas. Neither is true ! It is not a state, nor a gas ! So people go around saying things like this - "Yes, water can be a gas" < This is untrue. Water is always water when it is water. < This is true !

I think the problem here is that you are confusing the purpose of the states of matter. The states of matter do not exist of themselves. They require matter in order to exist. If I say I've got a liquid gas, what have I got? You can't tell, because there are myriads of types of matter than can be either gas or liquid. For example, if I say water, what I'm really saying is liquid water. The reason I don't attach the word liquid is because water, at human's ideal living temperature is in a liquid state. Metal is the same way. Same thing with nitrogen, or oxygen or hydrogen. It's understood for those that they are gases because that's how we always encounter them without our intervening in their states.

In the matter of languages, a matter's state would be considered an adjective. Adjectives are words that describe a noun. They are properties that must be exhibited by an object. For instance, if you have a happy person, we could say that the person is in a happy state. You've got to have a person in order to have a happy. Now sometimes we use terms like a happy sad, but those really aren't saying the sad is in a happy state. It's merely describing the amount of sad in relation to the state of being sad in general.

All that in mind, I think you are saying that water vapor is merely a liquid in a gaseous state. This is not the case because it really is just water gas. If you look up the definition of "vapor" we get this:
dictionary.com said:
va·por? ?[vey-per]
–noun
1.a visible exhalation, as fog, mist, steam, smoke, or noxious gas, diffused through or suspended in the air: the vapors rising from the bogs.
2.Physics. a gas at a temperature below its critical temperature.
To say that water vapor is a liquid gas (or gaseous liquid) is really just a misnomer.

Spectator said:
Mysteryman said:
Rick W said:

If I may >

Love IN Christ - MM
Actually, all Di Oxide means is 2 oxygen atoms. A Carbon dioxide molecule is made up of 1 carbon atom and 2 oxygen atoms.

Just like water ( Di Hydrogen Oxide) is made up of 2 hydrogen atoms and one oygen atom. ;)

Also carbon isn't a gas its a non metal. ;)

HI

You are correct , in that Carbon is not a gas. I stand corrected here.

Yes, "Di Oxide" is made up with 2 oxygen atoms and one atom of metal (you left out the one atom of metal)

But "Carbon Dioxide" is not as you have described it above. You said that carbon dioxide was one carbon and 2 oxygen, but you left out the one atom of metal. Why ?

Carbon Dioxide is one carbon atom -- and two atoms of oxygen plus one atom of metal

Di Oxide is two atoms of oxygen plus one atom of metal

Carbon Dioxide is made up of 4 atoms -- while just Dioxide is made up of 3 atoms

Now back to water - Water is made up of three atoms - two Hydrogen and one oxygen

So is "carbon dioxide" a gas ?

I say still - No ! No it is not a gas. Carbon dioxide is exactly like vapor , in that both are called a gas, but neither are a gas !

Trust me folks, we will get to the bottom of this at some point . :clap

IN Christ - MM

Mysteryman said:
Trust me folks, we will get to the bottom of this at some point . :clap

IN Christ - MM

:lol

There's no denying how wonderful and intriguing water really is. :) :thumb

I didn't leave out the metal, as there is no metal in Dioxide. the symbol O2 means 2 oxygen.

If a metal attached itself to Oxygen it would be show up in the symbol.

Such as Sulfuric Acid. H2SO4. 2 hydrogen atoms, 1 sulfur atom, and 4 oxygen atoms. Sulfur is a metal. :thumb

I think you are confusing Oxide with oxidation. Witch we can see when Oxygen and Iron come together and form rust. Fe2O3, Di Iron tri Oxide is the chemical compound for rust. Oxidation is just the term used for when oxygen reacts to another chemical. ;)

Spectator said:
I didn't leave out the metal, as there is no metal in Dioxide. the symbol O2 means 2 oxygen.

If a metal attached itself to Oxygen it would be show up in the symbol.

Such as Sulfuric Acid. H2SO4. 2 hydrogen atoms, 1 sulfur atom, and 4 oxygen atoms. Sulfur is a metal. :thumb

Yes, there is one atom of a metal in Dioxide !

That is unless my dictonary is totally bogus :shame

Dioxide - an oxide consisting of 2 atoms of oxygen and one atom of a metal

Oxide - a binary (meaning - consisting of two things) compound of oxygen with some element or organic radical

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back