Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Stations of the Cross

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

WIP

Staff member
I have a question about the Stations of the Cross. As I understand it, the Catholic church teaches that these are a sequence of events that took place from the time Jesus was condemned until His body was laid in the tomb. Some of the events depicted don't seem to be found in Scripture, at least I haven't found them. Below I have listed the stations with what references I could find to support them. I'm curious where the rest come from. Can anyone shed some light?
  1. Station 1 - Jesus condemned to death. Matthew 27:25, Mark 15:15, Luke 23:23-25, John 19:16
  2. Station 2 - Jesus is made to bear His cross. John 19:17 is the only gospel that mentions this. The other three say Simon of Cyrene was compelled to carry it for Him.
  3. Station 3 - Jesus falling the first time. I find no reference in Scripture that speaks of this taking place. That's not to say it didn't but it's not recorded in Scripture that I could find.
  4. Station 4 - Jesus meeting His mother. I find no reference in Scripture that speaks of this taking place during His journey to Golgotha. That's not to say it didn't but it's not recorded in Scripture that I could find. John's gospel does record Jesus meeting His mother but it was after He was crucified. John 19:25-27
  5. Station 6 - Veronica wipes Jesus' face. I find no reference in Scripture that speaks of this taking place. In fact, I find no mention of any woman named Veronica in all of Scripture including Catholic editions. That's not to say it didn't happen but it's not recorded in Scripture that I could find.
  6. Station 7 - Jesus falls a second time. I find no reference in Scripture that speaks of this taking place. That's not to say it didn't but it's not recorded in Scripture that I could find.
  7. Station 8 - The women of Jerusalem weep over Jesus. Luke 23:27-28
  8. Station 9 - Jesus falls the third time. I find no reference in Scripture that speaks of this taking place. That's not to say it didn't but it's not recorded in Scripture that I could find.
  9. Station 10 - Jesus stripped of His garments. Matthew 27:27-28 and again in verse 35, Mark 15:16-20, Luke 23-34, John 19:23-24.
  10. Station 11 - Jesus is nailed to the cross. Matthew 27:35, Mark 15:24, Luke 23:33, John 19:17-18
  11. Station 12 - Jesus dies on the cross. Matthew 27:45-50, Mark 15:33-37, Luke 23:44-46, John 19:28-30
  12. Station 13 - Jesus is taken down from the cross. Matthew 27:57-58, Mark 15:42-46, Luke 23:50-53, John 19:38
  13. Station 14 - Jesus is placed in the Sepulcher. Matthew 27:59-60, Mark 15:46, Luke 23:53, John 19:40-42

I have a question about the Stations of the Cross. As I understand it, the Catholic church teaches that these are a sequence of events that took place from the time Jesus was condemned until His body was laid in the tomb. Some of the events depicted don't seem to be found in Scripture, at least I haven't found them. Below I have listed the stations with what references I could find to support them. I'm curious where the rest come from. Can anyone shed some light?
  1. Station 1 - Jesus condemned to death. Matthew 27:25, Mark 15:15, Luke 23:23-25, John 19:16
  2. Station 2 - Jesus is made to bear His cross. John 19:17 is the only gospel that mentions this. The other three say Simon of Cyrene was compelled to carry it for Him.
  3. Station 3 - Jesus falling the first time. I find no reference in Scripture that speaks of this taking place. That's not to say it didn't but it's not recorded in Scripture that I could find.
  4. Station 4 - Jesus meeting His mother. I find no reference in Scripture that speaks of this taking place during His journey to Golgotha. That's not to say it didn't but it's not recorded in Scripture that I could find. John's gospel does record Jesus meeting His mother but it was after He was crucified. John 19:25-27
  5. Station 6 - Veronica wipes Jesus' face. I find no reference in Scripture that speaks of this taking place. In fact, I find no mention of any woman named Veronica in all of Scripture including Catholic editions. That's not to say it didn't happen but it's not recorded in Scripture that I could find.
  6. Station 7 - Jesus falls a second time. I find no reference in Scripture that speaks of this taking place. That's not to say it didn't but it's not recorded in Scripture that I could find.
  8. Station 9 - Jesus falls the third time. I find no reference in Scripture that speaks of this taking place. That's not to say it didn't but it's not recorded in Scripture that I could find.
  9. Station 10 - Jesus stripped of His garments. Matthew 27:27-28 and again in verse 35, Mark 15:16-20, Luke 23-34, John 19:23-24.
  10. Station 11 - Jesus is nailed to the cross. Matthew 27:35, Mark 15:24, Luke 23:33, John 19:17-18
  11. Station 12 - Jesus dies on the cross. Matthew 27:45-50, Mark 15:33-37, Luke 23:44-46, John 19:28-30
  12. Station 13 - Jesus is taken down from the cross. Matthew 27:57-58, Mark 15:42-46, Luke 23:50-53, John 19:38
  13. Station 14 - Jesus is placed in the Sepulcher. Matthew 27:59-60, Mark 15:46, Luke 23:53, John 19:40-42
This is a catholic thing, maybe a tradition?

I remember this as a child, my mother took us almost every Sunday and we would go the rounds of the Stations of the cross.

I remeber at each station there would be a bench to kneel and pray, there was also a locked money box to donate. The stations were quite exstensive and had cement statues of Jesus, mary and other saints.

The website here

Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine

Apologies if I did not answer your question.

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping some of our Catholic members would be able to chime in. If all of this is based on Scriptural references, I'm failing to find some of them as I noted. If there is some tradition behind it, I'm wondering where that comes from and why some of these stations exist at all.

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping some of our Catholic members would be able to chime in. If all of this is based on Scriptural references, I'm failing to find some of them as I noted. If there is some tradition behind it, I'm wondering where that comes from and why some of these stations exist at all.
Will reply little later.

Christ established a church to teach the truth; not a publishing house.

Christ and His church are one inseparable unity! Acts 9:4 Jn 15:5 acts 1:8 eph 5:24 eph 5:32

Why is it required to be found in scripture to be truth revealed by God?

Where in the Bible does it say that everything Christ did and taught, or everything we are to believe is restricted to the Bible. (John 21:25) says that not everything Christ did and taught is in the Bible. Yet (Matt 28:19 & 28:20)has Christ commanding the Apostles to teach all that He taught them.

Scripture Verses that contradict the “Bible is our ONLY AUTHORITY”!

Matt 5:14
Matt 6:33
Matt 13:11
Matt 18:17
Matt 28:19
Lk 1:4
Lk 10:16
Jn 8:32
Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21
Acts 1:8
Acts 2:42
Acts 8:26
Acts 8:31
Acts 18:25
Rom 10:15
1 cor 4:11
1 cor 11:23
1 thes 2:23
2 thes 2:2
2 thes 2:15
Col 2:7
Eph 4:5
Heb 13:7
Heb 13:17
1 Tim 3:15
1 Jn 1:3-5
1 Jn 4:6
2 Jn 1:12
Jude 1:3

How can it be said scripture is “sole authority” or the only source of truth or the rule of faith when scripture itself says we must hear the church Matt 18:17 the apostles are the light of the world Matt 5:14 we must hold the doctrine of the apostles acts 2:42 the church is the pillar and ground of truth 1 Tim 3:15

Catholic argument: "but our church is established by God so everything it says must be reliable no matter how illogical/unBiblical!!"

There is no Biblical evidence or otherwise suggesting Catholic was the 1st church. Orthodox claim the same thing.
The reality is, NEITHER church was 1st.
And it's the CATHOLICS who tried to stop the Bible from being free to read by the masses.
Look up "snake in the vatican".

Christ and His church are one inseparable unity! Acts 9:4 Jn 15:5 acts 1:8 eph 5:24 eph 5:32

Where in the Bible does it say that everything Christ did and taught, or everything we are to believe is restricted to the Bible. (John 21:25) says that not everything Christ did and taught is in the Bible. Yet (Matt 28:19 & 28:20)has Christ commanding the Apostles to teach all that He taught them.

How can it be said scripture is “sole authority” or the only source of truth or the rule of faith when scripture itself says we must hear the church Matt 18:17 the apostles are the light of the world Matt 5:14 we must hold the doctrine of the apostles acts 2:42 the church is the pillar and ground of truth 1 Tim 3:15
The church refers to BORN AGAIN BELIEVERS.
not compromised people who do necromancy & idolatry.

What does this have to do with answering the questions I have asked? You have not answered any of my questions.

Catholic argument: "but our church is established by God so everything it says must be reliable no matter how illogical/unBiblical!!"

There is no Biblical evidence or otherwise suggesting Catholic was the 1st church. Orthodox claim the same thing.
And it's the CATHOLICS who tried to stop the Bible from being free to read by the masses.
What does this have to do with the topic at hand? I asked some questions but have not received any answers.

Original KJV had the 73 books of the
Cannon approved by the council of Rome and promulgated by papal authority in 381!

The authority of Christ in His apostolic church gave is the authentic scriptures, and the authentic interpretation!

For hundreds of years the authority of Christ acted and operated in His apostolic church without scripture, and the apostolic church wrote the New Testament. NT Cannon approved by the pope in 381

The apostolic church is not dependent upon scripture:
The apostolic church does not need scripture to know truth, Christ taught “all truth” Jude 1:3 to His apostolic church in person for three years, the church does not need scripture to exercise her authority from Christ to teach and sanctify all nations unto eternal salvation, and to govern the church.

And it was those monks that spent their lives copying scripture, Bibles or individual books were very rare and very expensive. After the printing press until the mass production of the 20th century, and until then most peoples were illiterate. So without monks you would not have scripture!

Blind or illiterate and cannot read scripture. (Most people before the 20th century were illiterate)
Bibles we’re Rare & Expensive (even after the printing press)
Faith cometh by hearing not reading.
The church of the apostles are lead into all truth Jn 16:13 and they are commanded to teach all men! Matt 28:19 Luke 1:4 acts 1:8 acts 8:31 Acts 4:1-2 Acts 18:25 Matt 18:17 hear the church 1 Tim 3:15 church is the pillar of truth! Church of the apostles is the light of the world! Matt 5:14

The “Bible alone” could not be a Christian’s rule of faith or source of truth!

The Bible alone does not teach the doctrine of the “Bible alone”.

Biblical reference to authority other than the Bible alone.
Matt 16:18-19
Matt 18:18
Matt 28:18-20
Jn 20:21-23

The word of God is not limited to scripture alone!

When God called abram, Moses, the prophets, John the Baptist, and apostles it was not by the “Bible alone” Lk 3:2 the word of God came to John in the wilderness… a book did not fall out of the sky.

There is no list of scripture in scripture!

How does a person know what books, chapters, and verses are scripture and which ones are not?

The word of God is not limited to the “Bible alone”!

The word of God came to Abraham, to Moses, the prophets, and to John the Baptist in the wilderness (Lk3:2) but it did not come by the Bible, or the “Bible alone” not by any book, chapter, or verse!

Scripture all scripture is inspired, all the books and chapters of the canonical scripture authorized by Christ and His church!

The teaching authority of the apostles is the God breathed word of God!

Jn 20:23 He breathed on them (the apostles) and said receive the Holy Spirit…

Lk 10:16 he who hears you (the apostles) hears me. (Hears the word of God)

Jn 20:21 as the father sent me, I send you.

Acts 2:42 the doctrine of the apostles is the word of God!

Matt 28:18-20

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The church refers to BORN AGAIN BELIEVERS.
not compromised people who do necromancy & idolatry.
Believers are not even Christians but only catechumens
Only those who are members of Christ by faith and baptism are Christians!

And the church is visible and invisible
Spiritual and physical and supernatural!

The ark of salvation and the means of grace!

To reject the apostolic church and divine revelation is to reject Christ who founded the church and revealed the truth!

Only Christ has authority to establish the church! Matt 16:18-19
One church! Jn 10:16 All others are sects “full of errors” “the tradition of men”! The new covenant Church is the eternal city of God! Household of faith! The pillar and ground of TRUTH! 1 Tim 3:15 Founded by Christ alone! Matt 16:18 on Peter and the apostles! Eph 2:20

The church is of divine origin and cannot be corrupted or reformed by the tradition of men! Truth is immutable!

The church possesses all the graces and merits of Christ, all the mysteries of God and the scripture, which are the testimony of the church about Christ.

The church the only ark of salvation, the household of faith and is not spiritual to the exclusion of the physical or invisible to the exclusion of the visible but, visible, invisible, spiritual, physical, and supernatural of divine origin and therefore divine preservation! Matt 16:18-19 Jn 8:32 Jn 16:13 Jn 10:16

The church is founded by Christ and the sacraments are instituted by Christ for the salvation of all men!

The church and the sacraments are the necessary for and the means of salvation and the life of grace!

Christ is the source of all grace and truth! Jn 1:16-17

The sufficiency of Christ provides the means salvation to all men!
Jn 1:29

What does this have to do with answering the questions I have asked? You have not answered any of my questions.
We don’t believe the doctrine of “sola scriptura” or the Bible is the only authority, they are by the authority of the apostolic church founded by Christ!

Matt 16:18-19 & 18:18 bound on earth

Thanks

We don’t believe the doctrine of “sola scriptura” or the Bible is the only authority, they are by the authority of the apostolic church founded by Christ!

Thanks
Okay. How does that answer my question? I see this all the time in Christian discussions. Someone asks a question and those who respond get defensive and evasive right away rather than simply answering the question. It's too bad.

The church is of divine origin and cannot be corrupted or reformed by the tradition of men! Truth is immutable!
This is precisely why catholic church cannot be Jesus' Church.

It is compromised with necromancy, idolatry, and other forms of compromise.

Thanks
There is no new Biblical revelation. 66 Books & that's all.
The Apocrypha has flaws - therefore it's not Inspired Scripture.

This is precisely why catholic church cannot be Jesus' Church.

It is compromised with necromancy, idolatry, and other forms of compromise.
Never did

Do you deny the guarantee of the Holy Spirit?

Jn 16:13 leads the apostolic church into all truth and holiness

There is no new Biblical revelation. 66 Books & that's all.
The Apocrypha has flaws - therefore it's not Inspired Scripture.
How do you know it’s 66 books with missing chapters like Dan 13 & 14 and not 73 like it was approved in 381 and remained till the tradition of men in the English Bible society deleted them

Do you believe the Bible is the only authority?

How do you know it’s 66 books with missing chapters like Dan 13 & 14 and not 73 like it was approved in 381 and remained till the tradition of men in the English Bible society deleted them

Do you believe the Bible is the only authority?
There is no evidence the 7 other books were ever in the Bible itself to begin with.
Since the Bible has only 66 books, apparently you believe man is more powerful than God?? if they were Biblical, why were THE NON-66 not entering the Bible - and not any of the 66??
Or, WHY ARENT THEY IN ANY CREDIBLE BIBLE TRANSLATION??
You cannot answer - for the simple reason God kept His Word from the Errorpocrypha.
66 Books. Not 65 or 67.

So you believe God's Word is NOT the only authority - MAN can be too.
the REAL CHURCH refers to a BODY OF BELIEVERS. Obviously, it is made up of HUMANS.
Apparently you believe that HUMANS are an authority too.

Back