Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Streaming All Video Content

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Mike

I found this interesting, because my son streams everything up at school. They have no cable or satellite TV. See the pic showing a graph from different age groups. The youngest group is much more likely to cut their cable provider and stream everything. I'm old, so I can't comprehend how you'd get everything you could get from cable.

20160323cordcuttingbi.png_zpsfig8wnha.jpeg

http://www.businessinsider.com/cord-cutting-intentions-2016-3

Anti-TV elitist snobs aside who say they don't watch TV, is there anyone who relies on streaming from the Internet? If so, what age group are you in, and do you feel like you get everything? Curious.

I found this interesting, because my son streams everything up at school. They have no cable or satellite TV. See the pic showing a graph from different age groups. The youngest group is much more likely to cut their cable provider and stream everything. I'm old, so I can't comprehend how you'd get everything you could get from cable.

Anti-TV elitist snobs aside who say they don't watch TV, is there anyone who relies on streaming from the Internet? If so, what age group are you in, and do you feel like you get everything? Curious.
So because some don't watch tv they are snobs.

Yes they are. Sometimes. Some people look down on people who watch TV. I was just being my typical hilarious self when I said that, though. Just joking. I'd tell you not to derail my thread, but it looks like the topic is a dud anyway. :wink

Yes they are. Sometimes. Some people look down on people who watch TV. I was just being my typical hilarious self when I said that, though. Just joking. I'd tell you not to derail my thread, but it looks like the topic is a dud anyway. :wink
I was rather offended.i don't look down those that do.just I generally don't care too because of the filth and promotion of sin.I'm not in any position to claim I'm holier then those that do.I have streamed videos via hulu,and my smart phone

Not "holier than thou". The snobbery I'm talking about is more like "more intellectual than thou" and "more into the great outdoors than thou". Come on... You know me better than to think I'm being mean spirited. I'm a lover; not a fighter. :)

Not "holier than thou". The snobbery I'm talking about is more like "more intellectual than thou" and "more into the great outdoors than thou". Come on... You know me better than to think I'm being mean spirited. I'm a lover; not a fighter. :)
lol

We ditched cable television about two years ago. When it got up to $130.00 for that and internet we decided that's a lot of money to just watch the news 5 nights out of the week.

You had to have a lot of extras and several TV's to get to that point. We have 3 TV's with HD receivers for Directv, and it's not even close to that! We've been with them for 16 years, so I think there's some customer loyalty discounts built into our price.

You had to have a lot of extras and several TV's to get to that point. We have 3 TV's with HD receivers for Directv, and it's not even close to that! We've been with them for 16 years, so I think there's some customer loyalty discounts built into our price.
148 plus.so you were saying. I do have cable, but if you cancel cable and use Internet and hulu etc.it's cheaper

I'm trying to get out of the cable package but can't find anything.
I look at hulu, amazonprime, netflix, they don't give you a straight answer or show what programming they offer.
The internet offerings advertise $19.99 a month.
You go on their sights and everything starts at $44.99 for 6 months.
Nobody is straight forward about anything, they're all crooks.
I'll stay where I am until I can find someone who really wants my business and will treat me right.
Why switch from one crook to another?

According to the chart I guess I'm a Baby Boomer. I've been internet only for about 6 years now meaning no cable, no satellite, not even an antenna for old fashioned broadcast TV. I have DSL internet for $23/month, Netflix for $10/month, and Magic Jack phone with unlimited free nationwide + Canada calling for a couple dollars per month. So for less than $40/month I have my telephone, TV with more on demand commercial free movies and TV shows than I could ever want, and high speed internet where I can stream current news, weather, and other things Netflix doesn't provide.

I really don't miss anything, and in reality have a lot better service than when I was paying $140/month for Direct TV plus more $ for my internet and telephone. I often house sit for a friend here in town to take care of his dogs when he's gone. He always talks about his Comcast TV/internet service like if letting me watch it is a reward for house sitting for him. To be honest, after about 30 minutes or so of his Cable TV with it's long strings of commercials and hundreds of channels of stuff I don't care about, I shut it off, take out my laptop, and open up Netflix. And although his Comcast cable internet is faster than my DSL, it's really hard to tell the difference with what I use it for.

We ditched cable television about two years ago. When it got up to $130.00 for that and internet we decided that's a lot of money to just watch the news 5 nights out of the week.

They must be giving you some kind of special deal. I used to have Direct TV, just the basic package and 1 HD receiver, 1 regular receiver, and 2 TVs. It was costing me around $140/month. The only deals that were cheaper were the introductory deals that get you hooked and then after a few months the price goes through the roof. It's true I had a ton of channels (can't even remember how many) but 90% of them had nothing but garbage that no one wants to watch (endless "infomercials", etc). Most of what I did want to watch I missed because my schedule didn't match theirs. The times I did find a show that I wanted to watch there were so many commercials in a row (usually 15 or more!) by the time they got back to the show I'd forgotten what I was even watching. It really felt like the only purpose for the show was to give me just barely enough to keep me around to watch the commercials.

Easily getting the news was one advantage to direct TV or cable TV, but it just wasn't worth the tons of money for that. I finally realized that all the news they showed was really questionable as to truthfulness anyway, was always bad, and was always something I couldn't do anything to change anyway. When I dumped Direct TV and quit watching all those news channels every day I was surprised at how much more positive my outlook on life became. There are plenty of internet sources where I can catch up on a little bit of news once in a while for free when I want to.

So overall I've been completely free of every type of media other than internet sources for at least 6 years now and never plan to go back.

Obadiah where have you been all my thread? :)

You are bucking the trend of your demographic. Ahead of the curve. Questions for you... I know you don't like channels with commercials and such, but could you watch something on a major network, AMC, or ESPN if you wanted to? It's hard for me to conceive of getting access to live programming.

I recall now that our monthly price with Directv was chopped around 5 years ago when Comcast came acalling in our area. They had a deal that I made Directv commit to for as long as we stayed put. We added two HD receivers which bumped us up some but not much, and that was our decision. Interestingly, I keep what we have for our teens' sake mostly, but if this study is accurate, this might be pointless. Our son is away at college, and our teenage girls aren't very techy, so I'm guessing they wouldn't fit the model.

Been streaming for 9-10 years...

Can't complain. Internet bill is plenty high here in Nashville... Cable is even higher. Since they are all owned by the same company its all the same price no matter if it's a dish or cable. $150+

Internet alone is about half that. So guess what we have. Between BellSouth and Comcast it's just too much. So I started streaming video.

Hulu, Crackle, Netflix and Amazon and I can't remember the others. Hulu and Crackle have commercials. Some networks stream their own stuff independent.

Haven't kept up on Hulu lately... Their programming isn't great any more as they want a subscription for some stuff... Meh
Don't care about Showtime or whatnots.

There are always some kind of small time streamers about too...but they will bootleg and pirate movies...some have old stuff that's beyond the copyright.

I like streaming because you can keep up when there are two part series or episodes dependant upon last episodes.

LOL! I've been sleeping after being up for 36 hours! I guess I am a bit ahead of the curve, aren't I? But I think this is the way media is heading. Pretty soon if cable and satellite don't change to meet the demand they are going to lose out. I got the idea from a friend the same age as I who works for a company installing Direct TV setups in new construction. They offered him FREE Direct TV as a perk and he turned them down! He said he tried it, and compared to Netflix he would never watch it so why bother having it at all!

Sports (like ESPN) is probably not so easy. I live by myself and am not a big fan of watching sports alone. I like the group dynamic of a bunch of friends getting together to cheer, etc. so I usually get invited to someone else's party. The money I'm saving pays for a lot of chips and dip to bring to someone else's house! But my neighbor is a big sports fan. He looked at what I was doing and decided that for him it was worth the money to be able to have channels like ESPN. He's big into politics too, so he likes having all the 24 hour news channels. But he's an older guy with a lot of physical problems so he doesn't have much he can do anymore other than sit around and watch TV all day and all night. He gets a lot of use out of his Direct TV money.

I have heard of people finding live programming for things like sports on the internet, but I haven't put out the effort to find out how. I have a feeling in time there will probably be a Netflix like service that will provide that kind of programing if there isn't one already. There's new stuff in this area coming out all the time.

AMC is the movie channel? Am I remembering that right? If so, Netflix takes care of that and then some. They have something like 3000 movies on demand with no interruptions. Plus they have tons of regular TV shows all on demand with no interruptions as well as a lot of original shows they've been developing. I've gotta say too, at first I didn't think their original shows weren't so great, but they've been working on it and now a lot of them are pretty good!

According to the chart I guess I'm a Baby Boomer. I've been internet only for about 6 years now meaning no cable, no satellite, not even an antenna for old fashioned broadcast TV. I have DSL internet for $23/month, Netflix for $10/month, and Magic Jack phone with unlimited free nationwide + Canada calling for a couple dollars per month. So for less than $40/month I have my telephone, TV with more on demand commercial free movies and TV shows than I could ever want, and high speed internet where I can stream current news, weather, and other things Netflix doesn't provide.

I really don't miss anything, and in reality have a lot better service than when I was paying $140/month for Direct TV plus more $ for my internet and telephone. I often house sit for a friend here in town to take care of his dogs when he's gone. He always talks about his Comcast TV/internet service like if letting me watch it is a reward for house sitting for him. To be honest, after about 30 minutes or so of his Cable TV with it's long strings of commercials and hundreds of channels of stuff I don't care about, I shut it off, take out my laptop, and open up Netflix. And although his Comcast cable internet is faster than my DSL, it's really hard to tell the difference with what I use it for.

They must be giving you some kind of special deal. I used to have Direct TV, just the basic package and 1 HD receiver, 1 regular receiver, and 2 TVs. It was costing me around $140/month. The only deals that were cheaper were the introductory deals that get you hooked and then after a few months the price goes through the roof. It's true I had a ton of channels (can't even remember how many) but 90% of them had nothing but garbage that no one wants to watch (endless "infomercials", etc). Most of what I did want to watch I missed because my schedule didn't match theirs. The times I did find a show that I wanted to watch there were so many commercials in a row (usually 15 or more!) by the time they got back to the show I'd forgotten what I was even watching. It really felt like the only purpose for the show was to give me just barely enough to keep me around to watch the commercials.

Easily getting the news was one advantage to direct TV or cable TV, but it just wasn't worth the tons of money for that. I finally realized that all the news they showed was really questionable as to truthfulness anyway, was always bad, and was always something I couldn't do anything to change anyway. When I dumped Direct TV and quit watching all those news channels every day I was surprised at how much more positive my outlook on life became. There are plenty of internet sources where I can catch up on a little bit of news once in a while for free when I want to.

So overall I've been completely free of every type of media other than internet sources for at least 6 years now and never plan to go back.

Do you pay for an anti-virus service?

While I currently live with my parents, before I came here and was living with my wife we didn't have cable. We used a broadcast antenna and Netflix for the longest time. Then last summer I learned about Android TV boxes.

Instead of paying the $160+ for the box and setup, I went home and researched what was in one of those boxes and found that I could download one of the Apps in the box and use that. So that is what I do at my mom's even though they have cable.

I can watch my shows whenever I want and not rely on a DVR box. The only thing paid for is the internet and I am using my computer to run the App.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back