Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Struggling with finding the right church or domination.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Clueless

Hello everyone,

This week I posted a Welcome tread on the forum to explain a little bit about my past faith, disbelief and how I found my way back to God.
You don't need to read the above post in order to answer my questions, but it might give you some insight in my recent life, to help you form your answer.

As Christianity is not new for me, the different dominations and churches are. Over the past year I have visited a few churches including the local Cathedral, another Catholic church near my home, two several protestant churches (dutch reformed > Calvinist and Lutheran), as well as a JW church. I wanted to visit an eastern orthodox church, but have not been able to get there in my city yet.

I have gotten to a point where I need to make a commitment to a church, maybe not so much to be part of specific religious domination, but to be able to surround myself with like-minded people, as well as being able to contribute to the local society. I understand that ''belief'' or ''faith'' itself is not enough, in order to become a more complete and moral human being, I should participate in the communities and I would like to join a biblical class as well as getting baptized.

This is the part where I struggle. I see the value of the major groups; catholics, eastern orthodox and protestant groups very well. Were it seems to me that the protestant group is less dependant on rituals and focus more on the biblical text, which is something that fits my individualitic mind and heritage. At the same time, catholisism or eastern orthodox, seems to value traditions more and long standing religious classic ways of life. Which attached a lot to my political and society view and conservative opinions.

Feel free to tell me ''pick A because of this and that'' but I'd also appreciate some advice that is practical. Like advice to read up on something, or who to speak to inside of the different communities to find this out. I don't want to be ''pulled into'' something by someone. Obviously the eastern orthodox will tell me their church is supreme, while my catholic housemate will say his church is supreme.

I hope you all understand what I'm asking! If not, I'll be happy to clarify.

This question has two possible answers that I am aware of:
1) Tradition (the R.C. church) which says the official channels of the R.C. church will determine truth including the inclusion of the apocrypha as part to the Bible
2) Sola Scriptura ... the only source of truth is the Bible
This is a very astute observation and that is something that I do need to explore more.
Theology introduces us to an unseen world, (...) Author Unknown
For me personally, when I read the bible, I start out with making notes on topics or terms that I do not yet understand, or want to know more about. I try to minimize this, otherwise I wouldn't be able to finish any bible chapter. What I think is interesting is your sentence ''Ideally all facts forming a doctrine are harmonious''.

While some seem contradicting, I feel like many of Jesus his teaching to the Pharisees was giving closing answers to paradoxes or questions inside of the old testament, or using 1 part of the scripture to define another.
Next Question
(...)

Aside: I read your "Back to Jesus" thread. You write very well for someone for which English is a second language. Interesting story. Your question shows wisdom. Hope you find truth. Few do. "small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
I'd be very much interested in that book fastfredy0! I am willing to always learn more!

Thanks for your elaborate answer, it gave me some helpful thoughts on how to improve myself and I'm happy I've learned a bit more.

First you need to pray (...)

God bless and have a great day.
It's some very valuable advice. If I understood you well, you're saying that if I ask my questions to Pastor or Priests, it's not necessarily a ''A or B'' answer I should get, but in the ideal situation will put me on a path of truth seeking, by reading up more or specific bilbe books / chapters that guide me to find the truth?

For me personally, when I read the bible, I start out with making notes on topics or terms that I do not yet understand, or want to know more about.
Organization of ideas is VERY helpful. I have a 1,000 page document of notes I've made over 11 years on biblical ideas that can be substantiated by scripture. Systematic books written by others are very helpful.

What I think is interesting is your sentence ''Ideally all facts forming a doctrine are harmonious''.

While some seem contradicting
Once you have harmony you probably got most things correct. As some things are not fully explained, you will always have questions.

I'd be very much interested in that book @fastfredy0!
Give my your email address and I will send you a copy. (I think I have 10ish other Systematic Theology books by other authors. We'll see what you think after you read this one)

Thanks for your elaborate answer, it gave me some helpful thoughts on how to improve myself and I'm happy I've learned a bit more.
... keep in mind, maybe I am the one leading down the 'rabbit trail'. I hope not as I am on the same trail. *giggle*
What did Ronald Reagan say, "Trust but verify".

by reading up more or specific bilbe books / chapters that guide me to find the truth?
Again, truth on many subjects if spread out amongst many books of the bible. Somehow, you must organize these many truths spread out over the bible into a cohesive whole to be able to best figure it out. For example, I have 48 verses alluding to how God controls evil. It would be very difficult to find them all by reading the bible book by book and that is only 1 topic of many in the bible. Men have spent 10s of thousands or hours organizing by topic. It is a superior way to go IMO. (Aside: I once read about the Dallas Theological Seminary courses and 30-40% were devoted to systematic theology.

Later

It's some very valuable advice. If I understood you well, you're saying that if I ask my questions to Pastor or Priests, it's not necessarily a ''A or B'' answer I should get, but in the ideal situation will put me on a path of truth seeking, by reading up more or specific bilbe books / chapters that guide me to find the truth?
There is no A or B answer, but only truth that is found in the Bible. Any Pastor or Priest should be able and approachable to sit down with you and answer your questions using scripture so that you can read it for yourself as you allow the Holy Spirit to give you understanding. None of us knows everything, including any Clergy, as no one could ever exhaust the teachings found in the Bible. When someone ask me questions and I don't know the answer I will tell them I will look for the answer and get back to them. Not everyone will do this.

There is no A or B answer, but only truth that is found in the Bible. Any Pastor or Priest should be able and approachable to sit down with you and answer your questions using scripture so that you can read it for yourself as you allow the Holy Spirit to give you understanding. None of us knows everything, including any Clergy, as no one could ever exhaust the teachings found in the Bible. When someone ask me questions and I don't know the answer I will tell them I will look for the answer and get back to them. Not everyone will do this.
Thanks, very clear! It's what I thought your answer meant.

Organization of ideas is VERY helpful. I have a 1,000 page document of notes I've made over 11 years on biblical ideas that can be substantiated by scripture. Systematic books written by others are very helpful.

Once you have harmony you probably got most things correct. As some things are not fully explained, you will always have questions.

Give my your email address and I will send you a copy. (I think I have 10ish other Systematic Theology books by other authors. We'll see what you think after you read this one)

... keep in mind, maybe I am the one leading down the 'rabbit trail'. I hope not as I am on the same trail. *giggle*
What did Ronald Reagan say, "Trust but verify".

Again, truth on many subjects if spread out amongst many books of the bible. Somehow, you must organize these many truths spread out over the bible into a cohesive whole to be able to best figure it out. For example, I have 48 verses alluding to how God controls evil. It would be very difficult to find them all by reading the bible book by book and that is only 1 topic of many in the bible. Men have spent 10s of thousands or hours organizing by topic. It is a superior way to go IMO. (Aside: I once read about the Dallas Theological Seminary courses and 30-40% were devoted to systematic theology.

Later
I've send you a DM (conversation message) with my mail address.

Hello everyone,

This week I posted a Welcome tread on the forum to explain a little bit about my past faith, disbelief and how I found my way back to God.
You don't need to read the above post in order to answer my questions, but it might give you some insight in my recent life, to help you form your answer.

As Christianity is not new for me, the different dominations and churches are. Over the past year I have visited a few churches including the local Cathedral, another Catholic church near my home, two several protestant churches (dutch reformed > Calvinist and Lutheran), as well as a JW church. I wanted to visit an eastern orthodox church, but have not been able to get there in my city yet.

I have gotten to a point where I need to make a commitment to a church, maybe not so much to be part of specific religious domination, but to be able to surround myself with like-minded people, as well as being able to contribute to the local society. I understand that ''belief'' or ''faith'' itself is not enough, in order to become a more complete and moral human being, I should participate in the communities and I would like to join a biblical class as well as getting baptized.

This is the part where I struggle. I see the value of the major groups; Catholics, eastern orthodox and protestant groups very well. Were it seems to me that the protestant group is less dependent on rituals and focus more on the biblical text, which is something that fits my individualistic mind and heritage. At the same time, Catholicism or eastern orthodox, seems to value traditions more and long standing religious classic ways of life. Which attached a lot to my political and society view and conservative opinions.

Feel free to tell me ''pick A because of this and that'' but I'd also appreciate some advice that is practical. Like advice to read up on something, or who to speak to inside of the different communities to find this out. I don't want to be ''pulled into'' something by someone. Obviously the eastern orthodox will tell me their church is supreme, while my catholic housemate will say his church is supreme.

I hope you all understand what I'm asking! If not, I'll be happy to clarify.

All Churches (religions) in this world are man-made ones, with one exception. The Catholic Church is the only God-made church (religion) in the world. So, do I want to trust my salvation to a man-made church, or to a God made Church?
Remember, only in the Catholic Church will you find the fullness of Christ's teachings.

All Churches (religions) in this world are man-made ones, with one exception. The Catholic Church is the only God-made church (religion) in the world. So, do I want to trust my salvation to a man-made church, or to a God made Church?
Remember, only in the Catholic Church will you find the fullness of Christ's teachings.
Hello zeland.
Gods' church is composed of individual people and only He knows who they are.
In the beginning of the church, no one man had supreme authority over all others.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back