Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Take the Pew Survey Quiz!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Dunno, at youth group we all took the quiz to see where we fit in... everyone scored 100% on the questions that matter.

The third question on my quiz was about what a laser is and I didn't read it right. I saw amplification and was like YUP but I neglected to see the word "sound".

You must have been taking some other quiz. Just in case there's someone who still hasn't taken the quiz that wants to without seeing all the questions first, I'll PM them to you rather than post them here. Tell me if this is the quiz you took.

Edit: Correction... The full report lists 32 questions about religion, but it appears that that's not the whole survey. I noticed a link to an apendix with a list of all the questions, 62 in all, which were about a number of things including, yes... lasers. There are some interesting questions there. If I have time later today, I'll put tother a list of them and post them here. It doesn't say what the correct answers were, but it could still be interesting to see how much we're sure about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took the same quiz that these people did (all 30 something questions). Only thing I got wrong was something about lasers or some such nonsense... What do lasers have to do with religion?

I didn't notice anything about lasers. What was the question?

Dunno, at youth group we all took the quiz to see where we fit in... everyone scored 100% on the questions that matter.

The third question on my quiz was about what a laser is and I didn't read it right. I saw amplification and was like YUP but I neglected to see the word "sound".

You must have been taking some other quiz. Just in case there's someone who still hasn't taken the quiz that wants to without seeing all the questions first, I'll PM them to you rather than post them here. Tell me if this is the quiz you took.

Edit: Correction... The full report lists 32 questions about religion, but it appears that that's not the whole survey. I noticed a link to an apendix with a list of all the questions, 62 in all, which were about a number of things including, yes... lasers. There are some interesting questions there. If I have time later today, I'll put tother a list of them and post them here. It doesn't say what the correct answers were, but it could still be interesting to see how much we're sure about.

It seems I was mistaken. After I had removed all the questions that had no "correct" answer, such as questions about gender, race, religious affiliation and so on, I was left with 34 questions. A few of them were about general knowledge and not religion in particular. The one about the lasers was one of those. I've put them all together and, if nobody objects (for example if someone has still to take the test and doesn't want to see the questions first), I'll post them here later tonight.

Atheists scored the best because most atheists have given a lot of thought to the idea of God and religion.

I got every one right except for the last question.
But I'm not surprsied by the results. Every day I go to school, I see how accurate this is.

Here are the questions as I promised, (albeit a little later than I said). I've taken out the ones about such things as gender, race, religous background and so on, that have no "correct" answer. These are the 34 questions that are left. Not all of them have to do with religion.

1. Can you please tell me the name of the vice president of the United States?

2. Do you happen to know which political party has a majority in the U.S. House of Representatives?
a. Democrats
b. Republicans
c. Other​

3. True or false: Lasers work by focusing sound waves

4. True or false: antibiotics will kill viruses as well as bacteria.

5. Which movement did Susan B. Anthony lead? The movement to …?
a. Give women the right to vote
b. Abolish Slavery
c. Prohibit alcohol​

6. Who wrote the novel Moby Dick? Was it…?
a. Herman Melville
b. Nathaniel Hawthorne
c. Edith Wharton
d. Stephen King​

7. When does the Jewish Sabbath begin? Does it begin on…?
a. Friday
b. Saturday
c. Sunday​

8. Is Ramadan
a. The Hindu festival of lights
b. A Jewish day of atonement
c. The Islamic holy month​

9. Do you happen to know which of these is the king of gods in ancient Greek mythology?
a. Zeus
b. Mars
c. Apollo​

10. Is an atheist someone who
a. Believes in God
b. Does NOT believe in God
c. Is unsure whether God exists​

11. Is an agnostic someone who
a. Believes in God
b. Does NOT believe in God
c. Is unsure whether God exists​

12. What is the first book of the Bible?

13. Will you tell me the names of the first four books of the New Testament of the Bible, that is the Four Gospels?

14. Where, according to the Bible, was Jesus born?
a. Bethlehem
b. Jericho
c. Jerusalem
d. Nazareth​

15. When was the Mormon religion founded?
a. Before the year 1200
b. Between 1200 and 1800
c. Sometime after 1800​

16. The Book of Mormon tells the story of Jesus Christ appearing to people in what area of the world?
a. The Americas
b. Middle East
c. Asia​

17. Which of the following best describes Catholic teaching about the bread and wine used for Communion?
a. The bread and wine actually _become_ the body and blood of Jesus Christ, or
b. The bread and wine are _symbols_ of the body and blood of Jesus Christ​

18. Which of these religious groups traditionally teaches that salvation comes through faith alone?
a. Only Protestants
b. Only Catholics
c. Both Protestants and Catholics
d. Neither Protestants nor Catholics​

19. Please tell me which of the following is NOT one of the Ten Commandments:
a. Do not commit adultery
b. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
c. Do not steal
d. Keep the Sabbath holy​

20. Which Bible figure is most closely associated with remaining obedient to God despite suffering?
a. Job
b. Elijah
c. Moses
d. Abraham​

21. Which Bible figure is most closely associated with leading the exodus from Egypt?
a. Job
b. Elijah
c. Moses
d. Abraham​

22. Willingness to sacrifice his son for God
a. Job
b. Elijah
c. Moses
d. Abraham​

23. Would you tell me if Mother Teresa was Catholic,
a. Jewish
b. Buddhist
c. Mormon
d. Hindu
e. Other​

24. Would you tell me if the Dalai Lama is
a. Jewish
b. Buddhist
c. Mormon
d. Hindu
e. Other​

25. Would you tell me if the Joseph Smith was
a. Jewish
b. Buddhist
c. Mormon
d. Hindu
e. Other​

26. Would you tell me if the Maimonides was
a. Jewish
b. Buddhist
c. Mormon
d. Hindu
e. Other​

27. Which of the following statements best describes what the U.S. Constitution says about religion?
a. Christianity should be given special emphasis by the government
b. The government shall neither establish a religion nor interfere with the practice of religion, or
c. The Constitution does not say anything one way or the other about religion​

28. According to rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court, is a public school teacher permitted to,
a. Lead a class in prayer
b. Read from the Bible as an example of literature
c. Offer a class comparing the world‟s religions​

29. Do you happen to know what religion most people in India consider themselves? Is that…?
a. Buddhist
b. Hindu
c. Muslim
d. Christian​

30. Do you happen to know what religion most people in Indonesia consider themselves? Is that…?
a. Buddhist
b. Hindu
c. Muslim
d. Christian​

31. Do you happen to know what religion most people in Pakistan consider themselves? Is that…?
a. Buddhist
b. Hindu
c. Muslim
d. Christian​

32. What was the name of the person whose writings and actions inspired the Protestant Reformation?
a. Martin Luther
b. Thomas Aquinas
c. John Wesley​

33. Which of these people developed the theory of evolution by natural selection?
a. Charles Darwin
b. Sigmund Freud
c. Clarence Darrow​

34. Which of these court trials focused on whether evolution could be taught in public schools?
a. The Scopes trial
b. The Salem witch trials
c. Brown vs. Board of Education​

Aaaaarghhh!!!! I couldn't remember the name of the vice-President of the United States! You know, What's-His-Name.

Sorry, Theo. I got the Susan B. Anthony question wrong, not the laser one! (Looking at my quiz I took w/ corrections). I said she was part of the abolitionist movement (which is also true), but the correct answer was sufferage

Oh boy, this survey is really something…

A popular (Boston area, 96.9FM, 2-4PM) talk show yesterday concluded just as Gendou Ikari did on the matter: Atheists have given the issue much more thought, and have rightly decided that there is no god. This is a short-sighted conclusion, however.

The real reason for the shortfall in knowledge among the faithful is that the majority of churches fail to teach their congregants what the bible actually says. Many don’t have bibles in the pews. Most church attendees don’t bring their own bibles to church (if they have them at all), relying instead on the printed scripture readings that their church provides in the bulletin. Ask these same questions of Christians who spend at least an hour a day studying their faith rather than fulfilling a perceived obligation or satisfying a cultural expectation, and the numbers would be different.

Probably, at least half of self proclaimed Christians operate under a works-based theology that contradicts the bible. I saw this sentiment recently exhibited in a bumper sticker that read, “I hope God’s not too pickyâ€. That’s cute and everything, but it demonstrates just what most “Christians†falsely believe and teach: if you’re good enough, you’ll get in…

Many Atheists/Agnostics come from a Christian upbringing that stresses moral behavior rather than having a relationship with God. These people have been taught by teachers like those described in 2 Peter 2 and 2 Timothy 4. Christians should not be at all surprised by this. I am not the only person here who was raised very Christian, and ended up being an Atheist. I praise God that He granted me faith anyway.

Also, from a Calvinist’s perspective, I see that people expect that if biblical teaching were “done properly†that the number of Christians would increase dramatically. This is not so. God has long ago decided whom He will grant faith to. Period. There is no human, intellectual effort that will change the number of souls in Heaven. We should expect unregenerate folks to be in the pews and even in the pulpit and we should expect them to misunderstand and misrepresent the Word. We should expect them to spend little time considering God and His character: they are tares in wheat's clothing.

I got one wrong, BTW. Jewish Sabbath begins at sundown on Friday. I should have know that… Now I do.

HisSheep

hissheep are you a five point or a three point calvinist, and i dont accept calvinist views totally.

outside of the obvious verses that state whomesever will may come.

i have issues with the deeds of calvin. a whole lot.

hissheep are you a five point or a three point calvinist, and i dont accept calvinist views totally.

Hi Jasoncran,

This post will be out of place here, but where shall I answer?

I'm just a straight-up Calvinist. I don't really like the "5-point" / "3-point" thing... or the T.U.L.I.P. thing either. Calvin never used them. I only apply the term "Calvinist" to myself, because that's what Christendom would call me if I described my interpretation. I'm just speaking in the language of others when I say “Calvinistâ€. I just study the bible regularly, and I have read Calvin's Institutes carefully. Calvin had an awful lot to say about all things Christian (baptism, redemption, communion, regeneration, sin, etc) and you'd be very likely to agree with practically all of it. (Maybe you've read it?) The only point that he made that became a controversy, and became his name sake, was the doctrine of sovereign election. Now-a-days the same doctrine is more easily taught as "grace".

i have issues with the deeds of calvin. a whole lot.

As for Calvin's personal character... I don't worship Calvin. He was just another fallen man; a wretch like me! I also follow the teachings of Solomon, who took hundreds of gentile wives and worshipped their gods. It would be a tragedy to discount Ecclesiastes based on the author's shortcomings. Many people also would like to toss out the U.S. Constitution because Thomas Jefferson had considerable flaws.

The only way that I can reconcile all of scripture in my own mind is to accept that God has a plan and that it is unfolding before our eyes. Far too much of scripture discusses God’s absolute control over everything for me to feel comfortable holding any view that takes any control out of God’s hand. So I don’t even need to associate my views with the man Calvin at all. I agree with John MacArthur, too. Call me a MacArthurist!

outside of the obvious verses that state whomesever will may come.

Yes, I am familiar with such verses. I think that most people take them the wrong way (honestly). Take for example, the famous John 3:16. When the text says “whoever†(NIV) or “whosoeverâ€(KJV) we should not read this in such a way that the verse means “anyone may believe, it’s all up to themâ€, but “those who do believe†or “those who will believeâ€. This rightly leaves the decision making up to God. The ambiguous nature of the term applies here because WE don’t know who is implied, but God surely does.

I liken it to a box of balls of various sizes. If I put the balls through a screen that will pass only balls of a certain size or smaller, I may correctly say that I will take with me “whichsoever†balls come out of the box. This does not mean that “any ball†may come out, however. I determine which balls come out based on what size screen I use. Nevertheless, it is true that “whichsoever†balls come out are the ones I will take.

I know that Arminians and Roman Catholics disagree, but they have a great many more verses (and entire chapters) to mitigate than I do. (2 Thes 2:13, John 15:19, Mat 22:14, Rom 8:33, 1Pet 2:9, Mark 13:20 1Cor 4:7, 1Cor 7:14, Acts 17:26, Eph 2:10 and Psalm 139 are just a very few.)

I agree with the Westminster Confession, right down the line.

-HisSheep

without making the posioning well mistake. i do believe that the person who makes a statement on the bible must actually live the bible.

that itsself is in another thread. one that i would have to reasearch a lot and need to find plausiable links to calvin openly stating that jews must be eliminated or others christians.

and be done with sensitivity.

no one to the statement of the john 3:16

i simply think the verse that says the lord desires none to perish, is the best one. he knows who wont follow him but he lets them choose their fate. He merely offers the cure for sin, they refused it.

he neither makes them sin or withholds the cure. all may come. their choice.

i cant find it loving when God made men to be the materal that stokes the fires of hell.

Interesting. Unfortunately, as the link says it is a religious knowledge quiz test. We know more about religion and very little about a kingdom. I say this because Jesus spoke a lot about the kingdom of God in the parables.

I wish what you say were true, but what this survey implies is that those claiming to be faithful don't know what they believe, religion or kingdom. In this study we see that only 50% of Christians can identify the four Gospels, and only 66% can identify the first book of the bible. Ouch.

Link

Where in the survey is it implied that Christians know about "religion"?

-HisSheep

I got 12 :biggrin I got which bible figure is most closely associated with remaining obedient to God without suffering wrong, the one about teachers being permitted to read from the bible, and which preacher participated in the First Great Awakening.
For an atheist from the UK who has never read the bible, I'm quite proud of my score. :biggrin

without making the posioning well mistake. i do believe that the person who makes a statement on the bible must actually live the bible.

Whos commentary is acceptable then, since all have sinned?

that itsself is in another thread. one that i would have to reasearch a lot and need to find plausiable links to calvin openly stating that jews must be eliminated or others christians.

While you’re at it, look up what Luther had to say about Jews. There have also been some diabolical Popes. What are you going to do? Like I say, even if there were no Calvin, I would recognize the sovereignty of God from scripture alone. Look up the verses I cited.

i simply think the verse that says the lord desires none to perish, is the best one. he knows who wont follow him but he lets them choose their fate. He merely offers the cure for sin, they refused it.

2 Peter 3:9 is another verse commonly cited by those for whom God is elect. Keep in mind that Peter addressed his second epistle to “To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:†(2 Peter 1:1) This letter is not a general evangelical call to the world. It is a letter to those who have already received the gift of faith. God wants none of His sheep to perish, and none of them will. He will loose none of them; no one can snatch them out of His hand. This letter is a call to the faithful to persevere, and should (in my opinion) be read that way.

Incidentally, here is how Peter (same guy) opened his First Epistle. See if you can detect how he felt about God's choice:

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To God's elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, 2who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance. (1 Peter 1:1-2)

he neither makes them sin or withholds the cure. all may come. their choice.

I know that this is a popular view, but the stubborn parable of the wheat and tares remains. A tare can not become wheat. The tares were planted by the devil.

i cant find it loving when God made men to be the materal that stokes the fires of hell.

God loves all of His children, yet not every person is a child of God. Read John 8:42-47 for confirmation (“you are children of the devilâ€). Also read John 10:25-30 for a great description of who will end up believing (“you do not believe because you are not my sheep.â€)

Jesus could have said, “you are not my sheep because you do not believeâ€. But He didn’t.

-HisSheep

i am aware of the failings of luther, the many popes.

but i mainly point out calvin. since calvin read the bible and still did what he did. how can we take his word.

i accept some of what he said. many a calvinist on fb, preach calvin not jesus. i see there comments all the time.

you at least go to the bible.

heres the problem with your thinking

did God make men to die and enter into hell on purpose. does he make us serve him?

no and no.

he know who will serve him. and acts on thier choice accordingly

its like this, i know what you will do with your life, but i can make you change even though i try yet by your decisions i act upon them.

that is what election means.if we cant harden our hearts why then the writer of hebrews see that we dont harden our hearts if grace isnt resistable.

and if our salvation is secure then why does peter warn to make our salvation is secure(i do accept the concept of perseverance of the saints),

but we can decieve ourselves and think we are saved and never were.

but i mainly point out calvin. since calvin read the bible and still did what he did. how can we take his word.

You make a good point in that we should compare all men’s teachings to the word of God. Test the Spirits so to speak.

i accept some of what he said. many a calvinist on fb, preach calvin not jesus. i see there comments all the time.

you at least go to the bible.

Yes, at the very least, I do that…. Man…I start at the bible! One doesn’t have to twist scripture to arrive at the conclusion that God has planned everything, and has every detail under control – again, please read Psalm 139. I have seen many a Cavinist run amuck with the kind of stuff you’re describing; I preach Jesus all day long, I don’t preach Calvin. The “world†knows my views as “Cavinistâ€, so I call myself that to be understood.

heres the problem with your thinking

did God make men to die and enter into hell on purpose. does he make us serve him?

no and no.

he know who will serve him. and acts on thier choice accordingly

There is no problem with my thinking. I know that these are tricky questions. I have come to feel that God has made people who are destined for destruction. Somehow, I must accept that this is for the best. In keeping with the parable of the wheat and tares, I feel that these people are not of God. They are not God’s intended crop. I also feel that it is somehow best for His crop to grow alongside the weeds. It is a long standing pattern of God to raise up challenges for His people to face:

Joshua 11:20

For it was of the LORD to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that he might destroy them utterly, and that they might have no favour, but that he might destroy them, as the LORD commanded Moses.

He does not make us serve Him. But He does make us want to serve Him.

There are several substantial problems with the “salvation is offered to everyone, and it is up to each to accept†theory:

One is that this view means that God is not able to accomplish all that He wants. If He wants every person to come to faith and only some will, then God isn’t very sovereign, is He? He would be loosing souls He intends to keep, but the devil won them instead. Blasphemy! The God I know says things like this:

Isaiah 46:10
I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.

Another problem is that if it is “up to us†to make a proper decision to get to heaven, then heaven will be filled with those who “made the right decision†rather than those on whom God has had mercy. There is a decision to be made, and the merciful Lord moves His sheep to follow Him.

Yet a third problem is this:

Mat 13:
11He replied, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.

Here, Jesus is saying that He speaks in parables because only some of the audience is intended to perceive the spiritual meaning of His teachings. Again, only His sheep know His voice. Ask yourself, whoever has/does not have what will be given more? I have concluded that the answer to this question is faith – eyes to see and ears to hear. Faith is the free gift of God. It isn't given to everyone; He gives it to some according to His own purpose. Those who receive it will be given more, those who don’t will loose everything.

and if our salvation is secure then why does peter warn to make our salvation is secure(i do accept the concept of perseverance of the saints),

We are being conformed to the image of Christ. Once we want to serve, we must actually serve. In this way, the Christian walk is not so easy. It is not fun to circumcise our hearts, to offer our bodies as living sacrifices. We naturally love the things of the world, and it s**ks to give them up – in a way. Our faith assures us that clinging to the things of this world is foolish, and so we detach ourselves, even when it’s uncomfortable.

We are exhorted several times in scripture to “work for it†so to speak. This is one of those times. I think it just speaks to the “fear of God†that we are supposed to have. Paul expresses a similar sentiment in Romans 11 when He says:

22Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

This is Paul, remember. The same guy who wrote this, in Ephesians 1:

13.5 Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession.

So, is my inheritance guaranteed? Or may I be cut off based on my deeds? As Christians we can ignore this, or face it head on. I choose to face it head on. The answer I have is that those God is saving will surely persevere, partly because we are encouraged and warned by verses such as these. While it may be true that if we fall away we will be cut off, The Spirit will effectively keep us from falling.

but we can decieve ourselves and think we are saved and never were.

Of course. But here’s where this Pew Survey comes in… How can so many Christians be so ignorant of scripture? It is just what you point out: many people are indeed deceived. They think that they are right with God, but they likely don’t understand the redemptive work of Jesus. How can this be?

-HisSheep

Back