Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Tasted Death for every Man !

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The bodies of the dead who went into the holy city after Christ's crucifixion . They already ARE in the new heavens and earth.

Respectfully Butch5, if you're sill unconvinced, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this topic- thx

[Mat 27:52-53 KJV]
52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
What you are speaking about that happened over 2000 years ago was that many, not all, were raised from the grave when the earth quaked and Jesus yielded up the Ghost. They were brought back to life and entered into the city, not heaven, so others would know Jesus as in "I am Lord" as only Jesus has power to raise anyone from the dead. This is what caused the centurion and many that were with him to believe this was the Son of God that hung on the cross.

Matthew 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. 51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; 52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, 53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many. 54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

John 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
John 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

The only thing that goes back to God when this physical body dies is the very breath/spirit God breathed into us making us a living soul. Genesis 2:7; Ecc 12:7.

Who did He specifically died for?
I covered that. He died to redeem mankind. I'll touch on your argument again. If, as you say, Jesus only died for His sheep, why wasn't all of Israel saved? If He died for the sheep and Israel are the sheep, then they should all be saved according to what you've claimed.

You are writing about Scripture taken out of context? Really? You are a master of choosing just those verses you want to prove false doctrine.
That's rich since I lay out full logical arguments as opposed to just throwing out a handful of unrelated passages

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever [not restricted to Jews] believes in him
Hi Jaybo,
That begs the questions of: which "world" (this current one, or the one to come) and, who are those who have been included within the "whosoever"?

Why don't you take a break and read your Bible? Try this...

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever [not restricted to Jews] believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world [all people, not just Jews], but to save the world through him. Whoever [not just Jews] believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe [including Jews] stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. But whoever [not just Jews] lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God." John 3:16-21\

Should I believe the great apostle, the author of several "books" of the Bible, or you? Do your credentials exceed his?
Maybe you should take a break and read what I said. I said he came to Israel, not for Israel. You really should consider you words before you speak if you can't tell the difference between to and for.

Hi Butch5
Whoa! not for Israel only, but for those that He came to save up until until the of time

[Act 13:45-48 KJV]
45 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming.
46 Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.
47 For so hath the Lord commanded us, [saying], I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.
48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.
Roger,

I said He came to Israel, not for Israel. They're His words not mine.

But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. (Matt. 15:24 KJV)

Since He was sent to Israel, that is the context of what He said during His ministry.

I said He came to Israel, not for Israel. They're His words not mine.

Butch5

You're correct you did say to Israel and not for Israel (Monday morning only on second cup of coffee), and sorry about that.

Respectfully, nevertheless, I don't think your conclusion (highlighted below) has been substantiated

"There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. (John 1:6-9 KJV)

Here John tells us that Christ enlightens every person coming into the world that they might be saved. He uses the singular, man, indicating every single man or person. There's no way around this. It proves grammatically that all can be saved. In this passage "all" grammatically is every single person."

So, based upon verse 4 (following), since everyone is from birth an unbeliever ( because, and if, I understand your interpretation correctly, then all must first "accept" Christ of their own volition in order to become saved), yet only those to whom it had first "given" can become saved (see Mar 4:11, below), Consequently, and by extension to that, those who do not become saved, do not, because it was not "given" to them.

[2Co 4:3-5 KJV]
3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

[Jhn 12:40 KJV]
40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with [their] eyes, nor understand with [their] heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

That is why we are informed of the following

[Mar 4:11-12 KJV]
11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all [these] things are done in parables:
12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and [their] sins should be forgiven them.

Respectfully, nevertheless, I don't think your conclusion (highlighted below) has been substantiated

Here John tells us that Christ enlightens every person coming into the world that they might be saved. He uses the singular, man, indicating every single man or person. There's no way around this. It proves grammatically that all can be saved. In this passage "all" grammatically is every single person."

So, based upon verse 4 (following), since everyone is from birth an unbeliever ( because, and if, I understand your interpretation correctly, then all must first "accept" Christ of their own volition in order to become saved), yet only those to whom it had first "given" can become saved (see Mar 4:11, below), Consequently, and by extension to that, those who do not become saved, do not, because it was not "given" to them.

[2Co 4:3-5 KJV]
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with [their] eyes, nor understand with [their] heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

That is why we are informed of the following

11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all [these] things are done in parables:
12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and [their] sins should be forgiven them.
Hi Roger,

The argument is substantiated. It's a sound grammatical argument. No matter what you read anywhere else, that argument doesn't change and doesn't become unsound or invalid. It is a sound logical argument. There is no way around that. What that means is, if one finds other passages that seem to indicated differently, It's one's understanding of those passage that is at issue. They are misunderstanding that particular passage. So, when we see that John writes that Christ enlightens every person so that they can believe and then we see Jesus' words in John 6 saying, 'no one can come to Me unless the Father draws him', if we conclude that no one can come to Jesus unless the Father draws him is a universal statement, we have misunderstood the passage. The reason we've misunderstood it is because that understanding runs counter to what John said in 1:6-9.

Again, let's look at the context.

(2 Cor. 4:3-5 KJV)

Paul says that the god of this world has blinded the minds of them which believe not. Many people think there are two kinds of people, those who believe and those who don't. However, there are actually three. There are those who believe, those who don't, and those who've never heard. The words "believe not" are actually the word believe or faith with the negative article in front of it. Literally, it means disbelieve. Someone who hasn't heard the gospel doesn't believe it, but, they also don't disbelieve it. They are simply unaware of it. Paul isn't speaking about these people. He's speaking about people who disbelieve the Gospel. To "not believe" or disbelieve the Gospel one must first hear the Gospel. They heard it and rejected it. These are the ones who have been blinded.

Moving on,

12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted,
and [their] sins should be forgiven them.

Let's look at these passages in context. Whose eyes were blinded, whose heart was hardened, and to whom was it given to understand?

Firstly, as pointed out, Jesus said that He came to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. In that context it appears that some Israelites where given understanding and some were blinded. Do we find this elsewhere in Scripture?

9 And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not.
10 Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed. (Isa. 6:9-10 KJV)

The carpenter stretcheth out his rule; he marketh it out with a line; he fitteth it with planes, and he marketh it out with the compass, and maketh it after the figure of a man, according to the beauty of a man; that it may remain in the house.
14 He heweth him down cedars, and taketh the cypress and the oak, which he strengtheneth for himself among the trees of the forest: he planteth an ash, and the rain doth nourish it.
15 Then shall it be for a man to burn: for he will take thereof, and warm himself; yea, he kindleth it, and baketh bread; yea, he maketh a god, and worshippeth it; he maketh it a graven image, and falleth down thereto.
16 He burneth part thereof in the fire; with part thereof he eateth flesh; he roasteth roast, and is satisfied: yea, he warmeth himself, and saith, Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire:
17 And the residue thereof he maketh a god, even his graven image: he falleth down unto it, and worshippeth it, and prayeth unto it, and saith, Deliver me; for thou art my god.
18 They have not known nor understood: for he hath shut their eyes, that they cannot see; and their hearts, that they cannot understand.
19 And none considereth in his heart, neither is there knowledge nor understanding to say, I have burned part of it in the fire; yea, also I have baked bread upon the coals thereof; I have roasted flesh, and eaten it: and shall I make the residue thereof an abomination? shall I fall down to the stock of a tree?
20 He feedeth on ashes: a deceived heart hath turned him aside, that he cannot deliver his soul, nor say, Is there not a lie in my right hand?
21 Remember these, O Jacob and Israel; for thou art my servant: I have formed thee; thou art my servant: O Israel, thou shalt not be forgotten of me. (Isa. 44:13-21 KJV)

In this passage God has blinded Israel because they had a deceived heart and turned aside. This is what we see Jesus alluding to. Israel had turned from God. Jesus chastised them many times. We know that they killed their Messiah. Because they had turned from God, He had blinded them. So, the only ones who could recognize that Jesus was the Christ was those to whom it was given. That's why Jesus said, no one can come to me unless the Father draws him. However, that drawing was only for a limited time during His ministry because He said if He was lifted up He would draw all to Himself. However, even that blinding of Israel is temporary. Paul tells us that the blinding is only until the fullness of the Gentiles has come.

For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.
28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.
29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. (Rom. 11:25-29 KJV)

Why blindness in part? Because to some it was given to understand and to others it wasn't.
So we see gain that this blindness is confined to Israel. It's not universal. Also, take note to who it is that Paul calls the elect. It's Israel.

So, we see from the context that Jesus was alluding to the prophesied blinding of Israel. He was not making a universal statement that certain people were blinded from understanding the Gospel and other weren't.

This is why it is imperative that we understand these passages in context. Christians have been taught to proof text. We're taught, this is what the Bible teaches, go here and here and here to prove the point. That's not how to understand Scripture. We have to read ever passage within the context in which it was written. Every verse of Scripture is a part of a larger whole. If we just keep ripping sentences from the Scriptures without context we're not going to make any progress as Christians. That's why these debates never end. People on both sides take passages out of context and toss them back and forth. The Scriptures are a cohesive whole and we must understand them that way if we ever hope to get an accurate understanding of Scripture.

I don't really care what you said -- since it conflicts with what the Bible says. You or anyone else can push their erroneous doctrine by choosing disconnected verses from here and there. Having a correct interpretation of what Scripture says is the goal, not pushing nonsense.

Romans 1:21-22, "For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools".

So there is precedent...
And that explains why you don't understand the Scriptures.

What you are speaking about that happened over 2000 years ago was that many, not all, were raised from the grave when the earth quaked and Jesus yielded up the Ghost. They were brought back to life and entered into the city, not heaven, so others would know Jesus as in "I am Lord" as only Jesus has power to raise anyone from the dead. This is what caused the centurion and many that were with him to believe this was the Son of God that hung on the cross.

Hi for_his_glory

Due to Israel's infidelity against God, the earthly Jerusalem was removed by God from its position as holy city.
Until the completion of Christ's offering, all of the elect who were dead were held in
hell (Sheol). They were unable to enter heaven. Once Christ's offering was completed and God accepted it,
those held had to be released and raised into the new heavenly holy city, the heavenly Jerusalem.

[1Co 15:42 KJV]
42 So also [is] the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

[1Co 15:44 KJV]
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

[Mat 23:37-38 KJV]
37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, [thou] that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under [her] wings, and ye would not!

38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

[Rev 21:2 KJV]
2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Hi for_his_glory

Due to Israel's infidelity against God, the earthly Jerusalem was removed by God from its position as holy city.
Until the completion of Christ's offering, all of the elect who were dead were held in
hell (Sheol). They were unable to enter heaven. Once Christ's offering was completed and God accepted it,
those held had to be released and raised into the new heavenly holy city, the heavenly Jerusalem.

42 So also [is] the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, [thou] that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under [her] wings, and ye would not!

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
So you reject what Jesus spoke that is written in John 3:13?

No one has ever gone up to heaven when they died and Jesus never took anyone to Heaven with him. There is no one in Heaven or Hell (which only means the grave) other than God the Father, His son Christ Jesus and the angels dwelling in the third heaven as the third Heaven is the realm of God where no man can enter. We were formed from the dust of the ground as God breathed His Spirit into us and when this flesh dies it will return to the dust of the ground and that spirit that was breathed into us returns to God and waits for judgement when Christ returns again.

Third Heaven - This is where God and the holy angels and spirits (soul) of just men dwell. It is called “The heaven of heavens,” (Deuteronomy 10:14; 1 Kings 8:27; Psalms 115:16; 148:4). (1Kings 8:27) - “The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you.” (Psalm 2:4) The One enthroned in heaven laughs; The LORD scoffs at them.”
The third heaven is beyond the space and stars. Where no man has seen by telescope. This heaven is the dwelling-place of God.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Gen 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Captivity captive
Ephesians 4:7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
Ephesians 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
Ephesians 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
Ephesians 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

vs 8. This is what captivity captive means. First Jesus was raised up in glory to sit at the right hand of God where Angels, authorities and powers were made subject to Him. He was given authority over every spiritual force in heaven and on earth that has warred against the kingdom and people of God. He exercised this authority while here on Earth as living in a fleshly body, but through the resurrection and ascension He completely defeated his adversaries as now He was in a place of total victory.
vs 9. the lower parts of the Earth only means the grace that once Jesus was resurrected from the tomb He ascended into Heaven where all power and authority was given him to defeat His adversaries. Remember when He told Mary Magdalene not to touch him when she saw Him at the tomb, it was because He had not yet ascended to the Father yet. Jesus returned to earth once again in the form of flesh for 40 days as He was seen by over 500, 1Corinthians 15:4-7, but now having full power and authority His purpose was in redeeming man and destroying the works of Satan. Jesus gathered those disciples into the upper room to reveal himself in all His glory as even Thomas doubted that it was Jesus until he touched the nail prints in His hands and the Spirit of God revealed to all of them this was truly the Christ. It was there that they were instructed to wait for the Holy Spirit to indwell them so they had that same power and authority in the flesh to carry on the task they were called for.

If I may humbly ask a quick side question...which Bible version(s)/translation(s) do you like?
Hi Dan,
I like the NASB. It seems to me to be very well translated and with no ax to grind.
But I have a lot of versions that I only use when learning a new verse/idea to see what a verse means.
I dislike using commentaries unless it's absolutely necessary.
The reason is because each commentator has their own personal opinion --- so how to know which one is correct!
What about you?

Hi for_his_glory

I was just closing down and fell upon the above.

You're right that those that died before Christ were unable to enter into heaven.
But they were not in hell.
They were in "paradise" waiting in Abraham's Bossom.
See Luke 16:19-31

It sounds like you're really confused about the New Jerusalem...but no time right now.

Spiritual Israel which is comprised of elect jews and gentiles. Thats who Jesus tasted death for.
Brightfame...
You just don't seem to believe very clear verses in the New Testament.
1 John 2:2 states that Jesus died for everyone.
John spent years with Jesus.
He knew what Jesus believed and taught.
Jesus' sacrifice was so great that it was enough to pay for everyone's sins.
However, a gift must be ACCEPTED.

And elect just means chosen.
What means does God use to "choose" persons to be saved?

That Jesus tasted death for all humanity is a falsehood.
We here on this forum believe John the Apostle and Paul over you.

1 John 2:2
1My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;
2and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

Hebrews 2:9
9But we do see Him who was made for a little while lower than the angels, namely, Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone.

I know calvinists have had to change the meaning of words in order to maintain their incorrect soteriological beliefs,
however,

the whole world means the whole world and everyone means everyone.

Why do you persist in this? Taking two separate verses out of context to prove erroneous doctrine is eisegesis of the first order. I will post this one last time, then won't discuss your fallacy any longer.

“I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd." John 10:14-16
He persists in this because he is of the reformed faith.
The reformed faith began in 1500.

What YOU believe began while Jesus was still alive and was repeated by His apostles.

Easy to see who's correct here.

But I must leave now....
I leave the reformed to you and Butch5 for now.

He persists in this because he is of the reformed faith.
The reformed faith began in 1500.

What YOU believe began while Jesus was still alive and was repeated by His apostles.

Easy to see who's correct here.

But I must leave now....
I leave the reformed to you and Butch5 for now.

Thanks! LOL!

BTW, my daughter and grandchildren live in Firenze.

So you reject what Jesus spoke that is written in John 3:13?

Hey for_his_glory

So what ever became of those who came out of the graves into the earthly Jerusalem (holy city) after Christ's death? Hanging loose there without much to do awaiting the end of the world (sorry weird sense of humor, no offense intended.)?
I'll try to reply to the others a few at a time (there were a lot of them)

Hi Dan,
I like the NASB. It seems to me to be very well translated and with no ax to grind.
But I have a lot of versions that I only use when learning a new verse/idea to see what a verse means.
I dislike using commentaries unless it's absolutely necessary.
The reason is because each commentator has their own personal opinion --- so how to know which one is correct!
What about you?
I have considered the King James the standard by which I compare all other versions. I guess because it is what I grew up on and seemingly, Strong's Concordance is closely complementary to it. I am not "set in stone" on the KJV though and will certainly look into the NASB.
I too like to explore verses on my own (with the help of the Holy Spirit) to see what I think first on a verse and then compare what I think to commentaries. A Red-Letter edition convinced me of post-trib for instance.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back