Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"The Bible" ....3-3-13 on the History Channel

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
There has been some concern voiced in the Christian community that this series may not be handled well, but much of that steams from the fact that the History Channel is airing it. After all, many of the "shows" about the bible that have aired on the HC have not been treated well at all. It's a valid concern. However, it's important to point out that the History Channel itself is not behind the making of this mini-series. They are simply agreeing to show it. Thanks to Mark Burnett.

The producers behind it are Mark Burnett and his wife Roma Downey. While there may be some questions there, they have gone to great lengths to ensure that this project is treated with a great deal of respect, and they have shared their own faith as being the foundation for this project. I believe they are sincere,

The series does have the stamp of approval by many leading and well respected theologians, bible scholars, and pastors. Among them Rick Warren. I do not know the full list. Much of what I've been able to find however, seems to point to a well done docudrama.

As these things go, there have not been very many biblical dramas that have passed strict biblical orthodoxy in terms of meaningful content to the scripture itself. Obviously there has to be some creative license used with sets, costumes, and inferences of what might happen between the verses with the characters. You can't really have a deep engaging visual drama of these stories otherwise. However, there have been movies made about the bible that have perverted scripture with such liberties, but like anything else such things are often left to the viewer to decide based on what they think they know and how they relate to these stories.

It takes a lot of "guts" and assurance to pull off something like this. Mark Burnett and Roma Downey will either be crucified by Hollywood, the Christian community or both. One thing for sure, the media will be circling them like jackals waiting for leftovers after the kill. I think it is very important that all Christians watch this film series and give it an honest view. If it's good, biblically based, accurate to scripture for telling these stories with passion and Love, we need to support it. This may be a window for many to gain an interest into the bible. I hope it is, and I hope it stirs our passion to get into the word of God, or for some, back into it. If it;s trash it will fail on it's own.

Good to hear, I left my moms house Sunday eve, and she was about to watch it. I think for her it could actually be ok? I am such a biblical detail kinda guy, it would most likely just frustrate me? Have not read the last page of this post, and I have not watched it, so nobody jump on to me! lol

I re-watched the first episode with my older daughter. I'm leading my family to watch the entire series as a teaching moment, but I got to say it was a little better the second time. I had more time to evaluate it and I knew what to expect. I was able to make the right talking points a little better.

I think the more into our bibles we are the more critical we are going to be, but there really isn't anything presented that is not to the word of scripture. I fumbled over the two angels a little as well, but I can see what was trying to be conveyed. I liked how God (Christ) interacted with Sarah and Abraham. Thought that was cool how they did not show His face. I also liked the binding of Isac scenes, and the display of the plagues on Egypt/Pharaoh.

It's as if they are trying to bring out a particular point with the stories, and I think that point is salvation, pointing to God and Christ. It's a wait and see, but I will be watching Sunday.

Has anybody watched the whole series? I'm thinking about looking at it if I can find a legitimate site. Reviews?

I heard some of it but tried to ignore it. Maybe God can use it in his way as an introduction, but unnecessary liberties taken with the dialogue that could change meaning did not sit well in me. One of odder alterations is when Jesus meets Peter. The movie goes like this for five minutes:

(Jesus walks to the boat where Peter alone is in. Other fishermen are working nearby.
Jesus picks up a rock and later puts it down.)
Jesus: If you need help.
Peter: I'm not looking for any help, and besides there's nothing to help with. (Jesus walk in the water toward the boat.)
Peter (angrily): Hey, what are you doing? You can't just come into my boat.
Jesus: You're right. Give me a helping hand. (Peter pulls Jesus into the boat.)
Peter: What do you think you're doing?
Jesus: We're going fishing.
Peter: There are no fish out there this time of day. In fact, there are not fish out there any time of day.
Jesus: Peter. Just give me an hour, and I will give you a whole new life.
Peter: I don't want one.
Peter: I tell you, there are no fish out there. (Peter throws the net. Jesus touches the water. Peter hauls in a lot of fish, struggling.)
Peter: (perplexed) How did this happen? What did you do?
Jesus: i'm giving you the chance to change your life. Peter. Come with me. Give up catching fish, and I will make you a fisher of men.
Peter: what are we going to do?
Jesus: Change the world. (Jesus and Peter look out at the horizon.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx_GqIIkKOY

Compare to Luke 5:1-11 and elsewhere: http://kmenno.org/teachings/calling_of_simon_peter.html
Is that the same picture?

Somehow, this climax that strikes my heart the most gets removed:

But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.†(Luke 5:8, ESV)

and other foreign things like that "Change the world" are added. Change the world? Did they deem the original too jarring, too hard to understand? or too convicting in doctrine? The original really is a remarkable statement, like a patient refusing medicine, or someone despairing about the chasm between their unholiness and God's holiness. It is much stronger than "I don't want [a new life beyond fishing]." Their "bible teachable concepts" acknowledges changes here:

Questions to reflect upon: The video clip does add lines not in the scripture. The two that are distinct are “I want to give you a new life†and “Change the world.†Do these lines reflect the heart of the biblical passage? In what way was this moment in Peter’s life the beginning of a new life for him? Why does the phrase “Change the world†explain Christ’s purpose on earth? http://bibleseriesresources.com/Web...lection_Questions_Week_Three_through_Five.doc

Nearby, when Jesus was being baptized, I was awaiting Matthew 3:17: "and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.â€" But nothing happened. Vocalization by God to man is rare but precious when it happens. Does God not speak? Is Jesus not his son? Is God not well pleased with Jesus (possibly echoing Genesis 1)? Was God not present? Why was this omitted? It wasn't for the lack of time.

I think it's a wonderful show, and I hope God blesses everyone involved in it.

To me this show makes a really great starting point for beginner Bible readers like myself, because I think it really helps to paint a picture of all the characters and situations involved.

I've heard the names and stories mentioned in my church all the time, but I was never fully able to piece together a backbone to the Bible until I recently found this gem on TV.

This Sunday the History Channel will air the 4th episode, and I think there may be one more episode left after that. For those who missed the first three, History is still airing repeats and will eventually release the whole set on video sometime in April, I believe.

No doubt this is not a project to promote the gospel.
I did not expect it to be another "passion of the Christ" and it is not that.
I must say that from what I have watched, I have not been offended as I thought I would be, seeing that it is the History Channel.

I've been watching the whole thing so far and not thrilled with how they have been portraying so many things. If it is not scriptural then it is nothing more than a movie presented for TV ratings. The writers just zip through all of it and not even in an acurate way. I will finish watching it as I want to see how they play out the crucifixtion.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back