Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The bottomless pit: is the Bible more literal than we thought?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Kevin

I believe that the bottomless pit is located in the Mediterranean (Great) Sea, and that it is opened by means of a whirlpool through which devils come forth to possess men. Sound crazy? Here's why I think this:

In Daniel 7:2 the four winds of heaven strove (fought) upon the great sea (Mediterranean), and then it says that four beast came up from the sea. What would be the result of four winds striving on the sea? A whirlpool? A whirlpool opening to the bottom of the sea? The four beasts that came out would be four kings that will arise out of the earth (Dan.7:17). These four beasts "from the sea" will possess four kings "out of the earth."

Also, the anti-christ (beast) arises from the bottomless pit (Rev.11:7, 17:8). He also is said to arise from the sea (Rev.13:1). The bottomless pit is a literal place and the bible seems to point to the great sea as the door. Is the bible more literal than we thought?

View attachment 4364

I believe that the bottomless pit is located in the Mediterranean (Great) Sea, and that it is opened by means of a whirlpool through which devils come forth to possess men. Sound crazy? Here's why I think this:

In Daniel 7:2 the four winds of heaven strove (fought) upon the great sea (Mediterranean), and then it says that four beast came up from the sea. What would be the result of four winds striving on the sea? A whirlpool? A whirlpool opening to the bottom of the sea? The four beasts that came out would be four kings that will arise out of the earth (Dan.7:17). These four beasts "from the sea" will possess four kings "out of the earth."

Also, the anti-christ (beast) arises from the bottomless pit (Rev.11:7, 17:8). He also is said to arise from the sea (Rev.13:1). The bottomless pit is a literal place and the bible seems to point to the great sea as the door. Is the bible more literal than we thought?

View attachment 4364

Most interesting Kevin. I believe that Scripture is very, very literal. If we only knew!

Quite fascinating, Kevin . The Mediterranean Sea would be the logical location, as that would have been the 'great sea' in Biblical times.

On further consideration, perhaps there is a black hole (fault line hole?) located somewhere on the bottom of the M. Sea, which will be stirred into great activity as per Daniel 7:2. Quite logical. And since I believe that Scripture is very literal (like Chopper), your explanation is quite feasible, Kevin.

Thanks for the thought-provocation!

View attachment 4364
Revelation 13:1 as a beast rises out of the sea. Be aware that the beast here represents nations which the antichrist comes out of. These nations do not physically rise from the sea. Isaiah 57:20 But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt. The sea is symbolic of the troubled nations here.

Now the second beast; the false prophet comes from the earth and again that is also symbolic of peoples. Isaiah 66:8 Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? or shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children.

When it says the earth in Revelation 13:11, it especially means Israel. We found that often in the scripture that the earth speaks especially of Israel, and the sea of the Gentiles; those are standard symbols and it will remain that way in this end time because you remember that one of the major purposes of the tribulation is that judgment must fall on Israel.

Let's look at Daniel for your answer. These quotes are from the same prophecy:

Dan 7:3 And four great beasts came up from the sea, diverse one from another.

Dan 7:17 These great beasts, which are four, are four kings, which shall arise out of the earth.

Dan 7:23 Thus he said, The fourth beast shall be the fourth kingdom upon earth,

It says the beasts came from the sea and the earth. It says the beasts were kings and kingdoms. If these are not kings from the earth possessed by unclean spirits from the sea (bottomless pit Rev.11:7) then we have a contradiction. The interpretation of scripture is much broader and more literal than we allow it to be.

Also, "the earth" is the earth (the people) and not Israel

Re 12:16 And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.

"The woman" of Rev.12 obviously being Israel.

We don't need to allegorize everything no matter what the popular opinion of the times is; after all at one time the popular opinion was "Crucify him!"

Kevin, I think that you are very probably correct, and yet, at the same time, I agree with Eugene. I think the Bible is very literal, and at the same time the Lord is great at drawing euphemisms out of teachings for our instruction. He does is all through scripture.

The bottomless pit is figurative language for death. Not just physical death, but the severance of anything from the world we share.

Bottomless pit figurative? I can see why you might think that after all it is where the dead descend into, but the Bible does record a special incident where the living descended into the pit.

Nu 16:33 They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation.

This is the same pit where the rich man and Lazarus were found, and strangely enough there was a great gulf between them. I wonder if that gulf was the "bottomless" part.

Lu 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Thank you for your comment, you've helped me see something I overlooked.

Bottomless pit figurative?
We don't need to allegorize everything no matter what the popular opinion of the times is.
This is the same pit where the rich man and Lazarus were found, and strangely enough there was a great gulf between them. I wonder if that gulf was the "bottomless" part.
On this premise wouldn’t bottomless be something with no bottom. Satan is inserted, passes through the earth falling out the other side. Strong’s also relates it to being immeasurable and that should certainly fit the capacity of an unending hole.

Something else not using scripture, has anyone had it revealed to them that this bottomless pit doesn’t have to be in the earth? I think I saw something similar to that on Star Trek one time where a black hole was involved. :shrug

Good question! Imagine a pit through to the center of the earth where you are in the center of the force of gravity. Which way is up? Where is the bottom? Satan will be in this bottomless part (Rev.20:1-3) for a thousand years possibly trapped by gravity itself.
God is pretty amazing.

Good question! Imagine a pit through to the center of the earth where you are in the center of the force of gravity. Which way is up? Where is the bottom? Satan will be in this bottomless part (Rev.20:1-3) for a thousand years possibly trapped by gravity itself.
God is pretty amazing.
God is pretty amazing.
I reckon I'm going to have to watch more old Star Trek reruns; maybe that's God's way of reaching us huh? :)

On this premise wouldn’t bottomless be something with no bottom. Satan is inserted, passes through the earth falling out the other side. Strong’s also relates it to being immeasurable and that should certainly fit the capacity of an unending hole.

Something else not using scripture, has anyone had it revealed to them that this bottomless pit doesn’t have to be in the earth? I think I saw something similar to that on Star Trek one time where a black hole was involved. :shrug

Let's not forget about the Spiritual realm brother. I'm sure we've all heard the testimonies of people walking through doors and such and suddenly they were in heaven and so forth. Oh yes, there's lots more to existance than meets the eye (or science). In this light, the bottomless pit could indeed be on earth. Perhaps a portal a couple miles deep that they fall into? That would also explain the Abraham & the rich man scenario.

Bottomless pit figurative? I can see why you might think that after all it is where the dead descend into, but the Bible does record a special incident where the living descended into the pit.

Nu 16:33 They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation.

Lu 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Thank you for your comment, you've helped me see something I overlooked.

When the earth opened up, Korah(et al.) were swallowed alive, but when it closed back upon them they perished(died). Their bodies remained in the ground, but their souls, which have no physicality, are kept in a figurative non-place we visualize as the bottomless pit.

When the earth opened up, Korah(et al.) were swallowed alive, but when it closed back upon them they perished(died). Their bodies remained in the ground, but their souls, which have no physicality, are kept in a figurative non-place we visualize as the bottomless pit.
sheol! well yes the sea gave up its dead and well what is death then if its literal then? as it too gives up its dead?

revalation 20

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works./
I do believe in sheol and gehenna but to say a place like that is literal in that it has physical qualities, of size, etc isn't able to describe it. the more one studies sheol, hades and gehenna one will find those are glimpse , a literal fire cant burn a spirit, satan that is. a literal fire may burn a body, but what body will the lost have after he is raised is a question I have no answer.

View attachment 4364

It can be literal, but personally, I don't believe it is in places like Daniel, and Revelation. Plus, Genesis 1-3 is also a HUGE metaphor that is telling us what is going on the spiritual realm. I do believe they also happened in the physical realm. In other words, the Garden was real and Adam and Eve were too but they tell us a deeper spiritual truth. If you ask God "What is the 'sea'?" and then find some verses and plug them into this cross references site, you should come to see the "sea" is the collection of the spirits of all mankind. Look at this verse as God kind of gives it away.

Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and spoke with me, saying, “Come here, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters (Rev 17:1)

Now, look at the next verse. It tells us what "waters" are.

And he *said to me, “The waters which you saw where the harlot sits, are peoples and multitudes and nations and tongues (Rev 17:15)

Now, whenever you see the word "waters" try substituting "peoples of all nations" and see what it may be saying. This won't always work, but when God is talking in a metaphor, you can find deep meanings! For example, I have found the "4 winds of heaven" are 4 powerful angels of God, "out of the earth" is a kingdom or power or force that came from natural man (such as "Rome"). "Out of sea" is a spiritual power like "deception" or "sin". See the difference?

This is very powerful when we start asking questions like this. Now, we get to the MEAT of what God wants to tell us.

God bless,

kicked

The Bible describes the abode of the dead (sheol) as a three chambered place where the spirits of dead men and fallen angels who possessed humans or animals went to await eternal judgment.

Sheol.jpg

Since Jesus cleared "Abraham's Bosom" the same day he was crucified (Luke 24:43 / Ephesians 4:8-10) the disembodied spirits of the faithful have been in heaven and all in Christ go there the moment we pass on also as disembodied spirits (2 Corinthians 5:8).

Sheol itself could be described as a bottomless pit (center of the earth) where there is no up or down and only fire / sulfur / magma...

Last edited:
It can be literal, but personally, I don't believe it is in places like Daniel, and Revelation. Plus, Genesis 1-3 is also a HUGE metaphor that is telling us what is going on the spiritual realm. I do believe they also happened in the physical realm. In other words, the Garden was real and Adam and Eve were too but they tell us a deeper spiritual truth. If you ask God "What is the 'sea'?" and then find some verses and plug them into this cross references site, you should come to see the "sea" is the collection of the spirits of all mankind. Look at this verse as God kind of gives it away.

Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and spoke with me, saying, “Come here, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters (Rev 17:1)

Now, look at the next verse. It tells us what "waters" are.

And he *said to me, “The waters which you saw where the harlot sits, are peoples and multitudes and nations and tongues (Rev 17:15)

Now, whenever you see the word "waters" try substituting "peoples of all nations" and see what it may be saying. This won't always work, but when God is talking in a metaphor, you can find deep meanings! For example, I have found the "4 winds of heaven" are 4 powerful angels of God, "out of the earth" is a kingdom or power or force that came from natural man (such as "Rome"). "Out of sea" is a spiritual power like "deception" or "sin". See the difference?

This is very powerful when we start asking questions like this. Now, we get to the MEAT of what God wants to tell us.

God bless,

kicked

I'm a very simple minded man. I've long since thrown out dictionaries, commentaries, etc.. When I read the bible and I have a question, I ask God what something means and then I just keep reading. Some answers I get right away, some years later, some I'm still waiting on. Whenever I would run references or look things up, God always shut off the light on me. I never got an answer in my own strength. Here is the only way to understand the bible:

Lu 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

Kevin, that is awesome! Simplicity is what GOD Loves along with childlike faith. Simply believe what he tells you.

I am a very simple person too. I have found it helpful to understand what God wants to tell me by showing me other parts of his Word where he talked about the same or similar things. I have had TONS of very STRONG light bulb moments this way and you learn the TRUTH of what God is telling you. I believe their are really two versions of the Word. One is for natural, carnally minded man and the other is for the spiritual man. Remember, this current realm is still a realm of darkness or of the "natural mind" and the darkness sees Gods Word differently than the truth. I want you to see the truth and celebrate God.

God bless...

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back