Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The bottomless pit: is the Bible more literal than we thought?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I'm leaving the forum. I've only been here a few days and I'm spending way too much time on the site. I'm an all or nothing kind of guy so it's impossible for me to use moderation.

It's been brief, but you guys have been nice. May God lead you down right paths.

Kevin

Gods word is literal where it needs to be and also Spiritual within it's understanding especially when God uses metaphors in His teaching. Just as earth is in the literal realm and heaven in the Spiritual realm. For the most part beast is used in scripture to denote nations, kings, false religions and even Satan. We have to read in the context of the whole book comparing scripture with scripture, the OT with the NT to gain full understanding as the Holy Spirit reveals all truth and understanding to us.

My mind was raised on far too much science fiction to believe a simple whirlpool in the sea of our 3D world could be it. God would have to have an imagination greater than any man. Something beyond the most bizarre science fiction movies.

O.k. which one of you thugs chased Kevin away i was just getting ready to weigh in, maybe thugs is a wee strong O.k. which one of you ladies and gentlemen said something to Kevin.. :missyou

tob

Quite fascinating, Kevin . The Mediterranean Sea would be the logical location, as that would have been the 'great sea' in Biblical times.

On further consideration, perhaps there is a black hole (fault line hole?) located somewhere on the bottom of the M. Sea, which will be stirred into great activity as per Daniel 7:2. Quite logical. And since I believe that Scripture is very literal (like Chopper), your explanation is quite feasible, Kevin.

Thanks for the thought-provocation!
Speaking of black holes.What are they?Does something get sucked into them?What happens to them?

Black holes are in space (typically). They draw matter into them. As with all in life, there is a counter-part to Black holes: White holes, where it is speculated all the black hole matter exits.

Black holes are in space (typically). They draw matter into them. As with all in life, there is a counter-part to Black holes: White holes, where it is speculated all the black hole matter exits.
That is interesting.So a space craft could get sucked into it.

Thanks Air Dancer that's a relief, about the black hole being a possibility its a great possibility in the temporal world but in the eternal that's something we cannot see. Like those Twilight Zone series where you could put your hand through a wall even follow through with your body into a different dimension.. There could be a bottomless pit right outside your front door but unless God opened it you wouldn't be the wiser.. We are blinded by our surroundings we think this is the way things are supposed to be because that's the way we see them. When we receive eternal life we don't go on a steam tramper to gather it up on the other side of the pond we have it the instant we believe, what do you think Kevin?

tob

Now if people only knew that hell "that eternal dimension" could be right outside their front door they'd be scarred to pieces and call on the name of the Lord.. if they only knew, but they are blinded by their surroundings thinking this is the way things are supposed to be because that's the way they see them..

tob

You're right, turnorburn . So many are in their secure comfort zone, and they don't want to see beyond that zone.

In addition, there's every chance that they haven't heard anyone of late sharing the love of our Lord with them.

It hasn't been all that long ago when an acquaintance was bemoaning the lack of new membership at her church. When her comments started to have a caustic edge, I asked her when was the last time she invited someone she knew to attend church with her. The look I was given was not nice at all.

There are a lot of people who need to hear about our Lord, whether it's the first time or the 300th. It's our roles as Christians to share the Word.

Now if people only knew that hell "that eternal dimension" could be right outside their front door they'd be scarred to pieces and call on the name of the Lord.. if they only knew, but they are blinded by their surroundings thinking this is the way things are supposed to be because that's the way they see them..

tob
I think it is best that we are blinded by our surroundings.If we knew the things that our world leaders knew at times it might scare us.They don't want a world panic.But God is in control.

Revelation 8:10. And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters.

What waters are we seeing here? John 4:10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

2 Thessalonians 2:11. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion.
2Co 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. What water will he bring to bear?

BUT: John 8:44 we see Jesus speaking of the devil; “. . when he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. Who is Satan speaking to? Religious systems?

Revelation 8:11. "And the name of the star (Satan) is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter. There is nothing but death is that water which Satan issues forth.

Other references to this star are in Luke 10:18. And he (Jesus) said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven, and in Revelation 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world.

An excerpt from Gene Hawkin’s study of Revelation is “I want to set up here is the contrast that there is a difference in the abyss which represents the abode we would say of all the dead; both the righteous and the wicked, but there is a distinction made in scripture and we see it here. The "Bottomless" (abussos) is translated as the abyss. When it says the pit it means a well or a pit. If you go back to the Old Testament you begin to read and realize that when the scripture says hell, the Old Testament word for that is "Sheol" and there are different levels. There are different compartments of the abyss, and the pit represents the lower part or the lowest part of it and here are some scripture references.

Deuteronomy 32:22. "For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell," and that would correspond to the pit; that is, the pit of the abyss and that's the way you can remember that. It's called "Bottomless pit" here but a better translation would be the pit of the abyss and so you are talking about two different places where the dead are going to reside, and both of them before Jesus came were in the heart of the earth, but one of them; the pit is the abode of the wicked dead in spirit, and then upper Sheol would be of the righteous dead. Psalm 86:13. "For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell." That's a reference to the same place and he's talking about the abode of the wicked dead.”

Revelation 8:11. "And the name of the star (Satan) is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter. There is nothing but death is that water which Satan issues forth.
Any speculation what you think Wormwood will be?Maybe a huge meteor?

Any speculation what you think Wormwood will be? Maybe a huge meteor?
Hi Kathi, I believe the waters becoming wormwood is that false preaching in the end time that will affect those very institutions supposedly giving forth life.

Hi Kathi, I believe the waters becoming wormwood is that false preaching in the end time that will affect those very institutions supposedly giving forth life.
I believe just as the Bible says on that verse since I take the Bible literally.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back