Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] The Day-Age Theory?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Add to that 2 Cor 11:3 quote (the KISS or 'keep it simple' quote) another that applies: Prov 3:5-6
Prov 3:5-6 ESV said:
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths.

But then, if a day can mean any time whatsoever from the smallest instant to the largest conceivable eon (just as long as it DOES NOT mean 24 hours) and if an ordered and sequenced list of days can have no reference to time whatsoever and mean categories only -- then "lean NOT on your own understanding" can mean ??? Hmmmm.... I dunno. It could mean, "Don't eat school paste," I guess.

Sometimes it's easy to forget that "impossible" is one of God's favorite words.

"Sometimes it's easy to forget that "impossible" is one of God's favorite words"

i asked the Lord about that when i had the palsy, all of the doctors kept telling me I'd be stuck with it the rest of my life, finally i said enough is enough! what they said was impossible became possible with God and i became a living miracle.

Praise his wonderful name!

tob

young earth creation beliefs are nearly tantamount to blasphemy.

Nonsense. God doesn't care in the least if you don't accept the way He did creation. It's not what's important. Unless you argue that one must accept YE creationism to be a Christian, there's nothing at all blasphemous about it. It's just an error; not even a heresy.

Nonsense. God doesn't care in the least if you don't accept the way He did creation. It's not what's important. Unless you argue that one must accept YE creationism to be a Christian, there's nothing at all blasphemous about it. It's just an error; not even a heresy.
What makes you think God does not care? We are to neither add to His word or diminish any part of it. If God gave us an abbreviated but accurate account of creation, we should believe it, because it is God who revealed it. If we reject it, what we are saying to God is "I don't really believe you". That's called unbelief. And if we don't believe Him about creation, why should we believe Him about anything else, including the Gospel? Theological liberalism dismisses everything on a whim.

What makes you think God does not care? We are to neither add to His word or diminish any part of it.

YE creationists really don't add or subtract. They merely reinterpret an figurative account as a literal history. But that has nothing to do with salvation.

If God gave us an abbreviated but accurate account of creation, we should believe it, because it is God who revealed it. If we reject it, what we are saying to God is "I don't really believe you".

No. YE creationists, I think, firmly believe that they are accepting God's word. Being mistaken about what God says, is not the same thing as saying one does not believe God.

That's called unbelief. And if we don't believe Him about creation, why should we believe Him about anything else, including the Gospel?

Many YE creationists seem to understand the Gospels was well as many traditional Christians.

Theological liberalism dismisses everything on a whim.

O.K. , some of it is addition to the Bible, but in most cases, creationists see it as a logical consequence of what the Bible actually says. Again, this is quite different than "I don't believe God."

Genesis 1 – “day”

The Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament (1980, Moody Press)

"It can denote: 1. the period of light (as contrasted with the period of darkness), 2. the period of twenty-four hours, 3. a general vague "time," 4. a point of time, 5. a year (in the plural; I Sam 27:7; Ex 13:10, etc.)."

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible (symbols omitted)

from an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literal (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figuratively (a space of time defined by an associated term), [often used adv.]:--age, + always, + chronicles, continually (-ance), daily, ([birth-], each, to) day, (now a, two) days (agone), + elder, end, evening, (for)ever(lasting), ever(more), full, life, as long as (...live), even now, old, outlived, perpetually, presently, remaining, required, season, since, space, then, (process of) time, as at other times, in trouble, weather (as) when, (a, the, within a) while (that), whole age, (full) year (-ly), younger

In Genesis 1:5 it is a period of light. Genesis 1:14 it is more than one day. In Genesis 2:4 Yom is the entire creation period. Genesis 4:3, it says "And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord." Yom = a complete process of time. In Genesis 18:11; and 21:2,7 it means old age (see Genesis 47). Genesis 40:4, "...and they continued a season inward." Here it is a non-defined season.

The use by this same author, in this same book, range all the way from a 12 hour period of light to forever. Moses uses the word in all these varied ways all throughout the Torah so as for use and etymology it could mean a part of a day, a literal 24 hour period, 1,000 years of any segment therein or beyond. One argument that is worth considering however our understanding that a day can only mean 24 literal hours is brought into question in that this definition is dependent on a created earth which makes one rotation in relation to a created sun…these did not exist until after “the third day”…and just for consideration when God says “day one” (yom echad) this is not the same phraseology as inferred in the following “days” if it were meant to be the numerically first day the writer would have been inspired to use “yachid” not “echad”. So there is something different here at least regarding this day one.

Please consider just how “echad” is used everywhere else….it is always when something apparently more than one is as one (God and His word, flesh and bone as husband and wife, the Lord Himself in the Shemam, etc,), how does this fit the YEC OEC debate? (also Augustine was not the only one...some other ECFs saw each day as 1000 years, and Jewish Philosopher Maimonides as well assigned no specific limit to the length of a Genesis 1 yom, and his work was inspirational to a paper written by MIT Professor Gerald Schroeder who shows how time itself bends changes and stretches at different times and places (interesting read at the least)...

Brother Paul

"It can denote: 1. the period of light (as contrasted with the period of darkness), 2. the period of twenty-four hours, 3. a general vague "time," 4. a point of time, 5. a year (in the plural; I Sam 27:7; Ex 13:10, etc.)."

It can also mean "always" or "forever." I'm unimpressed with other arguments that seem to start with the premise to be proven.
Why not just accept it as it is?

It was one of your people that said that Barbarian, you tell him its nonsense that would be great..

tob

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back