Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] The difference between normal people and scientists

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
do androids dream of electric sheep?

All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace
I like to think (and
the sooner the better!)
of a cybernetic meadow
where mammals and computers
live together in mutually
programming harmony
like pure water
touching clear sky.

I like to think
(right now, please!)
of a cybernetic forest
filled with pines and electronics
where deer stroll peacefully
past computers
as if they were flowers
with spinning blossoms.

I like to think
(it has to be!)
of a cybernetic ecology
where we are free of our labors
and joined back to nature,
returned to our mammal
brothers and sisters,
and all watched over
by machines of loving grace.
Richard Brautigan

It was a simpler, more optimistic time. (with very primitive I/O)

Of course, that guy is completely wrong. The Sun will pretty much be gone in about 5 billion years. But there are new Sun-like stars forming right now, which will still be functional 9 billion years from now.

new-stars-forming.jpg

Not forever. But the author completely misunderstands how stars are formed and how they die. Nine billion years from now, there will be new suns forming to replace those forming today.

Unless God decides to shut down the system.

Scientists put a higher value on knowledge than personal safety in many cases. The history of science is filled with such stories. As one scientist put it, "who wouldn't take another zap if you could learn how a lightning box worked?" (Edit: a lot of people, it seems; curiosity isn't the compelling drive in most people, that it is in scientists)

But not every scientist would actually do what that one was considering. In reality, a scientist probably wouldn't touch the lever again. He'd get one of his grad students to do it.

And the smart grad student ties a nice long, non-conductive nylon rope to the lever. After the first ZAP at least.

Personally I'd be prying the cover off of that in a hurry.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back