Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study The Errors in New Versions of the Bible (Why KJV only)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Or, consult multiple translations and when that study is exhausted, consult commentaries, and then the works of scholars and theologians throughout the history of Christianity. We are never, ever meant to do this on our own and simply pray about it.
What did the early believers do before men decided to start following their own wisdom?
They prayed for help.
What happened to all that faith which has been bandied about so frequently?
Doing that alone is not a biblical idea; it wasn’t then and even more so it isn’t now. That tends to lead to error. Yes, the Holy Spirit helps us and we should always pray prior to any Bible study, but the way he mostly helps is through others, past and present.
If you roll with the hogs, you will get dirty.

What did the early believers do before men decided to start following their own wisdom?
They prayed for help.
Did they? Where are all the passages that show they prayed to determine the meaning of Scripture?

If you roll with the hogs, you will get dirty.
If you roll alone, you still get dirty. The problem is, you still think you’re clean, no matter what anyone else says.

The King James translation is -- guess what? -- a translation. Nothing more.

It was commissioned by a secular king to make his version of Protestantism the official religion of the realm (and in the process justifying his personal authority). It caused many people to flee persecution, including the pilgrims who fled to the Western Hemisphere with their Geneva Bibles under their arms. Part of the reason for the new translation was to remove the notes that accompanied earlier versions (which just happened to cast doubt on the secular king's authority).

Additionally, the KJV was based on a limited set of source documents compared to what has been discovered in the last 400+ years. Beyond that, the understanding of the ancient languages and the understanding of the cultures for which they were written has improved tremendously over the years.

Finally, the language of the KJV is a dead language -- it is not spoken anywhere on Earth at this time. The meanings of some of the words have changed and quite a few of the implied meanings are misunderstood. How many of us have beaten our swords into plowshares (whatever that means) or "will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?"

Seriously, the argument of what are the true scriptures (Bible) has been argued for centuries. Each one has their own version they want to use so what is the big deal!!!

Is it not the Holy Spirit that is suppose to be teaching us all truths either directly, or working through others! If everyone would Spiritually discern what they are being taught then they will come to all truths.

I feel those who argue different versions invest to much time that would be better spent on witnessing Christ to others.

just my :twocents

Did they? Where are all the passages that show they prayed to determine the meaning of Scripture?
Matt 7:7-8,11, 18:19, 21:22, John 11:22, 14:13-14, 15:7,16, 16:23-24,
James 1:5..."If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."
James 4:2-3, 1 John 3:22, 5:14-15.
Where are any scriptures that say we can look at every Tom, Dick, and Harry's interpretation for what God will freely give us Himself?
If you roll alone, you still get dirty. The problem is, you still think you’re clean, no matter what anyone else says.
What "everyone else" says contradicts what God says.
I will continue to adhere to God's sayings.

Matt 7:7-8,11, 18:19, 21:22, John 11:22, 14:13-14, 15:7,16, 16:23-24,
James 1:5..."If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."
James 4:2-3, 1 John 3:22, 5:14-15.
Good passages, all of them, but none say anything about praying for the meaning of Scripture.

Where are any scriptures that say we can look at every Tom, Dick, and Harry's interpretation for what God will freely give us Himself?
I'm not sure, since that isn't an argument I made. The irony is, you seem to be intent on following only your own interpretation while ignoring the thousands and thousands of others you should be taking into account.

What we do see is that God gifts certain people for the teaching of Scripture:

1Co 12:28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. (ESV)

Eph 4:11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers,
Eph 4:12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,
Eph 4:13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, (ESV)

1Ti 3:1 The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task.
1Ti 3:2 Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, (ESV)

1Ti 4:11 Command and teach these things.
1Ti 4:12 Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.
1Ti 4:13 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. (ESV)

1Ti 5:17 Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching. (ESV)

2Ti 2:24 And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, (ESV)

Heb 5:12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, (ESV)

First and foremost are those whom God has chosen to be teachers in the church. And that was then, when they already had people distorting the Scriptures, so how much more we need teachers now, 2000 years later. As I said, God mainly works through ordinary means, such as people. To ignore the plethora of Christian voices over the centuries is to go about things in an un-Christian, unbiblical manner. There are reasons one of the fundamental aspects of Christianity is family and community,

What "everyone else" says contradicts what God says.
I will continue to adhere to God's sayings.
There have been many on these forums over the years that say all they do, all anyone has to do, is pray and the Holy Spirit will give them the understanding of a certain passage. Some even said they never consult the "works of men." The problem was, all those people contradict each other on various doctrines. Did the Holy Spirit really give contradictory and conflicting interpretations to all those users? Not likely. It's most likely that what they thought was something from the Holy Spirit actually wasn't, because that really is not how this works, the vast majority of the time.

Good passages, all of them, but none say anything about praying for the meaning of Scripture.

I'm not sure, since that isn't an argument I made. The irony is, you seem to be intent on following only your own interpretation while ignoring the thousands and thousands of others you should be taking into account.

1Co 12:28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. (ESV)

Eph 4:11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers,
Eph 4:12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,
Eph 4:13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, (ESV)

1Ti 3:1 The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task.
1Ti 3:2 Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, (ESV)

1Ti 4:12 Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.
1Ti 4:13 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. (ESV)

1Ti 5:17 Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching. (ESV)

2Ti 2:24 And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, (ESV)

Heb 5:12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, (ESV)

First and foremost are those whom God has chosen to be teachers in the church. And that was then, when they already had people distorting the Scriptures, so how much more we need teachers now, 2000 years later. As I said, God mainly works through ordinary means, such as people. To ignore the plethora of Christian voices over the centuries is to go about things in an un-Christian, unbiblical manner. There are reasons one of the fundamental aspects of Christianity is family and community,

There have been many on these forums over the years that say all they do, all anyone has to do, is pray and the Holy Spirit will give them the understanding of a certain passage. Some even said they never consult the "works of men." The problem was, all those people contradict each other on various doctrines. Did the Holy Spirit really give contradictory and conflicting interpretations to all those users? Not likely. It's most likely that what they thought was something from the Holy Spirit actually wasn't, because that really is not how this works, the vast majority of the time.
There is a vast difference between spiritual knowledge and mind knowledge. The problem is generally expressing the former in words that accurately express what one means.

The Holy Spirit does give "understanding" but not necessarily what we refer to as "knowledge". Speaking in tongues is a very good example of this. Paul says that when he speaks in tongues his mind is unproductive. 1 Corinthians 14:14, "For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unproductive." NRSVue

All of them refer to our ability to request from God that which we need.
I'm not sure, since that isn't an argument I made.
Isn't it?
You want us to study men's works instead of praying to God for His revelations.
I offer an alternative used by the children of God since Jesus spoke on earth. (John 14:13-14, 15:16, 16:23-24,26)
The irony is, you seem to be intent on following only your own interpretation while ignoring the thousands and thousands of others you should be taking into account.
If I am beseeching God for His meanings in the word, His answers are much more valuable to me than some man of unknown reputation.
Doesn't it then seem that Gods information is of more value than man's?
As He is the one providing the teachers, who do you think provided the teachings?
Thank God for the teachers who walk in the light.
Do you not ever pray for assurance that the teacher isn't of the devil?
I recommend you do.
Many fakes have entered into ministry.
I trust God more than I trust men.
I am happy to double check every preacher who has come into my life with prayer and help from God.
And I glorify Him when one is shown to be true.
And I glorify Him when the posers are exposed.
There have been many on these forums over the years that say all they do, all anyone has to do, is pray and the Holy Spirit will give them the understanding of a certain passage.
Are you really against asking God for His help?
Some even said they never consult the "works of men." The problem was, all those people contradict each other on various doctrines.
If all you are looking for is contradictions between allegedly Christians teachers, doesn't it behoove you to know which version of teaching is true and which isn't?
Did the Holy Spirit really give contradictory and conflicting interpretations to all those users? Not likely. It's most likely that what they thought was something from the Holy Spirit actually wasn't, because that really is not how this works, the vast majority of the time.
No, The Spirit doesn't do such things.
But in trusting men, can you say the same thing?

Do you have any question you have searched for an answer in men's writings, and not gotten a clear answer to, that I can present to God on your behalf?
We can go to PM if you desire.

There is a vast difference between spiritual knowledge and mind knowledge. The problem is generally expressing the former in words that accurately express what one means.

The Holy Spirit does give "understanding" but not necessarily what we refer to as "knowledge". Speaking in tongues is a very good example of this. Paul says that when he speaks in tongues his mind is unproductive. 1 Corinthians 14:14, "For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unproductive." NRSVue
If it is not knowledge, how can you get an understanding of it?
Are not "knowledge" and "understanding" synonymous?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back