Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

The gate only opens from the inside!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

donadams

Only Jesus Christ: the way, the truth, the life!
Catholicism Overseer
The gate only opens from the inside!

You cannot open this gate from the outside!

You cannot enter the kingdom by your own efforts or “faith alone”!

Jn 3:5 5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

2 pet 1:11
For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

1 cor 8:10 Grace is administered by the apostles!

2 cir 5:18 apostles are the ministers of reconciliation!

Acts 16:17 the apostles show us the way to salvation!

By both the Water & the Spirit!

(((Baptismal regeneration)))

Context of Jn 3:5 “born again”

John1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)(His disciples believed because the ever Virgin mother of God interceded Jn 2:11)

John3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

(Key verse! Actions speak louder than words: verse 22)

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism / water)

John 4:1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John.

Born again means Baptismal regeneration! Not salvation proper but the beginning of salvation, union with God and the communion of saints by the grace of Jesus Christ the mediator of the new covenant!
Jn 15:4 Matt 24:13

baptismal regeneration!
A new creation in Christ! 2 cor 5:17
Jn 1 JTB prepared the way by baptism!
Jn 2 the waters of purification are OT prefigurement of baptism!
Jn 3:5 born again means baptism
Jn 3:22 they immediately went to the river! Not to preach “accept Christ as personal lord and savior”
But to BAPTIZE!!!

John prepared the way by “water baptism”!
Jesus says “water baptism” Mk 16:16 Jn 3:5 apostles say “water baptism” acts 2:38-39 acts 22:16 1 pet 3:20-21 God says “water baptism” ez 36:25-27
Jn 3:22 they immediately went to the river (water) and they baptized!

Christian baptism is an outward sign of the inward action of grace, or merits of Christ’s passion blood and death applied to our souls!

We cannot see the inward action of grace purifying the soul, so God gave us the outward “sign” of water washing the body to indicate the inward action of grace and connected the two.

No one is saved (objectively) without baptism if it is available, it is the initiation into the new covenant ark of salvation sealed by God thru baptism!

Jn 3:5
cannot enter the kingdom on your own.

2 pet 1:11
For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 8:19
And not that only, but who was also chosen of the churches to travel with us with this grace, which is administered by us to the glory of the same Lord, and declaration of your ready mind:

Zech 13:1 “In that day there shall be a fountain opened TO THE HOUSE OF DAVID, and to the INHABITANTS OF JERUSALEM, for sin and for uncleanness."

Lk 3:6 And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

7 Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Psalm 1:3
And he shall be like a tree (cross) planted by the rivers of water, (baptism) that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

Rev 22:3 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

3 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. (Cross)

Ez 47:9 And it shall come to pass, that every thing that liveth, which moveth, whithersoever the rivers shall come, shall live: and there shall be a very great multitude of fish, because these waters shall come thither: for they shall be healed; and every thing shall live whither the river cometh.

10 And it shall come to pass, that the fishers shall stand upon it from Engedi even unto Eneglaim; they shall be a place to spread forth nets; their fish shall be according to their kinds, as the fish of the great sea, exceeding many.

Matthew 4:19
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Ez 47:1 Afterward he brought me again unto the door of the house; and, behold, waters issued out from under the threshold of the house eastward: for the forefront of the house stood toward the east, and the waters came down from under from the right side of the house, at the south side of the altar.

John 2:21
But he spake of the temple of his body.

Jn 19:34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

1 pet 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied. (Baptism)

Thks

The Christian sacrament* of baptismal regeneration is required for the new covenant and salvation!

*this promise acts 2:38-39 is a sacred oath from God ez 36:25-27 and a sacred oath is a sacrament!

Initiation!!!

Faith & Baptism is the initiation of the new and eternal covenant!

You cannot enter on you’re own or by “faith alone”!

You cannot receive Christ or grace by “faith alone”!

“Accept Christ as you’re personal lord and savior” is fundamentalist tradition not found scripture!

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

2 pet 1: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Baptismal regeneration a new creation in Christ! 2 Cor 5:17

A sacrament is an oath! A sacred promise from God! Ez 36:25-27
Acts 2:38-39 (this promise)

No baptism no grace!
No union with God and His saints thru Christ the mediator!

A sacrament is an outward sign for all men including infants And a gift from God to help us see what he does inwardly and invisibly by his grace!

As grace Washes our souls in the merits of Jesus blood from original and personal sin, so the outward action of washing is visible!

without the outward action the inward action cannot take place!

Jn 3:5 Titus 3:5 water and washing
acts 22:16 wash away your sin!

Jn 3:5 Born again BY water and the spirit! Not by “faith alone”!

They did not go to Jerusalem and preach “accept Christ as you’re personal Lord and savior “

They went to the river (water) and they baptized! Jn 3:22

A covenant requires an outward sign of the inward action of grace!

Ez 36:25 I will sprinkle you with clean water and you shall be made white as snow.

Acts 22:16 washing away your sins.

Eph 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism.

1 pet 3:21 baptism saves you.

You cannot enter on you’re own or by faith alone! Jn 3:5

2 pet 1: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Heb 2:11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

Baptism!

God breathed life into Adam, gen 2:7 and we received this life from our fathers!

Christ breathed on the apostles our spiritual fathers, we receive the new covenant life of God’s grace from them thru faith & baptism! Jn 20:21-23 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38 eph 2

Born again! Born from above!

'The Father has set his seal' on Christ (John 6:27) and also seals us in him (cf. 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:23, 4:30). Because this seal indicates the indelible effect of the anointing with the Holy Spirit in the sacrament of Baptism,

Baptism indeed is the seal of eternal life." The faithful Christian who I has "kept the seal" until the end, remaining faithful to the demands of his Baptism, will be able to depart this life "marked with the sign of faith," with his baptismal faith, in expectation of the blessed vision of God - the consummation of faith - and in the hope of resurrection.

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13 and cannot be repeated

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

Sealed in the ark, sealed in the church the ark of salvation by God thru baptism!

Christ instituted the holy church to teach and sanctify all men unto eternal salvation. (repent and believe the gospel) with the institution of the sacraments to convey grace to sanctify souls!
Matt 28:19

Effects of faith & baptism!

Ez 36:25-27 washed in baptism, with a new heart and the Spirit
Jn 3:5 born again in baptism
Mk 16:16 faith & baptist
Acts 2:38 repentance & baptism
Acts 8:36-38 faith & baptism
Acts 22:16 baptism washes away sin
Rom 6:3 died with Christ
Col 2:12 risen with Christ
1 cor 12:13 baptized into the church
Gal 3:27 by baptism put on Christ
2 Tim 1:10 eph 2:1 and 5 brought to life
2 cor 5:17 new creation
Eph 1:13 eph 4:30 sealed by the Holy Spirit
Eph 4:5 one faith, one baptism
Eph 5:26 faith and baptism
Titus 3:5 baptismal regeneration
1 pet 1:2 washed in Christ’s blood
1 pet 2:9 the kingdom of light
1 pet 3:20-21 baptism saves us!

“Faith alone” accomplishes nothing!
1 cor 13:2 even all faith (alone) without charity avails NOTHING!!!

Faith and baptism!

Scripture says none of the things about “Faith alone”!

Only James 2:24 a man is justified by works and not by “faith alone”

2 Peter 1:11
For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Also acts 16:17

The Christian sacrament of baptism is the Initiation into the new covenant and must be ministered to you by the apostles!

The Christian sacrament of baptism is the Initiation into the new covenant and must be ministered to you by the apostles!
Must be administered by a disciple, and all saved persons are disciples.

There are only 12 apostles (not counting Judas) and they are dead, so an apostle cant baptize anyone. There will never be more apostles, only disciples.

The first act of faith is to be baptized.

There are no more apostles because a requirement for an apostle was to be witness of the resurrected Christ.

I’m not in favor of making things up as you go along. But that’s me, call me a weirdo.

I have been baptized, and I am a disciple, so yes I can go out and baptize in the name of God the Father, God the son and God the holy spirit.

Do I baptize? No. I leave that to My church leader.
Most were baptized in the name of Jesus. This is because it’s understood that Jesus had come in the name of the Father.
And being baptized in the Holy Spirit refers to receiving the gifts of the Spirit.

Here’s how it went.
The disciples would baptize someone in the name of Jesus, that person was then eligible to receive a certain measure of the gift of Christ(the Holy Spirit).

Seeing as how those gifts have ceased, what they receive after being baptized into Christ is faith, hope, and love. Because it is those three that remain.

I have been baptized, and I am a disciple, so yes I can go out and baptize in the name of God the Father, God the son and God the holy spirit.

Do I baptize? No. I leave that to My church leader.
Well leaving it up to your church leader is a good idea HP.
Because Jesus didn't tell His disciples that they could go out and baptize.
He commissioned the Apostles for the task in the Great Commission of
Matthew 28:19
"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

Is there somewhere in scripture that states that anyone could baptize a person??

Well leaving it up to your church leader is a good idea HP.
Because Jesus didn't tell His disciples that they could go out and baptize.
He commissioned the Apostles for the task in the Great Commission of
Matthew 28:19
"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

Is there somewhere in scripture that states that anyone could baptize a person??
I don’t think the Baptist John was an apostle.

I don’t think the Baptist John was an apostle.
John prepared the way.
He did NOT baptize in the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

He baptized for the forgiveness of sin - and today's baptisms are also for this reason.
However, Jesus told the Disciples to wait in Jerusalem, and in Acts 2 they were filled with the Holy Spirit.

John said One would come after him that would baptize with fire and the Holy Spirit.
Matthew 3:11

Do you think just anyone could baptize with fire and the Holy Spirit?
Or those that are authorized by Jesus to carry on HIS work?

Acts 19:3-6
3And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” And they said, “Into John’s baptism.”
4Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus.”
5When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying.

John prepared the way.
He did NOT baptize in the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

He baptized for the forgiveness of sin - and today's baptisms are also for this reason.
However, Jesus told the Disciples to wait in Jerusalem, and in Acts 2 they were filled with the Holy Spirit.

John said One would come after him that would baptize with fire and the Holy Spirit.
Matthew 3:11

Do you think just anyone could baptize with fire and the Holy Spirit?
Or those that are authorized by Jesus to carry on HIS work?

Acts 19:3-6
3And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” And they said, “Into John’s baptism.”
4Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus.”
5When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying.
The miraculous gifts of the Holy Spirt have ceased, obviously.
If someone is to be immersed in water, it ought be in Jesus’ name. Which covers the name of the Father also because Jesus has come in the name of his Father.
That’s why you read they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

If someone is to be immersed in water, it ought be in Jesus’ name. Which covers the name of the Father also because Jesus has come in the name of his Father.
I don't believe the gifts of the Holy Spirit have ceased.

I don't believe the gifts of the Holy Spirit have ceased.
Not all, just the miraculous ones. Faith, hope and love remain.
I’m greatly interested.
What do I need to do to speak Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic?
What do I need to do to go around healing people?

Why am I left out?
No one in the first century was.
I been cheated!

How have the gifts of the Holy Spirit ceased?

Could you tell if the following is in the present tense or in the past tense?

5 There are different ways to serve. But they all come from the same Lord. 6 There are different ways the Spirit works. But the same God is working in all these ways and in all people.

1 Corinthians 12:7-11
7 The Holy Spirit is given to each of us in a special way. That is for the good of all.
8 To some people the Spirit gives a message of wisdom. To others the same Spirit gives a message of knowledge. 9 To others the same Spirit gives faith. To others that one Spirit gives gifts of healing.
10 To others he gives the power to do miracles. To others he gives the ability to prophesy. To others he gives the ability to tell the spirits apart. To others he gives the ability to speak in different kinds of languages they had not known before. And to still others he gives the ability to explain what was said in those languages.
11 All the gifts are produced by one and the same Spirit. He gives gifts to each person, just as he decides.

The above states that God gives gifts to all,,,to all a different gift.

I'd say that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are present even to this day.
I don't see a time constraint on the above.

Because YOU personally are not aware of these gifts does not mean that they don't exist.

When completeness comes....the gifts will cease.
Completeness has not come.

How have the gifts of the Holy Spirit ceased?

Could you tell if the following is in the present tense or in the past tense?

5 There are different ways to serve. But they all come from the same Lord. 6 There are different ways the Spirit works. But the same God is working in all these ways and in all people.

1 Corinthians 12:7-11
7 The Holy Spirit is given to each of us in a special way. That is for the good of all.
8 To some people the Spirit gives a message of wisdom. To others the same Spirit gives a message of knowledge. 9 To others the same Spirit gives faith. To others that one Spirit gives gifts of healing.
10 To others he gives the power to do miracles. To others he gives the ability to prophesy. To others he gives the ability to tell the spirits apart. To others he gives the ability to speak in different kinds of languages they had not known before. And to still others he gives the ability to explain what was said in those languages.
11 All the gifts are produced by one and the same Spirit. He gives gifts to each person, just as he decides.

The above states that God gives gifts to all,,,to all a different gift.

I'd say that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are present even to this day.
I don't see a time constraint on the above.

Because YOU personally are not aware of these gifts does not mean that they don't exist.

When completeness comes....the gifts will cease.
Completeness has not come.
What miraculous gift do you have?

You didn't read the scripture.
NOT EVERYONE HAS EVERY GIFT.
Surely there must be some who have the gift of being able to speak languages without any prior training. Or those who can heal others. And anything else that would be considered miraculous.
Where are they? Do you know any?

Why do you think there are no more apostles ?
I can't agree.
Acts 1
21 Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,

22 Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

23 And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.

24 And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,

25 That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.

26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back