Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

The gate only opens from the inside!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
21 Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus was living among us, 22 beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.”

No more apostles. Only disciples.

Can disciples baptize, or just Apostles?

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them

John 4
4 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,

2 (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

It seems as though scripture has that answer locked down.

Can disciples baptize, or just Apostles?

John 4
4 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,

It seems as though scripture has that answer locked down.
Only Apostles can baptize except in cases of emergency...in that case anyone can, even you or I.

I'm not sure I understand your post....
Jesus made more disciples than John.
Jesus baptized more than John.

What does that have to do with the fact that not just anyone can baptize?

The qualifications for being an apostle included having been with Christ during His ministry, having personally witnessed Jesus after His resurrection
Just saw this....you're replying to another member.
I do want to clarify that there are no longer Apostles today...
but there are those that hold that OFFICE.

Must be administered by a disciple, and all saved persons are disciples.

There are only 12 apostles (not counting Judas) and they are dead, so an apostle cant baptize anyone. There will never be more apostles, only disciples.
You right but only in the case of baptism and only if death is eminent

Matt 28:19 acts 1:8 require apostles to continue till Christ returns

Teach all nations
Witnesses to the ends of the earth

The apostles have jurisdictional authority to administer the new covenant of grace by the sacraments instituted by Christ

Because Jesus didn't tell His disciples that they could go out and baptize.

Why does it have to be in scripture to be true?
History books can be true as well, but for doctrine, scripture is the only truth I need and rely on.
The RCC version of truth and their view on sola scripture laughable.

You can believe your religion Don, I can't, and I will not. I do not base my eternal life on their interpretation of what scripture says, there are too many false interpretations for me to accept that religion as truth.
There may be some truth in your religion, just as there are many other religions, such as the Muslim religion, but too many untruths for it to be of any value to me.

Now it's your turn to tell me that your religion (RCC) is the only true religion, and post verses out of context to try to prove your unproven stance. It's all just white noise and false interpretation to fit YOUR BELIEF, Instead of your belief proved by scripture.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Last edited:
Acts 1
21 Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,

22 Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

23 And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.

24 And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,

25 That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.

26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles
Your intent seems to be to dispute Paul's apostleship.
If only the original 13 were qualified to be apostles, you might have been right.
But there were more apostles after the original 13, making your POV moot.

But there were more apostles after the original 13, making your POV moot.

Scripture defines scripture.
26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

21 Wherefore of these men (((((((which have)))))) companied with us (((((all the time))))) that the Lord Jesus went in and out among ((((us,))))

22 ((((((Beginning))))))) from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be (((((a witness with us of his resurrection.)))))

Scripture defines scripture.
26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

21 Wherefore of these men (((((((which have)))))) companied with us (((((all the time))))) that the Lord Jesus went in and out among ((((us,))))

22 ((((((Beginning))))))) from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be (((((a witness with us of his resurrection.)))))
So Paul is not an apostle ?
Barnabus either ?

Jesus can make anyone He wants an apostle.

Bible verse?

What office on Earth? where is it located on Earth?
Who is the head of that office on Earth?
Scripture required.
I get this a lot Humblepie.
And I'm not apt to debate this.....
Do you believe Christian history ended with John's death?
Or do you believe the church carried on after John's death?

If you believe the first, then our conversation ends right here.
If you believe that the church carried on and grew after Jesus' ascension, then we could discuss.
You DO know that Jesus gave Peter the keys to the Kingdom.
Matthew 16:19

What Kingdom?
Is there a Kingdom here on earth?

If so, did the OFFICE of the Apostles die with John, or was it carried on to this day?

Office....not AN OFFICE that is in existence somewhere.
The AUTHORIITY given to the Apostles....
Does it still exist or not?

Do you think that Paul was the last one Jesus ever spoke or appeared to ?
I know otherwise.
Sure, Revelation.

But we are talking apostles as the scripture defines them. Paul was a self proclaimed apostle and doesn't fit the definition of a true apostle according to scripture.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back