Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Gift Of Tounges.

Is the Gift of Tounges relevant to Our Generation?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Eve

LOL no is trying to get away from any scriptures, only trying to show you the bigger pitcture here. The problem is not the bible...you are taking text out context and reading into the text your own presumed ideas, and just are not willing to see that you are doing it.

There are people here trying to teach you, why won't you learn?

There are people here trying to teach you, why won't you learn?

Hbr 5:11 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.

Hbr 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which [be] the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

Hbr 5:13 For every one that useth milk [is] unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.

Hbr 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, [even] those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Eve

You are just tossing around scriptures as if by doing so, you somehow lend creditability to what you are saying.

These verses actually better apply to the things that you say, since you dear are one who thinks herself a teacher, when you need to be taught.

But stuborness is a hard thing to deal with, and you simply refuse to listen.

of course i believe it still exists but the problem is most people today do not use this gift in the way that the Bible says. for some reason people degrade this gift because it is refered to as the least of the spiritual gifts but if it wasn't important then God would not have given it to man

I wasn't aware this topic had been revived.

SavedByGrace, Would you care to give a reason why you feel the gift is no longer in use?

Anyone care to give a reason why you feel the gift is no longer in use?

Because it has been very abused and therefore has been completely 'thrown out'.

Because it is a misunderstood gift.

Because it's not something that can be 'programmed' in to the usual church agenda, it would require actually allowing the Holy Spirit some freedom.

Because we aren't being taught to covet all of the gifts.

Because the laodician church system of today is too sophisticated and proud to be caught doing anything that they would see as 'undignified' as speaking in tongues.

Glossa - Greek for tongues

Lexicon Results for glossa (Strong's 1100)
Greek for 1100 (Strong's concordance reference)

Pronunciation Guide
glossa {gloce-sah'}

TDNT Reference Root Word
TDNT - 1:719,123 of uncertain affinity
Part of Speech
n f
Outline of Biblical Usage
1) the tongue, a member of the body, an organ of speech

2) a tongue

a) the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations

This was defined by a Greek Scholar - Dr. Spiros Zhodiates who has been editor of the Greek/Hebrew Study Bible. I retrieved this information from the Blue Letter Bible (Chuck Missler's bible site).

As you can see, tongues is a language or dialect and that is why Peter did not need an interpreter when they spoke in tongues as Peter had the gift of speaking in the 70 languages that were mentioned in Acts 2. He understood right off the bat what they were saying. There is no mystical thing about speaking in tongues as you can obviously see. It is a spoken language....nothing else. Praise God. No controversy.

Submitted in the peace and grace of Jesus,

Helen

Helen,

Well thought out but without the first bit of experience on your part of participating in this wonderful Gift....If you have no experience in speaking in tongues, then you are just parroting what you have read or heard...with all due respect.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the post is not for anyone in particular, but for those who read this with an open mind.

Why is it, people can believe that God will save them, but they can't believe for anything else that is a part of his Kingdom?

The supernatural gifts brings you into the Kingdom. It is like having a taste of what it will be like once Jesus returns. He gave us these gifts to help us. Why would you believe the Early church needed them but we don't? Were they some other species of human being or were they like us, with the same needs we have today. Would God be a respecter of persons and give them great and wonderful gifts, but give us nothing?

Mat 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

-

Do you think these good things he wants to give us is new houses and cars? No it is gifts of the spriit.....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luk 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall [your] heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Have you asked him since you believed? You get what you can believe for!

Jam 1:6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

Jam 1:7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

If you want it, you have to believe for it first.

Mat 13:58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

Sounds like some churches today, to me. If you aren't seeing healings, or prophecy or any of the Gifts of the Sprit at work in your church today, perhaps it is because of your unbelief!

Eve

If you have no experience in speaking in tongues, then you are just parroting what you have read or heard

Nonesence !!! I have had the "experience" and thought WOW this was the real deal. Not only that I bought into it for a long time, and practiced it all the time. Thinking "Oh, how spiritual I was", using the SAME verses that you do to support it.

And before you accuse someone of parroting, you better take a step back and look at what you are saying, EVERYTHING that you say, every argument that you wage can be found nearly word for word on ANY Oneness site, or in any Oneness book.

Sorry but "There is no mystical thing about speaking in tongues as you can obviously see. It is a spoken language....nothing else." is exactly right, and what we read about in the bible IF IF IF we read the bible and not read into the bible.

With all due respect you need to get off this FEELINGS/EXPERIENCE thing, it simply does not mean a thing. Your experience does not make a thing a true, lest mormonism would be true, After they all have a testimony that they prayed and God gave them the FEELING that it was true. The truth is transending your feelings, and found in the word of God.

Really you need to stop trying to teach and start learning.

Nonesence !!! I have had the "experience" and thought WOW this was the real deal. Not only that I bought into it for a long time, and practiced it all the time. Thinking "Oh, how spiritual I was", using the SAME verses that you do to support it.

Shame on you for trying to cheat..You can't cheat God. By pretending to speak in tongues and claiming what you didn't have, you mocked God. the difference between you and me, I wasn't trying to impress anyone. I come before him with a sincere heart and had no idea what was supposed to happen. I wasn't trying to fake anything.

People like you are the ones that make the Pentacostal experience seem phony to others.....they don't realize it is you that is the phony and not the experience.

Henry

With all due respect you need to get off this FEELINGS/EXPERIENCE thing, it simply does not mean a thing. Your experience does not make a thing a true, lest mormonism would be true, After they all have a testimony that they prayed and God gave them the FEELING that it was true. The truth is transending your feelings, and found in the word of God.

I just posted this in another thread, but I'll post it here in case it gets missed: one cannot be saved without feelings. I agree that ones experience doesn't make something true, but neither does faith make something true and I'm sure you don't believe that we should put aside faith. Mormonism is false based on their heretical doctrines, regardless of their feelings. But feelings/emotions/experience play an important role in the Christian walk and certainly cannot be ignored.

But feelings/emotions/experience play an important role in the Christian walk and certainly cannot be ignored.

Feelings are nice to have, but can get you in trouble if you are lead by those feelings.

As far as the comments on tongues and it no longer being a gift, that it was just for the early church I disagree. I don't understand the argument that spiritual gifts ceased with the apostles. Why would the Lord stop giving those gifts? Christ has given us Himself. He has given us the Holy Spirit. When the Lord gave Himself to the people during NT times there were the manifestations of gifts. The Lord continues to give Himself to people and there should still be a manifestation of gifts of the Spirit. Has the Lord changed?

Back