Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Gospel: Propositions or Person?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Tenchi

Acts 4:12
12 "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under
heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."

A fellow in a discipleship course I teach on Sunday evenings was sharing how he had confronted a neighbor with a question about her knowledge of the Gospel. "Have you heard the Gospel?," he asked her, bluntly. He meant well, wanting to evangelize the lost as Scripture commands the born-again to do. But his approach was telling. It spoke volumes about his experience of God, you see - as it does for many Christians who take the same tack in sharing the Gospel with the lost. The fellow's approach actually suggested an absence of a personal, direct experience of God.

Consider the following conversation:

Bob: Hey, have you heard the Gospel?

Nancy: No. What's the Gospel?

Bob: It's the Good News of salvation!

Nancy: Salvation? What do you mean?

Bob: The Gospel is the Good News that you can be saved from your sin and know God personally!

Nancy: You know God personally?

Bob: Well...yes...I'm a Christian.

Nancy: Do you see God?

Bob: No...

Nancy: Do you hear God?

Bob: Sort of, yes...

Nancy: Oh? Do you hear a voice in your head?

Bob: Not exactly...maybe, sometimes?

Nancy: Don't crazy people hear voices in their heads?

Bob: Uh...I'm not crazy...

Nancy: How do you know the voice in your head is God?

Bob: Umm...I just know, I guess. His voice is different...

Nancy: Uh huh. So, you don't see God and you - maybe - "hear" Him in your head. Do you ever feel Him, or smell Him?

Bob: Smell God? I don't think God has a smell...

Nancy: And He doesn't hold your hand, or pat you on the back, or give you a hug, does He?

Bob: No...

Nancy: So, you have an "invisible friend" who wants to save me from my sin?

Bob: God's real. He's not my "invisible friend."

Nancy: Well, you can't see Him; you can't touch Him; He doesn't speak to you out loud; you can't perceive Him with any of your physical senses. How do you know He's real?

Bob: God's a Spirit but He's real. I walk with Him every day!

Nancy: Oh? How? What does your invisible friend do that is "real"?

Bob: Well, I go to church. I don't do bad things. I pray and read my Bible. I even play guitar for the Worship band. I've...felt things.

Nancy: Uh huh. So, what about God? What does He do that makes Him "real" to you?

Bob: I just told you...

Nancy: No, you told me what you do for God. What does He do for you? And how do you know for sure it's God and not just your imagination, or peer pressure?

Bob: Uh...well...He helps me to live better.

Nancy: What does that mean? Better than what? How do you know it's God helping you?

Bob: I...uh...Hey, look at the time! I gotta go! Here's a Gospel tract. It'll explain better than I can about God. My pastor's phone number's on the back. Bye!

What's Bob's basic problem in sharing the Gospel in this scenario? He doesn't know what it is to experience God personally and directly. If God convicts me every day, as the Bible says His Spirit will do (John 16:8); if God teaches me His truth every day, as the Bible says His Spirit will do (John 14:26; John 16:13; 1 Corinthians 2;10-16); if God strengthens me daily in moments of testing and temptation, as the Bible says His Spirit will do (Ephesians 3:16; Romans 8:13; Philippians 2:13); if God, by the work of His Spirit, is changing me, day by day, into the "image of Christ" (Romans 8:29; Galatians 5:22-23; 2 Corinthians 3:18), and if I know what distinguishes these things in my life as His work, then I can easily answer Nancy's questions above, telling her, not about propositions of truth, but about my real, life-changing experience of a Person.

How about you? Are you like Bob, willing to share the Gospel with folks but able only to do so from a propositional position rather than from a concrete, personal, daily experience of the Person revealed in the Gospel? If you're like Bob, don't let this fact keep you from evangelizing the lost. Instead, begin to submit to God, to His Spirit, all throughout each day, giving him opportunity to teach you by being in God's word daily and extensively, remaining yielded to Him in moments of temptation, moving in God's direction as the Spirit enables you to do, by faith standing on the truth of who you are in Jesus Christ, refusing to be moved from the promises of God to you. (Romans 6; Romans 12:1; 2 Corinthians 5:7; Romans 13:14; Matthew 4:4; Psalms 1; Galatians 5:16, 25)

It's the Person revealed in the Gospel, our Savior, Jesus Christ people need to know personally and intimately, not mere propositions of Truth about him.

2Tim 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Tim 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Tim 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
2Tim 4:5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

Always pray first and ask the Holy Spirit to give you what to say when you begin your witness to others that have not Christ.

Q&A
Have you ever heard the Gospels of God's mercy and grace? (allow it to come up in a casual conversation)

No, never heard of them. What are they all about? (opened door to witness Christ and testify of Him)

The Gospels are about the mercy and grace of God's love for us that by faith we believe in whom He says He is. (opens a door for more sharing)

What do you mean by faith, what is that?

Faith is a complete trust in someone or something as my faith is placed in Christ Jesus and what He has done for me. (opened door for your testimony in how you came to know the Lord)

At this point they will want to know more or will shut you down.

Always pray first and ask the Holy Spirit to give you what to say when you begin your witness to others that have not Christ.

What does it mean for the "Holy Spirit to give you what to say"? How do you know when the Holy Spirit is doing this?

Q&A
Have you ever heard the Gospels of God's mercy and grace? (allow it to come up in a casual conversation)

I love my wife and she occupies a big part of my life so, quite naturally, she comes up in my conversations with other people. I can't help but talk about her, and my experience of her, and the good things we enjoy in relationship with one another. Why isn't this the way Christians typically share Christ with the lost? What better argument for God, for Christ, than your own positive, life-changing, daily, intimate experience of Him? What better way to evangelize than to demonstrate from your own life how meaningful, and good, and fulfilling knowing and walking with God is? Instead, though, many Christians make the Gospel only an academic thing, just a set of truth propositions, neglecting any discussion of their own personal fellowship with God through Christ. And this happens, in my experience, because they have no such fellowship with Him.

The Gospels are about the mercy and grace of God's love for us that by faith we believe in whom He says He is. (opens a door for more sharing)

Lots of "Christianese" in this line. What are "the Gospels"? There is only one Gospel of Salvation. There are, in the Bible, The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, which contain the Gospel of Salvation, but are historical accounts of the Person and teachings of Jesus Christ. Is it a good idea to immediately mix up these two Gospels, the historical accounts of Jesus, and the Good News of reconciliation of sinners to a holy God through him? And what does "the mercy and grace of God's love for us" mean? Non-Christians don't talk this way.

Might it not be better to speak of one's experience of God's love expressed in how He convicts us of the sin that harms us (and others), in how He teaches us His truth, and in how He strengthens us and changes us? Might it not be more of interest to a lost person to know that they can experience God directly and positively and in a life-changing way, too?

Just some thoughts on your post. Thanks for offering it.

What does it mean for the "Holy Spirit to give you what to say"? How do you know when the Holy Spirit is doing this?
Luke 12:12 For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.
I love my wife and she occupies a big part of my life so, quite naturally, she comes up in my conversations with other people. I can't help but talk about her, and my experience of her, and the good things we enjoy in relationship with one another. Why isn't this the way Christians typically share Christ with the lost? What better argument for God, for Christ, than your own positive, life-changing, daily, intimate experience of Him? What better way to evangelize than to demonstrate from your own life how meaningful, and good, and fulfilling knowing and walking with God is? Instead, though, many Christians make the Gospel only an academic thing, just a set of truth propositions, neglecting any discussion of their own personal fellowship with God through Christ. And this happens, in my experience, because they have no such fellowship with Him.
I already said this as our own personal testimony can lead many to the Lord
Lots of "Christianese" in this line. What are "the Gospels"? There is only one Gospel of Salvation. There are, in the Bible, The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, which contain the Gospel of Salvation, but are historical accounts of the Person and teachings of Jesus Christ. Is it a good idea to immediately mix up these two Gospels, the historical accounts of Jesus, and the Good News of reconciliation of sinners to a holy God through him? And what does "the mercy and grace of God's love for us" mean? Non-Christians don't talk this way.

Might it not be better to speak of one's experience of God's love expressed in how He convicts us of the sin that harms us (and others), in how He teaches us His truth, and in how He strengthens us and changes us? Might it not be more of interest to a lost person to know that they can experience God directly and positively and in a life-changing way, too?
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John give their inspired writings about the teachings of Christ in how they explain Christ to others. They are historical accounts of them actually walking with Jesus and hearing His verbal teachings. There is only one Gospel, but four different accounts from each one of them. They are not robots, but give their own accounts as they are very similar to each other. If you start out by telling others they are a sinner then most of the time you will loose them. The interest to the lost we bring the Gospel to is that of our own personal witness testifying what Jesus has done for us.

Hi Tenchi

Personally, I'd have seen if the guy wanted to teach an evangelism class. That's exactly what we're supposed to do. Ask others if they've heard the good news. For those who then ask us such questions as you present, then we need to have a ready answer. Honestly some christian trying to share the gospel allowing themself to be sidetracked by someone asking the kinds of questions you posit, needs that class!

God bless,
Ted

Hi again Tenchi

You might also want to consider in your mind the experience of Jesus. You know... Jesus. The Son of God who knows your very thoughts. He spent 3 years going throughout all of Israel proclaiming the gospel. But did you catch that when he was crucified and ascended into heaven, there were very, very, very few Jews who believed what he had told them.

So, we need to understand that there really isn't some perfect way to explain the gospel that's going to just make everyone who hears your words suddenly believe!!! Jesus understands that. He asks us to share the gospel... Then for THOSE WHO BELIEVE baptize them and teach them all that he has commanded us. If you, in your proclaiming, get caught up by some question that someone asks... that's ok. You planted a seed. Someone may come along 3 years down the road and water that seed. But it is God that makes the seed grow... not you!

I would have applauded your participants desire to fulfill Jesus' command to him.

God bless,
Ted

Hi @Tenchi

Personally, I'd have seen if the guy wanted to teach an evangelism class. That's exactly what we're supposed to do. Ask others if they've heard the good news.

Yes, but the "Good News" is, at bottom, a Person, not a set of truth propositions. This isn't to say that sharing those truth propositions isn't necessary to sharing the Gospel; it is necessary. But, too often I think, Christians share the Gospel with folks in a vacuum of experience of the One they're inviting others to know as Savior and Lord. And it shows.

For those who then ask us such questions as you present, then we need to have a ready answer.

Being "ready" is not the product of academic study, of an apologetics class or two, however, but of a daily, intimate, personal experience of one's Lord and Savior. I don't ever have to bone-up on being married to my wife, I don't have to take a course on how to know and love my wife; I just love and enjoy her every day and so can speak very authoritatively on what it is to do so to anyone who asks. The same holds true, to a great degree, in sharing the Good News of life in Christ Jesus.

Honestly some christian trying to share the gospel allowing themself to be sidetracked by someone asking the kinds of questions you posit, needs that class!

No, what they need is a real, daily, life-transforming experience of the God they claim to know.

Hi again @Tenchi

You might also want to consider in your mind the experience of Jesus. You know... Jesus.

??? Yes, I know Jesus.

He spent 3 years going throughout all of Israel proclaiming the gospel.

Well, hang on. Did he? Did Jesus ever plainly speak of his atoning work as the "Lamb of God"? Did he ever clearly teach on the cleansing effect of his shed blood, and on the need to receive his atoning work by faith, and on the spiritually-regenerating work of the Holy Spirit? No. He preached the coming kingdom of God, yes, but veiled his meaning, never once in the record of Scripture offering a clear, plain explication of the Way of Salvation.

But did you catch that when he was crucified and ascended into heaven, there were very, very, very few Jews who believed what he had told them.

I've been studying God's word for a long time. So, yes, I did "catch" this.

So, we need to understand that there really isn't some perfect way to explain the gospel that's going to just make everyone who hears your words suddenly believe!!!

??? I don't recall ever writing in my OP that there was such a way...

But there are definitely better and worse ways to approach sharing the Good News of salvation with the lost - as my OP illustrated.

If you, in your proclaiming, get caught up by some question that someone asks... that's ok. You planted a seed. Someone may come along 3 years down the road and water that seed. But it is God that makes the seed grow... not you!

Yes, but it may well be that one's "seed" was poorly planted, or offered so poorly that it was rejected outright. This is far more likely to happen when one shares the Gospel from a life devoid of any real experience of the Savior. This was the point of my OP, not that one can - or should - "make the sale" evangelically in one go.

I would have applauded your participants desire to fulfill Jesus' command to him.

It wasn't his willingness, his desire, to share the Gospel that I was writing about. I certainly didn't criticize such a desire.

It's too bad you've read my OP with so much...antagonism? It appears that, as a result, you've mistaken most of what it was about.

Luke 12:12 For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.

What does this mean? What does it look like, exactly? Was Jesus making a promise to every Christian in the verse you've cited, or was he speaking to certain people specifically?

I already said this as our own personal testimony can lead many to the Lord

??? Oh? If you did mean to say it, you're effort to do so wasn't obvious...

Matthew, Mark, Luke and John give their inspired writings about the teachings of Christ in how they explain Christ to others.

Uh huh.

They are historical accounts of them actually walking with Jesus and hearing His verbal teachings. There is only one Gospel, but four different accounts from each one of them. They are not robots, but give their own accounts as they are very similar to each other

Uh huh. I'm not sure what this has to do with my point about being clear on the Gospel...(as opposed to the Gospels).

If you start out by telling others they are a sinner then most of the time you will loose them. The interest to the lost we bring the Gospel to is that of our own personal witness testifying what Jesus has done for us.

Right. I wouldn't suggest always straight-off hitting a lost person with their sin. Mind you, Ray Comfort does this regularly to good effect with total strangers...

I agree with you that the Good News ought to be revealed as such in our own lives.

Hi Tenchi
Well, hang on. Did he? Did Jesus ever plainly speak of his atoning work as the "Lamb of God"? Did he ever clearly teach on the cleansing effect of his shed blood, and on the need to receive his atoning work by faith, and on the spiritually-regenerating work of the Holy Spirit? No. He preached the coming kingdom of God, yes, but veiled his meaning, never once in the record of Scripture offering a clear, plain explication of the Way of Salvation.
I'm going to just assume that this is some big joke and you're having me on that Jesus didn't seem to be clear in your understanding of his work. Just because you can write big words, and spell them correctly, doesn't ipso facto make you knowledgeable on the subject of which you're attempting to teach.
I've been studying God's word for a long time. So, yes, I did "catch" this.
And you, therefore, don't see any correlation in how much we should expect from our own efforts when even the Son of God was unable to attract many to the truth of his Father.

Look, you do you, but I think the man in your class should be applauded for even having the courage to share with others the gospel. If one day, we find the perfect way to present the gospel so that everyone who hears it believes, then we'll get that established as the official way to teach the gospel. Until then, we should expect that our efforts will be kind of along the same harvest as Jesus had. But because there are a lot more of us than one person doing the teaching these days, many are coming to the knowledge of the truth. However, I would challenge you to talk with any evangelist and find the one that has even a 60% success rate in accepting the truth of the gospel. Even though, they are trained by the best to use the very methods that you likely think are the secret formulary for sharing that truth.
as my OP illustrated.
Personally, I don't see that your OP indicated anything of the sort. Let me ask you? Every time you speak to an unbeliever with your 'OP indicated' method of sharing, do you have a 60% success rate?

Look friend, here's what Jesus told us to do. Go and preach the gospel to everyone of every nation and every tongue. Baptizing those who will believe and teaching them all that he has commanded us.

No warning that we need some special way or words to preach it. Just go preach it. I think your class mate was likely being more faithful to Jesus' command than you may think. But that's ok.

God bless,
Ted

Hi again Tenchi
It's too bad you've read my OP with so much...antagonism? It appears that, as a result, you've mistaken most of what it was about.
Ok straighten me out here. So you're not saying that your classmates work was wrong in any way, as I'm saying your posts seem to allude to.
It spoke volumes about his experience of God, you see - as it does for many Christians who take the same tack in sharing the Gospel with the lost. The fellow's approach actually suggested an absence of a personal, direct experience of God.
These are actually the words you used to describe your classmate's effort. You have gleaned from this man saying that he asked a friend if she had heard the gospel, which is all that is claimed that he said to her in the OP, that suggests an absence of a personal, direct experience of God. REALLY!?!?!?!?!?!!

You don't even follow up with what his next words to her were. Then YOU! go off and make up an entire scenario to support some claim that you believe he isn't sharing the gospel correctly! YOU!!!!! You make up an entire conversation of push back from a non-believer, but your way would have had the person licking the love of God right out of your hand. Yea, I think I got the meaning and intention of your OP. But I'm more than willing to listen to what your final point is, if that's not it.

God bless,
Ted

Look, we should applaud anyone's effort to spread the gospel of salvation through Christ Jesus, the Lord. If I had been teaching the class, and I don't know how this conversation got started, I would have likely followed up with asking the classmate how it went? What was her response? Then, if he told me that she had brought up the kinds of complaints that you have made up in your mind, I'd likely tell him, "Well, you planted a seed. Someone may come along in the future and water it."

Sure, we can all read "Share Jesus Without Fear" and a lot of Bill Bright's work on the matter. Sure, we can likely fine tune our approach, but we aren't all going to be Billy Grahams. But the gospel is simple. We are created beings and we have sinned against the one who created us. He has raised up one to take our place to receive the punishment of our sin. That one is the man Jesus who walked in Israel 2,000 years ago. He died, just as God's word told us that he would. He laid buried in a tomb for three days, just as he himself said that he would. God raised him from the dead and he spoke to/was seen by over 500 people living and breathing after his death. Can I share with you what that means for us?

Now, at this point they say no or yes. If they say no, well they are the ones that the seed fell on the pathway. Immediately trodden underfoot. Those are the people who just don't want to hear it. If they say yes, then you pray that the Holy Spirit gives you the words to speak and you plunge ahead with the full authority of God's word in expounding on the explanation of the gospel. No, we never attack for sin. Or in anyway try to make someone feel guilty for their sin. If they come to believe what you're about to tell them, that then becomes the job of the Holy Spirit. If they, after hearing your explanation still reject it as truth, then you can also consider that person as the example of the seed falling on the pathway.

But if they show intention to believe what you tell them, then they become subject to the other three types of seed. Two last for only a short time and only one stays the course and produces a crop of righteousness for God. A pleasing sacrifice to Him that we love others enough to share the gospel and let the chips fall where they may. It isn't my job to make the seed grow. Jesus was clear. That's the job of his Father, through the Spirit.

God bless,
Ted

I'm going to just assume that this is some big joke and you're having me on that Jesus didn't seem to be clear in your understanding of his work. Just because you can write big words, and spell them correctly, doesn't ipso facto make you knowledgeable on the subject of which you're attempting to teach.

Well, show me from the Gospels where Christ gave a crystal clear, unveiled, full accounting of the Gospel prior to the cross.

And you, therefore, don't see any correlation in how much we should expect from our own efforts when even the Son of God was unable to attract many to the truth of his Father.

Your assertion here is wrong. It is actually your assumption about what I "see," not descriptive of anything that I actually wrote.

Look, you do you, but I think the man in your class should be applauded for even having the courage to share with others the gospel.

No one criticized him for wanting to share the Gospel. My OP had nothing to do with such a desire.

However, I would challenge you to talk with any evangelist and find the one that has even a 60% success rate in accepting the truth of the gospel. Even though, they are trained by the best to use the very methods that you likely think are the secret formulary for sharing that truth.

Please don't offer your speculations on what I think. Your speculations are entirely wrong.

Personally, I don't see that your OP indicated anything of the sort.

Then you need to re-read my OP without your antagonism coloring your comprehension of my remarks.

Look friend, here's what Jesus told us to do. Go and preach the gospel to everyone of every nation and every tongue. Baptizing those who will believe and teaching them all that he has commanded us.

I'm well aware of what Jesus commanded concerning evangelism.

No warning that we need some special way or words to preach it. Just go preach it. I think your class mate was likely being more faithful to Jesus' command than you may think. But that's ok.

My OP wasn't about his faithfulness to the command to evangelize. Please re-read my OP.

Ok straighten me out here. So you're not saying that your classmates work was wrong in any way, as I'm saying your posts seem to allude to.

??? You've focused upon criticism of his desire, his willingness, to share the Gospel where my OP was focused on the proper relational context (fellowship with God) from which to do so.

Frankly, it seems to me you just want to disagree with me and are so determined to do so you will fabricate ground for your disagreement, if necessary.

These are actually the words you used to describe your classmate's effort. You have gleaned from this man saying that he asked a friend if she had heard the gospel, which is all that is claimed that he said to her in the OP, that suggests an absence of a personal, direct experience of God. REALLY!?!?!?!?!?!!

Yup. I have been talking with the fellow in a long series of discipleship sessions and so have a good idea of what's going on (and not) between him and the Lord.

By the way: All caps and exclamation points don't constitute an effective rebuttal of what I wrote. Incredulity, however strongly expressed, is not an argument but often the resort of one without an actual, legitimate argument.

You don't even follow up with what his next words to her were. Then YOU! go off and make up an entire scenario to support some claim that you believe he isn't sharing the gospel correctly! YOU!!!!!

??? The imaginary conversation I used in the OP had nothing directly to do with the fellow I mentioned at the beginning of the OP. The conversation was offered as an illustration of a point about the relational context within which evangelism is best done.

You make up an entire conversation of push back from a non-believer, but your way would have had the person licking the love of God right out of your hand.

Are you bored? You seem far too wound up about my OP. And so much of your...angst (suggested by your many exclamation points) actually has little to do with what I wrote.

Also, this is just a lot of rhetorical gymnastics here that you're using, imagining things about "my way" rather than dealing with what I wrote.

Yea, I think I got the meaning and intention of your OP. But I'm more than willing to listen to what your final point is, if that's not it.

This is just Strawman arguing.

Look, we should applaud anyone's effort to spread the gospel of salvation through Christ Jesus, the Lord.

I've never said otherwise.

If I had been teaching the class, and I don't know how this conversation got started, I would have likely followed up with asking the classmate how it went?

Given your responses to me in this thread, it's a very good thing you weren't teaching it. You seem to have a profound problem with taking in what a person is actually saying.

What was her response? Then, if he told me that she had brought up the kinds of complaints that you have made up in your mind, I'd likely tell him, "Well, you planted a seed. Someone may come along in the future and water it."

Uh huh. My OP wasn't about how to go back-and-forth with people in evangelism training.

Sure, we can all read "Share Jesus Without Fear" and a lot of Bill Bright's work on the matter. Sure, we can likely fine tune our approach, but we aren't all going to be Billy Grahams.

What does any of this have to do with my OP? Nothing, that I can see. Where did I suggest we all ought to be like Billy Graham? Where did I urge folks to read Bill Bright's book? Nowhere. So, what are you going on about here? Again, re-read my OP. It seems very clear that you didn't understand its point at all.

But the gospel is simple.

I never said it was complicated...

We are created beings and we have sinned against the one who created us. He has raised up one to take our place to receive the punishment of our sin. That one is the man Jesus who walked in Israel 2,000 years ago. He died, just as God's word told us that he would. He laid buried in a tomb for three days, just as he himself said that he would. God raised him from the dead and he spoke to/was seen by over 500 people living and breathing after his death. Can I share with you what that means for us?

Now, at this point they say no or yes. If they say no, well they are the ones that the seed fell on the pathway. Immediately trodden underfoot. Those are the people who just don't want to hear it. If they say yes, then you pray that the Holy Spirit gives you the words to speak and you plunge ahead with the full authority of God's word in expounding on the explanation of the gospel. No, we never attack for sin. Or in anyway try to make someone feel guilty for their sin. If they come to believe what you're about to tell them, that then becomes the job of the Holy Spirit. If they, after hearing your explanation still reject it as truth, then you can also consider that person as the example of the seed falling on the pathway.

Well, this is certainly one way to approach sharing the Gospel. I don't think it's a particularly good way, but it is a way, nonetheless.

It isn't my job to make the seed grow. Jesus was clear. That's the job of his Father, through the Spirit.

Yes, right. *Shrugs*

What does this mean? What does it look like, exactly? Was Jesus making a promise to every Christian in the verse you've cited, or was he speaking to certain people specifically?

It means what it says, reread it as I can not add anything else to that verse. It should always be the Holy Spirit that gives us what to speek to others.
Just as God gave to Jesus what to speak, so His Holy Spirit teaches us and gives us what to speak to others.

John 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
John 12:50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

No one can speak or give that which is above what the Holy Spirit, being the very Spirit of God, has taught us. So many add to and take away from the scriptures.

??? Oh? If you did mean to say it, you're effort to do so wasn't obvious...
Sorry you did not understand, but I am always clear in what I reply with.
The four Gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are their accounts of Christ in what they were taught while walking with Christ as they wrote what Jesus taught them.

Hi Tenchi
Well, show me from the Gospels where Christ gave a crystal clear, unveiled, full accounting of the Gospel prior to the cross.
You aren't really serious? Right?

I'm going to have to go with your wanting to see somewhere that Jesus sat down and counted off 1-2-3 this is the gospel all in one sitting. Ok, you're right. Jesus never discusses the gospel in his three year ministry. At least not clear enough that you understand it as the gospel that you believe to be the true gospel. And of course, why it would have to be before the cross isn't clear to me. What did I miss? Did millions of Jews have a come to Jesus moment the day after he was crucified?

BTW whether or not something is veiled or unveiled, especially as regards the word of God, is often to do with their spiritual condition before God. At least that's what Jesus seemed to have inferred about what Isaiah had written about them.

So, your position is that Jesus did not give a clear and concise presentation of the gospel (good news). And that's why there were so few Jewish believers after his three years of preaching to them.

Would that be a correct understanding of your response to me?

God bless,
Ted

You aren't really serious? Right?

I'm going to have to go with your wanting to see somewhere that Jesus sat down and counted off 1-2-3 this is the gospel all in one sitting. Ok, you're right. Jesus never discusses the gospel in his three year ministry. At least not clear enough that you understand it as the gospel that you believe to be the true gospel. And of course, why it would have to be before the cross isn't clear to me. What did I miss? Did millions of Jews have a come to Jesus moment the day after he was crucified?

My initial point was that Jesus purposefully didn't share the Gospel (as we understand it this side of his atoning work on the cross) because his main aim in coming to earth was to be the "Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world," not an evangelist. So, Jesus isn't a great example of sharing the Gospel, as you suggested.

So, your position is that Jesus did not give a clear and concise presentation of the gospel (good news). And that's why there were so few Jewish believers after his three years of preaching to them.

Would that be a correct understanding of your response to me?

No. Until Christ shed his blood and died for us all at Calvary, he was not the Savior, only the Savior-to-be. Prior to the cross, then, he could not have offered to anyone the spiritual regeneration that could only be theirs post-Calvary. And so, he didn't, giving instead just hints and oblique indicators of what he would do to reconcile sinners to their holy Maker.

Hey All,
Interesting discussion.
"Have you heard the Gospel?" This seems like a simple question to answer.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Jesus gives us the answer. We all know this. Why is it so hard to communicate this with others?

God loves you so much that He gave His only begotten Son. Anybody who believes in Him will not die, but have everlasting life.

That's the good news.

Will there be followup questions?
Probably, and we need to be prepared to answer them. The basics are simple.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Those verses will take you a long way in explaining the reason for the gospel or "good news."

Will they ask you a question to which you don't know the answer?

Maybe. Not knowing an answer isn't the end of the world. Find the answer and followup with the individual.

Finally, the best witness is not the words you say. It is how you conduct your life. Love God completely, and love your neighbor as you love yourself. Do this and people will see the difference.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

My initial point was that Jesus purposefully didn't share the Gospel
Jesus didn't share the Gospel as He is the Gospel message as He was very clear in who He was and still is before the cross and after the cross.

Where is your source for such a statement.

Jesus didn't share the Gospel as He is the Gospel message as He was very clear in who He was and still is before the cross and after the cross.

Where is your source for such a statement.
Tenchi, for_his_glory makes a good point. Jesus is the good news.

Luke 4:16-21 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Is this not a public proclamation, by Jesus, of who He was?

Isaiah 61:1-2 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

This is a universally accepted Messianic prophecy. Jesus was applying it to Himself in a public setting.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hey All,
Interesting discussion.
"Have you heard the Gospel?" This seems like a simple question to answer.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Jesus gives us the answer. We all know this. Why is it so hard to communicate this with others?

God loves you so much that He gave His only begotten Son. Anybody who believes in Him will not die, but have everlasting life.

That's the good news.

Will there be followup questions?
Probably, and we need to be prepared to answer them. The basics are simple.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Those verses will take you a long way in explaining the reason for the gospel or "good news."

Will they ask you a question to which you don't know the answer?

Maybe. Not knowing an answer isn't the end of the world. Find the answer and followup with the individual.

Finally, the best witness is not the words you say. It is how you conduct your life. Love God completely, and love your neighbor as you love yourself. Do this and people will see the difference.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

This all misses the point of my OP. What you've written isn't erroneous, though, as far as it goes.

Back