Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Study The importance of the Baptism

I don’t agree nor does the early church, born naturally born again spiritually to the life of grace

It don’t say: born of water and born again of the spirit.

But: born again by water AND the spirit!

See ez 36:25-27 Mk 16:16 Matt 28:19 acts 2:38

Baptismal regeneration is justification not salvation

The entrance is into the kingdom
Jn 3:5 cannot enter the kingdom
2 pet 1:11 kingdom
Eventually it leads to heaven Matt 24:13

Thks
Hey All,
Mr. Adams, I respectfully disagree.

"I don’t agree nor does the early church, born naturally born again spiritually to the life of grace

See ez 36:25-27 Mk 16:16 Matt 28:19 acts 2:38" Quote from Don Adams

Why would you quote Scripture that is not being used. I am referring to John 3.

John 3:2-5 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

So Nicodemus understood what Jesus said about water. How can you not when we have what he said right in front of us.
Please explain why what John said isn't what John meant?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hey All,
Mr. Adams, I respectfully disagree.

"I don’t agree nor does the early church, born naturally born again spiritually to the life of grace

See ez 36:25-27 Mk 16:16 Matt 28:19 acts 2:38" Quote from Don Adams

Why would you quote Scripture that is not being used. I am referring to John 3.

John 3:2-5 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

So Nicodemus understood what Jesus said about water. How can you not when we have what he said right in front of us.
Please explain why what John said isn't what John meant?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Jn 3:22 explains it very well!

22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.

Jn 4:1 when therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,

What has the apostolic church founded by Jesus Christ always believed and taught for 2000 yrs?

Baptismal regeneration!

Matt 28:19 commanded to teach the truth to all men so all men must be commanded to believe, as Matt 18:17 says he who refuses to hear the church….

Thanks

The Christian sacrament* of baptismal regeneration is required for the new covenant and salvation!

*this promise acts 2:38-39 is a sacred oath from God ez 36:25-27 and a sacred oath is a sacrament!

Initiation!!!

Faith & Baptism is the initiation of the new and eternal covenant!

You cannot enter on you’re own or by “faith alone”!

You cannot receive Christ or grace by “faith alone”!

“Accept Christ as you’re personal lord and savior” is fundamentalist tradition not found scripture!

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

2 pet 1: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Baptismal regeneration a new creation in Christ! 2 Cor 5:17

A sacrament is an oath! A sacred promise from God! Ez 36:25-27
Acts 2:38-39 (this promise)

No baptism no grace!
No union with God and His saints thru Christ the mediator!

A sacrament is an outward sign for all men including infants And a gift from God to help us see what he does inwardly and invisibly by his grace!

As grace Washes our souls in the merits of Jesus blood from original and personal sin, so the outward action of washing is visible!

without the outward action the inward action cannot take place!

Jn 3:5 Titus 3:5 water and washing
acts 22:16 wash away your sin!

Jn 3:5 Born again BY water and the spirit! Not by “faith alone”!

They did not go to Jerusalem and preach “accept Christ as you’re personal Lord and savior “

They went to the river (water) and they baptized! Jn 3:22

A covenant requires an outward sign of the inward action of grace!

Ez 36:25 I will sprinkle you with clean water and you shall be made white as snow.

Acts 22:16 washing away your sins.

Eph 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism.

1 pet 3:21 baptism saves you.

You cannot enter on you’re own or by faith alone! Jn 3:5

2 pet 1: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Heb 2:11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

Baptism!

God breathed life into Adam, gen 2:7 and we received this life from our fathers!

Christ breathed on the apostles our spiritual fathers, we receive the new covenant life of God’s grace from them thru faith & baptism! Jn 20:21-23 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38 eph 2

Born again! Born from above!

'The Father has set his seal' on Christ (John 6:27) and also seals us in him (cf. 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:23, 4:30). Because this seal indicates the indelible effect of the anointing with the Holy Spirit in the sacrament of Baptism,

Baptism indeed is the seal of eternal life." 87 The faithful Christian who I has "kept the seal" until the end, remaining faithful to the demands of his Baptism, will be able to depart this life "marked with the sign of faith," 88 with his baptismal faith, in expectation of the blessed vision of God - the consummation of faith - and in the hope of resurrection.

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

Sealed in the ark, sealed in the church the ark of salvation by God thru baptism!

Christ instituted the holy church to teach and sanctify all men unto eternal salvation. (repent and believe the gospel) with the institution of the sacraments to convey grace to sanctify souls!
Matt 28:19

Effects of faith & baptism!

Ez 36:25-27 washed in baptism, with a new heart and the Spirit
Jn 3:5 born again in baptism
Mk 16:16 faith & baptist
Acts 2:38 repentance & baptism
Acts 8:36-38 faith & baptism
Acts 22:16 baptism washes away sin
Rom 6:3 died with Christ
Col 2:12 risen with Christ
1 cor 12:13 baptized into the church
Gal 3:27 by baptism put on Christ
2 Tim 1:10 eph 2:1 and 5 brought to life
2 cor 5:17 new creation
Eph 1:13 eph 4:30 sealed by the Holy Spirit
Eph 4:5 one faith, one baptism
Eph 5:26 faith and baptism
Titus 3:5 baptismal regeneration
1 pet 1:2 washed in Christ’s blood
1 pet 2:9 the kingdom of light
1 pet 3:20-21 baptism saves us!

“Faith alone” accomplishes nothing!
1 cor 13:2 even all faith (alone) without charity avails NOTHING!!!

Faith and baptism!

Scripture says none of the things about “Faith alone”!

Only James 2:24 a man is justified by works and not by “faith alone”

2 Peter 1:11
For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

The Christian sacrament of baptism is the Initiation into the new covenant and must be ministered to you by the apostles!
If you think actual water is going to save you then you refute what it says in scripture that it is by hearing the word of God (living water) that by God's grace through faith that is Christ Jesus is what saves us. It doesn't matter how many scriptures you throw in here it all comes down to the hearing the word preached to you first.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. (water being living word as the word baptize is not in that verse)

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

(literal water would be a work as man boast of being dunked in water)

Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

John's baptism in water was symbolic of washing away of sin after one repented. Christ baptism for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

You believe how you want.

If you think actual water is going to save you then you refute what it says in scripture that it is by hearing the word of God (living water) that by God's grace through faith that is Christ Jesus is what saves us. It doesn't matter how many scriptures you throw in here it all comes down to the hearing the word preached to you first.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. (water being living word as the word baptize is not in that verse)

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

John's baptism in water was symbolic of washing away of sin after one repented. Christ baptism for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Not works, you can’t baptize yourself!

Works are not excluded as you think, works alone apart from Christ and deviod of grace are fruitless!

Matt 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

(Even if you have “faith alone”)!

But those who are in Christ and grace doing works of righteousness are His!

Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

(All Virtues not faith alone)

Not works, you can’t baptize yourself!

Works are not excluded as you think, works alone apart from Christ and deviod of grace are fruitless!

Matt 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

(Even if you have “faith alone”)!

But those who are in Christ and grace doing works of righteousness are His!

Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

(All Virtues not faith alone)
You have a good evening.

We Cannot believe whatever we want but that which is revealed by God and taught by Christ and his apostolic church being of one mind and one heart!

Christ replaces David as king! Lk 1:32-33

The new covenant replaces the mosaic covenant! Matt 21:43 heb 8:13 heb 8:6 heb 9:15
Gal 4 new Jerusalem / new creation
Mary mother of all those living in the new creation of Jesus Christ replaces eve as the mother of the living! Jn 19:26 rev 12:17

The new covenant church is the new Israel! Matt 21:43

The cross replaces the Star of David as the symbol of salvation!

Christ reformed the mosaic covenant into the new covenant
Heb 10:9

Promises!

The new covenant is based on God’s promises, sacred oath’s or sacraments!

Heb 7:21 For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec
(Oath = sacrament)

Hebrews 8:6
But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. Based on Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
One post at a time, that to much to respond to, plus what the point when you believe in another doctrine.
Man's traditional holidays (Sunday the 1st day as the Sabbath, Christmas, Easter and Halloween), but few are obeying God's Holy Days (Saturday the 7th day Sabbath, the Passover, Pentecost, etc...Leviticus 23:1-44). All of God's laws are still good and must be obeyed if we want eternal life. We might not be able to observe everything perfectly, but can fight a good fight. If we do this our prize awaits us at the end. "...if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments" (Matthew 19:17).

Jesus warned us that the road to salvation is straight and narrow and that only a few of us will find it. Many are traveling down the wrong road, which leads to destruction. This is because many of us have heard about salvation but few of us want to do what is necessary to get salvation (many are called but few are chosen). (Matthew 7:13, 14) Many contend that Jesus did it all and now all we have to do is have faith.

The bible says, we must not only be a hearer of the word, but a doer of the word also (James 1:21-22). DON'T FOOL YOURSELF! If we really have faith in Jesus our actions will prove it. If Jesus is our Lord then we will obey him. Even a child will obey a parent, by getting good grades in school, for the reward of a new bicycle. The child cannot earn money for the bicycle, but instead must act upon their faith to receive the free gift. We must do the same to receive eternal life. "FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD” (James 2:20).

Last edited:
One post at a time, that to much to respond to, plus what the point when you believe in another doctrine.
Man's traditional holidays (Sunday the 1st day as the Sabbath, Christmas, Easter and Halloween), but few are obeying God's Holy Days (Saturday the 7th day Sabbath, the Passover, Pentecost, etc...Leviticus 23:1-44). All of God's laws are still good and must be obeyed if we want eternal life. We might not be able to observe everything perfectly, but can fight a good fight. If we do this our prize awaits us at the end. "...if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments" (Matthew 19:17).

Jesus warned us that the road to salvation is straight and narrow and that only a few of us will find it. Many are traveling down the wrong road, which leads to destruction. This is because many of us have heard about salvation but few of us want to do what is necessary to get salvation (many are called but few are chosen). (Matthew 7:13, 14) Many contend that Jesus did it all and now all we have to do is have faith.

The bible says, we must not only be a hearer of the word, but a doer of the word also (James 1:21-22). DON'T FOOL YOURSELF! If we really have faith in Jesus our actions will prove it. If Jesus is our Lord then we will obey him. Even a child will obey a parent, by getting good grades in school, for the reward of a new bicycle. The child cannot earn money for the bicycle, but instead must act upon their faith to receive the free gift. We must do the same to receive eternal life. "FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD” (James 2:20).
Jewish practices pointed to the coming of Christ and the proclamation of the gospel, to continue in them would be to declare: “Christ has not come”and that is offensive to christ, and to pius ears!

1. 1 John 4:2
    Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the fleshis of God:
  2. 1 John 4:3
    And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the fleshis not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Jewish practices pointed to the coming of Christ and the proclamation of the gospel, to continue in them would be to declare: “Christ has not come”and that is offensive to christ, and to pius ears!

1. 1 John 4:2
    Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the fleshis of God:
  2. 1 John 4:3
    And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the fleshis not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

One must understand that there is twelve tribes of Israel who are still in captivity to this day. But those who call themselves Jewish are not Israelite, but are Edomites. I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan. (Rev. 2:9) The doctrine that you practice will not teach these things, but it's much much to learn the truth.

B
One must understand that there is twelve tribes of Israel who are still in captivity to this day. But those who call themselves Jewish are not Israelite, but are Edomites. I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan. (Rev. 2:9) The doctrine that you practice will not teach these things, but it's much much to learn the truth.

The new covenant replaces the mosaic covenant! Matt 21:43 heb 8:13 heb 8:6 heb 9:15
Mary mother of all those living in the new creation of Jesus Christ replaces eve as the mother of the living! Jn 19:26 rev 12:17

Prophecy of the new covenant and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. (The new covenant church) Jn 15:1-5 (the church is the new Jerusalem the kingdom) gal 4:26 (one church) Jn 10:16

Dan 2: 44 And in the days of these kings (Roman Caesars) shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.

Isaiah 2:2
And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

Micah 4:1
But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the Lord shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it.

Daniel 6:26
I make a decree, That in every dominion of my kingdom men tremble and fear before the God of Daniel: for he is the living God, and stedfast for ever, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed, and his dominion shall be even unto the end.

Daniel 7:14
And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

Daniel 7:18
But the saints of the most High shall take the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever.

Matt 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Lk 22:29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;

Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
(Sound like faith alone?)

Hey All,
Where is the requirement for fresh water? I mean we are not talking about dirty bath water. Do you mean a.lake or river as opposed to the ocean? I live in California. We have baptized in the Pacific Ocean from time to time in the summer months. Are you telling me the Catholic Church does not recognize baptism if it's done in ocean water? I have never heard such a thing.

Now:

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

How does this verse verify dunking a person three times? I don't see it.

Ephesians 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

What does this verse have to do with baptism?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Hope this helps

B

There's no need to continue this conversation, you not hearing nor listening to what I'm saying, plus David never had a star.

peace in Jesus name

Hope this helps
Hey All,
You believe Hebrews 10:22 is talking about real pure water? And you believe this is referring to river water?

Hebrews 10:21-22 And having an high priest over the house of God;
Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Because river water is not pure. It has microscopic bits of rock in it. Rivers erode their canals continuously. The only pure water is distilled water. So do you believe the writer meant actual distilled water?
Or is it possible the writer is using a euphemism referring to being cleansed from all unrighteousness?
You have no problem with the symbolism of our hearts being sprinkled. You know this is not an actual physical sprinkling. So why, then, would "our bodies washed with pure water" become a physical act?

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Pure water can cleanse us from all unrighteousness because of where it comes from:

Revelation 22:1
And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

That's the river in which to be baptized. Tell me it's this river and I can agree. But the writer of Hebrews is not referring to physical river water.

It looks like you are just pulling any verse out of the Bible, regardless of context and make it fit into your paradyme. Only you know if this is premeditative, or if it is some other reason.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Scripture Verses that contradict the “Bible is our ONLY AUTHORITY”!

Matt 5:14
Matt 6:33
Matt 13:11
Matt 18:17
Lk 1:4
Lk 10:16
Jn 8:32
Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21
Acts 1:8
Acts 2:42
Acts 8:26
Acts 8:31
Acts 18:25
Rom 10:15
1 cor 4:11
1 cor 11:23
1 thes 2:23
2 thes 2:2
2 thes 2:15
Col 2:7
Eph 4:5
Heb 13:7
Heb 13:17
1 Tim 3:15
1 Jn 1:3-5
1 Jn 4:6
2 Jn 1:12
Jude 1:3

How can it be said scripture is “sole authority” or the only source of truth or the rule of faith when scripture itself says we must hear the church Matt 18:17 the apostles are the light of the world Matt 5:14 we must hold the doctrine of the apostles acts 2:42 the church is the pillar and ground of truth 1 Tim 3:15

How can it be said scripture is “sole authority” or the only source of truth or the rule of faith when scripture itself says we must hear the church Matt 18:17 the apostles are the light of the world Matt 5:14 we must hold the doctrine of the apostles acts 2:42 the church is the pillar and ground of truth 1 Tim 3:15
Just a thought. In Matthew, chapter 5, Jesus wasn't speaking to His named 12 disciples only that later became apostles. He delivered His sermon not only to His disciples but also a multitude, which could have been made up of disciples, believers, and non-believers alike.

Hey All,
I told you before, Mr. Adams, that I am not going through a long list of verses. But because you picked out four, I can presume they are the best you have for your argument.

Let's check them out.

Matthew 18:17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

This is the church acting upon someone who is repeatedly found guilty of sin to the point that their Christianity is questioned.
Upon what authority do the church elders act?
God's.
How do they prove this authority?
The Bible.
Where,?

1 Corinthians 5:1-5 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.
For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Nothing else is needed. This is final authority.

Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Do you think we are actually lights?
Or is it a euphemism for the glory of God?
Where else in Scripture does it talk about this?

Genesis 1:3-4 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

This is the glory of God. Jesus is saying that God's light shines through His children and collectively we are God's light to this world. I don't need anything beyond the Bible to define the light, as spoken of here by Jesus.

Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Luke wrote Acts after he wrote his Gospel. The best guesstiment is between 50-90 AD.
If so, the apostles have all been martyred, or in the case of John, exiled by this time. In either case, he apostles were no longer speaking to them directly.
So what is the apostles' doctrine? Their Gospels and their letters. (There was no other doctrine that could be proven true. Remember, at even 90 AD there were probably only a few people still alive who saw Jesus when they were a child. More and more, however, the church was relying on the written Word of God as their judge of what was true.) The Bible is still our only reliable way to judge a person's words or deeds. The opinions of pasters, priests, and even the Pope can be wrong. The Bible is not wrong. It is the final authority. Nothing else is necessary.

1 Timothy 3:14-16 These things write I unto thee, hoping to come unto thee shortly:
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Paul is telling Timothy how to act as pastor over the house of God; of which, Paul defines as the church of God, of which is the pillar and ground of truth. These are three metaphors, house, church, and ground, that all mean the people who believe in God.
Jesus did not die for the sins of literal houses. (The pillar is Jesus.)
Believers are not literal buildings.
Believers are not literal marble or cement.
Throughout the Old Testament, pillars are used to represent loved ones who had passed away. It also represented God leading the children of Israel. So context will be needed to pick the right one. The Bible defines Jesus as the head of the church of God.

Ephesians 5:23
For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

A pillar is also used to describe the LORD in Exodus.

Exodus 13:21
And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:

So I feel comfortable in saying the pillar is Jesus. (Does anyone know why KJV capitalises all four letters of Lord here? If I remember correctly, there are no capital letters in Hebrew.)

What about the ground?

Matthew 13:3, 8-9, 23 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.
Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Jesus used the ground to represent the believer.

Matthew 13:3 23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

I have no reason to believe "ground" means anything other than the believer.

Why do I even have to explain this one? Who would confuse this as literal speach?
Paul even says that while this is a great mystery, it is not controversial.
So why are you making a controversy where Paul says none exist?

No other proof outside of the Bible is necessary. What is necessary is proper understanding.
How do we get this proper understanding?

2 Timothy 2:15-16 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

We have to make sure we are rightly dividin when we use Scripture. Amen? Amen.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hey All,
I told you before, Mr. Adams, that I am not going through a long list of verses. But because you picked out four, I can presume they are the best you have for your argument.

Let's check them out.

Matthew 18:17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

This is the church acting upon someone who is repeatedly found guilty of sin to the point that their Christianity is questioned.
Upon what authority do the church elders act?
God's.
How do they prove this authority?
The Bible.
Where,?

1 Corinthians 5:1-5 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.
For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Nothing else is needed. This is final authority.

Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Do you think we are actually lights?
Or is it a euphemism for the glory of God?
Where else in Scripture does it talk about this?

Genesis 1:3-4 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

This is the glory of God. Jesus is saying that God's light shines through His children and collectively we are God's light to this world. I don't need anything beyond the Bible to define the light, as spoken of here by Jesus.

Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Luke wrote Acts after he wrote his Gospel. The best guesstiment is between 50-90 AD.
If so, the apostles have all been martyred, or in the case of John, exiled by this time. In either case, he apostles were no longer speaking to them directly.
So what is the apostles' doctrine? Their Gospels and their letters. (There was no other doctrine that could be proven true. Remember, at even 90 AD there were probably only a few people still alive who saw Jesus when they were a child. More and more, however, the church was relying on the written Word of God as their judge of what was true.) The Bible is still our only reliable way to judge a person's words or deeds. The opinions of pasters, priests, and even the Pope can be wrong. The Bible is not wrong. It is the final authority. Nothing else is necessary.

1 Timothy 3:14-16 These things write I unto thee, hoping to come unto thee shortly:
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Paul is telling Timothy how to act as pastor over the house of God; of which, Paul defines as the church of God, of which is the pillar and ground of truth. These are three metaphors, house, church, and ground, that all mean the people who believe in God.
Jesus did not die for the sins of literal houses. (The pillar is Jesus.)
Believers are not literal buildings.
Believers are not literal marble or cement.
Throughout the Old Testament, pillars are used to represent loved ones who had passed away. It also represented God leading the children of Israel. So context will be needed to pick the right one. The Bible defines Jesus as the head of the church of God.

Ephesians 5:23
For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

A pillar is also used to describe the LORD in Exodus.

Exodus 13:21
And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:

So I feel comfortable in saying the pillar is Jesus. (Does anyone know why KJV capitalises all four letters of Lord here? If I remember correctly, there are no capital letters in Hebrew.)

What about the ground?

Matthew 13:3, 8-9, 23 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.
Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Jesus used the ground to represent the believer.

Matthew 13:3 23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

I have no reason to believe "ground" means anything other than the believer.

Why do I even have to explain this one? Who would confuse this as literal speach?
Paul even says that while this is a great mystery, it is not controversial.
So why are you making a controversy where Paul says none exist?

No other proof outside of the Bible is necessary. What is necessary is proper understanding.
How do we get this proper understanding?

2 Timothy 2:15-16 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

We have to make sure we are rightly dividin when we use Scripture. Amen? Amen.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
So don’t believe that the Bible is the only authority?

Light refers to truth not glory!

Apostles continue until christ returns!

Thks

Back