Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Lamborghini Revisited

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Rollo Tamasi

Warrior for Christ
I've decided that I want a Lamborghini.
Now all I have to do is come up with $475,000.00 and I can buy one.
I think it's perfectly legitimate for a Christian to own a Lamborghini.
I mean, after all, doesn't Bruce Jenner own one?
I think Joel Osteen might own one.
I don't know for sure.

But I'll tell you, put the money in my pocket and I'll own one.
I don't think it's unreasonable for a Christian to enjoy some of the finer things in life.

What do you think?

I've decided that I want a Lamborghini.
Now all I have to do is come up with $475,000.00 and I can buy one.
I think it's perfectly legitimate for a Christian to own a Lamborghini.
I mean, after all, doesn't Bruce Jenner own one?
I think Joel Osteen might own one.
I don't know for sure.

But I'll tell you, put the money in my pocket and I'll own one.
I don't think it's unreasonable for a Christian to enjoy some of the finer things in life.

What do you think?

Many people, perhapse most, would object to Christians owning such expensive cars, so let's start with the assumption that it is not acceptable for a Christian to own a $4750,000 car. Is it then acceptable for a Christian to won a $474,999 car? How about one that costs $474,998? O maybe it's okay if it "only" costs $474,997. I could keep going down $1 dollar at a time like this, but there's a limit to how long the post can be. Each person reading this can go down as far as he wants on his own. When do we reach the point where it is acceptable to own a car that cost's X dollars, but it is not acceptable to own a car that costs X+1 dollars? What is the dollar amount that says "That's too expensive for a Christian to own it"? Determining such a limit would be impossible.

But why even ask the question? Why do we think it's acceptable for a Christian to own one type of car but not another? Could it have anything to do with what kind of car we ourselves own? I haven't seen any actual surveys, but I suspect that the richer the Christian you ask, the more likely he is to say that it is acceptable for Christians to own expensive things. When you get right down to it, it really just boils down to "I don't want him to have something I can't afford". But why not? Doesn't each of us have something that somebody else can't afford?

God blesses His children to varying degrees. I don't know why He doesn't give us all the exact same amount, but I know His reasons are good and just. If He blesses someone more than me, then I should be happy for them.

The TOG​

There's nothing wrong with wanting the finer things of life, but just don't make those things your god. As long as we are following that of Matthew 25:34-40; 28:18-20 which needs to come first then we are putting God first above all else.

"sell all that you own and give the money to the poor" springs to mind. However, i'd be a hypocrite to say I have done that with what little we do own. But I do believe that living humbly doesn't involve driving a car that turns heads or inspires envy in the hearts of others, the same goes with housing and big boyz toyz. I really cannot reconcile a family of 4 residing in a 10 room house with all the trimmings simply for the sake of it. Especially when so many are homeless.

FTR, In my past I was probably considered very well off / maybe wealthy but the headaches that went with being in that position are thankfully gone since making a lifestyle change and ridding myself of so many luxuries.Both willingly and unwillingly.
Life is so much simpler and more satisfying without the toys.

Many people, perhapse most, would object to Christians owning such expensive cars, so let's start with the assumption that it is not acceptable for a Christian to own a $4750,000 car. Is it then acceptable for a Christian to won a $474,999 car? How about one that costs $474,998? O maybe it's okay if it "only" costs $474,997. I could keep going down $1 dollar at a time like this, but there's a limit to how long the post can be. Each person reading this can go down as far as he wants on his own. When do we reach the point where it is acceptable to own a car that cost's X dollars, but it is not acceptable to own a car that costs X+1 dollars? What is the dollar amount that says "That's too expensive for a Christian to own it"? Determining such a limit would be impossible.

But why even ask the question? Why do we think it's acceptable for a Christian to own one type of car but not another? Could it have anything to do with what kind of car we ourselves own? I haven't seen any actual surveys, but I suspect that the richer the Christian you ask, the more likely he is to say that it is acceptable for Christians to own expensive things. When you get right down to it, it really just boils down to "I don't want him to have something I can't afford". But why not? Doesn't each of us have something that somebody else can't afford?

God blesses His children to varying degrees. I don't know why He doesn't give us all the exact same amount, but I know His reasons are good and just. If He blesses someone more than me, then I should be happy for them.

The TOG​
I have this same sense of vagueness about tattoos and piercings that people do about how much car is too much car.

So let's start by putting fifty tattoos, and fifty piercings on your face. Then we'll start removing them one by one...

Last edited by a moderator:
"sell all that you own and give the money to the poor" springs to mind.
This comes to mind...

"8 If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content.9 But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction." (1 Timothy 6:8-9 NASB)

We see that what is wrong with riches and the finer things of life is coveting them. It's one thing to already have them because you have skills and abilities to earn them, or a rich family through which those thing come to you. But to not have them and long for them is what is wrong.

personally I think wealth is a snare but that level of wealth that is a snare is something only god can determine for each person.

I think that if you are a christian that has wealth, money will be a test (even continuously ) from God.
Job was very wealthy, and was tested by God. He lost everything, but after proving to the devil wrong, God gave him it all back and then some.

Suppose if someones got the cash and want one its perfectly fine, why not, then again, some mega rich people are more than happy driving a cheap car to get from A-B. Everyone to there own suppose.
But that rich person driving the cheap car may see it as self-justification.

I have an idea.
Everyone give me all your money and I'll go out and spend it all on myself.
Then we'll do some research to see if it has become a snare to me.

I have an idea.
Everyone give me all your money and I'll go out and spend it all on myself.
Then we'll do some research to see if it has become a snare to me.
Sadly, since we are so holy, we have nothing to give because we live such base, austere lives.

You might get a 3 speed bicycle out of us if you keep begging long enough.

Back