Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

The Law: Fulfilled or Abolished?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The Law Points Us to Christ

Scripture: Galatians 3:24

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

The Law of Moses was designed to show mankind his need for a Savior. We are not made righteous by the Law but by faith in Jesus Christ.

The law is still perfect and needed as a schoolmaster for those who do not understand the message of the cross.
So in your opinion, does the schoolmaster get fired, or do the students fulfill what they were taught by the schoolmaster? Or both?
Most people put their faith in their works, (self-effort & performance) wanting the glory. Your works will eventually drop you. It is very difficult for a person to believe something they have no knowledge of. Many Christians do not understand the message of the cross. They have made the cross ineffective in their life. To make the Cross void is to cancel out the Cross benefits to you.

Many claim the problem in the church is people trying to earn their own salvation. There was a day I would have agreed with that, but now I think the problem is the exact opposite extreme--people thinking the faith that justifies all by itself doesn't have to do anything...because it justifies all by itself, not knowing that the faith that justifies all by itself is the faith that changes a person into an ever-increasing obedient person, not a lazy disobedient person who changes the grace of God into a license to not take obedience seriously. The grace of God was given to us to make us obey, not given so we can disobey with impunity. But that is what so many people think in the church. :sad

So in the analogy of the schoolmaster, does the schoolmaster get laid off for the person who comes to Christ and no longer has to do what the schoolmaster instructed him/her to do?

Think of your third grade teacher. Does not being under her tutlage (Miss Vaughn in my case) mean I no longer have to do what she taught me to do? Or does it simply mean I am no longer under her insistence and drive to do what she taught me to do?
Are you a Believer who’s working diligently to fulfill the thousands of rules and regulations outlined in the Bible? You know, all the “thou shall†and “thou shall not†rules? If so, you’re probably exhausted and discouraged by now. You’ve probably realized you just can’t do it, even though you genuinely love God and desire to obey His Word.

If this scenario describes you, I’ve got good news for you today! You see, God never intended for you to follow a set of religious rules and laws that only lead to bondage. From the beginning, He intended for man to have a personal relationship with Him. In fact, the word “religion†was derived from a Latin word that means “a return to bondage.â€

It’s true that there was an old law or covenant (the Mosaic law), which contained well over 600 laws. Under this covenant, people were subject to punishment and bondage when they violated the Mosaic Law. Despite its stringent requirements, the old Law was holy, perfect, and flawless. The only flaw was man’s inability to keep all those laws! In fact, the Law still has a purpose today. It’s a schoolmaster for the ungodly. The Law tutors unbelievers, showing them why they’re sinners in need of a Savior (1 Timothy 1:7-10).

Today, however, Jesus is the mediator of a new covenant, one in which God swore by Himself to bless us! Through His sacrifice, we have been freed from the demands of the Law. Romans 10:4 (NLT) states, “For Christ has already accomplished the purpose for which the law was given. As a result, all who believe in him are made right with God.†We enjoy a new and better covenant under what the Bible refers to as the dispensation of grace (Ephesians 3:2). We have been declared righteous by faith, not by works. We are led by the Holy Spirit, not rules and laws (Galatians 5:18, AMP).

Under this new covenant, you’re also saved from God’s anger (Romans 5:9). You don’t have to fear His wrath when you sin, because Jesus took your punishment and made you right in God’s eyes. He freed you from sin’s power, so you don’t have to participate in immoral behavior (Colossians 3:12).

Because of Jesus, who is our high priest under the new covenant, God’s laws are now written in our minds and hearts. “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people†(Hebrews 8:10). The laws God wrote on our hearts include the law of faith, love, and the perfect law of liberty (James 1:25).

As Christians, your goal is to develop a relationship with Christ, not strengthen religion. So moving forward, remember this: The Law is obsolete for Believers today! Christ is the end of the Law! When you sin or miss the mark, you don’t fall from grace; you fall into grace! You’ve been liberated to walk in the freedom of the spirit, with no guilt or condemnation whatsoever! All your sins are forgiven; they have been put on the “Master’s Card!†All charges and allegations that were once leveled against you have been dropped! Case Dismissed!

“But now we have been released from the law, for we died to it and are no longer captive to its power. Now we can serve God, not in the od way of obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way of living in the Spirit†(Romans 7:6, NLT).

Most people put their faith in their works, (self-effort & performance) wanting the glory. Your works will eventually drop you. It is very difficult for a person to believe something they have no knowledge of. Many Christians do not understand the message of the cross. They have made the cross ineffective in their life. To make the Cross void is to cancel out the Cross benefits to you.

Many claim the problem in the church is people trying to earn their own salvation. There was a day I would have agreed with that, but now I think the problem is the exact opposite extreme--people thinking the faith that justifies all by itself doesn't have to do anything...because it justifies all by itself, not knowing that the faith that justifies all by itself is the faith that changes a person into an ever-increasing obedient person, not a lazy disobedient person who changes the grace of God into a license to not take obedience seriously. The grace of God was given to us to make us obey, not given so we can disobey with impunity. But that is what so many people think in the church. :sad

So in the analogy of the schoolmaster, does the schoolmaster get laid off for the person who comes to Christ and no longer has to do what the schoolmaster instructed him/her to do?

Think of your third grade teacher. Does not being under her tutlage (Miss Vaughn in my case) mean I no longer have to do what she taught me to do? Or does it simply mean I am no longer under her insistence and drive to do what she taught me to do?
Are you a Believer who’s working diligently to fulfill the thousands of rules and regulations outlined in the Bible? You know, all the “thou shall” and “thou shall not” rules?
Well I don't think there are thousands of those, lol, but yeah, I do want to 'keep' the 'rules'. Don't you?

If so, you’re probably exhausted and discouraged by now.
No. That happened BEFORE I got saved. That discouragement is what brought me to my proverbial knees and where God saved me.

You’ve probably realized you just can’t do it, even though you genuinely love God and desire to obey His Word.
No, the opposite happened after I got saved. I suddenly had power to now live a life of ever-increasing obedience to the things that I could not consistently or increasingly obey before I was born again.

If this scenario describes you, I’ve got good news for you today! You see, God never intended for you to follow a set of religious rules and laws that only lead to bondage.
How is it that when I want to, for example, be faithful to my marriage that puts me in bondage? How is wanting to please God because I love him and am grateful for his forgiveness (aka, by the Spirit) putting me in bondage?

From the beginning, He intended for man to have a personal relationship with Him. In fact, the word “religion” was derived from a Latin word that means “a return to bondage.”
Did you know James speaks of worthless religion and religion that is pure and faultless?

It’s true that there was an old law or covenant (the Mosaic law), which contained well over 600 laws. Under this covenant, people were subject to punishment and bondage when they violated the Mosaic Law. Despite its stringent requirements, the old Law was holy, perfect, and flawless. The only flaw was man’s inability to keep all those laws!
So what 'went away', the punishments for not doing right, or the requirements to do right? Some mistakenly think the requirements themselves 'went away'. But we see Paul and others plainly teaching obedience to the requirements the church is sure have 'gone away'.

In fact, the Law still has a purpose today. It’s a schoolmaster for the ungodly. The Law tutors unbelievers, showing them why they’re sinners in need of a Savior (1 Timothy 1:7-10).
How is it that the law is not an instruction manual for the righteous, too? Paul and others instruct the church about obediences found in the law of Moses, but so many insist it's not only not needed to know what the law says, but that it's actually the sin of self-righteousness to know what the law requires and then to do it.

The law that is for sinners is referring to the laws of atonement. Those outside of Christ are the ones who have to try to make a Mosaic system of animals, and grains, and human priests, and physical structures work salvation for them, not those who have fulfilled all those things completely and forever through faith in Christ.

Today, however, Jesus is the mediator of a new covenant, one in which God swore by Himself to bless us! Through His sacrifice, we have been freed from the demands of the Law.
...for justification. Don't misunderstand the argument. We have been freed from the demands of the law for the purpose of justification, not freed of the demands of the law (do not murder, do not steal...) themselves.

Romans 10:4 (NLT) states, “For Christ has already accomplished the purpose for which the law was given. As a result, all who believe in him are made right with God.” We enjoy a new and better covenant under what the Bible refers to as the dispensation of grace (Ephesians 3:2). We have been declared righteous by faith, not by works. We are led by the Holy Spirit, not rules and laws (Galatians 5:18, AMP).
And true that is. But how is it that not being declared righteous by doing works of the law somehow relieved me of the works of the law (do not covet, do not lie, etc...)?

Under this new covenant, you’re also saved from God’s anger (Romans 5:9). You don’t have to fear His wrath when you sin, because Jesus took your punishment and made you right in God’s eyes. He freed you from sin’s power, so you don’t have to participate in immoral behavior (Colossians 3:12).
True again. But how did this make the requirements of the law themselves 'go away'?

Because of Jesus, who is our high priest under the new covenant, God’s laws are now written in our minds and hearts. “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people” (Hebrews 8:10). The laws God wrote on our hearts include the law of faith, love, and the perfect law of liberty (James 1:25).
Right again. But how does this make the requirements of the law of Moses (do not dishonor mom and dad, do not serve false gods, etc.) 'go away'?

As Christians, your goal is to develop a relationship with Christ, not strengthen religion. So moving forward, remember this: The Law is obsolete for Believers today!
The WAY of law is obsolete today, not the requirements of the law itself. The requirements of the law are upheld in the new WAY of the Spirit, not the old way of mere written words. That is the proper argument. The WAY we serve the requirements of God has changed, not the requirements themselves.

Christ is the end of the Law! When you sin or miss the mark, you don’t fall from grace; you fall into grace! You’ve been liberated to walk in the freedom of the spirit, with no guilt or condemnation whatsoever! All your sins are forgiven; they have been put on the “Master’s Card!” All charges and allegations that were once leveled against you have been dropped! Case Dismissed!

“But now we have been released from the law, for we died to it and are no longer captive to its power. Now we can serve God, not in the old way of obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way of living in the Spirit” (Romans 7:6, NLT).
For sure. But how does all this mean that's it's self-righteous 'religion' to read written words in the Bible that say what is right to do and then want to do them? Don't you agree it's only that when my attempt at doing what is right is done with the intention of justifying myself that it amounts to the self-righteous 'religion' condemned by God? But why do so many people believe that simply reading the law and upholding it through my faith in Christ is categorically and without exception equivalent to trying to justify myself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul says in Romans that grace reigns through righteousness. (Not the law.)

(I'm thinking of Romans 5.21)

Blessings.

If this scenario describes you, I’ve got good news for you today! You see, God never intended for you to follow a set of religious rules and laws that only lead to bondage. From the beginning, He intended for man to have a personal relationship with Him. In fact, the word “religion” was derived from a Latin word that means “a return to bondage.”

Amen!

In fact, the word “religion†was derived from a Latin word that means “a return to bondage.â€

I hate it when people make up things to support their doctrines. Don't misunderstand me. I'm pretty sure you didn't make this up. You're just repeating what you've been told by others. But somebody made it up. Here's the real origin of the word "religion" from the Online Etymology Dictionary.

Online Etymology Dictionary Entry: Religion said:
c.1200, "state of life bound by monastic vows," also "conduct indicating a belief in a divine power," from Anglo-French religiun (11c.), Old French religion "piety, devotion; religious community," and directly from Latin religionem (nominative religio) "respect for what is sacred, reverence for the gods; conscientiousness, sense of right, moral obligation; fear of the gods; divine service, religious observance; a religion, a faith, a mode of worship, cult; sanctity, holiness," in Late Latin "monastic life" (5c.).

According to Cicero derived from relegere "go through again" (in reading or in thought), from re- "again" (see re-) + legere "read" (see lecture (n.)). However, popular etymology among the later ancients (Servius, Lactantius, Augustine) and the interpretation of many modern writers connects it with religare "to bind fast" (see rely), via notion of "place an obligation on," or "bond between humans and gods." In that case, the re- would be intensive. Another possible origin is religiens "careful," opposite of negligens. In English, meaning "particular system of faith" is recorded from c.1300; sense of "recognition of and allegiance in manner of life (perceived as justly due) to a higher, unseen power or powers" is from 1530s.

The part I put in bold is the meaning of the Latin word from which "religion" is most likely derived. It is also possible that it is derived from another word that meant "go through again". Even the "popular etymology" (what people thought who hadn't studied it) doesn't mean "return to bondage".
The TOG

Blessings.
Do you, or do you not, uphold the requirements of the law when you receive and walk in the grace of God? Yes, or no?

The requirement of God is obedience.

For it is written -

Man shall not live [have everlasting life] by bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.

That means the 10 commandments are made up of Gods law, but do not contain all of God's law.

God's Law says - Do not eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

God's law say's - Get out of your country, From your family And from your father's house, To a land that I will show you. I will make you a great nation; I will bless you And make your name great; And you shall be a blessing.

God's law says - You shall not have any gods before me.

God's law says' - go to a street called straight...

We uphold God's Law of obedience, when we repent and believe on His Son.

Everything that comes out of God's mouth is His Law, not just Moses Law.

Jesus obeyed every word that came out of God's mouth, that is what is considered righteousness, obedience to the voice of God.

That is why we have the Holy Spirit inside of us, to be led, not to keep some of Moses Laws, because that is all anyone can do is keep some of them.

JLB

The Law is obsolete for Believers today!

This is something I've never quite been able to figure out. Maybe I could understand it better if I could find a good analogy...

The traffic laws aren't for drivers, they're for people who don't have cars... No, that doesn't quite work.
American laws aren't for Americans, they're only for foreigners... No, that one doesn't work either.
The Scout law isn't for scouts, it's for people who aren't scouts... Nope.

I'm having a real problem with this. Can you think of an analogy to explain how God's laws aren't for God's people?
The TOG

Blessings.
Do you, or do you not, uphold the requirements of the law when you receive and walk in the grace of God? Yes, or no?

By God's grace, I walk by grace, in Christ, Who fulfilled the law's demands, but in Him I walk by grace, not by the law.

Reformed people who want to put me back under the law will find that I'm not at home when they knock on my door.

But how does all this mean that's it's self-righteous 'religion' to read written words in the Bible that say what is right to do and then want to do them?

It's not. You are still mentally arguing with Muller.

The truth is, a Spirit filled believer does not have to read what the Law of Moses says, in order to have the desire to do what is right.

That is the beauty of the Nature of Jesus Christ in you.

However, I do agree with you that the Church of Today tends to disregard any form of Law as legalism, and as a result have plunged head long into lawlessness, making the grace of God a license to sin.

The answer is not trying to keep the Law of Moses with all of the external rules and feast days, and Sabbath's, but to be filled with God's Spirit.

There are plenty of admonitions from the writers of the New testament for today's believer to heed, by just reading what the New Testament says, and applying it.

JLB

The truth is, a Spirit filled believer does not have to read what the Law of Moses says, in order to have the desire to do what is right.

That's rather like saying that you don't have to read the law to know what the speed limit is. That's not something you instinctively know. You have to either read it or be told, otherwise you won't know. It's the same with God's law. You may have a desire to do God's will, but you have to either read the law or be told what it says to know what it is that God's will is.
The TOG

That's rather like saying that you don't have to read the law to know what the speed limit is. That's not something you instinctively know. You have to either read it or be told, otherwise you won't know. It's the same with God's law. You may have a desire to do God's will, but you have to either read the law or be told what it says to know what it is that God's will is.
The TOG

That is why God sent His Son to make disciples and teach us what is righteous.

But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; Romans 3:21-22

Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law. Romans 3:28

JLB

Right, in order to HAVE THE DESIRE to do what is right...

The desire comes from the Holy Spirit at work in our lives, not from simply knowing what the requirements of God are, as was the way during the period of the old covenant. That desire, born of the Spirit within us, is to "uphold the law" (Romans 3:31 NIV), summed up in 'love your neighbor as yourself'.

Love is how we fulfill (keep, satisfy, etc.) the lawful requirements of God. What ended was the WAY of written words as the WAY to serve God. The requirements that we serve themselves (do not steal, do not covet, etc.) did not end. That is, as Mike Tyson would put it, ludicrisp.

Reformed people who want to put me back under the law will find that I'm not at home when they knock on my door.
The problem is people thinking 'do not steal' means you're trying to put them back under the law. How ridiculous.

Putting you back under law is telling you that 'do not steal', or 'do not commit adultery' is how you justify yourself in the eyes of God--IOW, earning your justification. That's what putting you back under the bondage of law means. Don't confuse that with simply knowing, and wanting to uphold, the requirements of God in the law of Moses by your faith in Christ.

You very well should be at home when 'do not steal', or 'do not covet' come a knockin' at your door.

The TOG

That is why God sent His Son to make disciples and teach us what is righteous.

But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; Romans 3:21-22

Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law. Romans 3:28

JLB
'Righteousness apart from law' means a declaration of righteousness gained apart from earning one by the effort of righteous (lawful) work.

Paul called it "not having a (declaration of) righteousness of my own that comes from (doing) the law, but (a declaration of righteousness) which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God" (Philippians 3:9 NIV), as opposed to a declaration of righteousness that comes from me and what I do.

The law is God's righteousness. Not the complete revelation and understanding of his righteousness. But that is NOT what Paul is talking about when he speaks of the 'righteousness that comes from God'. We know this because even the law comes from God and is the righteousness of God. So he's obviously talking about a declaration of righteous that comes from God (as opposed to coming from doing righteous work).

Love is how we fulfill (keep, satisfy, etc.) the lawful requirements of God.

Obedience is how we show our Love for God.

Jesus told the man He healed on the Sabbath to take up his bed and walk, which was an order to [technically] break the Law of Moses, but what was obedient to what God had led Him to do.

JLB

The problem is people thinking 'do not steal' means you're trying to put them back under the law. How ridiculous.

Putting you back under law is telling you that 'do not steal', or 'do not commit adultery' is how you justify yourself in the eyes of God--IOW, earning your justification. That's what putting you back under the bondage of law means. Don't confuse that with simply knowing, and wanting to uphold, the requirements of God in the law of Moses by your faith in Christ.

You very well should be at home when 'do not steal', or 'do not covet' come a knockin' at your door.
[MENTION=88699]Jethro Bodine[/MENTION]:

It was the righteousness of God which was imputed to me by faith, and in Christ I am under grace. It wasn't the obligation to go back under the Old Testament Jewish law that was supposedly pressed on me when I believed.

Paul was an Hebrew of the Hebrews and had sat at the feet of Gamaliel, but he was severely opposed to those who sought to impose circumcision - which implied going back under the law - upon New Testament Christians under grace.

(Let's not get distracted by what our respective notions of being 'ridiculous' might be.)

Blessings.

'Righteousness apart from law' means a declaration of righteousness gained apart from earning one by the effort of righteous (lawful) work.

Righteous work is the result of obeying God, and has nothing to do with Moses Law, which has vanished away and is no longer valid.

7 By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith. Hebrews 11:7

The righteousness of faith has nothing to do with the Law of Moses.

By obedience we uphold the law of faith, not the Law of Moses, Brother.

The Law of Faith and the righteousness that we are declared to have when we are obedient, is not from the Law of Moses, for the Law is not of faith.

Therefore, it is obedience that establishes the Law of Faith.

The requirements that we serve themselves (do not steal, do not covet, etc.) did not end. That is, as Mike Tyson would put it, ludicrisp.

The requirement is obedience, the Law of Moses has vanished away.

Jesus told the man He healed on the Sabbath to take up his bed and walk, which was an order to [technically] break the Law of Moses, but what was obedient to what God had led Him to do.

No, Jesus never told anyone to break the God's law (what you, and most others, call the Law of Moses). He told the man to break a man-made Pharisaic law.
The TOG

Paul was an Hebrew of the Hebrews and had sat at the feet of Gamaliel, but he was severely opposed to those who sought to impose circumcision - which implied going back under the law - upon New Testament Christians under grace.

Paul was opposed to those who taught that Gentiles needed to keep the law to be saved. He wasn't opposed to keeping the law out of obedience.
The TOG

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back