Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Living God?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This question came up recently, why is the God of the Bible known as ‘the Living God’? My first thought was, well, he is literally called ‘the Living God’ a few dozen times in scripture, so, there ya go. But that’s a little too obvious. So, I gave it some more thought, and this is what I came up with...

The God of the Bible is the God of life. That’s evident from the very beginning. The first chapter of Genesis is all about God creating a place where life can exist and as soon as it was ready, He made man in His own image and breathed life into him.

So, on the flipside of the coin, it would make sense that rejecting the living God, would naturally lead to death, and anything that was dead could not exist in the presence of the God of life.

This brought up another question that had popped in and out of my head over the years, why was death the punishment for eating an apple? Seems a little harsh. Of course, I’m referring to Adam and Eve and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

According to scripture (1 Timothy 2:14), Eve was deceived, disbelieved God’s Word and then disobeyed God’s Word. Adam was not deceived, he simply disobeyed God’s Word.

Genesis 3:3 ‘…God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.’
Genesis 3:4 ‘And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:’
Genesis 3:6 'And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.'

Considering that He is the God of life, and that all things were created by His Word (John 1:1-4), it would follow that not believing God’s Word and not obeying God’s Word would naturally result in death. Which is exactly what happened.

So, skipping past the sacrifices, life is in the blood, the necessity of Jesus substitutionary sacrifice on the cross, it can now be understood why our salvation is only by His grace, through faith in Him and obedience to His Word (Ephesians 2:8, Hebrews 11, James 2:26).

So, it's not so much that He is punishing us for disbelief or disobedience. Death is the natural consequence of rejecting life. It stands to reason, how can something that is dead exist in the presence of the Living God? It can't. Thus, the redemption plan.

What are your thoughts concerning this question?

This question came up recently, why is the God of the Bible known as ‘the Living God’?
All other gods are not alive. Like the golden calf the Israelites created at Mt. Sinai, all the pagan gods mentioned in Scripture were not real gods. The gods we idolize today like wealth, power, self, etc. are not real gods. It is also why the first of the 10 Commandments addresses having other gods before Him.

Only God Himself is alive, ergo, the one and only Living God.

6 Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel,
And his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts:
"I am the First and I am the Last;
Besides Me there is no God."

Isaiah 44:6 NKJV

4 "For Jacob My servant’s sake,
And Israel My elect,
I have even called you by your name;
I have named you, though you have not known Me.
5 I am the Lord, and there is no other;
There is no God besides Me.

I will gird you, though you have not known Me,
6 That they may know from the rising of the sun to its setting
That there is none besides Me."

Isaiah 45:4-6 NKJV

14 Thus says the Lord:
“The labor of Egypt and merchandise of Cush
And of the Sabeans, men of stature,
Shall come over to you, and they shall be yours;
They shall walk behind you,
They shall come over in chains;
And they shall bow down to you.
They will make supplication to you, saying, ‘Surely God is in you,
And there is no other;
There is no other God.’ ”

Isaiah 45:14 NKJV

18 For thus says the Lord,
Who created the heavens,
Who is God,
Who formed the earth and made it,
Who has established it,
Who did not create it [e]in vain,
Who formed it to be inhabited:
“I am the Lord, and there is no other."

Isaiah 45:18 NKJV

21 "Tell and bring forth your case;
Yes, let them take counsel together.
Who has declared this from ancient time?
Who has told it from that time?
Have not I, the Lord?
And there is no other God besides Me,
A just God and a Savior;
There is none besides Me.
22 Look to Me, and be saved,
All you ends of the earth!

For I am God, and there is no other."
Isaiah 45:21-22 NKJV

This question came up recently, why is the God of the Bible known as ‘the Living God’? My first thought was, well, he is literally called ‘the Living God’ a few dozen times in scripture, so, there ya go. But that’s a little too obvious. So, I gave it some more thought, and this is what I came up with...

The God of the Bible is the God of life. That’s evident from the very beginning. The first chapter of Genesis is all about God creating a place where life can exist and as soon as it was ready, He made man in His own image and breathed life into him.

So, on the flipside of the coin, it would make sense that rejecting the living God, would naturally lead to death, and anything that was dead could not exist in the presence of the God of life.

This brought up another question that had popped in and out of my head over the years, why was death the punishment for eating an apple? Seems a little harsh. Of course, I’m referring to Adam and Eve and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

According to scripture (1 Timothy 2:14), Eve was deceived, disbelieved God’s Word and then disobeyed God’s Word. Adam was not deceived, he simply disobeyed God’s Word.

Genesis 3:3 ‘…God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.’
Genesis 3:4 ‘And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:’
Genesis 3:6 'And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.'

Considering that He is the God of life, and that all things were created by His Word (John 1:1-4), it would follow that not believing God’s Word and not obeying God’s Word would naturally result in death. Which is exactly what happened.

So, skipping past the sacrifices, life is in the blood, the necessity of Jesus substitutionary sacrifice on the cross, it can now be understood why our salvation is only by His grace, through faith in Him and obedience to His Word (Ephesians 2:8, Hebrews 11, James 2:26).

So, it's not so much that He is punishing us for disbelief or disobedience. Death is the natural consequence of rejecting life. It stands to reason, how can something that is dead exist in the presence of the Living God? It can't. Thus, the redemption plan.

What are your thoughts concerning this question?
The Father of Jesus Christ is a living God because all the false gods don't "live".

God is the living God as in being Alpha and Omega. He has no beginning and no end as God is Spirit and a spirit can never die. John 4:24

God told both Adam and Eve to not eat the fruits of the tree of knowledge for if they did they would surely die. When both, by the lust of the eye and the deceit of Satan working through the serpent, choose to disobey God they surely did not die at that time, but became Spiritually dead to God losing that fellowship they had with them. This is why God cast them out of the garden of Eden.

According to Genesis 3:22-23,
22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

God drove them out of the garden so that we would not live in their sinful flesh forever. It was both merciful and required for His redemption plan.

Both Adam and Eve's spirit died that same day, when their 'eyes were opened'. That's when they lost their spiritual communion with God and were able to hide from Him. The Bible doesn't tell us about Eve, but Adam's flesh died when he was 930 years old. So, even according to 2 Peter 3:8, what God had told them is true, 'for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.'

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back