Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

The Meaning Of Justified

Just got out of hearing a message, as it would be, where the example was discussed of Peter falling back into the water after walking on it WITH Jesus. Does anybody think Peter was un-saved when he fell back into the water? Or rather, did his confidence (hope) wane a little?

29 He said, “Come.†So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind,[d] he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.†31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?†32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.â€

My point was and is that even in the struggles of our faith, we are not forsaken in those times we have doubts,

I totally agree.

However, it is where we are at the end of our life that is important.

It is the end of our faith that is the salvation of our soul.

JLB
That is the focus of our hope, but it is not setting up a standard by which we deny the slavation we have, it is not a scripture that would make us doubt the confidence of salvation we have but to give us confidence to walk our faith out unto the end.

Just got out of hearing a message, as it would be, where the example was discussed of Peter falling back into the water after walking on it WITH Jesus. Does anybody think Peter was un-saved when he fell back into the water? Or rather, did his confidence (hope) wane a little?

29 He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind,[d] he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”
Yea or how about the fact that HE DENIED Christ three times? But the Lord prayed for him as He does for us as our High Priest and makes intercession for us day and night. He is the Author and Finisher of our faith. Its by Faith in His strength that we stand.

The end of your faith is the salvation of your soul!
I agree with the above statement. But not with the following.
The hope of salvation comes at the end when Jesus Christ returns and we are resurrected.
Obviously we have hope, even now. And equally obvious is that our hope has different levels of strength and maturity (even in the Gospel) though that’s a shame really. Even day-to-day, hour-to-hour.

The balance of truth is found in the scriptures.
Humm? Truth, to me, is just plain truth. As in Jesus saying, I am… the truth. I agree that Scripture is the truth and my effort here in these OSAS posts is to find the truth about this doctrine via the Scriptures. What better way to do that, than ask someone that disagrees with this doctrine why they disagree and evaluate their Scriptural evidence. If there are Scriptures that say flat out you can lose your salvation. No problem. I’ll believe it. Better still would even be a (truly in context) Scriptural example of someone that the Bible said had everlasting life (was saved, or whatever term that it clearly uses to mean “savedâ€), then later lost their salvation (either by give-away or take-away). I may be pig-headed at times. But I don’t think I am to the point of not being convinced I’m wrong via the Scriptural evidence. But a Scripture that simply warns us not to be “shifting from the hope of the gospel†certainly is not it. Especially when Paul says what this warning is for “that we may present everyone mature in Christ.â€
But I appreciate you saying that Colossians 1 is a Scripture that you feel teaches OSAS=no.
The hope of the Gospel, is the hope of salvation.
I agree. But my point was/is that “the hope of the Gospel†is not the Gospel. It’s our hope in it. Our hope of salvation is not our salvation. It’s our hope in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

29 He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind,[d] he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

Peter's faith was for defying the physics of this world, not for salvation.

However, you know that, so what is your point?

Wouldn't it be better to stay with the scriptures that speak of the discussion at hand, rather than obscure the thread with a context that is not relevant?

JLB

I agree with the above statement. But not with the following.

The hope of salvation comes at the end when Jesus Christ returns and we are resurrected.

I think maybe you don't agree, because you have never heard it presented to you this way.

28 so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.

Him He will appear a second time for salvation!

What specifically takes place when He comes a second time?

The resurrection! There is no more hoping at the resurrection.

You will have obtained an immortal body that will never die.

The resurrection is the manifestation of the hope of your salvation.

as Paul writes -

19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable. 20 But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. 23 But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ's at His coming.

Obviously we have hope, even now. And equally obvious is that our hope has different levels of strength and maturity (even in the Gospel) though that’s a shame really. Even day-to-day, hour-to-hour.

It think you are confusing the mind, and it's ever present doubtful condition as the enemy wages his warfare against it.

Faith, on the other hand is found in the human heart where it was conceived through the Gospel message.

I agree. But my point was/is that “the hope of the Gospel†is not the Gospel. It’s our hope in it. Our hope of salvation is not our salvation. It’s our hope in it.

I never said it was.

The hope of the Gospel is the salvation of our soul.

The end of our faith is the salvation of our soul.

The end of our faith will be consummated at the resurrection, not before.

JLB

29 He said, “Come.†So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind,[d] he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.†31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?†32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.â€

Wouldn't it be better to stay with the scriptures that speak of the discussion at hand, rather than obscure the thread with a context that is not relevant?

JLB

let me get this right there is a faith that is "for defying physics" and then another kind of faith for being saved? Never heard that?:confused

JLB

let me get this right there is a faith that is "for defying physics" and then another kind of faith for being saved? Never heard that?:confused

Faith for moving mountains.

Faith for healing.

Faith to be forgiven sins.

Faith for salvation.

Faith for walking on water.

Faith is not a one time action, it is a life long process.

The end of your faith is the salvation of you soul.

as Paul said -

For this reason, when I could no longer endure it, I sent to know your faith, lest by some means the tempter had tempted you, and our labor might be in vain. 1 Thessalonians 3:5

and again -

31 And the Lord said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren." Luke 22:31

Paul made it clear -

23 if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister. Colossians 1:23

I find it hard to believe that anyone could doubt the meaning of what is being said in these scriptures.

JLB

Now, once we do accept it [Grace], it becomes effective to us. Very, very effective. That’s the point. Because God makes us alive, it’s much more effective than if we were in control of making ourselves alive.

To borrow a phrase that explains my position (which I happened to feel is the Biblical position) that explains the relationship of Grace to eternal salvation (eternal life); We are able to walk away from the offer, but not the deal.

We are able to reject God’s Grace (which is why I do not like the term Irresistible Grace) , but once we accept it we HAVE eternal life. God picks up the tab and then ensures the deal remains in effect.

Then, you DON'T believe we have free will after the "deal" has been accepted. This is the only way to read this. If not, please explain how God keeps us in "the deal" while we still retain the free will to break it. Either we retain free will or God FORCES us to remain in "the deal".

I asked you these questions in my last post:

Do you think our free will ends there [at initial justification]?

Do you think that after initial justification we have to STAY FAITHFUL by acts of our free will, in order to remain justified, or that God overrides our free will after we are saved in order to keep us "saved"?

Must we cooperate with God's Grace?

Could you please answer them?

That’s my main point and feedback to your OP. You seem to think “justified†means “savedâ€. They do not mean the same thing.

They are used interchangeably in some places, but let's assume you are right. For our discussion here what does it matter? In your opinion, can a person be saved and not justified, or justified and not saved? We are talking about either being "legally made righteous" or saved from sin. Both mean going to Heaven at death, correct? From now on I will ONLY use the word "justify", OK?

Nor does Grace mean “forcedâ€. Plainly the Bible (everywhere it uses the term Grace) speaks of it as a gift of God. Plainly as well, everywhere the Bible uses “justified†it does mean “shown…â€

No, you're mistaken. In James 2 we agree this is the meaning, but not EVERYWHERE. Here is the definition from Thayer's:

1) to render righteous or such he ought to be
2) to show, exhibit, evince, one to be righteous, such as he is and wishes himself to be considered
3) to declare, pronounce, one to be just, righteous, or such as he ought to be

There are two different definitions than to "show righteousness", in fact, the majority of the instances are "to declare" or "to render".

That’s not the same thing as “savedâ€. Grace is not the same thing as “made aliveâ€,either. Being made alive is the effect (outcome if you will) of Grace. Yet you seem to use all these terms interchangeably, as if they all mean the same thing.

I said: "If God (even while we were originally dead in our trespasses)made us alive by Christ’s grace… and you come back (in effect re-wording my statement )t

Now, both the first (initial justification) and second time around, we are"in our sins", correct? I mean, before we are justified…[/FONT][/SIZE]

I mean just think about that for a minute. “Before we are justifiedâ€. You mean like before we ever come out of the womb? As soon as we begin performing deeds (either good or bad) we start “justifyingâ€who we are. And that’s sinful fallen creatures.

Huh? We have been talking for three threads now about the word "justify" meaning "shown to be RIGHTEOUS" or "showing our TRUE FAITH". Didn't you agree with this definition of "justify" in James 2? You certainly don't think we are "showing true faith" every time we do any "deeds", BEFORE INITIAL JUSTIFICATION, do you?

And even once we are saved,we STILL have deeds that someone could use to justify us as un-saved on occasions. However, because we are God’s, we are still saved.

Now I used the term “made us alive by Christ’s graceâ€, that also is not the same thing as “initial justificationâ€. You are the one that rephrased my statement into something different that you go on to argue against with your FedEx employee example, assuming you can just replace "saved" with "justified".

You are all over the place in this post.

Can a person be justified, yes or no?

If you think this act is TOTALLY DIFFERENT than salvation, fine, let's just stick with justification.

When a person first becomes justified, what words would you use to describe this action? I use the words "initial justification". If you don't like those, choose your own. If it's NOT "made us alive", what words would you use?

My exact point can be made using your FedEx employee example. You’re right. We are justified to assume that person has FedEx training. However, we cannot extend that to knowing they are saved. After all, he could infact be an undercover 007 agent, dressed up and acting like a FedEx employee.

Again, huh? My point with the example of the Fedex guy is that OBSERVING is different from JUDGING. We can observe what's inside people without JUDGING them, just like we can OBSERVE if people HAVE TRUE FAITH without judging the state of their souls.

This is in response to your contention that James warns us AGAINST "passing judgement", therefore we can't know if someone is justified or not by their deeds, because that's "judging" them. This isn't about OSAS, but about whether our RECOGNIZING that a person is justified is the same as JUDGING him to be justified. I say "no". We can observe, by a person's actions, whether they are justified or not. This is what James is teaching. I think we agree.

James is not giving us a foolproof test for someone’s future salvation so much as he is simply saying someone that is saved, will not be sitting around doing nothing. Christians should (and will) act like Christians. James is telling us not to have dead works. Demons will act like demons,etc. But your OP argument assumes Justified means saved. It does not mean the exact same thing.

For example you say:

Excuse me, but Eph 2 never even uses the term “justifiedâ€. I still cannot figure out if you are doing this on purpose, or if you just honestly aren’t seeing there’s a difference in “justifiedâ€versus “savedâ€. But either way, that’s my basic feedback to your OP argument. You ask a couple of questions after this mischaracterization of Eph 2 and my points about it, that build upon that mischaracterization, so I feel it’s best just not to address them, since they are not my points or Eph’s points.

I know how I view salvation/justification, but I guess I've misunderstood your view. Please give me your definition of "justify", thanks.

I like your FedEx example, though. Let’s just say FedEx people looked like saved people and UPS people look like un-saved. James says you can (with the emphasis on human ability) justify that a person is saved, if they are driving a FedEx truck and you can justify people are un-saved if they are driving a brown truck. But what he’s not saying is God needs or has to look at the truck they are driving to tell if they are saved or not. God “looks†at the heart of people for their belief in Christ. Our actions are mostly sinful.

Then do you agree that either way, we are not JUDGING, but merely OBSERVING? If our actions are "mostly sinful", what does James mean by "I...will show you my faith"?

This [free-will choice in accepting God’s offer versus thwarting God’s will] seems contradictory, so could you please tell me how a person can have free will and yet not be able to “thwart God’s will�

That’s easy. It is God’s will that we choose him freely. He’s not made us as robots. But once we do accept His offer,the result IS eternal life for us. And He actually sustains that part of the deal. As Paul says, we all still continue to sin even though we are right in the middle of that deal. God’s great and able to give and sustain life, not us.

OK, then once we accept the "offer" we no longer have free will to reject the "deal"?

I asked in my last post:

"Do you think we can, by our own free will, cast ourselves out? Certainly God will never cast us out, but, in your opinion, do we have the ability, given us by God, to reject Him, even after we are justified? If you believe in free will, it seems consistent to believe that we can reject God if we choose, even after conversion."

Can you please respond to these points?

let me get this right there is a faith that is "for defying physics" and then another kind of faith for being saved? Never heard that?

It's the same faith. How strong is your faith? There's different levels of maturity so different levels of faith, and applications of it. Simple faith will save you, a mature faith will allow the Lord to heal or raise the dead through you. We have to be careful not to lose sight of the Lord in it however, and begin to have faith in faith, rather than in the Lord Himself.

Well I was not sure from the post I responded to, it seemed to seperate faith in some way that I had never heard? And I thank you for your concern for my "personal" faith and your advice, (to a minister of Christ) not sure how to respond lest I be accused of taking the thread away from the topic?

We never give up free will to be justified. We make choices everyday. The choice to trust in Jesus. Romans 5 explains it very well, and Ephesians 2 tells us how we are to live after we have accepted the gift of grace and we make the choice to trust in Jesus, understanding that it is not by our own merit, but by what Jesus has done. To knowingly reject the gift of grace is probably blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.
Well of course we give up our own will at least in part to Gods will, for no man is saved by his own will but by the will of God.

Joh 1:12
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Joh 1:13
Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Well of course we give up our own will at least in part to Gods will, for no man is saved by his own will but by the will of God.

That is not what he said!

The point he is making is: When you are saved and justified, you do not lose your free will to make choices.

You can choose to turn away from the faith.

JLB

Let's use Paul as an example -

1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. 1 Corinthians 9:27

Paul certainly did not assume to have arrived.

JLB

That is not what he said!

The point he is making is: When you are saved and justified, you do not lose your free will to make choices.

You can choose to turn away from the faith.

JLB
Well one does that by rejection of grace and turning back to law;

Gal 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. THE LAW IS NOT OF FAITH

The Christian life is not based on "free-will" but that one surrenders their own will at the Cross and walks in the "Will of the Spirit"

Only those who believe in "free-will" can reject faith, for it is those who walk in the will of the flesh that turn from faith, not those who believe one must die to self-will.

Let's use Paul as an example -

1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. 1 Corinthians 9:27

Paul certainly did not assume to have arrived.

JLB

Yes Paul crucified his "free-will" daily and walked in the will of the Spirit.

That is a choice that we make, everyday. When we are tempted, when we are in tribulation or so forth. We choose to trust in the Lord and to not succumb to the desires of the flesh.
Well we know that those who walk in the flesh, "free-will" cannot please God, No more than the pharisees who "thought" by their own will they could work righteouesness. The true biblical standard is not that one thinks they can serve God by their own "free-will" but that a man die to all self-will at the Cross. One must become weak to be made strong, and a fool to be made wise. The Cross declares that no man can has the ability by "free-will" to please God. Surrendered will is the biblical standard.

That is a choice that we make, everyday. When we are tempted, when we are in tribulation or so forth. We choose to trust in the Lord and to not succumb to the desires of the flesh.
Well we know that those who walk in the flesh, "free-will" cannot please God, No more than the pharisees who "thought" by their own will they could work righteouesness. The true biblical standard is not that one thinks they can serve God by their own "free-will" but that a man die to all self-will at the Cross. One must become weak to be made strong, and a fool to be made wise. The Cross declares that no man can has the ability by "free-will" to please God. Surrendered will is the biblical standard.

Yes, and by that same free will if one decides to "turn away" from Christ to "another Gospel" then that is their choice.

6 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, 7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ.

This is what Paul experienced first hand, and was so familiar with as He wrote the Church at Colossi;... if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister. Colossians 1:23

I know the Lord Jesus Himself, who was tempted on all sides as we were yet without sin, could have mercy on Peter when He prayed for Him as He knew the eternal consequences -

31 And the Lord said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren." Luke 22:31

24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. 26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Hebrews 10:24-27

JLB

I agree that Scripture is the truth and my effort here in these OSAS posts is to find the truth about this doctrine via the Scriptures.

Here's eternal security:

19 Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for (or, because) He who promised is faithful... (Hebrews 10:19-23 NASB)

Here's the warning for those who would step away from the security of faith in Christ:

"24 and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, 25 not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

26 For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and the fury of a fire which will consume the adversaries." (Hebrews 10:24-27 NASB)

Here's an elaboration of the warning to not abandon the security of faith in Christ (which has just been said subjects you to being consumed by fire as an adversary of God).

28 Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (Hebrews 10:28-31 NASB)

Here's the exhortation to, instead, keep doing what you were doing:

32 But remember the former days, when, after being enlightened, you endured a great conflict of sufferings, 33 partly by being made a public spectacle through reproaches and tribulations, and partly by becoming sharers with those who were so treated. 34 For you showed sympathy to the prisoners and accepted joyfully the seizure of your property, knowing that you have for yourselves a better possession and a lasting one. 35 Therefore, do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. 36 For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised.

37 For yet in a very little while,
He who is coming will come, and will not delay.
38 But My righteous one shall live by faith;
And if he shrinks back, My soul has no pleasure in him

(Hebrews 10:32-38 NASB)

Here's the final warning/ encouragement as to who you really are so you'll find encouragement to stay the course and avoid what the author says happens to those who reject the faith after they have been enlightened and come to repentance:

39 But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the preserving of the soul. (Hebrews 10:39 NASB)

The scriptures speak very plainly. This makes it really hard to accept OSAS doctrine. Based on this passage how can anyone walk away from the gospel of forgiveness and then expect to still be a friend of God? The passage says you will be burned up with the adversaries of God.

This isn't about honest doubt and struggle. This is about purposefully and willfully rejecting the gospel after you have received it and have been sanctified by it. This is not about one day waking up in the morning and realizing God has left you. That can not happen. What can happen (apparently) is we can leave God.

Faith in the surety of Christ's ministry on our behalf is the security of salvation. Take faith in his ministry out of the picture and you have nothing but an expectation of the judgment reserved for God's enemies.

It's very clear here that the condition for security in Christ is faith, an enduring faith...and one that can be seen in what it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that Scripture is the truth and my effort here in these OSAS posts is to find the truth about this doctrine via the Scriptures.

Here's eternal security:

19 Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, His flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for (or, because) He who promised is faithful... (Hebrews 10:19-23 NASB)

Here's the warning for those who would step away from the security of faith in Christ:

"24 and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, 25 not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

26 For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a terrifying expectation of judgment and the fury of a fire which will consume the adversaries." (Hebrews 10: NASB)

Here's an elaboration of the warning to not abandon the security of faith in Christ (which has just been said subjects you to being consumed as an adversary of God).

28 Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (Hebrews 10: NASB)

Here's the exhortation to, instead, keep doing what you were doing:

32 But remember the former days, when, after being enlightened, you endured a great conflict of sufferings, 33 partly by being made a public spectacle through reproaches and tribulations, and partly by becoming sharers with those who were so treated. 34 For you showed sympathy to the prisoners and accepted joyfully the seizure of your property, knowing that you have for yourselves a better possession and a lasting one. 35 Therefore, do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. 36 For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised.

37 For yet in a very little while,
He who is coming will come, and will not delay.
38 But My righteous one shall live by faith;
And if he shrinks back, My soul has no pleasure in him

(Hebrews 10:32-38 NASB)

Here's the final warning/ encouragement as to who you really are so you'll find encouragement to stay the course and avoid what the author says to those who reject the faith after they have been enlightened and come to repentance:

39 But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the preserving of the soul. (Hebrews 10:39 NASB)

The scriptures speak very plainly. This makes it really hard to accept OSAS doctrine.

Poor choice of the Word! It IS IMPOSSIBLE is the TRUTH!

--Elijah

It's very clear here that the condition for security in Christ is faith, an enduring faith...and one that can be seen in what it does.

Hence the phrase -

24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,

JLB

Back