Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The NIV

What Bible Is Best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Rollo Tamasi

Warrior for Christ
I managed to get a copy of my lost Bible, the Thompson Chain Reference NIV Large Print, 1984.
I'm back in business.
Most men at my prayer group use the King James, new or old, doesn't matter.
They call my NIV the "communist Bible".
I call it the "Nifty Intellectual Version".

I call their King James the Episcopalian Bible.

We have fun with each other, part of our fellowship.

I read there was a time when most protestants used the Geneva Bible.
I've never seen one or known anyone to use it today.

The NIV reads easy to understand English and I've never heard a debate that could convince me not to use it.
Everyone has their favorites.

What do you read and why?

KJ..
no other reason then habit... i do do some studying in the different version...
Dad went to heaven about 20 years ago and still often when i read KJ i hear his voice... habit and dad are my reasons
You forgot to vote.

I use the KJV for a couple reasons.

1) It is the most used bible, and makes it easier to witness to people who know part of a verse but not know where it's at. quoting me partof it makes it easy to find for them.

2) When it comes to comparing words or phrases, line upon line in a bible program, no other bible stays consistent like the KJV. It keeps the phrasing the same, like Latter rain for example. Other Bibles attempt to use better English words and they are at times, but the KJV makes it a lot more easy to compare scriptures.

I do have lots of other bibles I use also with the KJV, but for study purposes, the KJV is easy to read and compare things.

Mike.

I use the KJV for a couple reasons.

1) It is the most used bible, and makes it easier to witness to people who know part of a verse but not know where it's at. quoting me partof it makes it easy to find for them.

2) When it comes to comparing words or phrases, line upon line in a bible program, no other bible stays consistent like the KJV. It keeps the phrasing the same, like Latter rain for example. Other Bibles attempt to use better English words and they are at times, but the KJV makes it a lot more easy to compare scriptures.

I do have lots of other bibles I use also with the KJV, but for study purposes, the KJV is easy to read and compare things.

Mike.
That's amazing Mike.
King James is a foreign language to me.
Also, you forgot to vote.

images

I learned the Word of God initially with an NIV study Bible and cassette tapes (Stephen B. Stephens) in the late 80's early 90's when I got serious about my faith. But I have since moved on to several translation (even several interlinear Bibles). I favor the KJV because when I run into the King's English that I do not know, it forces me to dig more than I would ordinarily into dictionaries and lexicons.

The New Testament Greek family texts behind some of the versions (NIV, RSV to name a couple) favor the Alexandrian texts and you will see a lot of footnoted passages that cast doubt on traditional interpretations from the Sinaiticus Vaticanus text families. The Textus Receptus has its naysayers too... The Old Testament so closely aligns with the Hebrew Tanakh / Masoretic text even the liberal NIV, RSV deviates from it so rarely...

I like the precision of the Greek but the poignancy of the Hebrew (to the point of being terse).
(Hebrew) ...was evening was night first day.... booyah!
(Greek) ...I will send you another {of the same kind of} Helper...

The KJV actually sticks closer to the original texts and forces the reader to seek to understand it rather than spoon feeding the reader.

Just my opinion / preference.

All translations have difficulties and the KJV is quite old and its flaws are well known / documented. The New Infant Version(s), we are still finding the flaws in them. But as I said, I use nearly all of the popular ones in my posts.

Compare:

1 Corinthians 9:19–21 (AV)
19For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
20And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
21To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

Highlighted in blue is what is missing in the KJV:

1 Corinthians 9:19–21 (NIV84)
19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.
20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.
21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.

When I started, I was on the NCV--a simple, easy to read version. Perfect for me at that time. Teen Challenge gave me an NIV, a friend gave me a KJV w/ Pentecostal commentary.

My go-to is a New American Standard Bible .... but I also use an 1854 King James (family Bible....2 big volumes) ........ as well as an older, 1922 Moffatt translation.

Back