Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The possibility sins may be forgiven in the 'age to come' requires the existence of a "second chance" for the unsaved

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I apologize for the "Hopeless" comment.

You're doing what you think is right. One day, you will realize it requires more effort, not only to know what others say, but also how best to refute them. Amazon.com has books on informal logic and "Arguments".
Why does anything matter if we will get yet another chance at salvation after our deaths?
But thanks for the app/.

Why does anything matter if we will get yet another chance at salvation after our deaths?
But thanks for the app/.
Never "just missed" the bus to an important appointment, and wanted a "second chance" to catch it?

Never told the "last ticket was sold", and wanted a second chance to buy one?

Suppose you died in China 1 minute before Christ died. Then an angel named Hopeful says: "sorry Charlie, you missed your chance!"

Wouldn't you want a second chance to hear the gospel and believe it?

Sorry spell check
Two parts to sin
The offense (mercy on true repentance)
The punishment (justice /penance)
I'm still not getting your point. I reviewed the scriptures you cited, but you didn't explain the point they were making relevant to the OP.

Never "just missed" the bus to an important appointment, and wanted a "second chance" to catch it?
Not precisely in those words, but upon "missing it" realized I needed to get out of bed 30 minutes earlier.
Never told the "last ticket was sold", and wanted a second chance to buy one?
Wanted and received are two very different things.
Do you get everything you want?
Suppose you died in China 1 minute before Christ died. Then an angel named Hopeful says: "sorry Charlie, you missed your chance!"
I would know the angel was not from God, because OT folks had the atonements of the Law to deal with their sins.
Wouldn't you want a second chance to hear the gospel and believe it?
Hypothetically, my faith had been in God and the Law's atonements.
Sorta like Moses and David.

Are you not glorifying God for allowing you to hear the gospel of salvation early in your life?

I'm still not getting your point. I reviewed the scriptures you cited, but you didn't explain the point they were making relevant to the OP.
If we repent and implore mercy God grants mercy on true repentance, but the punishment due to sin or what we contract by sin must be satisfied either in this life thru penance (prayer, fasting, alms, suffering etc.) or in the next.
It’s is all according to grace merited by Christ

Example:

A father may forgive (mercy) his son for hitting a ball thru the window, but the son will have work and pay for the window. (Justice)

If we repent and implore mercy God grants mercy on true repentance, but the punishment due to sin or what we contract by sin must be satisfied either in this life thru penance (prayer, fasting, alms, suffering etc.) or in the next.
It’s is all according to grace merited by Christ

Example:

A father may forgive (mercy) his son for hitting a ball thru the window, but the son will have work and pay for the window. (Justice)
I cannot agree. We are saved by God's grace, not by paying for the sins we do.

Then behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you." (Matt. 9:2 NKJ)

When our heavenly Father forgives for breaking a window, He fixes the window.

Not precisely in those words, but upon "missing it" realized I needed to get out of bed 30 minutes earlier.

Wanted and received are two very different things.
Do you get everything you want?

I would know the angel was not from God, because OT folks had the atonements of the Law to deal with their sins.

Hypothetically, my faith had been in God and the Law's atonements.
Sorta like Moses and David.

Are you not glorifying God for allowing you to hear the gospel of salvation early in your life?
You still wanted a second chance for that bus. So would someone who didn't have the opportunity to believe in Christ, or were prevented from believing because of this fallen world. And God mercifully gives it to them.

You must be new at this, you say things Christians say when they don't know what the bible teaches. A good summary can be found here:

There are others, Shedd, Berkhof, Strong, Oehler etc. But Theissen just seemed easier to read.

These are considered "the standard" in Reformed Churches. You won't find my "second chance" idea in any of them. Not because its wrong, but its too late for me to convince them. They are now with our LORD Jesus.

Last edited:
You still wanted a second chance for that bus. So would someone who didn't have the opportunity to believe in Christ, or were prevented from believing because of this fallen world. And God mercifully gives it to them.
No man is denied the opportunity to hear of the Lord.
All of us were given a conscience on which we will be judged.
If a man wants to know God, God will not hide from him.
You must be new at this, you say things Christians say when they don't know what the bible teaches. A good summary can be found here:
Not at all new.
How long have you wanted to please the Lord Jesus Christ?
There are others, Shedd, Berkhof, Strong, Oehler etc. But Theissen just seemed easier to read.
These are considered "the standard" in Reformed Churches. You won't find my "second chance" idea in any of them. Not because its wrong, but its too late for me to convince them. They are now with our LORD Jesus.
Do any of them teach that we CAN BE free from sin?
Are any of them non-sinners?
That is the credential I need to believe "teachers".

No man is denied the opportunity to hear of the Lord.
All of us were given a conscience on which we will be judged.
If a man wants to know God, God will not hide from him.

Not at all new.
How long have you wanted to please the Lord Jesus Christ?

Do any of them teach that we CAN BE free from sin?
Are any of them non-sinners?
That is the credential I need to believe "teachers".
Reformed scholarship is the top shelf. Catholics, Orthodox, Protestants agree on the Holy Trinity and many other doctrines. I recall the late Walter Martin once putting the level of agreement at about 70%. You can't go wrong starting your education with Reformed Scholarship, and if you find later that you disagree with some of it (as I do), by then you have enough education to make your choices.

First thing a wise student of the Bible does, is close their mouth. Then they open their ears and eyes.

You could spend your time reinventing the wheel. But you could also use some of the wheels already made and build race cars. Its up to you how fast and far you progress into the truth.

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim. 2:15 NKJ)

Last edited:
I cannot agree. We are saved by God's grace, not by paying for the sins we do.

Then behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you." (Matt. 9:2 NKJ)

When our heavenly Father forgives for breaking a window, He fixes the window.
Really?

Matthew 5:26 truly, I say to you, you will never get out till you have paid the last penny.

1 Corinthians 3:11-15 For no other foundation can any one lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. [12] Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw – [13] each man's work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. [14] If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. [15] If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.

Matt 5:7
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

Luke 7:47
Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

Matt 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

1 Peter 4:8
And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

Reformed scholarship is the top shelf. Catholics, Orthodox, Protestants agree on the Holy Trinity and many other doctrines. I recall the late Walter Martin once putting the level of agreement at about 70%. You can't go wrong starting your education with Reformed Scholarship, and if you find later that you disagree with some of it (as I do), by then you have enough education to make your choices.

First thing a wise student of the Bible does, is close their mouth. Then they open their ears and eyes.

You could spend your time reinventing the wheel. But you could also use some of the wheels already made and build race cars. Its up to you how fast and far you progress into the truth.

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim. 2:15 NKJ)
By that answer, it is clear you know of none of their espousals of righteous sinlessness.
They seem to be wolves in sheeps clothing.

By that answer, it is clear you know of none of their espousals of righteous sinlessness.
They seem to be wolves in sheeps clothing.
A scripture came to mind as I read your reply:

But if anyone is ignorant, let him be ignorant. (1 Cor. 14:38 NKJ)

Really?

Matthew 5:26 truly, I say to you, you will never get out till you have paid the last penny.

1 Corinthians 3:11-15 For no other foundation can any one lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. [12] Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw – [13] each man's work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. [14] If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. [15] If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.

Matt 5:7
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

Luke 7:47
Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

Matt 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

1 Peter 4:8
And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
Yes, really:

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. (Eph. 2:4-10 NKJ)

Hopeful
How were these righteous? Lk 1:6
Zacharias and his wife Elisabeth were righteous by following the commandments and ordinances of the Lord.
Like Paul in Phil 3:6.
This would include offering the proper sacrifices for their sins.
That is how things were in the OT, when men couldn't cast off the flesh and walk in the Spirit.
We know now that the righteousness of the Law pales in comparison to true righteousness.

What is reformed scholarship?

Amazing Search technology, I'm amazed how easily answers to questions can be found. Who would have thought this could happen in America of all places!

Only a few years ago, we had to go to the public library! I recall doing that as a kid. It was up hill both ways, had to walk 10 miles with no shoes! 100 lbs (not kilos) of books on my back, trudging across the tundra, mile after mile, In search of St. Alfonso's Pancake Breakfast!

Last edited:
Back