Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Bible Study The Revelation, a verse by verse systematic study

Revelation 1:16...…….
"In his right hand he held seven stars, and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance."

"He held in His right hand seven stars".

The # seven (7) is the Bible number that represents COMPLETENESS. So then this verse means that HE made and controls the universe.

Colossians 1:16 is the confirmation..........
" For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him".

The Bible establishes that Jesus Christ is God: “For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body”.....
Colossians 2:9.

God the Father is the architect of creation. He determined to bring all things into existence. But Jesus, His Son, is the agent who brought God’s plans into living, breathing reality. “Through his creative imagination and power, the created order exists.
Source: ” (Melick, R., Philippians, Colossians, Philemon, Vol. 32, 1991, Broadman & Holman Pub., p. 217).

"Out of His mouth went a sharp two edged sword". I have debated more people about "Literalism" and "Symbolism" than I can remember.

This is a perfect example of "Symbolism". But then symbolism itself is rooted in the Scriptures as Literal expression and the problem comes when we do not study the Word of God to explain the reason why.

Does this verse mean that there is a literal sword protuding out of the mouth of God. That of course is silly is it not?

However, Scripture tells us that the sword represents HIS WORD.

Hebrews 4:12 says clearly that...........
"For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart".

God judges by His Word. God created by His Word. When God speaks the Word we all better sit up and take notes and pay attention because He means business.

"His countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength" means that we can not look upon and see the Creator who made the sun. It we think that the sun is bright and it is, how much more then is the One who made the sun?

This is the same apperance in Dan. 7:9, except in Daniel's vision it was God (Ancient of Days) himself who looked like that, seated in his wheeled fiery throne; here, however, it was the Son of Man who looks like that.

This is the same apperance in Dan. 7:9, except in Daniel's vision it was God (Ancient of Days) himself who looked like that, seated in his wheeled fiery throne; here, however, it was the Son of Man who looks like that.
Daniel 7:9 (ESV).......
"As I looked, thrones were placed, and the Ancient of Days took his seat; his clothing was white as snow, and the hair of his head like pure wool; his throne was fiery flames; its wheels were burning fire."

Without a doubt, a meaningful study of the Revelation show us that it is the "unveiling" of the book of Daniel.

Here in chapter 7, verse 9, Daniel's attention shifts from imagery on earth and the beasts he saw, to imagery in heaven. What he sees implies that God is judging these kingdoms. This is especially appropriate, as the dreamer's Hebrew name, Daniye'l, literally means "God is my judge."

The focus of this new vision is "the Ancient of Days." This is a reference to the Lord God, the Creator (Genesis 1:1; Psalm 90:2). This title is appropriate because God is eternal. Ezekiel also portrays God seated upon His throne in dazzling splendor (Ezekiel 1:26–28). Revelation chapter 4 also describes the Lord on His throne. Revelation 1:14 describes the glorified Son of God as having hair as white, like white wool.

We also know from Colossians 1:16 that Jesus is the agent of creation and as God He is the Ancient of Says.

John 1:1-2........
" The Word Became Flesh 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God.

In Daniel's dream, God's throne is made of flame with wheels of fire. It's hard to know exactly what it was Daniel was seeing—these words are his best effort to describe something that was likely impossible to capture in words. Fire is often used in Scripture to indicate judgment.

Ezekiel's vision also associated fire with God on His throne (Ezekiel 1:26–27), and Revelation 4:5 says, "From the throne came flashes of lightning…and before the throne were burning seven torches of fire."

It is likely that what was in view to Daniel and Ezekiel was the glory of God on HIs throne.

Thanks for the imput.

Revelation 1:17
"When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last."

We see that John is totally overwhelmed at the sight of the glorified God-Man. John was the "disciple that Jesus loved the most:. They lived together for over 3 years. They were close but notice that John di not run to Christ and hug Him or shake hands. He fell at His feet and worship.
A not of encouragment, PLEASE do allow yourself to be drawn into conflict or anger.
These are teachings I have been led to share over the years and I am not the final authority!!!!!

Please add to my comments as the Lord leads you and anyone who does or asks, we can discuss it.

Revelation 1:18.......
" I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death."

This confirms Colossians 1:16 where Paul says.........
""For by him (Christ)were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible".

This answers the question of some as to why Jesus Christ is the one who will judge. Because as the Creator, He and only He has the right legally to condemn and judge! I do not know about all of you, but I am one happy camper that it is Him and not me!!!!!

The Christian's death and resurrection are all in Christ's hands. In the gospels, each writer portrays Christ in a different. One is as an OX, MAN, A LION, AN EAGLE.

Here in Revelation 1, John, who claimed to be the favorite of Jesus, in verse 12 sees the glorified Lord Jesus as a JUDGE with all authority over all things.

Johns reaction in this vision is the same way that you and I will act when we see that same Jesus the Christ, vs 17........
"And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last".

Now to be totally honest, I wrote these words I am now posting for you all probably 40 years ago and when I wrote them then, I felt the very same way then as I do now. OVERWHELMED!

Revelation 1:19-20.........
"Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter; 20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks."

This tells us the KEY to the book itself and gives us the outline of what we are reading..

"The things which thou hast seen = Chapter #1...........Christ.
"The things which are" = Chapter 2-3..........Seven Churches.
"The things that will be hereafter = Chapter 4-22.......Tribulation & New Heavens.

There is another "KEY" that will help our understanding. Revelation 1:1.......
"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John".

1:10 gives us an insight into what I am going to say............
"I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet".

If we were to go forward in time to the year 4000 and look at "things" and then write down what we saw, we would only be able to say what we saw in 1985 language and terminology. We could SEE and write down things but we would not really know what it was that we were seeing.

That is the same thing that happened to John. The Revelation is written in "WORD PICTURES"!

Pictures usually give us more than words do and that is why it is said......"A PICTURE is worth a 1000 words".

Allow me to illustrate. If you read about the Civil War, it is horrendous. However, if you go to Gettysburg Pa. and visit the Welcome Center and go through the Wall Mural painted in 360 degrees, the PICTURES immediately describe the horror of that war without one word being said and it will actually make you sick when you realize that there was probably at least ONE of your family members pictured in that painting.

This ends chapter one and some will argue that the Revelation has no "chronological order " to it, however I would argue that the book has Chronologic order to it and what we are seeing in chapter is the PAST to us today but the PRESENT to John 2000 years ago.

If you are blessed by this information, I will wait till Monday and see how it is received.

I will try and respond to any questions you ask!

Back