Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Sabbath is Saturday

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Deshong

I can not believe there is so much I don't know about God's word because of man's traditions and Satan is definitely the culprit behind it all. So almost everything I have learned from church is false. So now I am on a mission to seek the truth before it is too late because I most certainly do not want to suffer God's wrath because of my ignorance.

So tomorrow is the Sabbath for me, I'm completely unprepared but so excited to obey God's commands. :biggrin

So rules are:

Deut 5:13 (NKJV) Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 14 but the seventh day [is] the Sabbath of Yahweh your Elohim. [In] [it] you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your ox, nor your donkey, nor any of your cattle, nor your stranger who [is] within your gates, that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you.

Nehe 13:15 (NKJV) In those days I saw [people] in Judah treading wine presses on the Sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and loading donkeys with wine, grapes, figs, and all [kinds] [of] burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the Sabbath day. And I warned [them] about the day on which they were selling provisions. 16 Men of Tyre dwelt there also, who brought in fish and all kinds of goods, and sold [them] on the Sabbath to the children of Judah, and in Jerusalem. 17 Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said to them, "What evil thing [is] this that you do, by which you profane the Sabbath day? 18 "Did not your fathers do thus, and did not our Elohim bring all this disaster on us and on this city? Yet you bring added wrath on Israel by profaning the Sabbath."

Isai 58:13 "If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath, [From] doing your pleasure on My holy day, And call the Sabbath a delight, The holy [day] of Yahweh honorable, And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways, Nor finding your own pleasure, Nor speaking [your] [own] words, 14 Then you shall delight yourself in Yahweh; And I will cause you to ride on the high hills of the earth, And feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father. The mouth of Yahweh has spoken."

Exod 16:23 (NKJV) Then he said to them, "This [is] [what] Yahweh has said: `Tomorrow [is] a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to Yahweh. Bake what you will bake [today], and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.' "

"Yahweh expects us to keep the Sabbath day holy. But it is always ok to do good on the Sabbath day and clearly Yahushua and the disciples did not have time to prepare for the Sabbath because they were doing Yahweh's work. So if we have to do a little work on the Sabbath or cause another to do a little work on the Sabbath for Yahweh's purpose then this is not breaking the Sabbath. Of course one could take this to the extreme as well and say that it is impossible for them to refrain from going to work on the Sabbath or they would be fired and then not have any food. This is ridiculous. Yahweh will provide for us. We needn't be concerned about our food if we are obeying His Sabbath.
So, in summary we can see that Yahweh wants us to keep His Sabbath Holy by not working, buying, selling, causing others to work for us, speaking idle or vain words or doing our own pleasures on the Sabbath. There are only exceptions if we are fulfilling Yahweh's purpose for something. And this I leave to one's own heart for only Yahweh knows our heart. To add a bunch of laws to try and apply to specific situations is legalism. And this is what the scribes and Pharisees were practicing. Yahushua clearly taught against that."

http://www.eliyah.com/sabhow2.htm

The greatest TRUTH that I learned today is: It is the Sabbath that separates God's children from Satan's followers. So when the beast will finally appear (The last revival of the Holy Roman Empire) it will be their target to ban that commandment of God and whosoever disobeys will be put to death. Also for not worshiping on Sunday which has nothing to do with the Sabbath, nor does the pagan holidays such as New Year's, Christmas, Easter, etc have anything to do with God's word.

http://rcg.org/books/wowitbor.html

I am happy to hear you have found the beauty and shalom of observing the biblical Sabbath. Word of thought though, you and I are few and far between here, so be prepared for a bit of a backlash.

1 Peter 3:14-16
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
14 But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. And do not fear their intimidation, and do not be troubled, 15 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; 16 and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame.

Deshong,

I am happy for you! Have you read about the Bereans? You can find them in Acts 17. They were are group found in Greece that Paul visited. In verse 11 it states that as Paul preached, they searched the scriptures to see if the things Paul was saying were so. It's a good lesson to be learned. When you hear preaching from a preacher or website, it is a good idea to search the scriptures for accuracy.

Best to you!

I'm not much into the internet debating thing anymore, so I'm not going to go around and around on this, but I'd like to post some of my views on this.

First, note that the early disciples gathered together on Sunday to break bread and to hear the ministration of the word. Consider:

Acts 20:7 KJV said:
And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

Also consider Matthew 28:1 in the Greek, which begins the account of when the women went to the empty tomb:

It is the Sabbath that separates God's children from Satan's followers.
is way off base. The thing that separates God's children from Satan's followers is whom they serve as King. Jesus rose on the first day of the week, and his early followers, after the resurrection, worshiped on the first day of the week, so that's the example I will choose to follow. However, I don't think that those who disagree with me are automatically serving Satan.

Thanks for considering my input and may God Bless you whenever you worship him. (which should be every day, anyway) :)

Deshong, are you a messianic Jew? I have a friend who is a messianic rabbi, and I know he and his church practice some of the old testament Jewish law as well as Christian principles. I think the main difference is they practice the Jewish law voluntarily and do not consider following the law to be what saves them.

I personally have no problem with someone such as you or my rabbi friend worshiping on Saturday instead of Sunday, and even following other aspects of old testament Jewish law when they do that out of respect and reverence for G-d. I'm not sure how much of what you posted above is your own thoughts and how much you simply cut and pasted from a web site, but it appears the last paragraph is your own thoughts. I guess I (and I know for a fact my rabbi friend would agree because we've talked about this in the past) I would caution you against judging and condemning those of us who go to church on Sunday (or who celebrate Jesus' birth and resurrection) as "Satan's followers". Worship on Sunday has been practiced since the very early Christian churches were established, even while the apostles were still alive and teaching. If this were wrong, surely the apostles would have corrected it as they corrected many other wrongdoings at the time. Yet they don't mention a word of correction anywhere in the new testament about worshiping G-d on Sunday.

So while I don't believe there is anything wrong with voluntarily practicing the sabbath or following many (but not all) of the other old testament ways if a person wants to do this out of reverence for G-d, I seriously have to take issue with your contention that those of us who do not do it your way are following Satan. This is an extremely wrong and extremely judgmental statement. What separates saved Christians from "Satan's followers" is belief and acceptance of the fact that Jesus was God's son, the messiah, and that he paid for our sins with his death on the cross, not following the old testament law. The day of the week we worship Him is irrelevant in new testament times.

In any event, I think the line in the last paragraph that says
is way off base. The thing that separates God's children from Satan's followers is whom they serve as King. Jesus rose on the first day of the week, and his early followers, after the resurrection, worshiped on the first day of the week, so that's the example I will choose to follow. However, I don't think that those who disagree with me are automatically serving Satan.

Thanks for considering my input and may God Bless you whenever you worship him. (which should be every day, anyway) :)

Greetings Spec! We've not spoken much even though we share so many things. May I invite you to consider the "rest" of the Sabbath with the understanding that the Holy Spirit is our rest? This is how I personally understand the word as I seek the deepest meaning of the mysteries found there. I'm like you though and will not contend about mysteries revealed as they are also concealed --all for good reason.

Cordially,
Sparrow

May I invite you to consider the "rest" of the Sabbath with the understanding that the Holy Spirit is our rest?

Well, of course you may! :) This kind of reminds me of Romans 14:5,6 which also addresses the OP's contentions about Easter, Christmas, etc. Of course unpacking the meaning of the sabbath and the rest of the sabbath is a lot deeper than which day we worship :)
Romans 14: 5 said:
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
. I guess I (and I know for a fact my rabbi friend would agree because we've talked about this in the past) I would caution you against judging and condemning those of us who go to church on Sunday (or who celebrate Jesus' birth and resurrection) as "Satan's followers".
Absolutely agree and that made me cringe as well. Although I agree with the OP about the Sabbath, we are in no position to make such statements. My view is how can we convince our Christian brothers and sisters the peacefulness of the Lord's Sabbath as practiced by Jesus if we are condemning them? Last time I heard, you catch more bees with honey then vinegar.

Disagree with me you may, but there is nothing wrong with praising The Lord on any day of the week. It's just the 7th day he set apart from creation to rest. There has been no unsanctifying (new word?), and sanctifying a new day, or every day for that matter.

http://www.letusreason.org/7thAd9.htm

Click on the link above. Christians are under the New Covenant which is found in the New Testament.

THE SABBATH IN THE NEW TESTAMENT

In the New Testament epistles there are only 2 references to the Sabbath (Col.2:16; Heb.4:4), both these passages the apostle Paul clearly explains that this day is not a required day to be observed by Christians. To the Hebrews in the Old Covenant they were under obligation, in the New Covenant neither Jews nor Gentiles are. There is no command after the death and resurrection for the Church to keep the Sabbath as an obligation to Christ.

Please read the rest by going to the link above.

Hi, Im new here so hello to everyone.
I struggled with which day was the one for a number of years and have personally come to , my own conclusion, that I worship on Sunday. I don't however condemn anyone for choosing to do so on any particular day be it Saturday, Sunday or any other day, as long as they recognise A day to set aside to think about and read and pray to God. My choice for Sunday is that the people I know and get together with do so on Sunday. I once did so on Saturday and don't think I did anything wrong although a minister told me I had been fooled by Satan which I don't believe was so.
God respects our setting aside A day for Him and as I don't see anywhere where It clearly states in the Bible which day was the ONE I don't see its an issue in the big scheme of things. I see where they met on Saturdays and I see evidence of them doing so on Sunday. It makes me wonder, for Sunday worshippers, is there no-one who worships on a Saturday that is saved because they do so, for Saturday worshippers, is there no-one who worships on a Sunday that is saved? I believe its more about how we personally act as Christians from both within, to God, and to those outside that is the real issue. That's what I believe, and I know I am far from perfect, will be one day though.

Welcome to the forum Free Christian! :wave

Here's a couple quotes from a brother that I respect. Sounds like you guys agree!

Cordially,
Sparrowhawke

I'm not much into the internet debating thing anymore, so I'm not going to go around and around on this, but I'd like to post some of my views on this.

First, note that the early disciples gathered together on Sunday to break bread and to hear the ministration of the word. Consider:

And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

Also consider Matthew 28:1 in the Greek, which begins the account of when the women went to the empty tomb:

May I invite you to consider the "rest" of the Sabbath with the understanding that the Holy Spirit is our rest?

Well, of course you may! :) This kind of reminds me of Romans 14:5,6 which also addresses the OP's contentions about Easter, Christmas, etc. Of course unpacking the meaning of the sabbath and the rest of the sabbath is a lot deeper than which day we worship :)
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Number 4 of the Ten Commandments

Exodus 20:8 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the "seventh day" (Sunday is the 1st and Saturday is the 7th) is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all this is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

These are God's words not mine.

He will never lie to me or lead me astray, everything I need to know is in the Bible, not man's mouth which is often times full of smoke. Some who knows this and some who are unaware of it because it is what they truly believe, however is it really God's way or Satan's? Remember Satan is very clever at deceiving and if been given the opportunity of 7 years instead of 5 months he would deceive the whole world even the elect. Don't underestimate your enemy. In the end times many will believe they are following God but are really following Satan and they will do the work of Satan and receive his mark. It's all in Revelations and is a warning to us from God Himself. Oh and Satan is here spiritually deceiving many right now, including Christians. Anyone and everyone who doesn't have the seal of God. May God reveal the truth to all who listens to Him. But remember God will send you strong delusions to believe Satan lies if one doesn't care to know the truth of God, which is His word, which is the Bible. Also God warns if you are not in a church that teaches what Smyrna or Philadelphia does, then you my friend have been had and deceived by Satan. Revelations chapter 2 and 3.

2 Thessalonians 2:9-12 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteous.

Again, these are God's words, not mine. Although Paul written it, but one must realize every single word in the Bible is inspired by God Himself or at times actually spoken by God Himself.

I am not sure if everyone's calendar portrays the seventh day as Saturday but if not I am going to quote this:

"Over 100 languages on earth use the word “Sabbath” for Saturday. For example, the Spanish word for Saturday is “Sabado,” meaning Sabbath. What does this prove? It proves that when those languages originated long ago, Saturday was recognized as the Sabbath day and was incorporated into the very name of the day."

http://www.amazingfacts.org/news-and...venth-day.aspx

Edit:

Exodus 31:13-17 Speak also to the children of Israel saying: Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a "SIGN" between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you. You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, "HOLY" to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout generations as a perpetual "COVENANT". It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel "FOREVER", for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.

Again God speaks for Himself. If people want to be deceived by Satan, then hey let them, they have been warned by God so...see ya wouldn't want to be ya. :wave

Last edited by a moderator:
Some quotation truncated:

Sparrow's EDIT: Moderator's Reply omitted here for the sake of brevity and readability

In any event, I think the line in the last paragraph that says:

Thanks for considering my input and may God Bless you whenever you worship him. (which should be every day, anyway) :) [Sparrow: emphasis mine]

These are God's words not mine.

He will never lie to me or lead me astray, everything I need to know is in the Bible, not man's mouth which is often times full of smoke. Some who knows this and some who are unaware of it because it is what they truly believe, however is it really God's way or Satan's? Remember Satan is very clever...

... Oh and Satan is here spiritually deceiving many right now, including Christians....

Sparrow's EDIT: Reference to 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12 omitted here for the sake of brevity and readability
Again, these are God's words, not mine. Although Paul written it, but one must realize every single word in the Bible is inspired by God Himself or at times actually spoken by God Himself.
Sparrow's EDIT: Reference to Exodus 31:13-17 and AmazingFacts online article about Calendars omitted here for the sake of brevity and readability
Again God speaks for Himself. If people want to be deceived by Satan, then hey let them, they have been warned by God so...see ya wouldn't want to be ya. :wave
[MENTION=96232]Deshong[/MENTION], you appear to have contradicted yourself when you say, "Thanks for considering my input and may God Bless you whenever you worship him. (which should be every day, anyway))

And you follow that with, "If people want to be deceived by Satan, then hey let them, they have been warned by God so...see ya wouldn't want to be ya.

:confused I am confused because while quoting the Moderator who spoke to you, you neglected to quote what you and he seem to agree is God's word, spoken through Paul, and quoted by both myself and by our brother who is NOT deceived and NOT serving Satan:

:grumpy I would like to give you an opportunity to clear up any misunderstanding that may remain and would ask you to do so promptly. It appears that out of the same mouth pours forth both blessing and cursing.

~Sparrowhawke
Moderator assigned to General Talk forum

"Yahweh expects us to keep the Sabbath day holy...........Also for not worshiping on Sunday which has nothing to do with the Sabbath, nor does the pagan holidays such as New Year's, Christmas, Easter, etc have anything to do with God's word.

You won't get any argument from me, either, as I am with you on this, and Ryan and Slider. You are correct. Of course we will all hear scriptures supposedly supporting a Sunday worship because we were all told by traditions of men that Sunday is now the new Sabbath. So they find scripture to fit that notion.

It's the same way with the other threads about Yeshua being in the grave 3 days and 3 nights people will likewise "fit" Friday to early Sunday morning as being 3 days and 3 nights. I'm still struggling trying to convince them otherwise (that Yeshua died on a Wednesday), let alone trying to tell everyone Sabbath is Saturday. :toofunny We have our work cut out for us trying to expose traditions of men. :rolling

JFYI. I am into astronomy, calendars, and time (being a gnomonist) so I know about these things. I don't take this stuff lightly, but I find it amazing being 'corrected' by those who did no 5 minutes of study into this matter as if they know all about it.

we were all told by traditions of men that Sunday is now the new Sabbath. So they find scripture to fit that notion.

That's really an unheard of concept for me. "Sunday is the new Sabbath"? None of the churches I have attended long long enough to learn their beliefs on this have ever said this. Christians I associate with (at least the ones who have talked about this) understand that the Sabbath is Saturday. The Messianic Jews that I know do keep the Sabbath and this is why I asked the OP if he was one so I could better understand his perspective. But he chose not to answer me, so I don't know.

The churches I have attended are not Messianic Jewish and therefore worship primarily on Sunday (but also on other days as well). We live under the grace of the New Testament and not under the law of the Old Testament, and we worship on Sunday as did the earliest of Christian churches. These early churches were in existence while apostles were still alive, and the apostles supported them and saw no reason to correct them on this. As I understand it, on this forum it is accepted that the Bible is the true word of God and that the words of the apostles in that Bible are also inspired words of God. I'm not going to be so bold as to say or even imply that this isn't true.

Worship on Sunday by Christians is not a matter of turning Sunday into a "new Sabbath", it is a matter of following the example of the apostles and the very earliest of churches. Under grace in the New Testament, we are no longer required to follow the Old Testament ceremonial laws. If a person wants to follow these laws in their own personal walk with the Lord (but not use it as a way of salvation through works) that's fine with us. But we just don't choose to do the same, that's all. If you want to judge Christians for this and say we are going to hell for it, so be it. It's up to you. But that doesn't make it right, and I wouldn't recommend passing that kind of judgement.

That's really an unheard of concept for me. "Sunday is the new Sabbath"? None of the churches I have attended long long enough to learn their beliefs on this have ever said this. Christians I associate with (at least the ones who have talked about this) understand that the Sabbath is Saturday. The Messianic Jews that I know do keep the Sabbath and this is why I asked the OP if he was one so I could better understand his perspective. But he chose not to answer me, so I don't know.

well.... it's implied as a Sabbath when the 10 commandments are cited. What about the traditional "Blue Laws"? But.... if I am wrong, then that is then an admission that even the 4th commandment is no longer followed and that's even worse. At least with the former, Christians used to say they followed the 4th commandment, but it was that the day was switched due to the resurrection, which then became a matter of Sabbath day interpretation.

Actually, Yeshua arose Saturday sundown by the Gregorian calendar reckoning, but even if we want to hold onto Sunday as the day of that celebration, the feast days only allow two (not 52) Sunday worships which are the Firstfruits and Pentecost. It does not give license to observe those days every week--- the Sabbath is still the Sabbath. Christians celebrate those two days in observance of the other Hebrew feast days we celebrate.

So, Jewish christians worship God at their services on Friday nights and Saturdays.
And gentile christians do so on Sundays.
So there's another division in the church.
What else is new.
The best way to settle this is this:
If you know Jewish christians, you should go worship with them on Fridays and Saturdays and they should go worship with you on Sundays.
Then you would be showing each other the love of God and it would get rid of the division.
It has to start somewhere so let it start with you and me.

While in Bible College and when I was young (both in my faith and in my chronological age) We rose and worshiped God Monday through Friday. Wednesday evenings were "Song Services" and Saturdays included out-reach service directed toward the community. We were encouraged to arrive 'prayed up' and early so that we could begin in prayer. Sunday there were two morning services (and many of "us" would attend both) and then again on Sunday Evening. Also, Monday through Friday were at least 3 classes per day focused on the study of a variety of biblical topics, from Fundamental Doctrines and teaching such as baptisms and repentance and etc to in-depth study of "the church" with a historic perspective to the various books of the Bible. Pauline Epistles, Harmony of the Gospels, The 1st Five Books of the Bible, The Writings & The Prophets. Each year in school would bring in deeper and deeper study. Each service would draw the student and general member of the congregation into deeper and deeper love and commitment to God. We also "joined together" in more social settings and ate and fellowshipped together often.

So, when was the Sabbath? The what is the Rest that is spoken of? This is a study in itself, isn't it? Is it a day? And if so, what about that "sabbath rest" that is given to the land itself in the law? Does God really care about crop rotation? Or was He speaking to us about His Spirit? "This is that rest..." I do remember reading that somewhere. Don't you?

well.... it's implied as a Sabbath when the 10 commandments are cited...

Actually, in the last two churches I've been involved with, it wasn't implied at all when the 10 commandments were cited. There was even a sermon (of which I have to admit I don't remember all the details) explaining this very subject. Of course, please understand I am only talking about what I've personally observed in a few churches I've been involved in. I'm not trying to say this represents Christian churches in general. I don't know if it does or doesn't.

One thing I do know is that this is an area that could just fuel endless debate and division because there is a wealth of theories and ideas on both sides of it, and I think also a wealth of people who are passionate enough about their perspective to keep it going. It just makes me cringe when someone judges and condemns all others to hell who don't see this issue the same way they see it, and that's why I originally responded to it. That kind of outright condemnation is what is divisive and wrong in my opinion and, I think, according to scripture as well.

...what about the traditional "Blue Laws"?

Not really sure what this has to do with scripture or the sabbath. If you are referring to the type of laws I think you are, they are secular governmental laws that vary greatly from community to community and country to country. Some of them probably are based on certain people's perspective of certain scriptures, and that may be fine, but secular laws are not God's word.

..but it was that the day was switched due to the resurrection, which then became a matter of Sabbath day interpretation.

Yes, that is the opinion of some (but not of others) and I think is worth looking at in a rational way. But as the OP demonstrates on this thread there are just too many people that are willing to take this too far to the extreme and venture into the sin of unscriptural judging and condemnation to others. It's just not worth it to cause these kind of divisions. I, along with the vast majority of Christians throughout history, are not following Satan because we worship God on Sunday. That's just absurd.

Back