Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Sign of Jonah

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Here is the scripture this post is about.

Matthew 12:38-42 Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, "Teacher, we want to see a miraculous sign from you." He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation ask for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah and now one greater than Jonah is here. The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon's wisdom, and now one greater than Solomon is here."

Jesus is obviously saying his death and resurrection was all you needed to know before judgment comes on the 🌎 Sometimes with scripture though, there are layers within the (main point). Just recently I am hearing of people talking about the solar eclipse that is going to happen on April 8th, 2024. They are pointing out the fact that it is going to cross (7) Ninevehs in the United States: Texas, Missouri, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and New York. I think most of us relate Jonah and being swallowed by a big fish, so I'm also attaching a video I find very interesting about getting swallowed by a whale.

The main point is definitely what Jesus did though! I just thought it interesting what people are saying about the eclipse coming up.

Hello LovethroughDove.
Peter quoted this OT prophecy about the Sun being turned to darkness,

The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come Act.2:20 KJV

Peter cited this as a current reality. I believe he was linking that passage to our Savior being defamed (made to look as evil, or darkness) before He rose from death (that great and notable day.)

Here is the scripture this post is about.

Matthew 12:38-42 Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, "Teacher, we want to see a miraculous sign from you." He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation ask for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah and now one greater than Jonah is here. The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon's wisdom, and now one greater than Solomon is here."

Jesus is obviously saying his death and resurrection was all you needed to know before judgment comes on the 🌎 Sometimes with scripture though, there are layers within the (main point). Just recently I am hearing of people talking about the solar eclipse that is going to happen on April 8th, 2024. They are pointing out the fact that it is going to cross (7) Ninevehs in the United States: Texas, Missouri, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and New York. I think most of us relate Jonah and being swallowed by a big fish, so I'm also attaching a video I find very interesting about getting swallowed by a whale.

Luke 11:29-30
And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet. For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.

But what is the Sign of Jonah that you look for today? Jesus was a sign to his generation, those who witnessed his crucifixion; but as for this current generation or any generations to come I should not expect the death and resurrection of Jesus to occur again; so what is the sign of Jonah that this generation would look for?

Now one should keep in mind the words of Jesus, that it is and evil generation that seeks a sign. Maybe we could go as far as saying it is an evil heart that seeks after a sign. Let that say what it will about those who would think the path of the eclipse could be the sign of Jonah.

Now as the scripture says, Jonah was a sign unto the Ninevites. So what might we learn from Jonah that would be a sign to this generation? Well what happened to Jonah? Sure, he was swallowed up by a whale, but why? Because he did not want to go to Ninevah and warn the people, he was more interested in seeing their destruction. Now that's not what is important here, what is important is that fact that the people of Ninevah repented and the Lord forgave them of their sins; But what did Jonah do? Maybe something the church of this generation should take heed of...

Jonah did not believe the Word of the God. God sent Jonah to Ninevah that they might repent, and when they did, Jonah did not believe it. So he took camp outside the city waiting for the destruction of Ninevah to come, where God tended to him and then started smiting him.

So Jonah went out of the city, and sat on the east side of the city, and there made him a booth, and sat under it in the shadow, till he might see what would become of the city. And the LORD God prepared a gourd, and made it to come up over Jonah, that it might be a shadow over his head, to deliver him from his grief. So Jonah was exceeding glad of the gourd. But God prepared a worm when the morning rose the next day, and it smote the gourd that it withered. And it came to pass, when the sun did arise, that God prepared a vehement east wind; and the sun beat upon the head of Jonah, that he fainted, and wished in himself to die, and said, It is better for me to die than to live. And God said to Jonah, Doest thou well to be angry for the gourd? And he said, I do well to be angry, even unto death. Then said the LORD, Thou hast had pity on the gourd, for the which thou hast not laboured, neither madest it grow; which came up in a night, and perished in a night: And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?

So with this example of Jonah, what sign might the evil hearts of this generation seek in Jonah? What might they learn from? How many of this generation who have partaken of the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil proclaim for themselves the word of God's judgement while they stand by waiting for the destruction of God to come upon those whom they deem sinners. Like Jonah, they don't really believe that Jesus forgave the world of sin, so they proclaim it's destruction.

Jonah was a prophet of God, as was Elijah, as was John the Baptist; All three sent to warn of God's impending judgement under the old covenant. Seems as though their are many in this generation who think of themselves as prophets warning of God's impending judgement, do they seek the sign of Jonah? I am reminded of the words of Jesus when he was speaking of John the Baptist, that there was no greater prophet than John, yet he who is least in the kingdom of Heaven is greater than he. I am also reminded of a time when Jesus and his disciples were refused in a certain town, and some had asked if they should call fire down upon them as Elijah did. Jesus chastised them and asked, know you not what spirit you are of?

Hello LovethroughDove.
Peter quoted this OT prophecy about the Sun being turned to darkness,

The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come Act.2:20 KJV

Peter cited this as a current reality. I believe he was linking that passage to our Savior being defamed (made to look as evil, or darkness) before He rose from death (that great and notable day.)
Thank you for a different perspective, this definitely could be.

Luke 11:29-30
And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet. For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.

Now one should keep in mind the words of Jesus, that it is and evil generation that seeks a sign. Maybe we could go as far as saying it is an evil heart that seeks after a sign. Let that say what it will about those who would think the path of the eclipse could be the sign of Jonah.
I agree that we should not seek a sign. We don't need one. I have no idea why Bill Engvall's "Here's your sign" popped into my mind where you were writing about people who need a sign! 😆 Some people have a complete ministry of "signs", and I think people flock to those things sometimes cause they want to feel in control.

Thank you for a different perspective, this definitely could be.
It's an unorthdox way of interpreting the scriptures, but it's just saying the scriptures are completely fulfilled in what Jesus has already shown to this world.

Jesus gave the answer to defeating every woe on earth over 2000 years ago. People aren't listening.

In Matthew 24 the disciples ask Jesus three questions, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? As we read this chapter Jesus explains all things that must come first before He returns for His Bride. We can clearly see many of those things coming to pass even in our life time, but the greatest is that of Matthew 24:29-31 that we need to be prepared for so we are not taken as a theif in the night.

Believe in what Jesus has already taught us and please do not drink the Kool-aid.

Believe in what Jesus has already taught us and please do not drink the Kool-aid.
Does this mean the thread is over?

You have spoken?

This is the Way?

This is the Way, and the Truth, and the Light.
In Matthew 24 the disciples ask Jesus three questions, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
And they were not the evil and adulterous group. So they were not given a fish, a great fish, instead of a sign.
As we read this chapter Jesus explains all things that must come first before He returns for His Bride. We can clearly see many of those things coming to pass even in our life time, but the greatest is that of Matthew 24:29-31 that we need to be prepared for so we are not taken as a theif in the night.
And Jesus was speaking not His own words, but the words given to Him by His Father. Even then He had directed us to the words spoken of by the Prophet Daniel and the 1290 days.

I'm half practising if I can Log in. I'm glad it let me switch back to the white background and square avatars. The white on black kills my eyes.

The news forums are interested in signs. Scrolling the comment sections of these can be as compelling as the original posts.

I think it means we're so close we don't even have to talk about it.

Be silent before the Lord, all flesh.

Silence in Heaven for about the space of half an hour. Half a "hora". Half a Heptad. While the Two Witnesses lay dead in the streets of the "Great City". Go to the "Great City" and tell Nineveh they have 40 days to repent.

The men of Nineveh will stand up on Judgment Day.

"The men of Nineveh will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and behold, something greater than Jonah is here.​

(“Behold, I am coming like a thief! Blessed is the one who stays awake, keeping his garments on, that he may not go about naked and be seen exposed!”)​

Behold, Something greater than Jonah is here.

I think this is probably the case.

I think it is too. I'm probably more sure of it. So it's better to use that probably word. But if this is a sign, an indicator of Biblical proportion, and people were not silent, I'd rather not be caught saying it was not a sign, if this is from God.

Like your multi-layered approach sounds good:

Sometimes with scripture though, there are layers within the (main point).

It's hard, at a minimum, not to see our attention is being directed now to the Book of Jonah.

LHC accelerator on track to restart on April 8.

The first collisions of proton beams are expected on April 8, when all tests and fine-tuning of the machine are over. Then the large CERN experiments involving colliding protons can resume their measurement program.

www.nikhef.nl/en/news/lhc-accelerator-on-track-to-restart-in-april/

Beams back for a bumper year

Physics in ISOLDE, downstream of the PS Booster, will start on 8 April, followed by the SPS North Area on 10 April. The antimatter factory is set to start delivering antiprotons to its experiments on 22 April, while the AWAKE facility will run for 10 weeks and the SPS HiRadMat facility for four one-week runs.

"And the fifth angel blew his trumpet, and I saw a star fallen from heaven to earth, and he was given the key to the shaft of the bottomless pit. He opened the shaft of the bottomless pit, and from the shaft rose smoke like the smoke of a great furnace, and the sun and the air were darkened with the smoke from the shaft. Then from the smoke came locusts on the earth, and they were given power like the power of scorpions of the earth.​

I don't think the LHC is this, but it's interesting to keep an eye on the news.

I think the fifth trumpet was already sounded in May 2022, that the five months of Revelation 9 are completed. And it continues now. There were more cases of it in the first month of this year in Toronto than in the five month global outbreak. The men who have taken the mark of the beast continue to ask for death, for the penalty of sin is death, but death flees from them. They gnawed their tongues for pain, and blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.

A stand alone solar eclipse wouldn't concern me as an indicator, unless I was already pretty sure, by other methods, that we were in the last heptad. But it's a scary enough thing. I have no doubt the need to pray, so that we can stand. Before the Son of Man.

"And the fifth angel blew his trumpet, and I saw a star fallen from heaven to earth, and he was given the key to the shaft of the bottomless pit. He opened the shaft of the bottomless pit, and from the shaft rose smoke like the smoke of a great furnace, and the sun and the air were darkened with the smoke from the shaft. Then from the smoke came locusts on the earth, and they were given power like the power of scorpions of the earth.
I don't think the LHC is this, but it's interesting to keep an eye on the news.
CERN

CERN: WE ARE CONFIDENT OF MAKING CONTACT WITH A PARALLEL UNIVERSE THIS WEEK… OUT OF THIS DOOR MIGHT COME “SOMETHING”

Thanks for the article, it's just what I needed. Lol.

I wonder what is the matter with those people, what do they think they're trying to do?

"In 1935, Albert Einstein and his student, Nathan Rosen, proposed that connecting two black holes would form a tube-like gateway between two regions. This passageway is called an Einstein-Rosen Bridge. The math works. Traversable wormholes provide a valid solution to field equations of general relativity.[vi] According to theory, one could enter a black hole and exit a white hole in another universe.

"CERN is an abbreviated title for the ancient god worshipped by the Celts: Cernnunos. The name means “horned one,” and his stern image appears in various forms, usually wearing “stag’s horns” upon his head, and he is oftentimes accompanied by a ram-headed serpent. His worshippers celebrated Cernunnos’ birth in December during the winter solstice. As the Celtic god of the underworld, he parallels Hades and Pluto.​

I wouldn't worry man, our Lord is in charge.

"What He opens no one can shut, and what He shuts no one can open.​

Back