Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The spirit returns to God?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Again, Benoni, look up all the occurrences of "spirit" (ruach--Heb; pneuma--Gk) in the Bible and categorize them. Many times the "spirit" of God is spoken of, but it is not the Holy Spirit.

Indeed, man is made in the image of God and after His likeness. (Gen. 1:26).

The word for "image" in this verse is "tselem"--in Hebrew, and from its usage has to do with a shape or form, such as a statue of a person or animal; or an idol, or almost anything.
The word "image" has nothing to do with man's spirit (life force).

Also, the literal rendering of John 4:24 should be "God Spirit: and they that worship him must whorship in spirit and in truth."

God is not "a" spirit; he is Spirit...all power and wisdom.

D bible says:GOD is D father of our spirit(Heb.12:9)
GOD is not D father of flesh,GOD is a Spirit(John 4:24)
GOD is D GOD of D living(Mk.12:27)
GOD is a living GOD & D life giver(1 Tim 6:13)
D spirit(pneuma)of man is D indestructible breathe of GOD it has a thinking faculty called D soul(psuche)which is D conscience,emotions(Mat.12:18) it is a part of D spirit
D body(flesh)is D house of our spirit. It looks like(image)of D spirit but limited in abilities
Angels are spirits too(Heb.1:14)they are also recognized as D sons of GOD(Job 1:6)
Angels are not legitimate sons(Heb.1:5)
Men are legitimate sons co-heir with JESUS(Rom 8:17)
An example in dis kind of electn is btw Jacob&Esau(d elder shall serve d younger)it's GOD's choice!-Rom 9:12,Gen25:23.
By d order of election(of GOD)angels are servants,even though they're older than us by order of creation(Heb1:14)
Angels have celestial body,Man has terrestial body but we're both spirits and GOD is our father(1cor15:40)
Why do we need the body?
For us 2b functional on planet earth we must put on earthly suit(flesh)(2cor12:2)
i.e for a man to functn in space he must wear space suit.
4d spirit of angels 2 functn in heaven they need celestial(heavenly)body

The best explanation anyone can give about where they have not been before is open to bias, prejudice and imperfection thus in such cases why not ask the master Himself...if you allow the Lord Jesus to teach you His words you will know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

If God is a spirit and I'm His son then I'm a spirit (Gen.1:27)
The son of a dog is a dog, the sons of God are gods(Psalm 82:6,John 10:34):chin

I've often wondered the difference between soul and spirit but what I'm getting here is a lot of different opinions.
I would certainly like some clear understanding if anyone knows how to do that.

I've often wondered the difference between soul and spirit but what I'm getting here is a lot of different opinions.
I would certainly like some clear understanding if anyone knows how to do that.

http://v3.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G4983&t=KJV

These are the GK words according to Strong's and are the same Greek words used in all three verses.

soul = G5590 = psyche
spirit = G4151 = pneuma
body = G4983 = soma (only used in 1 Thess. 5:23) joint and marrow in Heb 4:12 and My Beloved = Jesus God in the flesh

Matthew 12:18

New King James Version (NKJV)

18 “Behold! My Servant whom I have chosen,
My Beloved in whom My soul is well pleased!
I will put My Spirit upon Him,
And He will declare justice to the Gentiles.
1 Thessalonians 5:23

Blessing and Admonition

23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Hebrews 4:12

12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents

thanks Deborah.
this verse in Hebrews 4:12, I find it unique.
the use of the word "even" makes me wonder the difference.
there is obviously a difference but what is it?
do you know?

thanks Deborah.
this verse in Hebrews 4:12, I find it unique.
the use of the word "even" makes me wonder the difference.
there is obviously a difference but what is it?
do you know?

I have a teaching and an understanding of it which I feel is true. But you will have to pray about it for yourself. This is Andrew Wommack's website. He's a grace preacher but he does not teach a liberal, you can do anything you want and believe your saved.

http://www.awmi.net/extra/article/spirit_soul

Ecclesiastes 12:7

What does God do with all the spirits when they return?

When are these spirits created?

Which part of us, is the spirit? Do we control it? Is it who we are?

1. Return from what, death? He will give the righteous a place to dwell in heaven w/immortal bodies.
2. Everyone is born with a spirit since mothers womb, but one day spirits of the righteous will be immortal after death.
3. Our spirit has three functions: conscience, intuition, and communion
4. Our soul also has three functions: the will, mind, and emotion

Is your spirit and soul aligned with the spirit and soul of God? Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does God do with all the spirits when they return?

When are these spirits created?

Which part of us, is the spirit? Do we control it? Is it who we are?
For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten Ecc. 9:5 The spirits don't return until they are resurrected and that has not happened yet. As for your question of when are spirits created? That is an interesting one does it happen at conception? maybe...but just know this that God knew his chosen before the foundation of the world was created. Eph.1:4 Mortal man consists of soul and body. Jesus said don't fear them who can kill the body and not touch the soul...i don't know if there is a difference between the soul and spirit. Who you are is what your soul or spirit is...this body is just a "vehicle" for that soul.:)

For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten Ecc. 9:5 The spirits don't return until they are resurrected and that has not happened yet. As for your question of when are spirits created? That is an interesting one does it happen at conception? maybe...but just know this that God knew his chosen before the foundation of the world was created. Eph.1:4 Mortal man consists of soul and body. Jesus said don't fear them who can kill the body and not touch the soul...i don't know if there is a difference between the soul and spirit. Who you are is what your soul or spirit is...this body is just a "vehicle" for that soul.:)

Hi Grappler,

The spirit belongs to God, it is His. God created man from the dust and breathed His spirit/breath into him and man became a living soul. Soul according to this passage is the body and spirit (God's) as a whole. I don't see anything in Scripture that teaches individual spirits in each person. Job said,

14 If he set his heart upon man, if he gather unto himself his spirit and his breath;
15 All flesh shall perish together, and man shall turn again unto dust. (Job 34:14-15 KJV)

This seems to indicate that it is God's spirit/breath that is what is giving all flesh life. It also seems to support the idea that there is only the spirit of God, not individual spirit in each person.

Also, regarding Ephesians 1:4, that passage isn't speaking of individuals being chosen, it refers to the Jews.

Hope this helps

Hi Grappler,

The spirit belongs to God, it is His. God created man from the dust and breathed His spirit/breath into him and man became a living soul. Soul according to this passage is the body and spirit (God's) as a whole. I don't see anything in Scripture that teaches individual spirits in each person. Job said,

14 If he set his heart upon man, if he gather unto himself his spirit and his breath;
15 All flesh shall perish together, and man shall turn again unto dust. (Job 34:14-15 KJV)

This seems to indicate that it is God's spirit/breath that is what is giving all flesh life. It also seems to support the idea that there is only the spirit of God, not individual spirit in each person.

Also, regarding Ephesians 1:4, that passage isn't speaking of individuals being chosen, it refers to the Jews.

Hope this helps
Not really. I am not so sure Jesus considered the body+spirit=soul. Jesus specifically saw a difference between the body and soul. He divided man into body and soul Matthew 10:28. I can agree with you that there is only the spirit of God...not individual spirits..after all man is mortal he is not immortal he is not given eternal life until Jesus returns and resurrects him and eternal life will only be given to those who believe in the Son. As for Ephesians 1:4 i didn't see the word Jews there...could you point that out for me? Paul wrote that epistle to the church of Ephesus not Jews...i mean come one read your bible Paul says that in verse 1!lol I am not sure what your hang up is on the Jews but you reallly need to get over it because it is not scriptural. Paul said there is no longer Jew or Greek...do you understand that? Furthermore to say that Paul is talking about Jews in Ephesians 1 is completely irrational. Paul is addressing those who were adopted as sons through Jesus...Jews despise Jesus. Jews who reject Jesus die and will be cast into Hell on judgement day...doesn't sound like adopted chosen sons does it??:lol

Not really. I am not so sure Jesus considered the body+spirit=soul. Jesus specifically saw a difference between the body and soul. He divided man into body and soul Matthew 10:28. I can agree with you that there is only the spirit of God...not individual spirits..after all man is mortal he is not immortal he is not given eternal life until Jesus returns and resurrects him and eternal life will only be given to those who believe in the Son. As for Ephesians 1:4 i didn't see the word Jews there...could you point that out for me? Paul wrote that epistle to the church of Ephesus not Jews...i mean come one read your bible Paul says that in verse 1!lol I am not sure what your hang up is on the Jews but you reallly need to get over it because it is not scriptural. Paul said there is no longer Jew or Greek...do you understand that? Furthermore to say that Paul is talking about Jews in Ephesians 1 is completely irrational. Paul is addressing those who were adopted as sons through Jesus...Jews despise Jesus. Jews who reject Jesus die and will be cast into Hell on judgement day...doesn't sound like adopted chosen sons does it??:lol

Jesus uses soul in the way it is used in Genesis. It is the life, the body and spirit became a living soul.

Regarding Ephesians 1, it can seen from the context of the passage, it can also be seen from the context of the book, and it can be shown that what I said is the historical understanding of the passage. The church in Ephesus was started from a break in the Synagogue which means it was started with Jews, thus the leadership was Jewish. In the original language verses 3-12 are one long sentence which is known as a Hebraism The section is a praise to God for what He's done for the Jewish people. If you read the section you'll see there are parts that don't apply to Gentiles. It's important to read the Scriptures in context. The book is addressed to the saints at Ephesus, which we see in chapter 2 is a reference to the Jews. Paul did say there is neither Jew not Greek in Christ, however, there were Jews and Greeks in the churches that he wrote to and he addresses different groups at different times in different letters.

Jesus uses soul in the way it is used in Genesis. It is the life, the body and spirit became a living soul.

Regarding Ephesians 1, it can seen from the context of the passage, it can also be seen from the context of the book, and it can be shown that what I said is the historical understanding of the passage. The church in Ephesus was started from a break in the Synagogue which means it was started with Jews, thus the leadership was Jewish. In the original language verses 3-12 are one long sentence which is known as a Hebraism The section is a praise to God for what He's done for the Jewish people. If you read the section you'll see there are parts that don't apply to Gentiles. It's important to read the Scriptures in context. The book is addressed to the saints at Ephesus, which we see in chapter 2 is a reference to the Jews. Paul did say there is neither Jew not Greek in Christ, however, there were Jews and Greeks in the churches that he wrote to and he addresses different groups at different times in different letters.
Paul did NOT specify any difference between someone who was of Jewish descent or Gentile. He simply said the saints in Ephesus. Please don't add words to scripture. You really need to believe what scripture says and not add your own ideas and biases to it. Paul was addressing Christians who were living in Ephesus. Not Jew or Greek. Not male or female. Not short or tall...just Christians..and since i am a Christian...Paul was addressing me as well.:)

Paul did NOT specify any difference between someone who was of Jewish descent or Gentile. He simply said the saints in Ephesus. Please don't add words to scripture. You really need to believe what scripture says and not add your own ideas and biases to it. Paul was addressing Christians who were living in Ephesus. Not Jew or Greek. Not male or female. Not short or tall...just Christians..and since i am a Christian...Paul was addressing me as well.:)

So far all you've supplied is your opinion. Paul said in verse 11, we have obtained an inheritance. Please show me where Scripture teaches that Paul's Gentile Ephesian readers had, in the past, received an inheritance from God.

So far all you've supplied is your opinion. Paul said in verse 11, we have obtained an inheritance. Please show me where Scripture teaches that Paul's Gentile Ephesian readers had, in the past, received an inheritance from God.
You really are confused aren't you?lol My point is that Ephesians 1 is addressed to Christians...all Christians. You are trying to say that he is talking only to Jews or something...you are the one that has no proof that he is only talking to Jews. To think that Paul is only talking to Jews (which by the way despise Jesus) is completely illogical.

You really are confused aren't you?lol My point is that Ephesians 1 is addressed to Christians...all Christians. You are trying to say that he is talking only to Jews or something...you are the one that has no proof that he is only talking to Jews. To think that Paul is only talking to Jews (which by the way despise Jesus) is completely illogical.

It seems you're not reading my posts. I didn't say he was talking "to" Jews. I said it was about the Jews. It was a praise to God for the blessings He had bestowed on the Jewish people. I notice you didn't answer m y question. You see, the Jews were given an inheritance by God in the past as Paul says. However, that statement is "NOT" true for the Gentiles. Therefore Paul cannot be speaking of the Gentiles. Do you believe Paul knew what he was talking about? In verse 8 he said, God had abounded towards them in all wisdom and prudence. If Paul meant his readers why would he in the next few verses,

15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
(Eph 1:15-19 KJV)

Paul said he prays that God would enlighten them and give them wisdom. Why would Paul pray this if as he said in verse 8 that God had abounded towards them in all wisdom and prudence? That doens't make sense. One doesn't pray that God will give (future) someone something that he just said was given to them in the past. Thus Paul is not talking about his Ephesian readers in verse 8. It was the Jews that God had abounded towards in wisdom as Paul states in chapter 3.

3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; (Eph 3:3-5 KJV)

God had also in the past abounded towards the OT Prophets in wisdom giving them His word.

It seems you're not reading my posts. I didn't say he was talking "to" Jews. I said it was about the Jews. It was a praise to God for the blessings He had bestowed on the Jewish people. I notice you didn't answer m y question. You see, the Jews were given an inheritance by God in the past as Paul says. However, that statement is "NOT" true for the Gentiles. Therefore Paul cannot be speaking of the Gentiles. Do you believe Paul knew what he was talking about? In verse 8 he said, God had abounded towards them in all wisdom and prudence. If Paul meant his readers why would he in the next few verses,

15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
(Eph 1:15-19 KJV)

Paul said he prays that God would enlighten them and give them wisdom. Why would Paul pray this if as he said in verse 8 that God had abounded towards them in all wisdom and prudence? That doens't make sense. One doesn't pray that God will give (future) someone something that he just said was given to them in the past. Thus Paul is not talking about his Ephesian readers in verse 8. It was the Jews that God had abounded towards in wisdom as Paul states in chapter 3.

3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit; (Eph 3:3-5 KJV)

God had also in the past abounded towards the OT Prophets in wisdom giving them His word.
Butch you are not making any sense. Please read Ephesians chapter 1 again. There you will see that Paul is addressing the saints of Ephesus. You have failed to show me that he is somehow talking to Jews. Do you not understand that those who practice Judaism are going to be cast into the lake of fire?? Paul is not concerned with Judaism or Jews...he is concerned with the saints of God, a term that he uses sometimes to refer to Christians not Jews. Do you not know that the Jews wanted Jesus crucified?? I mean this stuff is Christianity 101 dude...anyways you keep talking about an inheritance...i refer you to Galatians 3:29, yes another epistle of Paul, Here you will see that ALL in Christ (not just Jews) become INHERITORS of the promises of Abraham. So please once again stop this bias towards the Jews...God is not a respecter of persons and we should not be either.:)

Butch you are not making any sense. Please read Ephesians chapter 1 again. There you will see that Paul is addressing the saints of Ephesus. You have failed to show me that he is somehow talking to Jews. Do you not understand that those who practice Judaism are going to be cast into the lake of fire?? Paul is not concerned with Judaism or Jews...he is concerned with the saints of God, a term that he uses sometimes to refer to Christians not Jews. Do you not know that the Jews wanted Jesus crucified?? I mean this stuff is Christianity 101 dude...anyways you keep talking about an inheritance...i refer you to Galatians 3:29, yes another epistle of Paul, Here you will see that ALL in Christ (not just Jews) become INHERITORS of the promises of Abraham. So please once again stop this bias towards the Jews...God is not a respecter of persons and we should not be either.:)

I didn't say he was talking "TO" Jews, I said he is talking "ABOUT" Jews. Verses 3-12 are a praise to God called a Hebraism. Paul is praising God for what He has done for the Jewish people. You realize that when Paul wrote there were Jews and Gentiles in the churches right? If so, then he could address these groups a different times, just like someone who is writing a letter home might address, mother, father, and siblings individually.

Regard the inheritance in Galatians, take notice it is future, I was spoke of an inheritance in the past which the Jews received, the Gentiles were not given an inheritance in the past. If you're interested I can give you a link to an article that explains this.

Ephesians 1

1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

This is not an immortal soul, for as several have posted the dead know nothing. The spirit of man or spirit in man is the operating system. Think of it this way, the spirit of man is an operating system complete with a memory device. Now all of us are using machine that has an operating system and a memory device to post here. The machine does nothing without an operating system, just sets there. What can an operating system do without a machine? Nothing, nada, zip. Now unite the two and presto, we have a machine that is functioning...

Jas 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

This spirit of man is not the Holy Spirit, we receive that upon conversion and not everyone has it...

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

So we see that a normal human does not have the Holy Spirit until conversion, but the spirit of man continues to cause the body to function and conscious thought occurs. Deprive the body of the spirit and death occurs, deprive the spirit of the body and death occurs. The dead know nothing.

God receives the spirit of man, stores it for a future reunification with a body. Until that time, the spirit knows nothing, it is unconscious without a body to operate through.

I didn't say he was talking "TO" Jews, I said he is talking "ABOUT" Jews. Verses 3-12 are a praise to God called a Hebraism. Paul is praising God for what He has done for the Jewish people. You realize that when Paul wrote there were Jews and Gentiles in the churches right? If so, then he could address these groups a different times, just like someone who is writing a letter home might address, mother, father, and siblings individually.

Regard the inheritance in Galatians, take notice it is future, I was spoke of an inheritance in the past which the Jews received, the Gentiles were not given an inheritance in the past. If you're interested I can give you a link to an article that explains this.

Ephesians 1
Paul was talking to and about the Christians of Ephesus and as for that matter all Christians. Prove to me that he was talking about only Jews. Paul was not praising God for what he did for Jews...not all Jews are saved....he was praising God for what he had done for his chosen...i am thankful that i am one aren't you? I love Galatians 3:29 i will post it again...lets read it shall we? "And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Pretty simple huh? I don't need a link to explain something so simple...thanks though.:)

Paul was talking to and about the Christians of Ephesus and as for that matter all Christians. Prove to me that he was talking about only Jews. Paul was not praising God for what he did for Jews...not all Jews are saved....he was praising God for what he had done for his chosen...i am thankful that i am one aren't you? I love Galatians 3:29 i will post it again...lets read it shall we? "And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Pretty simple huh? I don't need a link to explain something so simple...thanks though.:)

I've already proven it, if you don't accept what the Scriptures say that's your prerogative, however, I have proven it. If you read the article you'll see it more clearly. I have given you passages in that section of Scripture that cannot be applied to the Gentiles. All you've done is deny it. You've not even attempted to prove it wrong.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back