Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

The Ten Commandments

What's interesting is that, from my experience, Lutherans go WAY out of their way to rid themselves of everything Catholic. We won't even sing the same songs if they are deemed to be traditional Catholic hymns, and there's some good stuff there! It's strange that we would be in agreement on this.

This honestly wasn't presented as a smear on Catholics, but our church has many... and I mean many... former Catholic members. I'm in that same group. We FC's probably distance ourselves from the RCC more than most others.

I have to say that I have never studied Lutheran doctrine before, but find what you say interesting. However, I do not find it so strange that we are in agreement...rather nice actually. :)

I believe you when you say it was not meant as a smear, and I would concur. But the truth remains that this is a blatant, and very tangible, piece of evidence toward the false teaching of the catholic faith.

What bothers me, and one thing I have a hard time getting my mind around, is wondering what else has been 'left out' and passed down to, and through, the ages. It wouldn't bother me so much if it were not for the fact that every "denomination" has its roots in the roman catholic church. But thats another topic of discussion.

And don't forget Jesus' commandment that we love each other. Is that an 11the commandment?

Love God with all your hearts, mind, and strenght and love your neighbor as yourself. On these two cammandments hang all the laws. Hmmm...

• Thou shalt have no other gods.
  • Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
  • Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain;
  • Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Sounds like a pretty good plan for loving God with all our heart, mind, and strength to me.

• Honour thy father and thy mother:
  • Thou shalt not kill.
  • Thou shalt not commit adultery.
  • Thou shalt not steal.
  • Thou shalt not bear false witness.
  • Thou shalt not covet.
Sounds like a pretty good blueprint for loving each other to me.

Christiannationalist said:
And don't forget Jesus' commandment that we love each other. Is that an 11the commandment?
no, its the second. he said the law hangeth upon the first two commandments

that statement of yours cant be included in the torah.
This is from the Shema...

Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus said unto him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Again, if we look at the 10 commandments, the first 5 are commandments for God and the last 5 are for man. Thus, Jesus response from the Shema.

Mike,
There is a reason why the commandment to honor your father and mother is smack dab in the middle (number 5). It bridges the gap between the commandments toward God and the commandments toward one another in a way that when you honor your mother and father, it is a reflection of how one honors God.

I'm not so sure the Jews look at the first commandment as being what's listed in your chart either. I'd have to look back at my Ramban commentary, but it doesn't seem correct from the Ramban's perspective anyway. Things that make ya go hmmm..

But anyway, what right does a Protestant or a Catholic have changing how the Jews viewed these as far a sequence? Hmmm I wonder what Jesus thought.

Hi, I like Nat's reply, and you gave a good reason of a seperation from the forth & the fifth, But 'i' think that there is another reason!;) We find TWO tables, and this finds ones DUTY to God in the first four, and our duty for both in the second six, yet limited in seperation to that MANKIND!

There is more needed in the understanding of this, because of Rom. 13. If studied clearly, we might find that Caesar is trusted there only with one duty to man. Other/wise ALL of the diciples were Law Breaker to God. See Acts 5:27-*29

Let me just give this one text from Christ on this when He was being tempted? (division of the two table's of the ten commandments)

Matt. 22:35
[35] Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
[36] Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
[38] This [[is the first and great]] commandment.

[39] And the [[second is like unto it]], Thou [[shalt love thy neighbour]] as thyself.

[40] On these [[two commandments hang all the law]] and the prophets.

--Elijah

Back