Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The True Self and the False Self

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

humble soul

On Sabbatical from Rome
You might have heard of this. I still struggle with what it means exactly. I think the false self is basically our ego. The ego that needs validation and a sense of winning every little transaction in the day.
On the other hand, the true self sees other people as suffering just like him. and offers some kindness. Not for reward. The true self truly wants to give not take. It is not into point scoring. It listens in order to help, to ease others' pain.
Humble Soul needs to show his true self more often.

Hey Dan
Sorry about the Episcopal Church. No wonder you hate them. My prayers for your suffering.

Richard Rohr gives an explanation of true self and false self.
Catholics might be considered to live the false self life if he or she tries to earn merit with God by :
Going to Mass without fail
Following the Commandments to the letter of the law.

We need to change our focus. See that the reservoir of God's love is actually in us. So we allow God to guide us gently from within.
It seems that we need to avoid trying to please God. He already accepts us, sinful and imperfect as we are. With His help we try to live a life of Love. A life based on edifying rather than hating others.

You might have heard of this. I still struggle with what it means exactly. I think the false self is basically our ego. The ego that needs validation and a sense of winning every little transaction in the day.
On the other hand, the true self sees other people as suffering just like him. and offers some kindness. Not for reward. The true self truly wants to give not take. It is not into point scoring. It listens in order to help, to ease others' pain.

Thanks Brother I needed a good laugh this morning! That's funny. I remember this stuff. 8th grade I think. It is interesting. What it amounts to is...

I am not who I think I am. I am not who you think I am. I am who I think, you think I am.

Does that make sense?

It used to make sense to me for a long time but now, not so much. There's a big gaping hole in it. Can you spot it?

Psychological brain twisters are the best first thing in the morning when I'm fresh and rested.

Hey I do have my BS detector on for some of this "new age " stuff. I don't fully accept Rohr's attitude or point of view. He can be very sardonic and even hateful towards conservative Catholics. And though he denies leftist political ideological influence, I can't help but see it clearly.

Mystical.
There's a word.
Enough to turn most God fearing Christians, especially non Catholics, off.
But we don't have to solve God. He remains a mystery. The mystical tradition respects that.

You can see the Buddhist influence in Rohr's teaching.
"No need to take offence . The false self is not the real you".
My false self was insulted this morning. It had a half hour counselling session with the true self, so feels a lot better now.

And I can't help but believe what he is saying

Ego has the capacity to destroy (destructive thoughts, (when it seems nothing is going your way) or constructive thoughts (when everything is going your way))

Back