Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
So tell me what qualified Matthew, Mark, and Luke to write Gospels? We know very little about these men, but we know a lot about the inner circle disciples. How can you suggest it isn’t an issue, when it kept me damned to hell until I found the truth and became a solid believer? The only proof of authorship is in the Gospels, anything other claims are heresey.
What motives do you think those bystanders would have had to change what they had heard? Do you think it was outside the power of GOD to determine exactly what was written, and why?

I am not going to ask my wife if I sometimes frustrate her , lol ! I know the answer :lol .

Think about this . It could be that God wanted the gospel spread through words out of the mouths of the people that had first hand experience of seeing the gospel in action . Not just the apostles but all the other people whose heart and soul had been pierced by seeing Jesus in action . Think what it must of been like to tell others of seeing Jesus in all his glory . The ones hearing from these would hear the passion in their voices and see the fire in their eyes as they spoke ! Hard to get that from words on paper . But I am not discounting the power of God's Word in the bible .
i agree. I believe there was much more documentation written about Jesus and the disciples. Hmmm…what happened to it? Lost like the Gospel author names?

Excellent question. I personally never had a question about John’s authorship - it was the only Gospel author name I had cofidence in. Recently, the details in that Gospel proved to me that he was the author.

Ok. John's is generally regarded as the last Gospel to be written, so it's interesting you should take this position.

What is it in John's Gospel that you believe provides evidence of authenticity whereas the other three do not?

What motives do you think those bystanders would have had to change what they had heard? Do you think it was outside the power of GOD to determine exactly what was written, and why?
What bystanders are you referring to? I think Jesus picked to write and they wrote. Was the gospel author names being lost a mystery to God? Nope he knew it all and prophecy verifies it.

Having reliable Gospel authors names would not eliminate the need to have faith to believe a 2,000 year old story about God sending his Son to earth and raising people from the dead. Still need a lot of faith so I’m not sure what point you are trying to make.
If you have trouble believing that the Word/ Christ/ Spirit of GOD brings the dead to life then I would say not to rely on the bible to fix that as you may not hold a perception or discernment that allows your faith to grow. Perhaps discussion, and doing what is good from a good heart in silence is all you need. You said you believe that Jesus the Christ of GOD actually did walk the earth; and I'm sure you believe that the law of GOD is written on the heart and mind of the believer. Surely you believe you have need for Messiah.

The accounts are reliable because they reiterate the teachings of the Christ harmoniously. To dwell on the rest is to be distracted from the point, to miss the mark perhaps.

If you have trouble believing that the Word/ Christ/ Spirit of GOD brings the dead to life then I would say not to rely on the bible to fix that as you may not hold a perception or discernment that allows your faith to grow. Perhaps discussion, and doing what is good from a good heart in silence is all you need. You said you believe that Jesus the Christ of GOD actually did walk the earth; and I'm sure you believe that the law of GOD is written on the heart and mind of the believer. Surely you believe you have need for Messiah.

The accounts are reliable because they reiterate the teachings of the Christ harmoniously. To dwell on the rest is to be distracted from the point, to miss the mark perhaps.
Jesus is the promised Messiah and all who believed in him will have eternal life. Understanding who wrote the Gospels confirms this fact even more. It’s a beautiful story of truth that God decreed from the beginning of time.

Why do you say John’s Gospel was the last written?

I said that's the generally held view within scholarship.
BTW, I think there is overwhelming proof in the Gospels for who wrote them - not just John’s. God left breadcrumbs to follow.

Breadcrumbs...

Again, are you saying that there are only breadcrumbs in Matthew, Mark and Luke, but that John is genuinely authentic throughout?

Jesus is the promised Messiah and all who believed in him will have eternal life. Understanding who wrote the Gospels confirms this fact even more. It’s a beautiful story of truth that God decreed from the beginning of time.
I don't think we need to know who exactly wrote the books in order to know the will of GOD in our own lives though. I'm sure it is a beautiful study.

I don't think we need to know who exactly wrote the books in order to know the will of GOD in our own lives though. I'm sure it is a beautiful study.
I wouldn’t call the study beautiful, but for a doubter like me destined for hell, the results certainly were. If my results had proved the story of Jesus to be a fake, I’d be on here trying to convince Christians that they are wasting their time. Now I spend all my time trying to reach out to others who have doubts to prove to them that the story of Jesus is true and that we all have the most important decision of our life to either believe and be saved or reject and go to hell.

So tell me what qualified Matthew, Mark, and Luke to write Gospels?
I've said several times--Matthew was an apostle and Mark and Luke were close companions who traveled with Peter and Paul, respectively. They recorded what the apostles either told them to or just wrote what they heard the apostles say, as well as any other eyewitness accounts.

We know very little about these men, but we know a lot about the inner circle disciples. How can you suggest it isn’t an issue, when it kept me damned to hell until I found the truth and became a solid believer?
Well, then there was an error in your beliefs somewhere, but it had nothing to do with the authors of the gospels.

The only proof of authorship is in the Gospels, anything other claims are heresey.
Not at all. What proof is in the gospels?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back