Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

There is no God

Drew said:
4. The behaviour of believers (e.g. Christians) gives you no reason to believe that they have tapped into something real and significant.

The behaviour of Christian believers?

Do you mean the irrationality we often see? How they don't seem capable of adult debate? How they love to accuse each other of not being "real" Christians?

In your mind Drew, what does that behaviour point towards?

DivineNames said:
Drew said:
4. The behaviour of believers (e.g. Christians) gives you no reason to believe that they have tapped into something real and significant.

Do you mean the irrationality we often see? How they don't seem capable of adult debate? How they love to accuse each other of not being "real" Christians?

Its a real puzzler, I must confess.

Disagreements about doctrine, while a little worrisome to me at times, is not the discouraging part. It is more the attitudes and the general irrationality (a classic example of the latter is the "you are using worldly wisdom" argument).

Of course, I need to examine myself in the same critical light.....

Ignorance!

That is what it points towards!

Even a hard core fundy Christian must admit he/she does not KNOW God as God REALLY is.

You have a book.... with words..... that make an image (idol) in your mind of WHAT God exactly is......

But when this theory crumbles due to the Truth of the matter (that God is transcendent) you get the ANGRY RETORTS stemming from the IGNORANCE of God's True nature.....

Maybe this is what the Gnostics were saying in the early part of the first couple centuries AD.

To them SIN was linked directly with IGNORANCE and not as a result of Adam's original mess up.....

I find myself agreeing with this idea of IGNORANCE being the real problem more and more.

Thessalonian said:
Just curious as to how many years you think it would take for a chameleon to decide that it should do something to change it's coloration so that it could not be seen? Where is the evidence of the purple and blaze orange and yellow chamelions that did not make it because they were only one color? How does nature seem to get it right so quickly regarding what color or what physical adaptation to make so that a species will be more likely to survive. If the Darwinian natural selection were the mode you would think there would be all kinds of variations within a species for a while before the "mistakes" would die off and leave only the chameleons that could change to different colors.

Emphasis mine. This, I think, is where the misunderstanding lies. But instead of talking about chameleons, let's try a species that most of us know better - homo sapiens (humans).

There are many mistakes and issues with humans, far too many for me to list here.

The human eye is often cited as a "perfect" organ that surely indicates the design of a higher power. In reality, the eye is far from perfect. The black/white and color 'detectors' in the back of your eye are located behind a wall of blood vessels. If these vessels become blocked or otherwise damaged, serious vision problems will result. Why wouldn't a designer have avoided the problem entirely by placing the blood vessels elsewhere?

Next, the eye is very prone to nearsightedness, farsightedness, loss of focusing ability, and cataracts - so prone, in fact, that the overwhelming majority of humans ultimately develop eye-related problems, while many have such problems from birth. Why couldn't a designer have done better?

Next, take a look at your knees. A bipedal posture (two-legged) like ours is very harsh on the knees, and they are worn down gradually over time which undoubtedly causes issues later in life. Additional 'padding' or 'reinforcement' would reduce or eliminate many of these problems. Why couldn't a designer have done better?

Next, take a look at your spine. Like your knees, it's just not padded or reinforced well enough to maintain the stress from basic walking, and it too will wear down and cause problems later in life for most people. Why couldn't a designer have done better?

Next, look at the size of your skull as compared to the rest of your body. Now look at the size of the human female birth canal. As a direct result of the large size of the former and small size of the latter, millions and millions of women have died (and continue to die) merely giving birth. Why couldn't a designer have done better?

Next, notice how your reproductive system is incredibly close to your waste system. Many infections result due to this proximity. Why couldn't a designer have done better?

Next, look at your appendix. It's clearly a useless organ, with no purpose except to occasionally rupture and kill its owner. Why couldn't a designer have done better?

Next, look at your feet. Foot bone structures are very weak, and because of the pressure exerted by body weight, foot arches weaken gradually over time. Why couldn't a designer have done better?

Next, look at your genes. These things are very prone to random mutations that can cause devastating diseases and defects that not only can kill you, but can also be passed down through generation after generation to kill more people later on. Why couldn't a designer have done better?

The list goes on. But the most damning aspect of all these flaws is this: any person with even a BASIC understanding of human anatomy could have designed mankind better! How could an all-powerful designer have made such basic, stupid mistakes in mankind? Isn't it more likely that humans came together as a result of unguided, natural processes?

So, to get back to your original question, I am forced to arrive at two conclusions:

1. We have not, by any means, seen mistakes - in humans or elsewhere - "die out".

2. Your average med student could have designed a far better, more durable, and longer-lasting human.

Drew said:
Greetings Novum:

Can you clarify at all? I assume that you mean that you see no evidence, either in terms of such things as the following:

1. Any subjective experiences suggesting the presence of a divine "other" who is establishing some kind of "personal" contact with you.

2. Compelling evidence to suggest that the physical universe seems to be the product of an intelligent agent.

3. The problem of suffering - its existence suggests to you that an all-loving God does not exist.

5. The content of the moral code that Christians embrace (as distinguished from their actual behaviour as per item 4) does not strike you as being correct.

Yes, all of these issues come to mind. Things like these have, for myself and other atheists, helped bring about deconversion.

I tend to think that when people say "God told me to do x", they are not generally being truthful. Now I am not talking about audible voices - I am talking about the much more common claim that people sense mental communication with God in the form of "thoughts" that they experience as originating from a distinct "other". Subtle but important point: I am not talking about those who claim that they choose, as a matter of faith, to attribute thoughts to God, but rather those who say that the content of the experience shows this to be the case.

Well said, and very reasonable.

I have difficulty believing the accounts of such people. To keep this post short, I will simply conclude by asking whether it is at least possible that you are looking for the "wrong" subjective experiences when you introspect concerning the existence of a personal God who might be revealing himself to you?

It is certainly possible that I am looking at the "wrong" things, and my stance as an agnostic atheist requires me to re-evaluate my position should I suddenly begin seeing the "right" things.

Of course, we now have to ask a very difficult set of questions:

1. Why have I been looking at the "wrong" things?

2. What are the "right" things?

3. How do I go about seeing these "right" things?

And, as an aside:

4. Why has God prevented me, for years now, from seeing the "right" things?

Re: Teaching reznwerks about the Bible

Gary said:
Thanks reznwerks... your comments only show that you don't understand either!

The ninth commandment is, Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor. (Exodus 20:16)
Gary the REAL "Ten Commandments don't appear in Exodus 20:16
The source you give say nowhere that they ARE the "Ten Commandments" ou have to go Chapter 34 where this is the only place where it specifically statest that these are the Ten Commandments and here they are for you to peruse.(King James Version)

“ Observe thou that which I command thee this day:

behold, I drive out before thee the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite. Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest it be for a snare in the midst of thee: But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves:

For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God: Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice; And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.

Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep. Seven days thou shalt eat unleavened bread, as I commanded thee, in the time of the month Abib: for in the month Abib thou camest out from Egypt.
All that openeth the matrix is mine; and every firstling among thy cattle, whether ox or sheep, that is male. But the firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb: and if thou redeem him not, then shalt thou break his neck. All the firstborn of thy sons thou shalt redeem. And none shall appear before me empty.

Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest: in earing time and in harvest thou shalt rest.

And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year’s end. Thrice in the year shall all your menchildren appear before the LORD God, the God of Israel. For I will cast out the nations before thee, and enlarge thy borders: neither shall any man desire thy land, when thou shalt go up to appear before the LORD thy God thrice in the year.

Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven; neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.

The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God.

Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother’s milk.
======
Getting back to the claim of no commandments about lying. In the Catholic Version the eighth commandment is stated exactly as I said. There is also the PRotestant version of the Ten and the Hebrew Version of the Ten.
Now do you understand?

Just dropping by to let you all know that I have not withdrawn from this thread. 8-) I'm merely preocuppied and I don't have internet where I currently live. Therefore it takes about half an hour to get to a suitable access of internet where I live and even then it may be inappropriate to get on the net in such situations. I know this is ambiguous, but I don't enjoy giving information out about where/how I live. Had a lot to do recently, but if I ever get a chance, I will respond (hopefully in full) to your concerns. Anyway, I'm gone. Catch ya later.

Thessalonian said:
Novum,

I too am curious what this evidence of a lack of evidence is regarding the absence of God in you life.

Just curious as to how many years you think it would take for a chameleon to decide that it should do something to change it's coloration so that it could not be seen? Where is the evidence of the purple and blaze orange and yellow chamelions that did not make it because they were only one color? How does nature seem to get it right so quickly regarding what color or what physical adaptation to make so that a species will be more likely to survive. If the Darwinian natural selection were the mode you would think there would be all kinds of variations within a species for a while before the "mistakes" would die off and leave only the chameleons that could change to different colors.

Blessings

I'm curious, Thessalonian. Do you still hold this view, given the evidence against the claim that humans were designed?

The human eye is often cited as a "perfect" organ that surely indicates the design of a higher power. In reality, the eye is far from perfect. The black/white and color 'detectors' in the back of your eye are located behind a wall of blood vessels. If these vessels become blocked or otherwise damaged, serious vision problems will result. Why wouldn't a designer have avoided the problem entirely by placing the blood vessels elsewhere?

Next, the eye is very prone to nearsightedness, farsightedness, loss of focusing ability, and cataracts - so prone, in fact, that the overwhelming majority of humans ultimately develop eye-related problems, while many have such problems from birth. Why couldn't a designer have done better?

your missing the point on the "eye" thing. it being "perfect" but has so many flaws, so you say is not the point and dosnt take away from the fact that it was a "design of a higher power" the "flaws" that comes to the eye is MANS fault not he "Designers" the point is that if you think something as complicated as the eye, and how it works, could have"just accidentaly happen." isnt a well thought out thing to say imho. the eye itself is "perfect" and leads one to think "that couldnt of just accientaly happend" all those parts comming together just so you could see. thats only ONE example, there are a lot more examples of how things come together "perfectly" to work. what happens to them after they were designed has nuthing to do with the creator. the "flaws" that happen to the eye or anything else for that matter, comes from MAN and his mistakes, MAN has been screwing things up since the begining of time.
just thought id calrify the eye thing so you could undersand the point better.

jive said:
your missing the point on the "eye" thing. it being "perfect" but has so many flaws, so you say is not the point and dosnt take away from the fact that it was a "design of a higher power" the "flaws" that comes to the eye is MANS fault not he "Designers" the point is that if you think something as complicated as the eye, and how it works, could have"just accidentaly happen." isnt a well thought out thing to say imho. the eye itself is "perfect" and leads one to think "that couldnt of just accientaly happend" all those parts comming together just so you could see. thats only ONE example, there are a lot more examples of how things come together "perfectly" to work. what happens to them after they were designed has nuthing to do with the creator. the "flaws" that happen to the eye or anything else for that matter, comes from MAN and his mistakes, MAN has been screwing things up since the begining of time.

You appear to be using a different term than I am. I said the eye was not perfect and listed a number of flaws. You replied by saying that the eye is "perfect" (note the quotes) and actually works "perfectly".

Could you define "perfect" and "perfectly" for me?

Someone said that when they stop and ponder what it takes to create an automobile...how everything must come together, all parts fit and work properly, there flows the realization that an intelligent designer must have had a hand in its creation because something such as an automobile with all its intricacies cannot simply just come into existence out of nothing on its own..or for that matter, form into a perfect working machine due to some random explosion that created it out of chaos...how much more can one not look even scientifically at the vast intricacies of the Earth and the universe and the sun and how all these are set into perfect motion and fail to see that an intelligent designer had a hand in their creation. :)

CathDude said:
Someone said that when they stop and ponder what it takes to create an automobile...how everything must come together, all parts fit and work properly

Anyone who's owned an automobile for any decent length of time knows that automobiles work just fine with one (or more) parts not working.

there flows the realization that an intelligent designer must have had a hand in its creation because something such as an automobile with all its intricacies cannot simply just come into existence out of nothing on its own..or for that matter, form into a perfect working machine

Perfect working machine? I think not. See above. ;)

And this is a false analogy - this world, and everything on it, did not "come into existence out of nothing".

due to some random explosion that created it out of chaos...how much more can one not look even scientifically at the vast intricacies of the Earth and the universe and the sun and how all these are set into perfect motion and fail to see that an intelligent designer had a hand in their creation. :)

Perfect motion? There's nothing perfect about this world or the solar system. All it takes is a single asteroid a few miles wide - there are billions of these around - and all life on this planet will end. Are tornadoes, hurricanes, and tidal waves 'perfect'? How about disease, death, and decay - I suppose those are part of this perfect order as well?

And this is a false analogy - this world, and everything on it, did not "come into existence out of nothing"

how did it come into existence? and out of what?

Strawman. I do not agree that this is an adequate summary of philosophy's "attitude". Without getting too deep into details, consider that philosophy, through its philosophers, has reached and will continue to reach no shortage of findings that appear to go against "common sense".

True. I admit that I didn't define the term philosophy before I used it. Just look at the argument between Science, Empirical Science, and Philosophy as a discussion between individuals. I was trying to follow a pattern, but I think you might see that some of these abstract personages took on characteristics of one another as the discussion progressed instead of remaining true to their character. But maybe not. 8-)

Absurd according to whom? The planets orbiting around the sun was once absurd to the entirety of the population on this planet. Now, the opposite is true.

I'm glad you see my point. :D The arguments in the discussion between S, ES, and P were not all necessarily mine. In fact I am against some of them as you may have been able to tell.

Strawman again. Science, empirical or otherwise, cannot prove the existence or nonexistence of God. It also cannot prove the existence or nonexistence of unicorns, dragons, and honest politicians.

True, but we can arrive at semi-accurate conclusions on some of those matters. History and logic can disprove Santa, a lie detector could determine if a politician is honest or not (to a certain degree of reliability - not always right). I could even see unicorns as being real at some point. It's not farfetched to think so. You get one deformed horse with a sort of horn on its head and then a legend springs up about them, with fantasy diluting the reality of it. I think our brains, though, are the best God-ometers. They can take the facts and interpret them to show the probability of there being a God. The reason why there are differences between our God-ometers is because they don't have all the facts. Some have more facts than others while others have more prejudice or biases toward one interpretation over the other.

Quote:
All the world and the universe are your empirical evidence. If we can't explain the universe's existence without a creator beyond a doubt (let alone simply explain this paradox),

That's just not reasonable. We will never be able to explain anything without any shadow of a doubt remaining.

But I said: let alone simply explain this paradox... By this I meant that we cannot (as of now) simply explain this paradox using logic. So what I meant to say is that we cannot explain this beyond a doubt of course, but we cannot even explain it using logic or offer another means which logically explains the universe. Of course science and common sense, as you've said, don't necessarily go together all the time. However, our science is limited and to base your lack of faith on the limitations of our current science when it is not even logical does not seem to be a very sound choice to me.

That said, we have a pretty darn good idea nonetheless.

Of course.

Take planetary formation.

I've always wandered how planets formed exactly. Could you give me some articles and photographs on it?

Quote:
then logic and philosophy dictate that - by the patterns of the universe - there must be a creator outside of the universe (or multiverse) who created it.

1. What are the "patterns of the universe"? You haven't defined this term.

The pattern of the universe is that a creation requires a creator. I suppose even a creating force which then wouldn't require a creator in and of itself.

2. What about logic and philosophy leads you to believe this?

Bear with me as I look at this from an atheistic perspective and a theistic perspective.

Atheist: I created this text in this post. My parents created me. Their parents created my parents. Evolution created the first humans. The chance circumstances of the universe helped fuel evolution. The Big Bang - among other things - placed the world in such a position (over a great deal of time) as to make such circumstances possible which in turn fueled evolution. Something we don't know of yet but that we will figure out will cause the Big Bang or a similar event which created our universe as we know it. And then something else which we don't know of will create the events that will create the events which cause the Big Bang or some similar action which in turn created me over a long period of time. We always thought that matter or a substance isn't created out of nothing, but look at Quantum Mechanics. This seems to show that it is and that it returns to nothing. Therefore there must be an explanation other than a 'God of the gaps'.

Theist: I created this text in this post. My parents created me. Their parents created my parents. God created humans using some means which is not known. He usually uses his creation to accomplish his purposes (by looking in the Bible) so it is safe to assume he may have been acting according to the laws of science he set forth at the creation of the universe in order to accomplish this ultimate act of creation. Evolution may have occurred, but it is very unlikely that it occurred on its own without intervention (and by saying very unlikely I am understating the matter). When God 'spoke' in Genesis, his testimony was the universe. I predict that there will be no limit to the universe or to infinite regression in reasoning about how small things can get or how large or how complicated because God is infinite and he created the universe. As for Quantum Mechanics, we don't even know if the particles are vanishing into nothingness since we can't keep track of both their momentum and position at the same time to a great degree of accuracy. They may be unaccounted for in our immediate medium or else have moved to another medium. What other explanation is there to offer than the God of the gaps? The universe of the gaps? God created it, it has existed forever, or it created itself. In fact I think that we may find out that the universe has existed forever (in the concept of time) because I believe that it came from God and that God is the ultimate medium and God has existed forever. To understand the universe is to understand the mind of God.

Simply because we have not explained (or are not capable of explaining) the universe down to every last quark, why must we posit a god of the gaps to fill in the rest?

But did we in the first place or is there some truth behind it? I think I found out in the Bible - by crossreferencing passages - that people didn't start worshiping God until a thousand years after humans were created. But to not dance around the issue, I'll give you this answer: When so much is supposedly at stake, I'd rather believe in the God of the gaps than the universe of the gaps. Now this doesn't do anything to disprove or prove God, but is merely personal preference.

We are both aware of, and have observed, spontaneous creation and annihilation of particles in a vacuum through our study of Quantum Mechanics (QM).

I read a couple articles on Wikipedia about it, but I didn't find anything that would lead me to assume that these particles are coming from 'nothing'. Just that they are popping up infront of us from no apparent place that we can detect and that they concluded that they were possibly being created from nothing or returning to nothing which defied common sense. But have we been able to determine the position of these particles with accuracy (not a rhetorical question - a real concern of mine)? I think I read that at so small a level their position is represented as more of a probability than a direct position.

Quote:
Philosophy: I couldn't have said it better. The belief in anything takes faith in order to believe it

Demonstrably untrue. Take Descartes' classic maxim: "I think, therefore I am". We can posit at least one statement -- "I think" -- that appears to be true without any requirement of faith. From there, we can very easily add "I exist" to our list of faith-not-required statements

Ah. True! I was aware of that one, but I had forgotten it. :roll: Thanks for pointing it out. It is certain that I believe the way I do, but it is not certain to me that you believe the way you do or that any of this aside from me is real, etc. And some actions can fall under the category of instinct instead of faith.

Untrue - not all effects require a cause. Again, our studies of QM have demonstrably shown the existence of uncaused particles.

You mean of particles without any apparent cause. But if I am to assume that they are popping out of nothing - which I'm sure no human can currently understand how that is possible - then I would say, yes, this gives me somewhat of a reason to believe in the lack of a God, but it does nothing to disprove a God. Hmm. I do have one question though. If particles are popping out of nothing, then what's to keep a mass of something popping out of nothing right in front of you? If one particle can do it, can't more? Couldn't they just be merely displaced or unaccounted for? Wouldn't that seem more reasonable? At any rate, I think one of the articles covered this, but I forget.

Quote:
cannot be used to determine if the universe was created or is eternal, because if the universe is eternal then it had no cause but always an effect. Sorry, though, Logic, that rules you out, because now we must accept the continuity of the universe or multiverse by blind faith since we cannot prove the creation of a universe or multiverse by looking within this medium for evidence since all evidence would then be termed as possibly misleading.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Can you clarify?

Certainly (er I think :bday: )... Since we are defining the creation of the universe we cannot use what is inside the universe to define how all things (including the items we are drawing analogies between) were created or formed. Since the universe is the ultimate medium we reside in and must search for evidence in, we cannot do so because we cannot look inside the universe to define the beginning of the universe. Is this right?

Take everyone's favorite mathematical equation: 2 + 2 = 4. This statement is true because of the laws of mathematics...There is no empirical evidence to be found here, but I'm sure that doesn't stop you (or me) from believing this statement regardless.

This is an abstract concept related to empirical findings. I can tie 1 to an individual person. Then I can put them together and say 1 and 1 equal 2. If I represent i = 1, then ii = 2. Look familiar? The romans had the right idea. It's simply abstract thought related to empirical data to allow us to understand it in such a way that we can more easily manipulate it. Now try to gesture that sentence out without the abstract concept of a language. :wink:

Who, other than god, would fake empirical evidence about his existence?

Who is saying that an individual would fake evidence for the sole purpose of ruling out a God? I was saying that empirical evidence can be faked (by whatever cause, power or person) to lead others to believe that there is no God. I'm not impressing upon you a conspiracy theory here.

It is philosophy that postulates scenarios like the Matrix.

True. I stand corrected.

Yes. But as you have recognized, this statement made by philosophy and faith is not a scientific one - science was not involved in reaching this conclusion.

The philosophy for or against a creator that I'm concerned with is related to science's findings (and therefore their philosophical consequences).

Quote:
Common sense is also reconciled with Science once one understands it.

I disagree. Go back to QM again. Some of the things that QM is saying are Really. Damn. Weird. I really recommend you read about it - practically everything that comes out of QM flies in the face of common sense.

Would you agree that philosophy, as the mother of the sciences, is a big determinant on whether a scientific find is a legitimate one? For example: If I worked on a Calc problem and came up with a different answer than the one in the 'back of the book' or solutions manual, then by my experience and the difficulty of the problem I would reason that maybe the answer in the book is right and I am wrong. On the other hand, if I worked on a problem a * b = ab or on confirming the T/F statement 1 = 2 and I came up with a different answer than the book had (knowing my level of experience) I would assume that the book was in error. This happened to me in Trigonometry and happens occasionally with people. My philosophy of examining the evidence determined that my answer was right and that the book's was wrong. It turned out that I was right.

faith and hope of what new discoveries in Science may bring, or if you have logic and common sense

nor are these positions mutually exclusive.

I do not mean to say that they are mutually exclusive. I mean to ask whether you had both faith and logic, just faith, just hope, just hope and faith, logic and hope, etc. I left out science for who knows whatever reason, but the only reason I wouldn't include it now is because it is found lacking to arrive at any certain conclusion. Therefore we must examine science using logic in my opinion.

Personally, I have noted (again, personally) a lack of evidence for a supreme being based on my experiences in this world. As such, I choose to lack a belief in a kind of god.

As a 'kind of god' do you mean one of the specific gods of any religion out there?

Evolution - there is no controversy on this subject among scientists.

Who are you referring to when you say 'scientists'? And what degree of evolution are you referring to?

Practically all of biology is built around the conclusion that not only has evolution happened, but it continues to do so.

Ah, so by evolution you mean natural selection, adaptation and mutation? What are your thoughts on the formation of life and is there any evidence to support this conclusion?

Panspermia - I don't think so.

There are some people who say that this is more plausible than believing that life was formed under the conditions it would have had to for it to form on the earth. I'm not saying that they're right or even that I agree, but that they probably have their reasons for believing the way they do.

I invite you to check Wikipedia (or the internet as a whole)

I do quite often. :)

Novum said:
jive said:

You appear to be using a different term than I am. I said the eye was not perfect and listed a number of flaws. You replied by saying that the eye is "perfect" (note the quotes) and actually works "perfectly".

Could you define "perfect" and "perfectly" for me?

umm perfect: without flaw? and perfectly: perfect in motion, thats my deffanition for it anyway.
yes you said the eye wasnt perfect and listed a number of flaws.
i said the "flaws" are caused by man, to the eye. the flaws are not caused by the creator of the eye. and to say the eye could have "just accidentaly happen" is not very well thought out. the eye without the flaws man has caused, is perfect and way to ?intrucit?sp, and complicated, for all those parts to work together like they do and cause "vision"
i just wanted to clarify the diffrence between manmade problems with the eye and the eye the creator made. the main thought is of the intrucasy of the eye, and to say it "just accidentaly happend."

jive said:
And this is a false analogy - this world, and everything on it, did not "come into existence out of nothing"

how did it come into existence? and out of what?

Out of a big planetary nebula - a cosmic cloud of dust and matter. When our sun reaches the end of its life, it will supernova and ultimately collapse into another planetary nebula - then the process begins anew.

We know this because we have firsthand observational evidence of other solar systems in all of these phases: nebula, planetary formation, full solar system, supernova, and nebula.

jive said:
umm perfect: without flaw? and perfectly: perfect in motion, thats my deffanition for it anyway.
yes you said the eye wasnt perfect and listed a number of flaws.
i said the "flaws" are caused by man, to the eye. the flaws are not caused by the creator of the eye. and to say the eye could have "just accidentaly happen" is not very well thought out. the eye without the flaws man has caused, is perfect and way to ?intrucit?sp, and complicated, for all those parts to work together like they do and cause "vision"
i just wanted to clarify the diffrence between manmade problems with the eye and the eye the creator made. the main thought is of the intrucasy of the eye, and to say it "just accidentaly happend."

How, exactly, did man cause cataracts, nearsightedness, farsightedness, colorblindness, and other problems with the eye? If these issues are caused by man, how did they find their way into every culture in every corner of the world?

Did man also cause those other problems with the body I listed?

umm perfect: without flaw?

I've been debating with myself recently whether perfection is a myth. I often related it to omnipotence, omniscience, or omnipresence; as if someone who is not omnipotent is imperfect. However, that's not the case. A triangle - by orthodox means - can not be said to be a circle. This does not mean that a triangle is not a perfect triangle. It just means it can't be more than it was intended or defined to be.

Well, that's just me thinking out loud.

Back