Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world...

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
to clarify, do you think the Great Commission has been fulfilled?
Well the “Great Commission,” like the “Great Tribulation,”are men’s nomenclature encircling an idea to place it on a kind of level that wasn’t in Jesus’ words. IOW, men made it a noun like a marker for time.

Well the “Great Commission,” like the “Great Tribulation,”are men’s nomenclature encircling an idea to place it on a kind of level that wasn’t in Jesus’ words. IOW, men made it a noun like a marker for time.
Not my point. Has the command in Matthew 28 been fulfilled?

I need to read it and I’m on a phone.

Ok, I read it. Calling it “done” or not is the wrong way to see it. It’s like deciding having free education for children means educating the population is done.
Okay, I think I'm not able to show you what I mean. Maybe I'll try again in the morning.

Because it’s the good news to all men. His messengers are going out gathering his own, those who respond, into his kingdom. It isn’t to bring about the end.
You said the great commission has already been fulfilled and now you say the messengers are still going out. Maybe you could explain this better as I am confused. I do agree that the preaching of the word is not to bring about the end, but that the preaching of the Gospel still goes out into the world until the end.
The end of that age, the Mosaic law, came.
What does the Mosaic law have to do with taking the Gospel out into the world?
That doesn’t matter. The end of the age came and Paul himself wrote in the Bible that the Gospel HAD been preached to all the nations. The Bible even says it was accomplished.
It certainly does matter as we continue in that great commission from the time the Apostles were first sent out to teach others and then they went out and so on and so on. The preaching of the Gospel is for yesterday, today and forever until the door of salvation is closed forever when Christ returns. The only thing that Christ has fulfilled is the righteousness of the Mosaic law.

He has commissioned us to do will never Please show me in the scriptures where Paul wrote this Gospel has already been preached in every nation. There were around seventy nations in Paul's day and now in our time there are 195 all together throughout the whole world so I don't think the preaching of the Gospel has ever stopped.

Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. 2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. 5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

Jesus came to fulfill the righteousness of the law as we no longer live by the letter of the law, but now by faith in Christ to all who will believe.

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Jesus was made the fulfillment of Gods righteousness of the law as He is now our righteousness through faith as we are made righteous through the blood of Christ who has redeemed us from the curse of the law. Notice in vs. 18 that not all the law has been fulfilled yet as we are still under the moral laws Jesus gave to His Church in Matthew 18:15-20; 1 Corinthians Chapters 6-10 and James Chapters 4 and 5. All the law will be fulfilled when Christ returns and we are with Him forever.

There are laws (commandments) of God that were especially written just for the Hebrews pertaining to the rituals of the Temple, sacrifices, festivals, Torah, Kohanim and Levites, the King and the Nazarite. Then there are the existing moral laws (commandments) for all of us to still follow as in prayers and blessings, love and brotherhood. The poor and unfortunate, treatment of the Gentiles, Marriage, divorce and family. Forbidden sexual relations, business practices, employees and servants. Vows, oaths, swearing, Court and Judicial procedures. Injuries and damages, property and property rights, criminal laws. Prophecy, idolatry and all its practices as the moral laws (commandments) keep us in line with the will of God.

Okay Dorothy Mae for_his_glory Let me try to explain again. The Bible does command gospel preaching to unbelievers. It says that it should be done until Christ's return. HOWEVER, this command is actually not at all part of the Great Commission. The Great Commission was for the apostles' time only, and was fulfilled in the book of Acts.
You said the great commission has already been fulfilled and now you say the messengers are still going out.
Yes, messengers go out; but the command to go out is not a part of the Great Commission.

it should still be preached , but not in fulfillment of the great commission.
The preaching of the Gospel is not a fulfillment, but a continuation of the great commission found in Matthew 28:16-20 until Christ returns on the last day when all things will be fulfilled/finished. Romans 10:13-21

The preaching of the Gospel is not a fulfillment, but a continuation of the great commission found in Matthew 28:16-20 until Christ returns on the last day when all things will be fulfilled/finished. Romans 10:13-21
One could say "a continuous fulfillment." But if you'd rather use the language of continuation, then I would say:

It should still be preached , but not as in continuation of the great commission.

Okay Dorothy Mae for_his_glory Let me try to explain again. The Bible does command gospel preaching to unbelievers. It says that it should be done until Christ's return. HOWEVER, this command is actually not at all part of the Great Commission. The Great Commission was for the apostles' time only, and was fulfilled in the book of Acts.

Yes, messengers go out; but the command to go out is not a part of the Great Commission.
The great commission first started with Jesus sending the Apostles out to preach to the Jew first and then the Gentile. In Acts 2:14-41 Peter was the first to preach the Gospel and establish the first church, meaning the body of Christ with Christ being the head of the body. That day there was around 3000 people added to the first church established in Jerusalem (Not talking about a four wall building).

From there on out the Apostles, including Paul, went out making more disciples of Christ sending them out into the 70 nations that existed in their day as they made even more disciples to preach the word. As the disciples of Christ increased so did the nations as we now have around 175 nations today and those who are called and anointed by God continue within that first commission that started out as twelve and now millions throughout the world.

Actually we are all disciples of Christ through the Spiritual rebirth from above.

One could say "a continuous fulfillment." But if you'd rather use the language of continuation, then I would say:

It should still be preached , but not as in continuation of the great commission.
Whatever way you want to call it the bottom line is that the preaching of the Gospel continues today as it did in the days of the Disciples.

Whatever way you want to call it the bottom line is that the preaching of the Gospel continues today as it did in the days of the Disciples.
But not in fulfillment/continuation of Matthew 28. Matthew 28 has nothing to do with modern Christian preaching, and never did.

But not in fulfillment/continuation of Matthew 28. Matthew 28 has nothing to do with modern Christian preaching, and never did.
I can't figure out why you feel that way?
Isn't everyone on earth entitled to hear the gospel?
Of course, and if that is in accordance to the command of Jesus Christ, why quibble over "commissions"?

Well put. My view exactly.

You said the great commission has already been fulfilled and now you say the messengers are still going out. Maybe you could explain this better as I am confused. I do agree that the preaching of the word is not to bring about the end, but that the preaching of the Gospel still goes out into the world until the end.
I am not comfortable with the nomenclature “great” commission as Jesus didn’t use that description. The preaching of the gospel to all nations and then the end will come has occurred and the Bible days is has already occurred and the end of that age came. That’s what I meant.
What does the Mosaic law have to do with taking the Gospel out into the world?
Good question. When the gospel had been preached to the nations known then, the end of the mosaic age came. The temple was destroyed and the possibility of the mosaic law continuing ended permanently ended.
It certainly does matter as we continue in that great commission from the time the Apostles were first sent out to teach others and then they went out and so on and so on. The preaching of the Gospel is for yesterday, today and forever until the door of salvation is closed forever when Christ returns. The only thing that Christ has fulfilled is the righteousness of the Mosaic law.
Ok although I prefer to say Jesus continues to send out messengers to preach the gospel not saying it is a “great” commission but merely our responsibility. Otherwise I agree.
He has commissioned us to do will never Please show me in the scriptures where Paul wrote this Gospel has already been preached in every nation. There were around seventy nations in Paul's day and now in our time there are 195 all together throughout the whole world so I don't think the preaching of the Gospel has ever stopped.
This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant. Col 1:23

I was fairly surprised to read that myself. I’m pretty sure God doesn’t count literal numbers in some cases. “All” or “every” is used in cases where it cannot mean literally “every” as we think of it. In any case, after that the end of that age came.
Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. 2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. 5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

Jesus came to fulfill the righteousness of the law as we no longer live by the letter of the law, but now by faith in Christ to all who will believe.
The mosaic law concerning religious matters true. The moral law remains.
Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Jesus was made the fulfillment of Gods righteousness of the law as He is now our righteousness through faith as we are made righteous through the blood of Christ who has redeemed us from the curse of the law. Notice in vs. 18 that not all the law has been fulfilled yet as we are still under the moral laws Jesus gave to His Church in Matthew 18:15-20; 1 Corinthians Chapters 6-10 and James Chapters 4 and 5. All the law will be fulfilled when Christ returns and we are with Him forever.

There are laws (commandments) of God that were especially written just for the Hebrews pertaining to the rituals of the Temple, sacrifices, festivals, Torah, Kohanim and Levites, the King and the Nazarite. Then there are the existing moral laws (commandments) for all of us to still follow as in prayers and blessings, love and brotherhood. The poor and unfortunate, treatment of the Gentiles, Marriage, divorce and family. Forbidden sexual relations, business practices, employees and servants. Vows, oaths, swearing, Court and Judicial procedures. Injuries and damages, property and property rights, criminal laws. Prophecy, idolatry and all its practices as the moral laws (commandments) keep us in line with the will of God.
Yes, I agree.

Last edited:
I can't figure out why you feel that way?
Isn't everyone on earth entitled to hear the gospel?
Of course, and if that is in accordance to the command of Jesus Christ, why quibble over "commissions"?
Hear the gospel yes, but again, not in fulfillment of Matthew 28.

I am not comfortable with the nomenclature “great” commission as Jesus didn’t use that description. The preaching of the gospel to all nations and then the end will come has occurred and the Bible days is has already occurred and the end of that age came. That’s what I meant.
The end came and I missed it?
I think not, as I didn't see the approaching Jesus in the sky.
Good question. When the gospel had been preached to the nations known then, the end of the mosaic age came. The temple was destroyed and the possibility of the mosaic law continuing ended permanently ended.
You added "known then", when that isn't what was written.
And the end of the Mosaic age came at the resurrection of the Lord from the grave.
Ok although I prefer to say Jesus continues to send out messengers to preach the gospel not saying it is a “great” commission but merely our responsibility. Otherwise I agree.
As the word "great" wasn't originally in the bible, there is actually no change between then and now.
This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant. Col 1:23
Hyperbole.

Have you ever used the user name "Dottie"?

I thank you for your non-Christian perspective.
Assuming this isn't sarcasm (which it sounds like): Most non-Christians don't give a care about whether the Great Commission was fulfilled or not. (Only one I know of who cares about such things would be Dr. Robert Price.) Also my position is hardly non-Christian uniquely; it is preterist, and Dorothy Mae holds to it.
Why do you feel the "great commission" died with the apostles?
I don't feel that way at all.
I cited relevant passages: https://christianforums.net/threads...reached-in-the-whole-world.41388/post-1673941

Paul appears to have felt that way.

Back