Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Thoughts - Discussion- BIBLE and APOLOGETICS

BIC82

Just putting this out for discussion...Recently there has been a lot of things floating about The Bible and Apolologetics (the assumed contradictory statements in the bible)

I believe we will never understand ALL there is of the Bible (either you have faith or you do not)
Thoughts.

Just putting this out for discussion...Recently there has been a lot of things floating about The Bible and Apolologetics (the assumed contradictory statements in the bible)

I believe we will never understand ALL there is of the Bible (either you have faith or you do not)
Thoughts.
Hi, welcome to the site.
Why do you equate apologetics with "(the assumed contradictory statements in the bible)"?

Do you have any "contradictions" in mind?

Thoughts.
I believe we’ll never understand ALL there to know in medicine, physics, quantum mechanics, or psychology. Why is the Bible different? Why is understanding all even a goal? How about reaching for truth? How about desiring truth such that we know what we think is true? It’s not our hope nor opinion.

Reactions: JLB
Example Ephesians 5:18 and Proverbs 31:6-7

There is a balance of truth in God's Kingdom.

It requires wisdom, wisdom that begins with the fear of the Lord, to understand.

Example:

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Lest you also be like him.
Answer a fool according to his folly, Lest he be wise in his own eyes. Proverbs 26:4-5

Two consecutive verse that say exactly the opposite.

Which one is true?

Who is the fool? Your father, your employer, a policeman? a friend , a child, a student in your classroom?

Where does this take place? At you fathers house, at work, in a police station?

Solomon says it this way --

It is good that you grasp one thing and also not let go of the other; for the one who fears God comes forth with both of them.
Ecclesiastes 7:18 NASB

JLB

Example Ephesians 5:18 and Proverbs 31:6-7
I will expand on these two scriptures as they do not contradict each other, nor do any other scripture contradict scripture. We will never understand everything from Genesis to Revelation, but if we study the full context of scripture praying the Holy Spirit teach us then will truth be given us in things God wants us to learn.

Mat 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. (Mark 7:15-23; Romans 7:9-25)

One of the most common topics in respect to moderation is that of drinking alcohol. Ephesians 5:18 commands, “Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery.” Balance that with the fact that Jesus Himself did not completely abstain from drinking (see Matthew 11:19) and Paul’s statement to Timothy, “Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illness” (1 Timothy 5:23). Taking these verses together, it’s clear the Bible permits the drinking of alcohol, but absolutely forbids drinking to the point of drunkenness, which is excess. Some people conclude it’s better not to drink at all, and that’s perfectly acceptable, too.

A modern translation can often help.

Don't destroy yourself by getting drunk, but let the (Holy) Spirit fill your life. (Eph 5:18 CEV)

Beer and wine are only for the dying or for those who have lost all hope. Let them drink and forget how poor and miserable they feel. (Pro 31:6-7 CEV)

A modern translation can often help.

Don't destroy yourself by getting drunk, but let the (Holy) Spirit fill your life. (Eph 5:18 CEV)

Beer and wine are only for the dying or for those who have lost all hope. Let them drink and forget how poor and miserable they feel. (Pro 31:6-7 CEV)

Thus the term "do not drink to get drunk" letting things flow our of your mouth that will defile you.

.Recently there has been a lot of things floating about The Bible and Apolologetics (the assumed contradictory statements in the bible)

Apologetics is explaining what and why Christians believe what they believe.

Christianity is so simple that very young children can understand it.
Christianity is complex and confusing that university professors struggle to understand it.

Most so called contradictions can be explained by looking at the contex and looking at who they were addressed too.

Your two exam0ples are addressing two different groups of people.
Ephesians is addressing Christians, telling them not to get drunk.
Proverbs is addressing the very poor who with no hope materially or spiritually turn to drink for comfort.

Thank you makes sense to me but others around are convinced this is what makes the bible invalid and is a reason to not believe.

Thank you makes sense to me but others around are convinced this is what makes the bible invalid and is a reason to not believe.

Probably should focus on getting them saved first.

I once had a atheist challenge me on the Bible saying it’s not true. I replied it is.

He said, “like what?”
“It’s a greater pleasure to give than receive.”

He couldn’t say a word. He really enjoyed giving presents.

People are entitled to believe what they want, but what they believe should be rational.
Two questions to ask.
What do you believe? Either as a blanket what do you believe or as believe about ......
Followed by
What is your evidence for that belief?

Challenge them, christianity can be falsified, all they have to do is prove Jesus did not rise from the dead!

The sting in this is, if they can't do that, then how do they respond to John 3 : 16 to 18.
Do read or review those verses to them.

People are entitled to believe what they want, but what they believe should be rational.
Two questions to ask.
What do you believe? Either as a blanket what do you believe or as believe about ......
Followed by
What is your evidence for that belief?

Challenge them, christianity can be falsified, all they have to do is prove Jesus did not rise from the dead!
they will back into a corner while still holding on to there beliefs

they will back into a corner while still holding on to there beliefs

Atheists call themselves ' brights ' implying that they are rational as opposed to people of ' irrational faith '.

If asking them to give a rational evidenced based account for there beliefs drives them into a corner, that will expose to themselves just how irrational there lack of faith in Christianity is.

As an account of how rational Christianity is I often recommend people read John 9 the healing of a man born blind and its investigation of the healing by the Pharisees and there rejection of the result of there investigation.

Back