Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Thoughts on Joel Osteen

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
My thoughts about Joel are that I think he preaches a prosperity gospel and should be handled with caution. From a motivational perspective, he might have something to offer but from a Christian perspective I think he could be dangerous.
That's a reasonable approach.

Jesus would've showed up, anywhere. He didn't wait for the people to become holy, before he was there. He showed up and then they became Holy.
Well, Jesus wouldn't have showed up at a gay marriage because gay marriage is a very modern invention. If there was gay marriage back then, and if Jesus were to show up, the marriage would not have taken place and one or more persons would have become his follower.

Again, this has nothing to do with people being sinners, as I clearly stated, but everything to do with celebrating their sin and making it acceptable.

There are many moral issues that plague us and lack of love is the top moral issue.
Be very, very careful when throwing around such uses of love. It actually makes it seem that you misunderstand love as revealed in the Bible. Love never says it is okay to stay in your sin or that I will celebrate your sin with you. God's love demands that we change, that we "go and sin no more." He loves us too much to leave us where we are. Love is not being accepting of people's sin and especially not celebrating with them in their sin.

Would you go to the marriage of a father and daughter? How about a brother and sister? What about a marriage between two adulterers, each currently married to someone else?

Let's see...

"If" I answer his questions, he'll just put me down and tell me how wrong I am.
"If" I don't answer his questions, he'll say I'm evading him.
"If" I just ignore him, maybe he'll just go away.....

What to do, what to do.....
What to do is consider why you're in here. Why make assertions if you are not going to back them up? Why get involved in debates if you don't want to be questioned? Are you even interested in truth?

My thoughts about Joel are that I think he preaches a prosperity gospel and should be handled with caution. From a motivational perspective, he might have something to offer but from a Christian perspective I think he could be dangerous.
I agree, based on what I've heard. If he doesn't preach on sin and just makes people happy and comfortable in their sin, then there is no real need for a saviour. I suppose there might be some stuff in the NT that could be considered motivational or uplifting, but there is much more about right belief and right behaviour.

Well, Jesus wouldn't have showed up at a gay marriage because gay marriage is a very modern invention. If there was gay marriage back then, and if Jesus were to show up, the marriage would not have taken place and one or more persons would have become his follower.

Again, this has nothing to do with people being sinners, as I clearly stated, but everything to do with celebrating their sin and making it acceptable.

Be very, very careful when throwing around such uses of love. It actually makes it seem that you misunderstand love as revealed in the Bible. Love never says it is okay to stay in your sin or that I will celebrate your sin with you. God's love demands that we change, that we "go and sin no more." He loves us too much to leave us where we are. Love is not being accepting of people's sin and especially not celebrating with them in their sin.

Would you go to the marriage of a father and daughter? How about a brother and sister? What about a marriage between two adulterers, each currently married to someone else?
Please open your quoted post.
FREE said:
God's love demands that we change, that we "go and sin no more."
I believe you will find that Jesus always demonstrated His love and acceptance of the person (not their acts) BEFORE He ever told them to first straighten up in order for Him to approach them.

What to do is consider why you're in here. Why make assertions if you are not going to back them up? Why get involved in debates if you don't want to be questioned? Are you even interested in truth?
This insult of my integrity deserves no answer.
And imagine, it coming from a moderator.
Not exactly setting a good example to the rest of us, is it?
Not to mention that you get away with it.

I agree, based on what I've heard. If he doesn't preach on sin and just makes people happy and comfortable in their sin, then there is no real need for a saviour. I suppose there might be some stuff in the NT that could be considered motivational or uplifting, but there is much more about right belief and right behaviour.
This makes me wonder, have you ever tuned him in and listened to a sermon by him?

That one stuck out like a sore thumb..... "Based on what you have heard?"
Followed up with "I SUPPOSE there MIGHT be some things in the NT that COULD be considered motivational or uplifting...."

Last edited:
a wedding is the celebration of a man and woman becoming one flesh. A male gay wedding is a celebration of sodomy. I do not believe Jesus would go to such a celebration.
Then we get told Jesus spent time with the prostitute. The time with her was a celebration of her way of life. He did not use her services. I have always gotten the idea she met Him and changed her ways.

a wedding is the celebration of a man and woman becoming one flesh. A male gay wedding is a celebration of sodomy. I do not believe Jesus would go to such a celebration.
Then we get told Jesus spent time with the prostitute. The time with her was a celebration of her way of life. He did not use her services. I have always gotten the idea she met Him and changed her ways.
The point is, He knew who and what she was, yet He did not, for a moment, consider shunning her.... NOR preaching at her.

We look at things just the opposite when we demand that people change before we will associate with them, EXCEPT in the limited ways we deem "righteous."

If you are talking with them at work, are you claiming you have no idea what they are doing every night? Yet, you put boundaries on supposed "friendship" with them?

I'm just saying that is not true friendship nor love.... to me, anyway.

That one stuck out like a sore thumb..... "Based on what you have heard?"
Followed up with "I SUPPOSE there MIGHT be some things in the NT that could be considered motivational or uplifting...."
Willie, we do not all live within driving range of his, personally owned, church. Those folks must rely on people like me that have access and more importantly, have friends that attend regularly oir have quit and have moved their membership.

The truth of the matter is Joel is a powerful Motivational Speaker. For emphasis he even waves his closed copy of the Holy Scriptures for the cameras to see. His staff is rife with members of the Openly Gay Community and I have, since 1990, yet to see or to hear him teach from the scriptures. He alludes to them but never seems to teach from them.

Jesus left us with the warning against the Ear Tickling Bean Counters and with the first paragraph of Matthew 7l, the Sermon on the Mount, we are not only instructed to judge fruits, we are, also, instructed on how to judge them. I am sorry but Joel's Fruit Scent is not a pleasing smell in the nostrils of our God.

The point is, He knew who and what she was, yet He did not, for a moment, consider shunning her.... NOR preaching at her.

We look at things just the opposite when we demand that people change before we will associate with them, EXCEPT in the limited ways we deem "righteous."

If you are talking with them at work, are you claiming you have no idea what they are doing every night? Yet, you put boundaries on supposed "friendship" with them?
There is one complete sermon in "Go and sin no more."

do we know Jesus did not preach at her or do we assume He didnt?

Boone and Bill are my friends i would not go to their wedding... I will not celebrate their sin. If sally joe was celebrating her million dollar life style she got from stealing i would not go to that party either... the is a difference in my mind of accepting one another as sinners and celebrating our sin.

Willie, we do not all live within driving range of his, personally owned, church. Those folks must rely on people like me that have access and more importantly, have friends that attend regularly oir have quit and have moved their membership.

The truth of the matter is Joel is a powerful Motivational Speaker. For emphasis he even waves his closed copy of the Holy Scriptures for the cameras to see. His staff is rife with members of the Openly Gay Community and I have, since 1990, yet to see or to hear him teach from the scriptures. He alludes to them but never seems to teach from them.

Jesus left us with the warning against the Ear Tickling Bean Counters and with the first paragraph of Matthew 7l, the Sermon on the Mount, we are not only instructed to judge fruits, we are, also, instructed on how to judge them. I am sorry but Joel's Fruit Scent is not a pleasing smell in the nostrils of our God.
I'm sorry. I firmly believe we are wrong to run people down because we take other people's word for what they are saying.

do we know Jesus did not preach at her or do we assume He didnt?

Boone and Bill are my friends i would not go to their wedding... I will not celebrate their sin. If sally joe was celebrating her million dollar life style she got from stealing i would not go to that party either... the is a difference in my mind of accepting one another as sinners and celebrating our sin.
Please feel free to post the quoted sermon. Goose and gander are both assuming.

Now please note that this has absolutely nothing to do with having homosexual friends--eating with them, having them in your house, etc.--or talking to homosexuals at work or on the street. Those are not moral issues. Gay marriage is a moral issue.

All sin is a "moral issue." Yet, none are sinless. Where does that leave the equations? You'll take homosexuals as friends, but not attend their wedding? What kind of a friend would you really be? Obviously a phony self righteous one.

Attending any event does not mean we concede to any sin or celebrate any sin. Every attendant at every and any event is in fact a sinner, regardless. Yes, it is entirely possible to love sinners and hate sin. Isn't that what "we" expect from Jesus ourselves? His Love, regardless of "our sin?"

I'd suggest that there is a bit of circular logic in the above. Not much different than Peter eating with the Gentiles when the Jews weren't around, but pretending to be kosher when they were. Wouldn't want any of my believing "christian" buddies to catch me at a gay wedding. Oh, that just wouldn't do. Even though the gay people are my friends, come to my house, eat, share, etc etc.

Maybe a cave somewhere where we can express our non-celebration of moral turpitude by personal isolationism, and we can sit there and contemplate our personal righteousness in complete solitude, not tainted by all the other "immoral" sinners. Yes, that should express our moral disdain for sin quite thoroughly.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back