Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Thread about Bible reading Bible study

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I don't find any book of the Bible as being dry anymore, but all being instruction in the righteousness of God as we see Christ in each book and how we are to live a holy life in Christ. I will use Leviticus since it has been brought up. I thought it to be dry also until the Holy Spirit gave me revelation to the mysteries of God's word in that which was and that which would come in Christ Jesus.

Leviticus is God's guidebook for His newly redeemed people showing them how to worship, serve and obey a holy God. Fellowship with God through the sacrifice and obedience show the awesome holiness of the God of Israel. Ye shall be holy for I the Lord your God am holy, Lev 19:2.

Leviticus focuses on the worship and walk of the nation of God. In Exodus Israel was redeemed and established as a kingdom of priest and a holy nation. This book shows how God's people are to fulfill their priestly calling. The book is replete with figures and allusions to the person and work of Christ.

The Bible I use is called The New Open Bible KJV study edition. It contains so much more, like what I just wrote above as this is just a small part of the introduction into Leviticus. I couldn't even list all the extra study tools within it. You might want to check it out. I'm on my second one as I wore the first one out.
Now I want one of those NOBKJVs too.

I take your first sentence to be a "yes" to my question. So then, since I said "otherwise," you needn't have wasted time with your explanations, which I take it the information came from your study tools. In case you didn't get the point, Lev. by itself is dry. I'm sure your heart is in the right place, trying to defend it as an inspired work. But just because it's inspired, doesn't mean it can't be dry for the readers.
I'm sorry, yes was my answer to your question, but you also asked about chapters 13-18 and that is what I replied to. If it helps others so be it as I know it helps me in a deeper study instead of just skimming over what at first seems to be boring.

I take your first sentence to be a "yes" to my question. So then, since I said "otherwise," you needn't have wasted time with your explanations, which I take it the information came from your study tools. In case you didn't get the point, Lev. by itself is dry. I'm sure your heart is in the right place, trying to defend it as an inspired work. But just because it's inspired, doesn't mean it can't be dry for the readers.
It's a list of rules for the Jewish people isn't it? That don't apply to Christians? Excuse my ignorance for oversimplification.

It's a list of rules for the Jewish people isn't it? That don't apply to Christians? Excuse my ignorance for oversimplification.
Yes, it's mostly Old Covenant regulations regarding ceremonial worship. It doesn't apply to Christians because Jesus replaces all that. Although there is some moral law mixed in it, which does tell us about what is abominable to God. It shows us that God's holiness is so far above us that we cannot possibly attain to it, and this is why we need faith in Christ, so that God will overlook our unholiness and forgive our shortcomings.

I can only imagine that if I had to kill an animal every time I sinned, there would be no more animals in a very short time.

(Luke 24:25-27) "Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken: Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory? And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself."

(Luke 24:44) "And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me."

Quantrill

I'm sorry, yes was my answer to your question, but you also asked about chapters 13-18 and that is what I replied to. If it helps others so be it as I know it helps me in a deeper study instead of just skimming over what at first seems to be boring.
Ok, I got to ch. 19 today, and I must say that it really is inspirational, because ch. 19 has much depth and direct link to Ex. 20 and much of the NT.

Ok, I got to ch. 19 today, and I must say that it really is inspirational, because ch. 19 has much depth and direct link to Ex. 20 and much of the NT.
I really like the cross references my Bible gives as when you dig deeper you glean so many great pearls you never realized where there. I use to skip over the OT, especially the begats in Genesis 5 until I found out how important every book of the Bible leads us to know Christ throughout the Bible from Genesis to Revelations. The word of knowledge the Holy Spirit gives us is priceless.

Yes, it's mostly Old Covenant regulations regarding ceremonial worship. It doesn't apply to Christians because Jesus replaces all that. Although there is some moral law mixed in it, which does tell us about what is abominable to God. It shows us that God's holiness is so far above us that we cannot possibly attain to it, and this is why we need faith in Christ, so that God will overlook our unholiness and forgive our shortcomings.

I can only imagine that if I had to kill an animal every time I sinned, there would be no more animals in a very short time.
I used to not care about that OT stuff too, but I was curious about how the Temple administered the Law and saw that most, if not all, sins against God required animal sacrifice while sins against fellow Men required confession/atonement to the victim. Two types of sin requiring two different requirements to make it "right". Thus the two summed up in Christ's command to #1: Love God with all your heart. #2 Love thy neighbor as thyself.
Meaning that our present often preached/practiced lumping all sin into the same pile is not quite right. Christ gave two commands with the second referring to the OT practice of atoning to others(to THEIR reasonable satisfaction) whom we've sinned against. This is glossed over so frequently. A form of avoiding accountability to each other.
Christ summed up the OT with TWO laws because there were TWO basic ways of atoning. One way (sacrifice to God) and the other atonement to fellow Man. Asking God to forgive all my sins in one swipe w/o doing atonement to those we wronged is incomplete/lazy/cowardly.
If the character on My Name is Earl could do it....surely we are called to do so.
What I'm getting at is....I would never have looked into that w/o looking at the "boring" stuff in the OT.

No, From Genesis to Revelations is all God's instruction into righteousness. You can't have the NT without the OT as all of it brings us to the knowledge of God, His Son Christ Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

I used to not care about that OT stuff too, but I was curious about how the Temple administered the Law and saw that most, if not all, sins against God required animal sacrifice while sins against fellow Men required confession/atonement to the victim. Two types of sin requiring two different requirements to make it "right". Thus the two summed up in Christ's command to #1: Love God with all your heart. #2 Love thy neighbor as thyself.
Meaning that our present often preached/practiced lumping all sin into the same pile is not quite right. Christ gave two commands with the second referring to the OT practice of atoning to others(to THEIR reasonable satisfaction) whom we've sinned against. This is glossed over so frequently. A form of avoiding accountability to each other.
Christ summed up the OT with TWO laws because there were TWO basic ways of atoning. One way (sacrifice to God) and the other atonement to fellow Man. Asking God to forgive all my sins in one swipe w/o doing atonement to those we wronged is incomplete/lazy/cowardly.
If the character on My Name is Earl could do it....surely we are called to do so.
What I'm getting at is....I would never have looked into that w/o looking at the "boring" stuff in the OT.
Concerning your statement "our present often preached/practiced lumping all sin into the same pile is not quite right" - if you want to really see a rise of offense out of people in a Bible study, try saying "there are degrees of sin." But if you do that, be prepared to quote scripture and explain.

Everything in the OT alludes us to Christ in the NT as being our Priestly King, the sacrificial Lamb of God as we find Christ all through the OT. There was nothing new under the sun that Christ taught in the NT that was not already spoken of by God and found written in the OT.

Always pray first Warrior and ask The Holy Spirit to guide you .
I would start off with Matthew and Psalms.
Perhaps read and stop if your mind starts wandering, and sit for a while meditating on what you have read. Make yourself notes on it.

If you belong to a church they may have study guides yo help you.

Remember we all need to get to know our Lotd and Saviour better. The bible is where you will fond Him and you will find a lot of love there.

The more you read the mire you will want to.
Don't give up Warrior.
Thank you for the suggestion

I might be wrong, but It seems like you are trying to possibly read it like an ordinary book that one picks off a shelf and starts with chapter one. I use to read each book chapter by chapter just getting maybe the jest of it and that wasn't working out to well for me as I really wasn't learning much.

It was when I learned to pray first and ask the Holy Spirit to teach me is when my eyes were opened to that which God wanted me to learn and not just what I wanted to learn. Instead of book by book, chapter by chapter I now read and study it a word at a time verse by verse in what ever book I am reading. I will not leave a verse until I understand what is written and then I move on to the next verse until the Holy Spirit has led me through the whole chapter. By doing this I see so many new revelations of the mystery of God's word unfold before me that makes me hunger for truth.

A lot of times I visualize certain parts like a movie running through my mind like Joshua going into battle as the angel of the Lord goes before him, or like seeing Moses leading through the desert and manna falling from heaven. I visualize Jesus sitting on the Mt of Olives speaking and teaching the disciples. I put myself there in all the events that happened as it brings the whole Bible alive to me word by word, verse by verse, chapter by chapter and book by book as it draws me so much closer to know Christ and my relationship with Him.
Visualisation! That's good advice, thank you.

Back