Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Tithing - The Truth Please

Has it occurred to anyone that your 'increase' can also be a spiritual increase? Can we give of ourselves spiritually?

What about our time? What about those who already have money but need your time?

Can you give of your spiritual resources and time?

Example: At the church I used to go to, they decided to do up the mother's room. Using tithes they were able to buy the paint and other accessories for the room but guess what? The paint sat there and sat there and no one painted the room. One day I volunteered my time (which is precious when you have young children) and a friend and I painted that whole room from top to bottom...including a mural. Ok it was 3 days...but you get the picture.

My point is, that money is no use if no one tithes their time or themselves. Money is no use when a rich man is sick and needs someone to cook his meals for him. Money is no use when a woman who's just lost her baby needs a shoulder to cry on.

Somehow, in all the talk of the almighty dollar...these things are forgotten!

When was the last time you tithed your time? When was the last time you used your spiritual gifting and helped someone?

Diaconeo said:
I'm don't know what it is that some have against 'tithing' or why others insist that it's a sin not to 'tithe'. I don't really care either way. My objection is in the one side telling me that I'm sinning for not giving a legalistic 'tithe' as commanded under the Law, and the side screaming at me about the evil of modern churches in paying a 'professional' staff who labours in ministry full time. Both sides need to get off their soap boxes and start practicing Christian love and follow the commands of giving gracefully to those that labour in the ministry and also for the support of our brothers and sisters in that have need.

In Christ,
Matthew

Hey Matthew, from the sound of your speaking above it seems that you might consider your "soap box" also, or maybe its okay for you to tell those one "both sides" what they need to do.

And which "ministry of labor" should be supported? Any old "ministry", just find one that meets your preference and support away?

Matthew, "tithing" is not the problem,.... poor ministry is.

In love,
cj

Merry Menagerie said:
Has it occurred to anyone that your 'increase' can also be a spiritual increase? Can we give of ourselves spiritually?

Its the NT way MM,...... no other way to give to God.

Under the Law of Moses there was a prescribed physical way, but this Law is no more.

In the early chapters of Matthew we find where scripture declares that there were righteous men on the earth, and yet scripture also declares that no man is righteous.

What gives?

The Law was man's covering while it was in place, but once the Law was removed/fulfilled/replaced by the Person of whom the Law was only a shadow, this Person Himself becomes/became our covering.

And to become one who is brought into and thus under this Covering, we must be a person who gives first place to spiritual things.

Do you know what is lacking on this earth today,.... what is lacking in the expression of believers today,........... our moving in the realm of God, the spirit realm.

There is a whole lot of physical expression, but very little spiritual expression.

And most of all, this is what God is after, and is gaining, in the remnant today.

As in the OT type of the remnant returning to rebuild the walls of the city and the temple of God, so also today, God has a remnant who are, in His mercy and grace, returning to the kingdom of God, His city, His way of living and being.

God is Spirit, and those who live by Him, for Him, with Him, and unto Him,.... do so in spirit, and in truthfulness.

Romans 8:14, "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God."

Romans 8:16, "The Spirit Himself witnesses with our spirit that we are children of God."

In love,
cj

NRoof said:
Wages we earn are not a form of increase. Why so many people can't seem to understand this escapes me.
So enlighten me then

I thought it was pretty much common sense that when a farmer plants seed, and harvests 60 to 1000 times what he planted, that the increase aspect of that activity was evident for everyone to understand.

When you go to work, give of your time and effort through labor to your employer in exchange for money, how does that qualify as a form of increase? It's a direct exchange. The OT gives us no example or command whatsoever of wage earners required to hand over any portion of their wages for the support of the Levites or the poor.

The carpenter was not required to hand over every tenth chair he produced. The clothiers were not required to hand over every tenth garment they produced. Can you show me where the wage earner was required to hand over a tenth of his earnings for a tithe? I can't show you a verse that says that they didn't have to, only because there was no command for them to do as many people assume these days, which is an assumption from utter, complete silence so far as I can see. Do you know of something I missed?

It was given to the apostles to do Gods work. This would include providing for the poor, widows and such. It's also not unreasonable to believe that some of the money was used to provide food and such for the apostles.

It seems reasonable that the apostles may have been supported by what was laid at their feet. Acts 4:35 makes it clear that it was all distributed according to the need, without any mention of the apostles themselves receiving their support from what was given. Remember, it's reasonable that they may have gotten something from what was given, but not necessarily a given since we're told nothing of the kind.

What I find truly interesting about your response to this is you most assuredly knew exactly what I was saying the first time but decided to be extremely legalistic about my words to try and prove your point.

For the sake of clarification, I am not a legalist. When I speak of the Law, I point mostly to the Spirit behind the Law, for it reflects His sense of perfect justice and provision in a fallen world. So, it's not so much the letter of the Law to which I point as it is the Spirit from whom the Law came.

What does a pastor (head elder) do? Does he not spend his time preaching the Gospel.

Head elder? Where is that job description in scripture. Peter was an elder, as was Paul. Intermixing traditional elements of organized religion into the Biblical definitions has always been a song and dance of transliteration within organized religion for many centuries. Most people's views tend to reflect the idea that they see the term "pastor" on almost every other page of the NT. It's been my obervation that Paul spent FAR more of his writing addressing the people than he did the leadership.

As for preaching the Gospel, how many hours out of the week does he spend doing that? Very few. How many of those men preach to the lost? Again, very few, and yet within organized religion, it's expected that he make his entire living off the people. I simply can't find support for such idea in the NT scriptures.

It seems reasonable to observe that Paul spoke more about the itinerant evangelist and church planter than he did the local elders. We see no example of local elders making their entire living off the people around them, to the extent that they're no longer productive citizens within their respective communities. Again, that's just another injection into the texts what simply isn't there. Do you know of such an example of elders receiving their entire living off the people? I can't find it. I have no problem with their being reimbursed for expenses incurred through their service to the people to whom they minister.

It's very easy to misrepresent Paul's words in all this this because of his lack of multilineal distinctives and particulars. It's just too easy to inject into this particular text what isn't there, and make it sound reasonable to the lesser, and/or non-critical mind.

[quote:82b7c]Again, just because someone is chosen as an elder within organized religion doesn't make him a true, legitimate elder of the calibre we see within scripture.
So again enlighten me.[/quote:82b7c]

How can I enlighten you about something that is supported only by complete silence from the scriptures? What authority dictates that leadership within organized religion is biblically qualified? An assumption by massas of ignorant people isn't an authoritative basis upon which to rest one's case that organized religion is the entry point into biblical leadership. It doesn't require much power of observation to recognize how many religious leaders out there who are teaching false doctrine, therefore giving us a pretty good basis upon which to question every aspect of their leadership. It's also true that we can legitimately question the masses of elders who couldn't effectively teach if their very lives depended on it, even though organized religion elevated such men (and women) to an office with that label.

I'm glad I amuse you but perhaps you should try reading before coming to a conclusion. Notice in my post I said tabernacle and not temple. You being so picky on words should have caught this but then again it wouldn't support your theology. Let me give you a hand on this. Exodus 25

I noticed the distinction. My being a stickler to the original point I made isn't an indication that your choice of words escaped me. 8-)

Now out of general curiosity I have a question for you.
Are you Henry?

Sounds like you know someone who shares similar views to my own. No, my name isn't Henry. It's Darrel.

Merry Menagerie said:

Absolutely.

What about our time? What about those who already have money but need your time?

Good point, and I agree.

Can you give of your spiritual resources and time?

I don't see why not.

Somehow, in all the talk of the almighty dollar...these things are forgotten!

From my perspective, these things are a given as to their need.

BTW

The Problem with Organized Religion-

Webster’s modern Dictionary has the following as a definition for “religion†- “belief in God or gods to be worshipped, usually expressed in conduct and ritual; any specific system of belief, worship, etc., often involving a code of ethics.â€Â

The Bible does talk of organized religion, and in many cases the purpose and impacts of "organized religion" is not something that God is pleased with. I have listed a few examples of where religion is described in the examples below. I have also given some suggestions as to how to understand God’s desire for His believers to be organized. I hope that the following will be somewhat of an eye opener.

Genesis 11:1-9: The descendents of Noah organized themselves to build the tower under the belief system that if they could build it tall enough they would be saved. They believed that their unity was more important than their relationship with God. God stepped in and confused their languages, thus breaking up this religion.

Exodus 6 and following: God had given promises to Abram (Abraham) concerning a special relationship between his descendents and God. However, we see this “organized†for the nation beginning at the exodus and working through the history of the Israelites. The Ten Commandments, Tabernacle, sacrifice system, etc. was all organized by God and to be followed by the Israelites. Further study of the New Testament clarifies that the end product of this religion was to lead the follower to Christ (Galatians 3; Romans 7). However, many have misunderstood this and have worshipped the elements rather than the True God.

Judges and following: Much of the conflicts experienced by the Israelites involved the conflict of religion. Examples include: Baal (Judges 6; 1 Kings 18); Dagon (1 Samuel 5); Molech (2 Kings 23:10). God used these religions to display His power by defeating them.

The Gospels: The Pharisees and Sadducees represented organized religion at the time of Christ. Jesus constantly confronted them about their false teachings and hypocritical lifestyles. Many of them changed from this organized religion – Paul is one example.

The Epistles (letters): There were organized groups that mixed the gospel with certain lists of required works. They also sought to put pressure on believers to accept this new religion. Galatians and Colossians give warnings about such.

Revelation: Even in the end times, organized religion will have an impact on the world as the Antichrist sets up the world religion.

In most cases the end results of “organized religion†distracts from the intent of God. However, the Bible does speak of organized Christians (believers) that are part of His plan. He calls them the Church (collectively rather than separately). The descriptions from the Book of Acts and the Epistles provide direction that the Church is to be organized, and the local believers in each city and nation being interdependent, which is not the case today. Organization can lead to protection, productivity and outreach Acts 2:41-47). Today, however, we have schismatic disunity, each denomination competing for the handful of believing "church-hoppers".

In the ideal situation, we should be living out an “organized relationship†with each other, with no plan to reach God (since He has reached out to us). There should be no pride (for all is received by grace). There should be no squabbles over leadership (for Christ is the Head – Colossians 1:18). There should be no prejudice (for we should all be one in Christ – Galatians 3:28).

Today, organized religion sees itself, its real estate, and its buildings as the rightful depository of believer's primary giving, therefore willfully turning a blind eye to the commands and examples within the very scriptures it claims to reverence. It sees no problem absorbing the majority of that primary portion for its own agendas of expansion, broadening of influence, and wealth. The resulting system of thought, therefore, within organized religion today is that the end justifies the means, in that the potential for reaching the lost and meeting needs justifies the extravagant expenditures upon things rather than people's genuine needs.

Meeting needs is not the highest good we can do for our fellow believers. That was never the aim. The primary purpose for meeting needs has always been to release our fellow believers from a focus on bare bones survival so that they too can be a blessing, rather than a burden, to others around them. It's so simple, and yet so much ignored by the masses who claim to follow Christ Jesus. It doesn't require a Ph.D. to recognize the fact that, based upon the Gospels, Jesus would spend little to no time at all within any of our institutions. The example of His life doesn't show us any emphasis whatsoever upon the system of organized religion (in that day) and its assumed benefits. He stood in stark contrast to organized religion rather than basking in its light. He was/is the Light within which we should bask, not a light that's man-made.

BTW

Most organizations have a purpose and an objective, and to achieve these objectives, there needs to be procedures and resources. The resources would include money, men and machinery. In the case of religions, the men and machinery combine in the form of missionaries. When we have too many men for the same purpose, a hierarchy sets in, and when we have a hierarchy, there would naturally be division of work and responsibilities. So, as Men of God empower themselves with power and money, all the problems associated with an organization also find their way into the system.

Most organizations are effective and depending upon the will and morale of the people involved, it will deliver the results. If we bother to look around, we find that the best organizations are those with the most effective people on top. What needs to be understood here is that effectiveness and efficiency have nothing much to do with being virtuous. In fact, we find this true most of the time, i.e. the virtuous ones are never the most effective ones. It's this simple fact that makes it dangerous for us to shroud religion with any organizational clothing.

Religion, as a process, has more to do with the human mind than body. Though human beings can be highly deceptive at times in suppressing their thoughts, it's essentially the way one thinks that comes out as action. Religions and true religious leaders have always motivated us to indulge only in noble thoughts and virtuous actions. It's therefore highly imperative that such religious processes always led by virtuous leaders rather than efficient and effective ones. The inevitability of any organizational approach is exactly the opposite of this essential criterion. The moment we combine religion with organization, the latter aspect starts dominating, and ‘unwanted’ elements will always come to the top. All the shameful news (pedophilia, etc.) we hear about within organized religions these days are basically reflections of this unholy amalgamation.

Therefore we have in our midst a historic practice so deeply set into the foundations of most people's understanding that the majority of the masses are unable to think outside the box of religious conventionality. The broad acceptance of pouring the primary portion of one's giving into religious organizations, rather than following the biblical examples and commands, continues merrily onward as is evidenced by the increasing numbers of large mega-churches and architecturally sophisticated structures in the place of simple construction that suits the intended purpose. This speaks of the fact that we have an increasing number of efficient and successful organizers, but who lack biblical, moral virtue. If they had the virtues exemplified by God's word, they would desire upholding the many examples and commands concerning the priorities in giving by meeintg needs long before pouring one red cent of it into things that will perish with this world. Elevating organizational considerations above that of meeting needs is a naked exposure of the severe lack of moral virtue in those who lead within such organizations.

BTW

Guys,

The answer to these questions once again goes back to the Roman Catholic Church. If you will study the history of this group you will find that not only did they begin this 'tithe or die' tradition but also found many other ways to bilk the congregation of their hard earned gold and silver. Exactly what Martin Luther saw and despised.

If one has a 'true' relationship with God then that individual will know when and what God wants them to give just as the modern Church teaches that 'They' are the ones that know what God would have done with your money.

It's certainly about sacrifice. Build your treasure in heaven and not here on earth. And it's not only about giving but about love. We are not to love money or wealth. If so, it doesn't matter how much you give your heart is still in the wrong place.

Oh yeah, and BTW, you already have the answers to your original questions. You have obviously read the Bible and realize that the 'tithe' of today is nothing more than tradition brought about from the greedy hearts of the men that controlled organized religion. You obviously realize that the 'true' Christian gives freely from the heart and a 'true' Church that was following God would NEVER have to beg for or cause it's congregation to feel guilty in order to support itself.

Imagican said:
The answer to these questions once again goes back to the Roman Catholic Church. If you will study the history of this group you will find that not only did they begin this 'tithe or die' tradition but also found many other ways to bilk the congregation of their hard earned gold and silver. Exactly what Martin Luther saw and despised.

Can't argue with that. However, my emphasis wasn't upon tithing or not tithing. I don't believe there's a requirement to tithe in the NT, but if one chooses that for himself, then that's fine with me. My main beef has been about people handing over the primary portion of their giving to organized religion, which is known to mostly abuse that portion.

It's certainly about sacrifice. Build your treasure in heaven and not here on earth.

And yet we see organized religion trying to build treasure in both places.

And it's not only about giving but about love. We are not to love money or wealth. If so, it doesn't matter how much you give your heart is still in the wrong place.

Yes.

BTW

Imagican said:
Oh yeah, and BTW, you already have the answers to your original questions. You have obviously read the Bible and realize that the 'tithe' of today is nothing more than tradition brought about from the greedy hearts of the men that controlled organized religion. You obviously realize that the 'true' Christian gives freely from the heart and a 'true' Church that was following God would NEVER have to beg for or cause it's congregation to feel guilty in order to support itself.

True indeed. Additionally, as I've said already, an organization led by men whose hearts are truly rooted in God's word would also prioritize the expenditures of that institution secondarily to the meeting of needs.

BTW

BeforeThereWas said:
The fact remains that there was currency then as there is currency now. The Law of God laid no requirement upon the wage earner to tithe from his wages.
Could you please tell me what form of currency the Israelites where using when God gave Moses the Law?

BeforeThereWas said:
We're told at no point that Jacob ever went through with his promise. It's also a given fact that Jacob's offer to God was based upon no requirement, and it's not at all a good example to anyone in relation to giving when we observe all the strings Jacob attached to his offer of giving the Lord a tenth.
Okay, I can see where this is going. You really don't want an "...intelligent discussion on all this rather than knee-jerk reactionism and ad hominem (personal attacks) such as accusing those who don't tithe of being greedy. Such a rash, blind judgment serves only to distance the accuser from reality." You seek to convert everyone to your point of view.

So, if tithing isn't for us today, then none of the blessings associated with tithing are ours to receive. Doesn't that contradict 2 Corinthians 1:20? I mean, if you choose not to receive those blessings, that's up to you. Personally, I'd rather not pass on anything that God has for me.
BeforeThereWas said:
Hebrews 7:6 (NLT) "But Melchizedek, who was not even related to Levi, collected a tenth from Abraham.

I disagree. Melchizedek collected nothing. Abraham freely gave him a tenth of other people's property, based upon no requirement. There's no indication that Melchizedek was there to "collect" anything.
Now you're playing with semantics. Interesting that the Bible says, "...collected a tenth..." and you say, "Melchizedek collected nothing". Also interesting that here you disqualify this principle because there is no "requirement", i.e., law. Then you disqualify the Mosaic Law. As far as the Bible is concerned, you're wrong on this point.

BeforeThereWas said:
I don't see anywhere that scripture declares organized religion's buildings to be "house of God," of that such things are a legitimate replacement of the storehouse within the OT temple. I have money in my cloths that says when hard times come, your "church" will be turning people away because of its lack of not being a TRUE storehouse like that within the temple, and also because of its disobedience to the Law it claims as its authority to collect tithes. Yes, organized religion's very big on pointing at the Law upon which Malachi was standing, but when it comes to DOING with the tithe exactly what that same Law demanded, well, they suddenly have no time to discuss that portion of the Law because it renders their practices to be anti-biblical and anti God. That Law strips away the facade that gives the appearance of piety, when in fact it's little more than avarice for organized religion to take from the poor so that it can errect its buildings and allow the givers to lavish their own giving right back upon themselves. Jesus said that what we do to the least of His brethren, we do unto Him. Look at how much organized religion has taken from the Lord, all the while purveying the idea that giving into its coffers is somehow synonymous with giving to God.
That doesn't give you an excuse to reject God's Word. And if you're in a gathering of believers that you don't trust, you need to find another place to worship.
BeforeThereWas said:
As for Malachi, well, he was addressing a people who were still under the obligations of the Law. We're no longer under such obligations, unless you can show me otherwise.
First, you don't seem to understand the purpose of the Law. Romans 2:18 tells us that we learn from Law. Why are you so quick to discard it? Second, if we are no longer under the obligations of the Law, then why did Jesus emphasize the Love Commandments in Matthew 22:37-39? Why did He tell the rich young ruler to give everything he had to the poor?

BeforeThereWas said:
4) Where does God's word redefine wages exchanged for labor as a form of increase, such as what is seen from the fields and herds?
Consider Mark 12:41-44.

This fails to answer my question. Please elaborate what you see in those verses that offers an answer.
The widow gave two coins (currency), and Jesus commended her for it, because it was all that she had (taking us back to the rich young ruler).
BeforeThereWas said:
I don't know if I would go so far as to assign the apostles to a class labeled "professionals". Also, one will search in vain to find where the local leadership ceased to be productive citizens of their respective communities, therefore sponging off the people. We do see in scripture itinerant church planters and evangelists receiving their living from the people to whom they ministered.
Today's apostle is a full-time job, just as it was with Paul. How else can an apostle establish churches if they have to fulfill your law by keeping a job?
BeforeThereWas said:
Leaders must fulfill the qualifications of 1 Timothy 3. There is no automatic qualification for leaders.

Then most don't qualify. Good point.

BTW
You really do need to find a different church. If the leadership of our church does not meet the requirements of 1 Timothy 3, what hope do we have that Jesus will ever come for His Bride?

I'm reminded of those in the Bible who studied God's Word but did not understand it. First, the Ethiopian Eunuch (Acts 8) who wanted to understand, but didn't have a Holy Spirit revelation. Then there where the scribes and pharisees who where looking for a literal king instead of a spiritual king. So, which are you? I'm curious to see how you can manipulate Haggai 1:1-11 to conform to your "I don't have to if I don't want to" attitude.

I am simply amazed at you all who would reject the blessings and accept the curses associated with the tithe.

kwag_myers said:
Could you please tell me what form of currency the Israelites where using when God gave Moses the Law?

The context of my comment concerning currency was within the nation after it had entered the Promised Land, not while they were wandering through the desert. They were not required to tithe until AFTER the appointed place had been established in the land. Currency did indeed develope, as BAR Magazine (Biblical Archaeological Review) and others have recognized for many years.

Okay, I can see where this is going. You really don't want an "...intelligent discussion on all this rather than knee-jerk reactionism and ad hominem (personal attacks) such as accusing those who don't tithe of being greedy. Such a rash, blind judgment serves only to distance the accuser from reality." You seek to convert everyone to your point of view.

Yeah...right. As you can see in my posts, I also provided an address where people can send me their tithes and offering since I'm looking for a following... :roll:

What this has to do with is people recognizing what the Bible says. If you have something of legitimate substance, then by all means, you're free to share it for us all to take into due consideration.

So, if tithing isn't for us today, then none of the blessings associated with tithing are ours to receive. Doesn't that contradict 2 Corinthians 1:20? I mean, if you choose not to receive those blessings, that's up to you. Personally, I'd rather not pass on anything that God has for me.

A mere question doesn't legitemize a doctrinal belief. I can play that game as well: Why do you suppose Paul, who dealt mostly with Gentile believers, was completely silent about any requirement to tithe.

I wasn't the one who made the initial claim that tithing is still a requirement today, so it's only natural, therefore, to question as to where the support for such a requirement is contained in God's word; considering that the tithe was tied directly to the temple (which no longer exists) and the Levites (who are no longer a valid priesthood).

I never said that tithing is wrong, in and of itself. I have, however, questioned the claims from silence that we are still obligated to tithe today, and that we are to hand that tithe over to organized religion, which is well known for its abuse of that portion of people's giving.

Hebrews 7:6 (NLT) "But Melchizedek, who was not even related to Levi, collected a tenth from Abraham.

The KJV says, "But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises." I realize some of the other translations say "taken" or "collected" the tithe. Abraham gave a tenth, based upon no compulsion, of the spoils, which was property that never belonged to him in the first place. It was the act itself the scriptures reference, which doesn't negate the importance of whose property it was that Abraham gave a portion.

The IRS takes, collects the tax against our wages, which is nowhere in scripture classified as a form of increase. Even though most people hand it over to the IRS outside of force, it's still a lawful requirement, therefore justifying the terminology of "take" and "collects" in reference to the activities of the IRS. This simply isn't the case with Abraham. He offered a tenth of someone else's property freely and without compulsion. Under the Law, the compulsion was there for the people to pay a tithe, just as we today, in relation to our paying income taxes, are required to hand over our tax money to the IRS.

Now you're playing with semantics. Interesting that the Bible says, "...collected a tenth..." and you say, "Melchizedek collected nothing".

I've already quoted the KJV, which does indeed support what I said above. Also, casting shadows upon the fact that I focus upon key words, what's the alternative? Blind assumption? For crying out loud, words mean things. We understand each other by way of our use of words that effectively and accurately convey the intricacies of our thoughts.

Also interesting that here you disqualify this principle because there is no "requirement", i.e., law. Then you disqualify the Mosaic Law. As far as the Bible is concerned, you're wrong on this point.

So, what's the alternative? Continue picking and choosing from the Law what happens to suit one's fancy, that benefits a particular dogma and/or agenda? Why stop there. Let's also pick and choose which of the beatitudes are relevant and which aren't. Come now. Let's be reasonable. If you're going to say that the Law of tithing is still binding today, then why not the Law disallowing the wearing of garments woven with more than one kind of fiber? It's just too convenient to pull forth those Laws from which we can drive the greatest benefit. James said in James 2:10, "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." Also see Luke 16:16, "The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it. God's moral Law is still relevant today since it transcends all time and peoples. The provisional, ceremonial, and cultural Laws are no longer binding upon us today.

That doesn't give you an excuse to reject God's Word. And if you're in a gathering of believers that you don't trust, you need to find another place to worship.

If you're going to accuse me of rejecting God's word simply because I question the assumption that man-made, organized religion is the legitimate replacement of the temple and the Laws governing the tithe, then at least legitemize your accusation with facts. Additionally, where do you see anything within scripture that's at all similar to our system of schismatic institutions, and their being supported by the primary portion of believer's giving? It's a very common practice among religionists like you to falsely accuse others because you can't cite even one legitimate, biblical reference back it all up.

First, you don't seem to understand the purpose of the Law. Romans 2:18 tells us that we learn from Law. Why are you so quick to discard it?

I didn't discard anything. I have already demonstrated your hypocrisy by pointing out that you are not following the Law yourself. You can't, and neither can any of the rest of us. Besides, the context of the above reference you gave is a question in observation of those who would be called Jews, not a statement to the rest of us to accept the burden of all the Law upon ourselves.

Second, if we are no longer under the obligations of the Law, then why did Jesus emphasize the Love Commandments in Matthew 22:37-39?

To whom was Jesus speaking? Was He not talking to a people who were still under the Law? Yes. He was.

Why did He tell the rich young ruler to give everything he had to the poor?

Are you saying that the Law required rich men to give their wealth to the poor, therefore impoverishing themselves? Where is that located in the Law?

Excuse me, but you appear to be assuming something into that reference that is nowhere supported within those verses or the context. What in those verses supports the assumption that wages were a form of increase as defined within the Laws governing the tithe? There is a difference between the tithe and the temple treasury.

The widow gave two coins (currency), and Jesus commended her for it, because it was all that she had (taking us back to the rich young ruler).

For someone who touts the Law, You sure are ignorant of its intricacies. The tithe was ONLY a tenth of the increase of produce and livestock. The temple treasury was not produce or livestock, as you can see in those verses. It was silver, gold, and perhaps even precious gems. Do you even know what that treasury was used for? Have you ever studied that?

Today's apostle is a full-time job, just as it was with Paul. How else can an apostle establish churches if they have to fulfill your law by keeping a job?

I clearly said that there's no problem with an itinerant servant of the Lord receiving his earnings from the people to whom he ministers. I only questioned the false assumption that the Bible shows even one example of local elders, anywhere in the NT, receiving all their living from the people, therefore ceasing to be productive citizens within their respective communities, as is practiced today within organized religion.

You really do need to find a different church.

There's only ONE true Church, and that is the Church that Jesus has built. There is no other true Church. So, what are you suggesting I join? I'm not a member of organized religion, if that's what your talking about. Why would I want to be a part of organized religion? I prefer fellowship and mutual edification to religious exercise.

If the leadership of our church does not meet the requirements of 1 Timothy 3, what hope do we have that Jesus will ever come for His Bride?

The bride exists and will be taken to Heaven independent of the existence of leadership within organized religion. What are you basing your assumption upon that says organized religion is the earthly expression of Christ's Church? We are all on equal footing, even with Paul, Peter, James, and all the rest, for we are all brethren in Christ Jesus.

I am simply amazed at you all who would reject the blessings and accept the curses associated with the tithe.

I am equally amazed that you think that, on your own authority, you can transplant a promise given to a specific people, at a specific time, under specific circumstances, over to us today. So far you've engaged much emotional argumentation without any legitimate, scriptural support.

BTW

Excuse me, my mistake. I was under the impression that all the promises are mine through Christ Jesus. Apparently, I need to find a scripture that specifically says, "Kwag, you must tithe" before I continue to do so.

Why do you suppose Paul, who dealt mostly with Gentile believers, was completely silent about any requirement to tithe

...it's only natural, therefore, to question as to where the support for such a requirement is contained in God's word; considering that the tithe was tied directly to the temple (which no longer exists) and the Levites (who are no longer a valid priesthood)

... I have, however, questioned the claims from silence that we are still obligated to tithe today, and that we are to hand that tithe over to organized religion, which is well known for its abuse of that portion of people's giving.

...If you're going to say that the Law of tithing is still binding today, then why not the Law disallowing the wearing of garments woven with more than one kind of fiber?

... If you're going to accuse me of rejecting God's word simply because I question the assumption that man-made, organized religion is the legitimate replacement of the temple and the Laws governing the tithe, then at least legitemize your accusation with facts. Additionally, where do you see anything within scripture that's at all similar to our system of schismatic institutions, and their being supported by the primary portion of believer's giving? It's a very common practice among religionists like you to falsely accuse others because you can't cite even one legitimate, biblical reference back it all up

...For someone who touts the Law, You sure are ignorant of its intricacies. The tithe was ONLY the increase of produce and livestock. The temple treasury was not produce or livestock, as you can see in those verses. It was silver, gold, and perhaps even precious gems. Do you even know what that treasury was used for? Have you ever studied that?

...I clearly said that there's no problem with an itinerant servant of the Lord receiving his earnings from the people to whom he ministers. I only questioned the false assumption that the Bible shows even one example of local elders, anywhere in the NT, receiving all their living from the people, therefore ceasing to be productive citizens within their respective communities, as is practiced today within organized religion

There's only ONE true Church, and that is the Church that Jesus has built. There is no other true Church. So, what are you suggesting I join? I'm not a member of organized religion, if that's what your talking about. Why would I want to be a part of organized religion?

...What are you basing your assumption upon that says organized religion is the earthly expression of Christ's Church?

...I am equally amazed that you think that, on your own authority, you can transplant a promise given to a specific people, at a specific time, under specific circumstances, over to us today. So far you've engaged much emotional argumentation without any legitimate, scriptural support.

"Does not wisdom call out?
Does not understanding raise her voice?" (Prov.8:1)

:angel: :angel: :angel:

kwag_myers said:
Excuse me, my mistake. I was under the impression that all the promises are mine through Christ Jesus. Apparently, I need to find a scripture that specifically says, "Kwag, you must tithe" before I continue to do so.

Good point. I agree that God's moral Law is indeed still intact, but the practice of transplanting promises without the penalties for disobedience is a form of selectivity that the Lord never authorized. You're right. We are blessed through Christ Jesus, not by the Law.

BTW

BeforeThereWas said:
kwag_myers said:

Good point. I agree that God's moral Law is indeed still intact, but the practice of transplanting promises without the penalties for disobedience is a form of selectivity that the Lord never authorized. You're right. We are blessed through Christ Jesus, not by the Law.

BTW
But not the blessings promised to those who keep the tithe, is that it?

THE LAW OF THE TITHE by Michael Clark

I have always found it interesting how certain church teachers have selected certain portions of the Jewish law to carry over into this new and living covenant of faith in Jesus Christ, then force the Gentile church to follow these Jewish laws and customs which our so called "leaders" pick and choose for their own convenience and well being and for the survival of their man made institutions.

The doctrine of tithing is such an example. It is clearly an old covenant law:

You shall truly tithe all the increase of your grain that the field produces year by year. And you shall eat before the LORD your God, in the place where He chooses to make His name abide, the tithe of your grain and your new wine and your oil, of the firstborn of your herds and your flocks, that you may learn to fear the LORD your God always.

But if the journey is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry [the tithe, or] if the place where the LORD your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, when the LORD your God has blessed you, then you shall exchange [it] for money, take the money in your hand, and go to the place which the LORD your God chooses. And you shall spend that money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen or sheep, for wine or similar drink, for whatever your heart desires; you shall eat there before the LORD your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household. (Deuteronomy 14:22-29).

When a man forces this law on the people to insure for himself a steady income, or salary, he puts himself and his church under a curse, not a blessing. He also ceases to live by faith. You see, Paul is teaching here that you can't pick and choose when it comes to the law. As we saw from Galatians chapter three, if you follow the smallest portion of it you must keep "everything written in the Book of the Law" perfectly.

In Galatians chapter five Paul continues this theme.

Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. . .For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. "A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough."

When you try to build a strong argument for legalistic tithing from the New Testament, you are really hard pressed to find any scriptural backing. It is interesting that a practice so heavily taught today in churches is barely mentioned by the New Covenant writers.

They only mentioned the practice of tithing in four places:

Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. (Matthew 23:23, NIV).

Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone. (Luke 11:42, NIV).

Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: "God, I thank you that I am not like other men--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get."

But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, "God, have mercy on me, a sinner." I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted. (Luke 18:10-14, NIV).

Just think how great he (Melchizedek) was: Even the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the plunder! Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth from the people--that is, their brothers--even though their brothers are descended from Abraham. This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he (Melchizedek) collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises. And without doubt the lesser person is blessed by the greater.

In the one case, the tenth is collected by men who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living. One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham, because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor. (Hebrews 7:4-10).

In the first two passages, Jesus is chastising the self-righteous Pharisees for tithing, while at same time leaving what matters most undone like justice, love (mercy), and faithfulness. He seems to be saying that they should not have left justice, mercy and love undone in favor of their tithing. Jesus is blasting the Pharisee who stood before God boasting of his regular tithing on the one hand, while He commended the hated tax collector for approaching the alter in humility and getting the forgiveness that he asked for. Wouldn't this have been an excellent chance for Jesus to make it clear how important it is for His church to tithe? Instead, He stresses the importance of showing mercy, doing justice, and walking humbly before God (Micah 6:8).

In the Hebrews passage the author is showing us that Jesus was not of the Levitical priesthood, but of a higher order of authority by comparing him to the mysterious prince and priest of Salem (now called Jerusalem), Melchizedek. Abraham gave Him ten percent of his spoils of war after rescuing his nephew, Lot, from some heathen kings. Here once again Jesus in the form of Melchizedek fulfilled the law of the tithe with the help of Abraham, the man of faith.

For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek. For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof. For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope (Jesus) did; by the which we draw nigh unto God. (Hebrews 7:17-19, KJV).

It amazes me that throughout the entire New Testament , neither Jesus nor the Apostles stressed how important that it is that the Gentiles should tithe to their Churches, yet, today it is one of the most repeated teachings coming from our pulpits. As Shakespeare wrote in Hamlet, "The lady doth protest to much, methinks."

Look at the contrast of Paul's heart concerning taking from the Church.

I will not be burdensome to you for I seek not what is yours, but you, for the children ought not save up for the parents, but the parents for the children. And I will gladly spend and be spent for you.(2 Corinthians 12:14,15).

Now you are probably saying, "If this is so, how are we going to support all our buildings and pastoral staffs?" The New Testament church didn't see this as a problem. Those who were doing the work of ministry were walking by faith. These men and women trusted God to meet their needs and often worked to support themselves and others. These believers practiced giving to the poor and the needy ( See Acts 2:44-45, 4:32; James 1:27; I John 3:17-18), and were encouraged to support the ministries feeding them (see I Corinthians. 9:9 and I Timothy 5:18). They often gave their whole fortunes, not just ten percent, because of the overwhelming love of God for the lost, the needy and His ministers. But there were no salaries and no buildings to support, just hearts that supplied the needs of all in need out of love.

BeforeThereWas said:
The context of my comment concerning currency was within the nation after it had entered the Promised Land, not while they were wandering through the desert. They were not required to tithe until AFTER the appointed place had been established in the land. Currency did indeed develope, as BAR Magazine (Biblical Archaeological Review) and others have recognized for many years.
Well, I've looked over Leviticus 27 and Numbers 18, and I see no stipulation to that effect. It appears to be for the current location and time. Only in Deuteronomy (12) is the tithe specified for after the crossing of the Jordan.

BeforeThereWas said:
What this has to do with is people recognizing what the Bible says. If you have something of legitimate substance, then by all means, you're free to share it for us all to take into due consideration.
Okay, what does the Bible say about tithing:
Deuteronomy 14:23b-26 (NLT), "...The purpose of tithing is to teach you always to fear the Lord your God. Now the place the Lord your God chooses for his name to be honored might be a long way from your home. If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds and take the money to the place the Lord your God chooses. When you arrive, use the money to buy anything you want-an ox, a sheep, some wine, or beer."

There's your exchange for currency, unless you have one of your lame excuses for disqualifying it.

Choose not to tithe...
Malachi 3:6-9, "I am the Lord, and I do not change. That is why you descendants of Jacob are not already completely destroyed. Ever since the days of your ancestors, you have scorned my laws and failed to obey them. Now return to me, and I will return to you," says the Lord Almighty. But you ask, `How can we return when we have never gone away?' Should people cheat God? Yet you have cheated me! But you ask, `What do you mean? When did we ever cheat you?' You have cheated me of the tithes and offerings due to me. You are under a curse, for your whole nation has been cheating me."

But for those who keep the tithe:
Malachi 3:10-12, "Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do," says the Lord Almighty, "I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it in! Try it! Let me prove it to you! Your crops will be abundant, for I will guard them from insects and disease.

Your grapes will not shrivel before they are ripe," says the Lord Almighty. "Then all nations will call you blessed, for your land will be such a delight," says the Lord Almighty."

I'll take 10-12 if you don't mind (and even if you do, 'cause I'd rather serve God that man's opinion). If you want to bring a curse on yourself, go ahead.

BeforeThereWas said:

A mere question doesn't legitemize a doctrinal belief. I can play that game as well: Why do you suppose Paul, who dealt mostly with Gentile believers, was completely silent about any requirement to tithe.

I wasn't the one who made the initial claim that tithing is still a requirement today, so it's only natural, therefore, to question as to where the support for such a requirement is contained in God's word; considering that the tithe was tied directly to the temple (which no longer exists) and the Levites (who are no longer a valid priesthood).
You didn't answer the question, but more importantly, you are ignorant of the temple and priesthood in its current form:

1 Corinthians 3:16, "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?"

1 Peter 2:5, "Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ."

We are the temple and the priesthood.
BeforeThereWas said:
Now you're playing with semantics. Interesting that the Bible says, "...collected a tenth..." and you say, "Melchizedek collected nothing".

I've already quoted the KJV, which does indeed support what I said above. Also, casting shadows upon the fact that I focus upon key words, what's the alternative? Blind assumption? For crying out loud, words mean things. We understand each other by way of our use of words that effectively and accurately convey the intricacies of our thoughts.
Words mean things unless you decide that those words where spoken to a specific group of people, or Old Testament Law, or, let's see, what are some of the other lame excuses you've used to reject God's Word...Then they apparently mean nothing to you. You can't have it both ways, either accept the entire Word, or none at all.
BeforeThereWas said:
Also interesting that here you disqualify this principle because there is no "requirement", i.e., law. Then you disqualify the Mosaic Law. As far as the Bible is concerned, you're wrong on this point.

So, what's the alternative? Continue picking and choosing from the Law what happens to suit one's fancy, that benefits a particular dogma and/or agenda?
This is exactly what you are doing. "I'll take the moral laws, but not those other ones." You should read your own postings.
BeforeThereWas said:

If you're going to accuse me of rejecting God's word simply because I question the assumption that man-made, organized religion is the legitimate replacement of the temple and the Laws governing the tithe, then at least legitemize your accusation with facts. Additionally, where do you see anything within scripture that's at all similar to our system of schismatic institutions, and their being supported by the primary portion of believer's giving? It's a very common practice among religionists like you to falsely accuse others because you can't cite even one legitimate, biblical reference back it all up.
Acts 4:34-35, "There was no poverty among them, because people who owned land or houses sold them and brought the money to the apostles to give to others in need."
BeforeThereWas said:
First, you don't seem to understand the purpose of the Law. Romans 2:18 tells us that we learn from Law. Why are you so quick to discard it?

I didn't discard anything. I have already demonstrated your hypocrisy by pointing out that you are not following the Law yourself. You can't, and neither can any of the rest of us. Besides, the context of the above reference you gave is a question in observation of those who would be called Jews, not a statement to the rest of us to accept the burden of all the Law upon ourselves.
Romans 10:12, "For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him."

Galatians 3:28, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."

Romans 8:15, "For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father." If the Jews are God's Children, and we are adopted, doesn't that make us Jews?
BeforeThereWas said:
Second, if we are no longer under the obligations of the Law, then why did Jesus emphasize the Love Commandments in Matthew 22:37-39?

To whom was Jesus speaking? Was He not talking to a people who were still under the Law? Yes. He was.
Here we go again with the "He wasn't speaking specifically to me, so that doesn't count".
BeforeThereWas said:
Why did He tell the rich young ruler to give everything he had to the poor?

Are you saying that the Law required rich men to give their wealth to the poor, therefore impoverishing themselves? Where is that located in the Law?
No. All of your original questions are seem to concern money. You seem to be looking for justification in not tithing, when you should be willing to give it all.
BeforeThereWas said:

Excuse me, but you appear to be assuming something into that reference that is nowhere supported within those verses or the context. What in those verses supports the assumption that wages were a form of increase as defined within the Laws governing the tithe? There is a difference between the tithe and the temple treasury.
Increase (Deuteronomy 14:22) according to Strongs - teb-oo-aw'

1) produce, product, revenue

a) product, yield, crops (of the earth usually)

b) income, revenue

c) gain (of wisdom) (fig)

d) product of lips (fig)

By its very definition, increase means wages. Or do you have a problem with Strongs, too?
BeforeThereWas said:
You really do need to find a different church.

There's only ONE true Church, and that is the Church that Jesus has built. There is no other true Church. So, what are you suggesting I join? I'm not a member of organized religion, if that's what your talking about. Why would I want to be a part of organized religion? I prefer fellowship and mutual edification to religious exercise.
Hebrews 10:25, "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some [is]; but exhorting [one another]: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching."
BeforeThereWas said:
If the leadership of our church does not meet the requirements of 1 Timothy 3, what hope do we have that Jesus will ever come for His Bride?

The bride exists and will be taken to Heaven independent of the existence of leadership within organized religion. What are you basing your assumption upon that says organized religion is the earthly expression of Christ's Church? We are all on equal footing, even with Paul, Peter, James, and all the rest, for we are all brethren in Christ Jesus.
I thought this was about tithing. You keep talking about organized religion. As for the Bride of Christ, Jesus is coming for a Bride without spot or wrinkle. That includes the leadership. Why do you think God is judging and cleaning up the Catholic Church? Judgement begins in the House of God.
BeforeThereWas said:

I am equally amazed that you think that, on your own authority, you can transplant a promise given to a specific people, at a specific time, under specific circumstances, over to us today. So far you've engaged much emotional argumentation without any legitimate, scriptural support.

BTW
The only authority I have is that which God has given me. Now you have your scriptural support. The scriptures that I gave before don't seem to meet with your ridiculously high standards. Maybe you should cut them out of you Bible. They obviously don't apply to you, and don't mean anything to you. Go ahead, cut them out. You don't need them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't "shekels" the currency used after the old convernant was established into law?

I can recall men being charged in shekels by way of fines for certain offences?

Back