Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

To Fat To Kill

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

Death row inmate says he’s too overweight to be executed

Attorneys for Ronald Post say he is too overweight to be executed (Ohio Dept. of Rehabilitation and Correction

Lawyers for a 480-pound death row inmate in Ohio say their client is too overweight to be put to death. "Indeed, given his unique physical and medical condition there is a substantial risk that any attempt to execute him will result in serious physical and psychological pain to him, as well as an execution involving a torturous and lingering death," reads the filing made on behalf of Ronald Post, 53, who was convicted of shooting to death hotel clerk Helen Vantz 29 years ago.

Post, who is set to be executed by lethal injection on January 16, 2013, says that his executioners would encounter several problems, including difficulty finding a viable vein for injection and the likelihood that with his unusual weight he would break any gurney used in the process.
The Ohio prison system relies on lethal injection in cases resulting in execution.
Ohio is tied nationally with Kansas for the 13th highest obesity rate in the country, with 29.6 percent of its residents listed as overweight.

However, in a statement, Post's federal public defender, Joseph Wilhelm, said the confession used to convict his client was also exaggerated.
"Post's case is about more than his weight, and his life should be spared for reasons wholly unrelated to his obesity," the statement reads.
The Associated Press reports that this is not the first case in which a death row inmate has attempted to use his weight to escape execution.

In 1994, a federal judge in Washington State ruled that 400-pound Mitchell Rupe was too heavy to be hanged and instead was eventually sentenced to life in prison. Rupe died in confinement in 2006.

However, other heavyset inmates have not fared so well in their pleas, such as in the cases of Richard Cooey in 2008 and Christopher Newton in 2007. Still, both of those men each weighed 200 pounds less than Post.
Newton, who was also from Ohio, had his execution delayed for two hours while prison staff struggled to find a vein to administer his lethal injection.
The U.S. and 20 of the world's 198 countries officially sanction the death penalty, according to Amnesty International. The group reports that the U.S. executed 43 individuals in 2011. Of those, five executions were carried out in Ohio.

China is believed to have executed the largest number of individuals, though exact figures are not known. Amongst nations that have reported their number of executions, Iran leads the list, with at least 360 individuals executed in 2011.

ok. so to attempt to kill will cause undue physical harm? uh yeah that is what the death penatly is for. to end YOUR life cause YOU murdered!

Here is an insane idea. Stop feeding him! He will lose weight, then you can execute him.

Seriously, how did the prison system allow this guy get so big?

Another thought is why they allow these people this much time between sentencing and carrying out the sentence.

Once these people have been convicted prison should be a punishment. I dont get how bad guys can phone their victoms etc... This guy did not get fat off 3 meals a day.

Commaseiry (sheesh canteen) stuff should be only for those who behave them selfs... not for selling and traiding in the system.

Executions are suppose to be completely painless. Is that because that's how these murderers killed their victims, painlessly? Also, there's something wrong with prison when people can get obese, or stay obese, in there.

Another thought is why they allow these people this much time between sentencing and carrying out the sentence.
It can take quite a long time to go through the all the steps that must be completed before carrying out capital punishment.

Executions are suppose to be completely painless. Is that because that's how these murderers killed their victims, painlessly?
No, that's because we're better than that. We should never rejoice in anyone's death, and I don't believe that we should intentionally make it more painful that it has to be either.

It can take quite a long time to go through the all the steps that must be completed before carrying out capital punishment.

The only reason it does take this long is because our "justice" system has made it so. This needs to be streamlined and more efficient methods found. There are plenty of ways of accomplishing this while reducing pain (if we really must).

I can't imagine the actual act being any more painful than the mental anguish of knowing you are going to die because of something you did, especially the amount of time there is between conviction, sentencing, and the carrying out of the sentence. If they carried it out within weeks, not years, of the sentencing, we would not be in this situation.

The only reason it does take this long is because our "justice" system has made it so. This needs to be streamlined and more efficient methods found. There are plenty of ways of accomplishing this while reducing pain (if we really must).

I can't imagine the actual act being any more painful than the mental anguish of knowing you are going to die because of something you did, especially the amount of time there is between conviction, sentencing, and the carrying out of the sentence. If they carried it out within weeks, not years, of the sentencing, we would not be in this situation.
Ecclesiastes 8:11
Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil

No, that's because we're better than that. We should never rejoice in anyone's death, and I don't believe that we should intentionally make it more painful that it has to be either.

The death penalty shouldn't be painless and peaceful. Not for sadistic reasons, but to make the death penalty more of a deterrent. Lethal injection, like the very rare use of the death penalty or the decades on death row, render the death penalty as a non-deterrent.

Innocent people die every day because we don't use the death penalty in an effective manner.

I'm not saying I agree with the time it takes for the sentence to actually be carried out, but after sentencing comes the appeals. Capital punishment is already a touchy subject (even more so in light of all the people who's convictions have been overturned), and a lot of people wouldn't stand for the justice system cutting that time short. Like I said, I don't think it should take so long, but I don't blame the justice system.

The death penalty shouldn't be painless and peaceful. Not for sadistic reasons, but to make the death penalty more of a deterrent. Lethal injection, like the very rare use of the death penalty or the decades on death row, render the death penalty as a non-deterrent.

Innocent people die every day because we don't use the death penalty in an effective manner.
Torture would be a pretty powerful deterrent, but that doesn't mean we should use it.

OK, I'm going to approach this issue from a sarcastic point of view.

The reason why he is so fat in prison is probably because they feed him the same type of "healthy" food we're all told to eat, which people have been doing, and are sicker and fatter than ever. Yeah, I'm sure the prison has lots of "grains" (maybe more like cheap pasta and noodles, macaroni and cheese), along with fruits and vegetables, (well maybe the canned variety, but hey, they are low in fat and sodium). Forget the saturated fats. That's in meat and butter which the prison systems are not going to spend that kind of money for such "unhealthy" food anyway. Rather eat the cost-efficient healthy foods they dish out and then they wonder why the guys over 400 pounds?

But the good news is this --- don't stop feeding him this carpola. Rather, just keep feeding him more and more and more and he'll die of a heart attack or stroke sooner than they can ever execute the guy. :lol

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back