Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Tongues and Interpretation

Amazed

My question is complicated, but I am going to start simple.
When a believer prays in tongues through the Holy Spirit, he/she is praying to God am I correct? When a believer prophecies he/she is speaking God's will to man, am I correct?
Nevetheless, I often hear an interpretation of tongues addressed from God to man. For example, the speaker in tongues stands up and gives a message. Then, an interpretor stands up and might say "Listen my children. Thus saith the Lord..." or in other words, the "interpretor" gives a prophetic word rather than a translation.
This seems incorrect to me. If we pray to God in tongues, shouldn't a translation demonstrate such?

I don't believe there have been any prophets after the time of Christ.

Zechariah 13:
1 "On that day a fountain will be opened to the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and impurity.

2 "On that day, I will banish the names of the idols from the land, and they will be remembered no more," declares the LORD Almighty. "I will remove both the prophets and the spirit of impurity from the land. 3 And if anyone still prophesies, his father and mother, to whom he was born, will say to him, 'You must die, because you have told lies in the LORD's name.' When he prophesies, his own parents will stab him.

4 "On that day every prophet will be ashamed of his prophetic vision. He will not put on a prophet's garment of hair in order to deceive. 5 He will say, 'I am not a prophet. I am a farmer; the land has been my livelihood since my youth. [a] ' 6 If someone asks him, 'What are these wounds on your body ?' he will answer, 'The wounds I was given at the house of my friends.'

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on this but I believe this occurred around the time of Christ. Why else have we had no prophets in over 2000 years? We have had false ones (such as Muhammad, and many people claiming to have seen the time of end [also a lie]), but it's been utter silence in terms of scripture and true prophesies since the time of Christ.

amazed, if you want to better discuss this, without those that dont believe in the modern day gifts and miracles chiming in.pm me
i am charismatic and have been baptised in the holy ghost.

Amazed said:
When a believer prays in tongues through the Holy Spirit, he/she is praying to God am I correct? When a believer prophecies he/she is speaking God's will to man, am I correct?
Nevetheless, I often hear an interpretation of tongues addressed from God to man. For example, the speaker in tongues stands up and gives a message. Then, an interpretor stands up and might say "Listen my children. Thus saith the Lord..." or in other words, the "interpretor" gives a prophetic word rather than a translation.
This seems incorrect to me. If we pray to God in tongues, shouldn't a translation demonstrate such?
Actually the tongues was a prophetic word to the church from god that the interpreter interpreted.

ORwarriOR said:
Thats odd I have seen you in many threads ORwarriOR, and i have yet to see you agree with a biblical doctrine yet. Have you ever read the bible, do you disagree with everything it says? (believe or not this is an honest question.

scripture says.
Ephesians 4
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Remember this was written by Paul to the church in Ephesis after the death and resurrection of Paul, and the until we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ, has yet to be fulfilled so according to scripture there are still to this day Apostles, prophets, pastors, evangelist, and teachers.

watchman F said:
shad said:
jasoncran said:
i am charismatic and have been baptised in the holy ghost.

You mean you speak in so-called tongues.
Shad, you do not believe in the gifts of the Spirit either???????

When I was an AOG member I asked them if they speak in tongues and everyone I asked answered yes. They also encouraged me to ask God to give me this gift and I shall receive. I was a new believer that time and I gave them a benefit of the doubt and asked them to pray for me to give me the gift. One Wednesday night we all prayed for me for this gift. And I did not get it.

Now I am more mature in the Lord, I dont trust them any more when they talk about the gift of tongues. God does not give us everything we ask. It is so childish to believe that an entire congregation has the same gift.

Shad are you saying you believe in the gift, and that you are mad because God didn't ''give it'' to you. Or are you saying no one receives the gift of tongues?

watchman F said:
Shad are you saying you believe in the gift, and that you are mad because God didn't ''give it'' to you. Or are you saying no one receives the gift of tongues?

Why would I be angry at God?

Please read my post and don't put your words in my mouth.

What I am saying is they are fake. This is my conviction.

watchman F said:
ORwarriOR said:
Thats odd I have seen you in many threads ORwarriOR, and i have yet to see you agree with a biblical doctrine yet. Have you ever read the bible, do you disagree with everything it says? (believe or not this is an honest question.

scripture says.
Ephesians 4
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Remember this was written by Paul to the church in Ephesis after the death and resurrection of Paul, and the until we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ, has yet to be fulfilled so according to scripture there are still to this day Apostles, prophets, pastors, evangelist, and teachers.
I would also add:

Act 21:10 While we were staying for many days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. (ESV)

Rom 12:6 Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; (ESV)

1Co 12:7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit,
1Co 12:9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
1Co 12:10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. (ESV)

1Co 13:8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.
1Co 13:9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part,
1Co 13:10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. (ESV)

1Co 14:4 The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church.
1Co 14:5 Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up.
1Co 14:22 Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is a sign not for unbelievers but for believers.
1Co 14:31 For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged,
1Co 14:32 and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets.
1Co 14:39 So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. (ESV)

1Ti 4:14 Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. (ESV)

Clearly Paul did not think that prophecy ended with Christ.

Amazed, in churches that use tongues, when a message in tongues is given it is supposed to be a message to the congregation from God for edification of the whole body. That is why the interpretation of tongues is usually given in the manner that you describe. If you will notice, in a church service where the message in tongues is given for the body (and the interpretation) it is usually given in a different manner than when individuals simply are praying to God in tongues. So, for those churches that use tongues, it is a two way street-- man communicates with God through the spirit and God communicates to man through the spirit. I hope that answered your question above.

Mujahid, I have not seen a video on-line that I consider to be legitimate tongues, but I also have not gone searching. The few I have seen sat very wrong with me. Maybe someone here will point you to a legit video.

I don't mind speaking with anyone privately on the topic of tongues either.

well Shad, the gift of tongues is different from the other spiritual gifts because it edifies the individual rather than the entire body. because of this, i believe tongues is a gift that is available to every individual christian. the problem is that people dont believe in it anymore. and by the way, when We read 1 Co.12,14, it seems that this entire Corinth congregation had the gift of tongues. in fact so many people had the gift that it was causing chaos and disruption in the church.

watchman F said:
ORwarriOR said:

scripture says.
Ephesians 4

I was saved by the holy spirit and I read through the bible in under a month. I do thorough research on all my beliefs, and if I can be disproved I can accept it, but if there's room for argument, then usually there is good reason. I don't disagree with ANYTHING in the bible. I do however disagree with a lot of man-made doctrines.

How many major or even minor prophets have their been since Johns vision of revelation? Can you name me a few?

ORwarriOR said:
watchman F said:
ORwarriOR said:

scripture says.
Ephesians 4

I was saved by the holy spirit and I read through the bible in under a month. I do thorough research on all my beliefs, and if I can be disproved I can accept it, but if there's room for argument, then usually there is good reason. I don't disagree with ANYTHING in the bible. I do however disagree with a lot of man-made doctrines.

How many major or even minor prophets have their been since Johns vision of revelation? Can you name me a few?

Hey OR,

Reading the Bible is a life long journey, not a book that should be read within a certain time limit. Sometimes our understanding can change when even reading the same passage just a few days later.

I have steered from the Bible in the past, having thought I had received all I needed from it. It was an absolute mistake and I urge you to continue to read it daily. I was someone who wanted to read spin-off books from the Bible, to gain more understanding, yet all I ever needed was right in front of me, within the Bible.

Keep reading and ask God for understanding. We're all searching !

shad said:
watchman F said:

Well apparently you too have no regard for scripture.

Amazed said:
I tend not to believe in tongues, with one exception. The exception would be when someone speaks in tongues in the presence of one or more people, and someone understands what is being said. Otherwise, tongues seem to me to serve no purpose.

watchman F said:
shad said:
[quote="watchman F":30imflko]Shad are you saying you believe in the gift, and that you are mad because God didn't ''give it'' to you. Or are you saying no one receives the gift of tongues?

Well apparently you too have no regard for scripture.[/quote:30imflko]

You are abusing the Scriptures. Your interpretation is all out of context.

elijah23 said:
Amazed said:
I tend not to believe in tongues, with one exception. The exception would be when someone speaks in tongues in the presence of one or more people, and someone understands what is being said. Otherwise, tongues seem to me to serve no purpose.
Its purpose is explained in 1st Corinthians 14..
1st Corinthians 14
26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

The reason for tongues, interpretations, and prophesies is so that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

shad said:
watchman F said:
Well apparently you too have no regard for scripture.

You are abusing the Scriptures. Your interpretation is all out of context.
Show me where I did so, tell me what Ephesians 4 is actually saying? Then we will see who distorts and or abuses scripture ;)

Back