Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Tongues and Interpretation

watchman F said:
shad said:
[quote="watchman F":3hiep4kp]Well apparently you too have no regard for scripture.

You are abusing the Scriptures. Your interpretation is all out of context.
Show me where I did so, tell me what Ephesians 4 is actually saying? Then we will see who distorts and or abuses scripture ;)[/quote:3hiep4kp]

Your inconstancy of your logic is good enough to dismiss you. Take a look at your logic of oneness doctrine.

I have a policy that I won't have discussion with Universaliss and Oneness beliervers.

This is the end of our discourse. No one can have reasonable discussion with illogical people.

good day.

Well, can someone please bring this scripture into light: 1 Co. 14:2- "For ANYONE who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God..."

shad said:
watchman F said:
shad said:
You are abusing the Scriptures. Your interpretation is all out of context.
Show me where I did so, tell me what Ephesians 4 is actually saying? Then we will see who distorts and or abuses scripture ;)

Your inconstancy of your logic is good enough to dismiss you. Take a look at your logic of oneness doctrine.

I have a policy that I won't have discussion with Universaliss and Oneness beliervers.

This is the end of our discourse. No one can have reasonable discussion with illogical people.

good day.
Ahh, so you cannot explain why you dismiss Ephesians 4, so instead you will dismiss the question. We still see who the deceiver is here.

shad said:
Or trinitarian or those that believe in the gifts of the spirit anyone that accepts scripture as truth you pretty much despise huh?

watchman F said:
Its purpose is explained in 1st Corinthians 14..
1st Corinthians 14
26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

The reason for tongues, interpretations, and prophesies is so that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

I don't think I've ever actually heard of two or more people speaking in the same tongues at the same time with someone who could interpret. I could be wrong, and maybe I'm just a doubter, as well as the prophesy thing, but really what's the point of prophesy nowadays. We've had 2000 years of silence and our cannon is closed. All things that needed to be said in the name of God have been said, and now we just juggle with interpretations and fight over the word. Maybe there will be messengers of God for clarification and maybe that can be considered prophesy(?), who knows; but I do know that thinking there are people with correct future revelations gives me a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach due to this verse:

Matthew 6:34 (NIV)
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I don't think Christ would have said this then in turn started giving people future revelations that they would constantly have in their mind. Because in all honesty, can you really say someone would have a future revelation and then not constantly be thinking about it/telling it to people? We are to live with only today in mind, the nature of prophesy completely goes against this.

watchman F said:
The reason for tongues, interpretations, and prophesies is so that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
If I speak in a tongue that no one understands, including myself, how does anybody benefit?

Mmmm I got thinking about it a little bit more, and maybe I was wrong to say that there are no prophets. However if that is the case, I don't think prophets even know that they are prophets so they can be in accordance to Matthew 10:34. I believe if there is prophecy it is subtle, something laid out in almost a cryptic message or something that those who it applies to won't know about it until after it has come to pass, so that their faith may be strengthened and they may be comforted. Because now that I think about it, and I'll just use my own personal examples, there have been song lyrics and such that I have read, and never understood or even considered as prophesies, and then certain events have come to pass and I just sit there awestruck at how much they apply to me.

So I suppose I do have slight faith in prophesy but not in the terms of people claiming they are prophets; or in obvious future revelations. I believe those who claim they are prophets can be singled out as false prophets, but rather those who don't even know it and lay out subtle messages for comfort are the true ones from God. That way the glory of the prophesy goes to God 100%, rather than the prophet ;)

Elijah23, tongues in individual prayer is very benefilcial because the Holy Spirit prays for you in the will of God. Rom. 8:25-27 explains this

elijah23 said:
watchman F said:
If I speak in a tongue that no one understands, including myself, how does anybody benefit?
That is why it says if there is no interpreter keep silent.

ORwarriOR said:
Matthew 6:34 (NIV)
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I don't think Christ would have said this then in turn started giving people future revelations that they would constantly have in their mind. Because in all honesty, can you really say someone would have a future revelation and then not constantly be thinking about it/telling it to people? We are to live with only today in mind, the nature of prophesy completely goes against this.
#1 Jesus did give people prophecies of the future after He made this statement. Jesus even prophesied Himself of the future after He made that statement.
#2 Not all prophetic words are about the future.

Throughout all of scripture, there is two types of prohesies. The prophecy of a Prophet, and the prophecy of a prophetess.

When the church comes together into one place, the manifestation of tongues with interpretation and prophecy. The prophecy is that of the prophetess. That is because the manifestation of prophecy comes from the body of Christ which is the prophetess . She brings forth only words of edification, comfort and exhortation - I Corinth. 14:3.

There most definitely is still Prophets !

There are five gift ministries give to the church, the body of Christ - 1. Apostles 2. Prophets 3. Teachers 4.Evangilists 5. Pastors

A Prophet is subject unto the Spirit of the Prophet - I Corinth. 14:32 . No Prophet is to speak, unless God gives him a message that God will cause to come to pass. And it is always future !

The only time a prophecy from a Prophet that contains prophecy of the past, is when that prophecy is combined along with the prophecy of the future. This can be seen by just reading the book of Revelation. The revelation given to John.

Any questions ?

Prophecy does not always concern the future. The word means to forthtell, or to bring forth truth. In 1 Co. 14:24,25 we read:
But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:
"And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth."
Prophecy reveals the hidden things of the heart, not just the future.

elijah23 said:
watchman F said:
because the holy spirits speaks utterances that you cant pray at all. see romans 8. we often pray for some be healed or this or that job. but the lord may have other plans. who can know the whole will of God. but the holy spirit.

Amazed said:
Prophecy does not always concern the future. The word means to forthtell, or to bring forth truth. In 1 Co. 14:24,25 we read:
But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:
"And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth."

I'm replying to your post because you began the thread in the first place and because I agree with much you have said.

So here goes.

Before I begin let us keep in mind that the word for Prophet or Prophecy really means, as Amazed stated, to forthtell, to proclaim and to perceive. Although prophets at times would foretell the future, this was not there main focus. They were called to be the mouth piece of God, His proclaimers.

The following are the Gifts of the Godhead as listed in the Scriptures. Each list has the gift of prophecy, yet they differ one from the other because of their application and purpose.

Gifts of the Father Romans (12:1-15)
Operational gifts
  • Prophecy
    Serving
    Teaching
    Exhorting
    Giving
    Ruling
    Showing Mercy

Gifts of the Son Ephesians (4:4-13)
Administration Gifts
  • Apostle
    Prophet
    Evangelist
    Pastor
    Teacher

Gifts of the Spirit 1 Corinthians (12:1-14)
Manifestation Gifts

• Information
    [list:383rynbm]Tongues
    Interpretation
    Prophecy

Inspiration
  • Wisdom
    Knowledge
    Disc. of Spirits

Impartion
  • Faith
    Healing
    Miracles
[/list:u:383rynbm]

The definition of these 3 lists is found in 1 Cor. (12:4-6).
Vv.4 “There are diversities of gifts (Manifestations), but the same Spirit.â€
Vv 5 “There are differences of ministries (Administrations), but the same Lord.â€
Vv 6 “And there are diversities of activities (Operations), but it is the same God who works all in allâ€

These are gifts given by each member of the Trinity. The Gifts given by God the Father have been given the every human that has walked this planet. Seven gifts where God works all in all, as stated above. They are creational gifts that man will use either for the Kingdom of God or for their own selfish reasons.
We can operate in every one of the 7 gifts but there is one that is predominant and defines us as an individual. (Email me if you would like more details)

Ephesian 4 Gifts are considered positional within the body. They are callings given by Jesus for the edification of the Church. They have a seven fold purpose:

1-Perfecting of the Saints
2-Work of the Ministry
3-Edifying the Body of Christ
4-Unity of Faith
5-Knowledge of the Son of God
6-A perfect man
7-Measure of the Stature of the Fullness of Christ.

The Corinthian gifts are manifestations given to us at the will of the Spirit. They are the signs and wonders that accompany the work of the ministry. The reason that they have become so rare is because of our lack of faith in them. It could also be because we would rather debate them than seek God’s face in order to have them released in our lives.

The Gift of Tongues is the initial evidence of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as seen many times in the book of Acts. It is a personal prayer language given by the Spirit for the edification of oneself, a language that is used when we do not know what to pray for. It is for private times with God and not public.
The Tongues mentioned in Corinthians are different manifestations given to the Body to profit all. This manifestation must also remain silent if there’s no interpretation. However if one feels that the Spirit is leading him in to speak in Tongues, Paul says he should be prepared to also interpret. BTW interpretation does not mean literal translation. “Bonjour, mes amis†can be interpreted “Good day, friends†or “The Father bids everyone a wonderful day.â€
An Interpretation depends on many things: Freshness of ones walk with God, Depth of Biblical knowledge, Ones own edification, Life richness, Background, Personality, etc.

Teach said:
Amazed said:

I'm replying to your post because you began the thread in the first place and because I agree with much you have said.

So here goes.

Before I begin let us keep in mind that the word for Prophet or Prophecy really means, as Amazed stated, to forthtell, to proclaim and to perceive. Although prophets at times would foretell the future, this was not there main focus. They were called to be the mouth piece of God, His proclaimers.

The following are the Gifts of the Godhead as listed in the Scriptures. Each list has the gift of prophecy, yet they differ one from the other because of their application and purpose.

Gifts of the Father Romans (12:1-15)
Operational gifts
  • Prophecy
    Serving
    Teaching
    Exhorting
    Giving
    Ruling
    Showing Mercy

Gifts of the Son Ephesians (4:4-13)
Administration Gifts
  • Apostle
    Prophet
    Evangelist
    Pastor
    Teacher

Gifts of the Spirit 1 Corinthians (12:1-14)
Manifestation Gifts

• Information
    [list:36jeyms3]Tongues
    Interpretation
    Prophecy

Inspiration
  • Wisdom
    Knowledge
    Disc. of Spirits

Impartion
  • Faith
    Healing
    Miracles
[/list:u:36jeyms3]

The definition of these 3 lists is found in 1 Cor. (12:4-6).
Vv.4 “There are diversities of gifts (Manifestations), but the same Spirit.â€
Vv 5 “There are differences of ministries (Administrations), but the same Lord.â€
Vv 6 “And there are diversities of activities (Operations), but it is the same God who works all in allâ€

These are gifts given by each member of the Trinity. The Gifts given by God the Father have been given the every human that has walked this planet. Seven gifts where God works all in all, as stated above. They are creational gifts that man will use either for the Kingdom of God or for their own selfish reasons.
We can operate in every one of the 7 gifts but there is one that is predominant and defines us as an individual. (Email me if you would like more details)

Ephesian 4 Gifts are considered positional within the body. They are callings given by Jesus for the edification of the Church. They have a seven fold purpose:

1-Perfecting of the Saints
2-Work of the Ministry
3-Edifying the Body of Christ
4-Unity of Faith
5-Knowledge of the Son of God
6-A perfect man
7-Measure of the Stature of the Fullness of Christ.

The Corinthian gifts are manifestations given to us at the will of the Spirit. They are the signs and wonders that accompany the work of the ministry. The reason that they have become so rare is because of our lack of faith in them. It could also be because we would rather debate them than seek God’s face in order to have them released in our lives.

The Gift of Tongues is the initial evidence of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as seen many times in the book of Acts. It is a personal prayer language given by the Spirit for the edification of oneself, a language that is used when we do not know what to pray for. It is for private times with God and not public.
The Tongues mentioned in Corinthians are different manifestations given to the Body to profit all. This manifestation must also remain silent if there’s no interpretation. However if one feels that the Spirit is leading him in to speak in Tongues, Paul says he should be prepared to also interpret. BTW interpretation does not mean literal translation. “Bonjour, mes amis†can be interpreted “Good day, friends†or “The Father bids everyone a wonderful day.â€
An Interpretation depends on many things: Freshness of ones walk with God, Depth of Biblical knowledge, Ones own edification, Life richness, Background, Personality, etc.
:amen I agree with you

However I've attended many churches where they spoke in tongues but didn't interpret them
People even played with tounges...including myself...I was very young

[quote="Oats]
:amen I agree with you

However I've attended many churches where they spoke in tongues but didn't interpret them
People even played with tounges...including myself...I was very young[/quote]

I've been there also. It is usualy because the people have not been taught 1 Cor. 14 and basicaly are ignorant of that rule. Sometimes it is because a persons faith is far enough to speak a message in Tongues but not enough to also Interpret it.

My personal experience is that when I first got baptised in the Spirit I began to speak in Tongues personaly which provide power in my preayer life and also power to overcome sin. When I decided to seek the gifts of Corinthians, and more specificaly the Gift of Tongues in order to be used in the congreagation, I also prepared myself to seek the Interpretation also in the case that no one else would interpret. Because I was aware of the rule.
Following that I sought the Gift of Prophecy. I remember the first time God gave me a prophetic (Proclaiming) message. I had been used to Speaking in a Tongue and then Interpreting it or someone else Interpreting but God was giving me the message outright in english. (a Prophecy) I began to doubt myself, so I asked God to have someone speak in Tongues before I gave the message. This was a lack of faith on my part but God wasn't going to have. So He said to me: "Go ahead, speak in tongues". Well this defeated the purpose of my lack of faith. I therefore delivered the message and the presence of the Spirit filled the place. At least 10 people rushed to the front seeking God and repentance.

The following verse helps in understanding the idiosyncrasies that happen within a congregation.
Pv. (4:14) "Where no oxen are, the crib is clean: but much increase is by the strength of the ox."

If we want a squeaky clean church (crib) with no problems or mistakes then we shouldn't invite the Spirit. (Ox) But if we choose to invite the Spirit, unfortunately He uses human beings, like us both, and there is bound to be mistakes. The crib can get messy but that is part of maturity and groth.

Amazed said:

----------------------------

Hi

There are two types of prophecy.

1. Prophecy of a Prophet

2. Prophecy of a Prophetess

Back