Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

True Deliverance

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

netchaplain

There is only a onetime deliverance from sin’s guilt and condemnation, but an on-going promised deliverance from sin’s “dominion” (Ro 6:14); in which dominion is the fact that one wills to follow sin with disregard unto God’s holiness and righteousness. Nobody realizes and understands the “law of sin” (Rom 7:23) that dwells within (Ro 7:17, 20) until it is manifested to the soul in rebirth! Just the issue of Paul’s discourse on the dichotomy of the old and new natures clearly describes one reborn, otherwise there would be only one nature.

It is found that though this “law of sin” (Rom 7:23, 25; 8:2) or principle ever remains, the “treasure” of the “heart” (Mat 6:21) from now on is “to will and do of His good pleasure” (Phl 2:13). The believer no longer “presumptuously” serves (Num 15:30; Heb 10:29) sin, but contrariwise, is as an unwilling “captive” (Ro 7:23), which denotes the “service” is against the will.

Because the “flesh” remains (not the body but the sin nature or “old man”), it will affect us; and there will be constant protest of the reborn against it all (Rom 7:25)—via the ever indwelling of the new nature or “the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness” (Eph 2:15); “after the image of Him that created him (it)” (Col 3:10). Therefore, the freedom from the dominion of sin is not in the eradication of it, nor from its workings, but in the given grace of the will in our new nature against it, which is the permanent place of what God desires concerning His own—our heart and treasure!
NC

True Deliverance

“Oh, wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death” (i.e. “body of sin” - Ro 6:6, the old man and its “members” - Col 3:5—NC)? Poor wretched man! But (immense advantage) he knows it; he knows himself. Desires and efforts to do right have resulted in this—in the knowledge of himself and his real state: in him, that is, in his flesh, there is no good thing. But it is not (now that he is quickened of God) himself at all.

But this makes out no righteousness for him, no deliverance from the power of sin; he is still under it, being under law (i.e. yet under the law or principle of sin, which is its works against the believer, without effect to redemption—NC). It is an immense lesson to learn that we have no power (from self—NC). Thus taught, the man ceases to look to being better, or to doing (on his own power—NC); he has learned what he is, and looks for a Deliverer. The moment God has brought him there, all is clear. He thanks God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Though the subject treated be the experience of the soul under law (a principle—NC) when its spirituality is known through grace, the thing learned is not what law is, but what sin is—what we are (in our old man—NC). Hence, though the process be carried on under law (not the Law but a continuing principle, or tempting—NC), by which through the secret working of grace that knowledge is acquired, yet the thing we have come to know—what sin is in the flesh, is always true (old man works while we’re here—NC).

Hence, although it is the description of a soul under law, yet it is in a way in which the lesson remains for the believer at all times (e.g. Ro 7:14-25). Not that he is ever under law, or in the flesh—he never is (Gal 5:23; Ro 8:9): he has died as connected with the first husband, and for faith the flesh is dead (not its presence but its condemnation and dominion—NC), and he is delivered; but the lesson he has learned remains true. In him, that is, in his flesh, dwells no good thing; and it is experientially known. The flesh may deceive him if he is careless, and he forgets and neglects to “bear about in his body the dying of the Lord Jesus” (2Co 4:10); but it can no longer deceive him as to what it is itself. The power of the flesh is, for him, broken.

And further, he has no thought of being in the flesh before God. The Galatians shows his position. The flesh (old man) lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under law (Gal 5:17, 18). You are free with the liberty “wherewith Christ has set you free and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage” (Gal 5:1).

There is such a tendency in us to be occupied with ourselves, and really set up self in God’s place, that He uses these exercises to make us thoroughly glad to have done with ourselves (concerning how we are to respond to the old man - Eph 4:22; Col 3:9—NC). Thus we put ourselves under law, though born of God, which only leads us to cry out, “Oh wretched man that I am!” for it is only man and his efforts after good, not Christ. We have to learn that we are powerless, after owning and hating our wickedness (Psa 97:10; Pro 8:13; Ro 12:9—NC), and thus we are compelled to cry out, “Who shall deliver me?”

One looks for another to deliver him. It is not that self (old self—NC) gets better, but a deliverance from the old man we need, and God gives it (not deliverance from its guilt which is permanent at rebirth, but from its ongoing attempts to “rule” and regain its “dominion” – Ro 6:12, 14—NC). This may be soon, or not for a long time; but when one is thus brought to his true level (“irrevocable” redemption - Rom 11:29—NC), the Father in grace comes in, and brings out thanksgiving (due to reminding and assuring us that we are His – Ro 8:16—NC), “I thank God through Jesus Christ, our Lord.”

Strength follows when we find that we have none ourselves, not by gaining victory over self. Powerlessness is learned experientially, which leads to our having done with ourselves (old self—NC) and looking to the Lord Jesus for deliverance (from the old man’s opposition—NC). And we find that by grace we are in Christ, where there is no condemnation. On the one hand the law of the Spirit of life in Christ has freed us; on the other God has already executed the sentence of condemnation of sin in the flesh in the Cross of Christ. We are delivered to walk according to the Spirit (Gal 5:16, 25).

—J N Darby (1800-1882)

There is only a onetime deliverance from sin’s guilt and condemnation, but an on-going promised deliverance from sin’s “dominion” (Ro 6:14); in which dominion is the fact that one wills to follow sin with disregard unto God’s holiness and righteousness. Nobody realizes and understands the “law of sin” (Rom 7:23) that dwells within (Ro 7:17, 20) until it is manifested to the soul in rebirth! Just the issue of Paul’s discourse on the dichotomy of the old and new natures clearly describes one reborn, otherwise there would be only one nature.

It is found that though this “law of sin” (Rom 7:23, 25; 8:2) or principle ever remains, the “treasure” of the “heart” (Mat 6:21) from now on is “to will and do of His good pleasure” (Phl 2:13). The believer no longer “presumptuously” serves (Num 15:30; Heb 10:29) sin, but contrariwise, is as an unwilling “captive” (Ro 7:23), which denotes the “service” is against the will.

Because the “flesh” remains (not the body but the sin nature or “old man”), it will affect us; and there will be constant protest of the reborn against it all (Rom 7:25)—via the ever indwelling of the new nature or “the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness” (Eph 2:15); “after the image of Him that created him (it)” (Col 3:10). Therefore, the freedom from the dominion of sin is not in the eradication of it, nor from its workings, but in the given grace of the will in our new nature against it, which is the permanent place of what God desires concerning His own—our heart and treasure!
NC

True Deliverance

“Oh, wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death” (i.e. “body of sin” - Ro 6:6, the old man and its “members” - Col 3:5—NC)? Poor wretched man! But (immense advantage) he knows it; he knows himself. Desires and efforts to do right have resulted in this—in the knowledge of himself and his real state: in him, that is, in his flesh, there is no good thing. But it is not (now that he is quickened of God) himself at all.

But this makes out no righteousness for him, no deliverance from the power of sin; he is still under it, being under law (i.e. yet under the law or principle of sin, which is its works against the believer, without effect to redemption—NC). It is an immense lesson to learn that we have no power (from self—NC). Thus taught, the man ceases to look to being better, or to doing (on his own power—NC); he has learned what he is, and looks for a Deliverer. The moment God has brought him there, all is clear. He thanks God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Though the subject treated be the experience of the soul under law (a principle—NC) when its spirituality is known through grace, the thing learned is not what law is, but what sin is—what we are (in our old man—NC). Hence, though the process be carried on under law (not the Law but a continuing principle, or tempting—NC), by which through the secret working of grace that knowledge is acquired, yet the thing we have come to know—what sin is in the flesh, is always true (old man works while we’re here—NC).

Hence, although it is the description of a soul under law, yet it is in a way in which the lesson remains for the believer at all times (e.g. Ro 7:14-25). Not that he is ever under law, or in the flesh—he never is (Gal 5:23; Ro 8:9): he has died as connected with the first husband, and for faith the flesh is dead (not its presence but its condemnation and dominion—NC), and he is delivered; but the lesson he has learned remains true. In him, that is, in his flesh, dwells no good thing; and it is experientially known. The flesh may deceive him if he is careless, and he forgets and neglects to “bear about in his body the dying of the Lord Jesus” (2Co 4:10); but it can no longer deceive him as to what it is itself. The power of the flesh is, for him, broken.

And further, he has no thought of being in the flesh before God. The Galatians shows his position. The flesh (old man) lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under law (Gal 5:17, 18). You are free with the liberty “wherewith Christ has set you free and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage” (Gal 5:1).

There is such a tendency in us to be occupied with ourselves, and really set up self in God’s place, that He uses these exercises to make us thoroughly glad to have done with ourselves (concerning how we are to respond to the old man - Eph 4:22; Col 3:9—NC). Thus we put ourselves under law, though born of God, which only leads us to cry out, “Oh wretched man that I am!” for it is only man and his efforts after good, not Christ. We have to learn that we are powerless, after owning and hating our wickedness (Psa 97:10; Pro 8:13; Ro 12:9—NC), and thus we are compelled to cry out, “Who shall deliver me?”

One looks for another to deliver him. It is not that self (old self—NC) gets better, but a deliverance from the old man we need, and God gives it (not deliverance from its guilt which is permanent at rebirth, but from its ongoing attempts to “rule” and regain its “dominion” – Ro 6:12, 14—NC). This may be soon, or not for a long time; but when one is thus brought to his true level (“irrevocable” redemption - Rom 11:29—NC), the Father in grace comes in, and brings out thanksgiving (due to reminding and assuring us that we are His – Ro 8:16—NC), “I thank God through Jesus Christ, our Lord.”

Strength follows when we find that we have none ourselves, not by gaining victory over self. Powerlessness is learned experientially, which leads to our having done with ourselves (old self—NC) and looking to the Lord Jesus for deliverance (from the old man’s opposition—NC). And we find that by grace we are in Christ, where there is no condemnation. On the one hand the law of the Spirit of life in Christ has freed us; on the other God has already executed the sentence of condemnation of sin in the flesh in the Cross of Christ. We are delivered to walk according to the Spirit (Gal 5:16, 25).

—J N Darby (1800-1882)
How can one commit sin and not feel guilt?
Isn't that self-deceit?

We all unwillingly sin at times and the Holy Spirit is quick to convict us. If one is not convicted then they are only giving lip service to the Lord and will die in their sins.

How can one commit sin and not feel guilt?
Isn't that self-deceit?
Example: "He that committeth sin is of the devil" (1Jo 3:8).

Comment: Not everyone that sins, or commits acts of sin, then every man is of the devil, because no man lives without the commission of sin; but he who makes sin his constant business, and the employment of his life, whose life is a continued series of sinning, he is of the devil. -J Gill

Sin goes unconcerned and in all unbelievers (like we were), due to still being under the "dominion" of the old man (Ro 6:14). The issue of sinning in this passage is in in the sense of intentionality--"Sin willfully" (Heb 10:26). In my opinion it's never the will of a believer to sin, but due to the desire of the old man, sin is committed unintentionally, e.g. anger, jealousy, etc. which, as FHG has noted above, we admit (confess) we were wrong as the Spirit reveals all to us; thus ongoing supply of forgiveness is never broken.

Example: "He that committeth sin is of the devil" (1Jo 3:8).
Comment: Not everyone that sins, or commits acts of sin, then every man is of the devil,
Would you be kind enough to reword that?
I can't understand it...sorry.
because no man lives without the commission of sin; but he who makes sin his constant business, and the employment of his life, whose life is a continued series of sinning, he is of the devil. -J Gill
That would mean that God's seed can bring forth evil fruit. (1 John 3:9)..."Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."
That can't happen.
Repentance from sin produces non-sinners.
Otherwise, rebirth would be a sham, and every repentance would be a lie to God.
Sin goes unconcerned and in all unbelievers (like we were), due to still being under the "dominion" of the old man (Ro 6:14). The issue of sinning in this passage is in in the sense of intentionality--"Sin willfully" (Heb 10:26). In my opinion it's never the will of a believer to sin, but due to the desire of the old man, sin is committed unintentionally, e.g. anger, jealousy, etc. which, as FHG has noted above, we admit (confess) we were wrong as the Spirit reveals all to us; thus ongoing supply of forgiveness is never broken.
You are proffering a two-man-in-one syndrome.
If one is reborn of God's seed, the old man has been destroyed. (Rom 6:6)..."Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin."
So too has the old man's nature, as 2 Cor 5:17 makes clear..."Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."

All sin is indeed intentional, but God promises an escape from every temptation. (1 Cor 10:13)..."There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."
Without a temptation, James says there is no sin. (James 1:14-15)..."But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death."
Kind of hard to go through all that and mistakenly lie or kill or steal.
I thank God for the escapes !

I remember when I learned about deliverance. I was at a 5-day Christian healing retreat. On the morning of day 5, we fasted. "6 Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?" - Isaiah 58:6
Then we watched a video by Derek Prince called, "Basics Of Deliverance." Then we prayed a prayer. Then It was like an invisible forced pushed all of us attendees onto the floor.
A voice at the back of my neck would name an evil spirit, and then a staff member would come to me, name the same name that I'd just heard, and cast it out. This went on for awhile and though it wasn't very much fun, I felt quite free afterwards.

Would you be kind enough to reword that?
I can't understand it...sorry.

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."
We in our new nature desire not to sin. It's in our old man that carries desire for sin, of which we are no longer considered a part (Ro 8:9). We now in our new man desire only after God--via His "work in you" (Phl 2:13). This answers to Paul revealing a dichotomy of the old and new man:

"Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me" (Ro 7:17, 20). The "I" in this passage is Paul in his new nature; and the word "sin" is in relation to the old sinful nature, or old man.

If one is reborn of God's seed, the old man has been destroyed. (Rom 6:6)..."Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin."
The Cross only destroys the guilt and dominion of sin. If the old man (sin nature) were eradicated the Spirit would not be opposing it in us (Gal 5:17) and Paul would not be revealing such to us (Ro 7:14-25). We are dead to it but it is not dead to us and continue to oppose us but never defeat us by causing us in our new man to desire after it. We are "dead to sin" (Rom 6:2, 11) but it is not dead to us.

John Gill: "that the body of sin might be destroyed:" by "the body of sin" is meant sin itself, which consists, as a body does, of various members (Col 3:5); and also the power and strength of it, which the Jews {s} call erh ruyd alyx, "the power of the evil imagination"; this is crucified with Christ, and nailed to his cross by his sacrifice and satisfaction, that its damning power might be destroyed, abolished, and done away: and it is crucified by the Spirit and grace of Christ, that its governing power might be took away, and that itself be subdued, weakened, and laid under restraints, and its members and deeds mortified."

Without a temptation, James says there is no sin. (James 1:14-15)..."But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death."
It's my understanding that one reborn with the new nature, the Life of the Lord Jesus, the Spirit, and most importantly God's "work in you" (Phl 2:13), will not allow to be drawn away, and the sinful thought will not be conceived enough to become lust. Lust is actually conceiving the performing of it in thought, which is when "it is sin," i.e. "when lust hath conceived."

We in our new nature desire not to sin. It's in our old man that carries desire for sin, of which we are no longer considered a part (Ro 8:9).
The old man is dead and has no bearing on the reborn life.
We now in our new man desire only after God--via His "work in you" (Phl 2:13). This answers to Paul revealing a dichotomy of the old and new man:
"Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me" (Ro 7:17, 20). The "I" in this passage is Paul in his new nature; and the word "sin" is in relation to the old sinful nature, or old man.
It is no dichotomy, but it is a remembrance of a former time walked in the flesh.
How do I know?
Because in Rom 7:5 says..."For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death."
WERE in the flesh...a remembrance of a former time.
Because Ro 8:2 shows Paul's, and our, deliverance from the law of sin in our members from Rom 7:23.
Because Rom 6:6 shows the end of the body of death of Rom 7:24.
The Cross only destroys the guilt and dominion of sin. If the old man (sin nature) were eradicated the Spirit would not be opposing it in us (Gal 5:17) and Paul would not be revealing such to us (Ro 7:14-25). We are dead to it but it is not dead to us and continue to oppose us but never defeat us by causing us in our new man to desire after it. We are "dead to sin" (Rom 6:2, 11) but it is not dead to us.
There is nothing to be guilty of if you don't commit sin.
As those with the seed of God within them cannot commit sin, as John made clear in 1 John 3:9.
Sin shows who the devil's child. (1 John 3:10)
John Gill: "that the body of sin might be destroyed:" by "the body of sin" is meant sin itself, which consists, as a body does, of various members (Col 3:5); and also the power and strength of it, which the Jews {s} call erh ruyd alyx, "the power of the evil imagination"; this is crucified with Christ, and nailed to his cross by his sacrifice and satisfaction, that its damning power might be destroyed, abolished, and done away: and it is crucified by the Spirit and grace of Christ, that its governing power might be took away, and that itself be subdued, weakened, and laid under restraints, and its members and deeds mortified."
It seems Gill and I agree.
The old is dead and has no further power.
It's my understanding that one reborn with the new nature, the Life of the Lord Jesus, the Spirit, and most importantly God's "work in you" (Phl 2:13), will not allow to be drawn away, and the sinful thought will not be conceived enough to become lust. Lust is actually conceiving the performing of it in thought, which is when "it is sin," i.e. "when lust hath conceived."
Correct.
The what you call "sinful thoughts", are temptations of the devil...and resistible to those in Christ.
Thanks be to God !
And thanks be to God for Paul's words in Gal 5:24..."And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts."
Dead lusts cannot be acted on.

Here is how one's self can tell whether they are a child of God or a child of the devil;

1Jn 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
1Jn 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil...

Son of Israel

Are you claiming to be sinless??
Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Rom 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

1Pe_3:16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.
You are quite liberal with your usage of scripture... I asked you 3 times if you claimed to be sinless and each time you have inserted scripture. I was trying to clarify your belief... as there are some who do believe in sinless perfection.
It is not in my nature to come against others for what they believe. I have not spoken evil of you... I have stated that you clearly are not interested in having a conversation with me.... I am good with that... NO need to accuse me of speaking evil. That is a false witness. Be blessed.

Back