Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

True forgiveness

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Jesus forgave us by sacrificing His life in order to compensate for the offenses we committed against Him. We too must forgive others the way he forgave us in order to accept his forgiveness (Matthew 6:15); because in order to accept his forgiveness we must believe in it by expressing the same type of forgiveness toward others. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:tongue></o:tongue>

Jesus forgave us by sacrificing His life in order to compensate for the offenses we committed against Him. We too must forgive others the way he forgave us in order to accept his forgiveness (Matthew 6:15); because in order to accept his forgiveness we must believe in it by expressing the same type of forgiveness toward others. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:tongue></o:tongue>

It's not always easy to forgive.

But we must obey God.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am curious how one is supposed to forgive if an aggressor shows no remorse or desire to be forgiven?

I am curious how one is supposed to forgive if an aggressor shows no remorse or desire to be forgiven?

We forgive because judgment is not ours, but God's. Thus we must entrust ourselves to him. :)

That doesn't mean we treat them the same way we treat the repentant person... But it means holding no bitterness against them in our hearts.

We might have to treat them as outsiders. But that is not out of bitterness, but out of love, in hopes of saving their souls, that they WOULD repent. :yes

People are more than just what they do/did, even if what they did/do is sinful and/or harmful to you. People are ends in and of themselves. We're all created in God's image. Some of us, either because God selects us (predestination) or because we wise up and choose God (Arminianism) or because God graces us and we keep growing in grace (Catholicism, I think), end up changing our ways and being forgiven. When that happens, we're different and we have to act differently. So, if someone does something terrible to you, you owe it to God and to that other person--the person He created--to forgive the offender, even if he doesn't ask for it.

There's a practical side to this as well (just what you'd expect from a rule given by someone as smart as God). Forgiveness makes the world run smoothly. Where would we be if everyone held on to grudges and acted harshly or with vengeance towards those who had wronged them? Take a look at the world today. Imagine what a little bit of Christian morality would do to change things, starting with forgiveness. Even secular pop-psychologists talk about how wonderful forgiveness is. They make it sound very sentimental and kind of saccharin, but really, forgiveness is pretty basic, and essential to our spiritual, emotional, and overall well-being. It just happens to run against human nature, that's all.

I struggle with this myself. I've just gone through a back sliding phase in which I've been kind of wrathful towards my old enemies. Not cool. I recognize this, and now that God has restored my mind, I'm finally in a position to *do* something about it, namely forgive my enemies and move on.

This is brilliantly put, CE.

When you forgive someone sincerely from your heart you set both the person and yourself free. [In some cases the person may not even know you have a grudge against him/her. (to Pebbles, have you ever considered this before?)
who is in bondage?]

This is brilliantly put, CE.
When you forgive someone sincerely from your heart you set both the person and yourself free. [In some cases the person may not even know you have a grudge against him/her. (to Pebbles, have you ever considered this before?)
who is in bondage?]
I told them at the time they were hurting me, that appeared to make them happy. Now I don't know where they are so I can't do anything. neither enact revenge seek justice or talk to them.

I'm aware that dark feelings of hate damage and affect me more than anyone else, problem is I can't let go I don't know how. I only know how-to let go of inappropriate invalid emotional states. Those feelings of anger and injustice they have good reason for existing they are far from invalid.

I think of it this way, the percentage of forgiving I show someone else I hope God may forgive my sins...It motivates me although I know in my heart that God's love is so much greater than I can imagine...this reasoning still helps

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand what you are saying, Pebbles. Thanks!

Some people are so diabolical, cruel and despicable! Should we even forgive? What we normally do is: obey the bible and forgive them (it is very painful to do that - and of course doing so relieves the persecuted one, 'cause he himselves is in this bondage of unforgiveness). In fact, it takes the Holy Spirit of God to trully forgive these people.

Most of them don't even care about you. Are they human beings like us? Yes - maybe with the heart of an animal, alien heart - Jezebelic. They are eager to hurt you more. God knows how to judge them, no matter how evil they are.

Once again, I'll obey God rather than perish with them. (Afterall man has done worse things against God and God is ready to forgive):yes

Hello all,
This is a lesson I've been struggling with for some time now. I know in my head that in order to be obedient I must forgive; but does that also translate into forgetting & resuming a pre-offense relationship? This runs deep and what's more hurtful is that it's family memBERSSSSS.

thanks for reading.
J.

That is what the Eternal Gospel is ALL ABOUT. But few understand your question.
God accepts NO ONE who does not meet the condition of Acts 5:32. And these surrendered ones are Born Again with your above posting. (If this CONDITION is met)

Acts 5
[32] And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given [[to them that obey him]].

And even here we understand that the Holy Spirit is working on all of mankind to surrender.. as seen in Gen. 6:3...

[3] And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

--Elijah

We forgive because judgment is not ours, but God's. Thus we must entrust ourselves to him. :)

That doesn't mean we treat them the same way we treat the repentant person... But it means holding no bitterness against them in our hearts.

We might have to treat them as outsiders. But that is not out of bitterness, but out of love, in hopes of saving their souls, that they WOULD repent. :yes

P:

Good sentiment.

If we keep our eyes on the Lord Jesus, 'who for the joy that was set before Him, endured the Cross, despising the shame', then we won't fret about those who may have wronged us.

God saved me through forgiveness! I learned to forgive myself for all the abysmally stupid things I've done, and forgive others for hurting me. Over time it has completely changed my life because I've learned to see me as God sees me: a beautiful child of God. I think most of us do bad because deep down we think we're bad and we tend to try to forget things rather than forgive. Only by changing our beliefs can we change our actions long term. So, if we keep forgiving others who have hurt us (figuratively or literally "turn the other cheek") they'll eventually start to see themselves differently too.

This IMO is why we should be quick to forgive...

(Mark 11:25) "And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against
anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.&rdquo;

(Ephesians 4:31-32) &ldquo;Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling
and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.&rdquo;

(Luke 23:34) "Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting lots."

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back