Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Wazzup with FC BARCELONA?!! (News)

More than 4,700 Barça fans to join team forAC Milan v Barça

www.fcbarcelona.cat

This will be the biggest ever travelling support (not counting the final at Wembley) since the semifinal in 2009 against Inter Milan. Close to 5,000 Barça fans went to that game

Pep Guardiola and his team will be joined by 4,700 supporters in Milan for the game likely to decide who tops Group H. Never before have so many people travelled for an away match in the group stages of the Champions League .

The distribution of tickets for the San Siro match for fans and members of FC Barcelona was completed on Friday and it has been revealed that this will be the biggest ever travelling support (not counting the final at Wembley) since the semifinal in 2009, which was also in Milan, against Inter. Almost 5,000 Barça fans went to that game.

Other huge away trips

The only comparable cases of such a massive travelling wave of supporters in the knockout stages of the Champions League include: the game against Real Madrid in 2011 (3,590), Bayern Munich in 2009 (3,048) and Stuttgart in 2010 (3,000). For all Champions League matches,the home club is obliged to make a minimum of 5% of the seats available to away fans.

FCB

FCB-Zaragoza: No reserves 20.00, Gol T, Canal+ Liga and R@dio Barça: Barça entertain Zaragoza with the intention of making sure of the three points after the international break

Pedro is fully fit

The league returns after the international breakand Barça, who are three points adrift of Real Madrid, face Zaragoza at the Camp Nou. There's no room for error. There are crunch Champions League, Liga and Clubs World Cup games just around the corner, but despite an important trip to Milan midweek, the manager is taking no risks in Saturday's fixture. Response to tiredness Although they looked good on the rainy trip to San Mamés, for a team with as many players in their national teams as Barcelona, it is never easy to get straight back to work after an international break. And this time, it's not just the South Americans but also those that played for Spain that have had to cross the ocean twice in a week. One of these, Leo Messi, has been the centre of attention, with some wondering whether he will be in a fit state to play after the gruelling game in Colombia. But Pep Guardiola ishearing none of it, and insists that the Argentine striker is ready to play. Pedro Rodríguez will be back in action That leaves just two players sidelined through injury, Adriano and Afellay. Opposing team announced Zaragoza, meanwhile, come to the Camp Nou in desperate need of points, for they are currently just one above the drop zone. Manager Javier Aguirre hasalready confirmed that his starting eleven will be Roberto, Juárez, Mateos, Lánzaro, Paredes, Barrera, Ponzio, Meira, Juan Carlos, Luis García and Postiga. He has learned at the last minute that both his goalkeeper Leo Franco and defender Paulo da Silva are unfit to play.

FCB,

JORDI CLOS

:bounceball
Line-up FC Barcelona vs Real Zaragoza
--
Valdés, Alves, Piqué, Puyol, Maxwell, Keita, Cesc, Xavi, Cuenca, Messi and Alexis. The players left out are Busquets and Pedro

Fans
iSaver

You can now download the official interactive Barça screensaver

iSaver FC Barcelona
The official interactive Barça screensaver

You can now download the new official interactive Barça screensaver. A dynamic application that will bring you the very latest news from the club direct to your screensaver as well as the very latest photographs of the Barça stars.

This is a free and exclusive service. Download it here:

http://assets.fcbarcelona.com/images/isaver/fc-barcelona-en.exe

Messi has scored 46% of Barça's goals in the Camp Nou

The Barça goal scoring figures at home, in the first seven games of the League, are astonishing,and a club record

Including last season, it has now been 10 matches since Barça conceded a goal at home

Villarreal 5-0,
Osasuna 8-0,
Athletico Madrid 5-0,
Racing Santander 3-0,
Sevilla 0-0,
Mallorca 5-0,
and Zaragoza 4-0.
These are the seven League games that Barça have played at the Camp Nou . 6 wins and a draw, with a balance of 30 goals for and 0 against. It's a record for the first seven matches of a League competition.

14 of the 30 by Messi

Messi is the player who has scored most goals at the Camp Nou. Of these 30 in the League, Leo Messi has scored 14:
Villarreal (2),
Osasuna (3),
Athletico (3)
Racing (2),
Majorca (3)
and Zaragoza (1).
The rest of the goals are shared out as follows:
Villa (4),
Xavi (2),
Cesc (2),
Thiago (1),
Alexis (1),
Cuenca (1),
Alves (1),
Pique (1)
and Puyol (1).
The remaining 2 goals were own goals scored by Roversio (Osasuna) and Miranda (Athletico Madrid).

Seven and a half months without conceding

At the other end, Víctor Valdés has managed to keep a clean sheet in the first seven home games, that's 630 minutes in the League at the Camp Nou. Adding the games at the end of last season, Barça have now gone 10 games without conceding a goal at the Camp Nou. The last goal scored against Guardiola's team, at home, dates back to April 9th, against Almería (3-1).

FCB,

Jordi Clos

Guardiola: “After the games with their national teams, the players were eager to playâ€

The Barça manager attributes the players' attitudes for scoring 30 goals in the Camp Nou without conceding any

"After the beating they take with their national teams, they come back to Barcelona and run like no other,†said Guardiola

Bartomeu: “The team is very eagerâ€

Barça's first Vice President, Josep Maria Bartomeu , highlighted the players “eagerness toplay†after the international break. Bartomeu was also very pleased with the squad’s “quality of play.†He went on to say that “we got a very good result and the team played really well. Thefans saw a spectacular match with a lot of chances. We have a good feeling about this team.†Bartomeu, praised the collective play style that characterizes the squad, and also mentioned next Wednesday’s Champions League match in Milan: “It will be a tough game, but we’ll go to Milan with a squad that’s feeling good and eager to play.â€

“Not everyone can play, but I have confidence inall of them. I know them and I know that they bring to the teamâ€

Despite the international break, Barça roared back onto the La Liga scene with a 4-0 thrashing of Zaragoza. It’s always “hard to play League games after the international break,†said Xavi , but Barça’s play was enchanting nonetheless. With this win over Zaragoza , Barça has now scored 30 goals in the Camp Nou this season without conceding any. Josep Guardiola said the key to this success is largely due to “the players. After the beating they take with their national teams, they come back to Barcelona and run like no other.†He added, “I'm very surprised with thepositive mental state they returned with.â€

In the post-game press conference, the Santpedor native analyzed the form of many of his players. First, he talked about Messi, “he gives the team so many things in the position he plays. I was worried with the hit he received, buthe told me he was fine, so I decided to leave himon the pitch.â€

Total confidence in the squad
The manager also reiterated the confidence he has in David Villa , and highlighted the importance of starting him on the bench, “when I say I’m confident in David, it’s because I truly am. I don’t have to justify my decision of not starting him every time.†Guardiola also reminded reporters of the amount of playing time Villa had with the Spanish national squad. The manager went on to say, “not everyone can play, but I have confidence in all of them. I knowthe players and I know what they bring to the team.â€

Guardiola also exalted the ovation that the Camp Nou gave Barça’s number '7' when he ran onto the pitch: “It was fantastic. The Camp Nou isgenerous with all the players, and tonight they were generous with Villa. It makes me happy forhim. Villa is always very direct, tonight he did it again.â€

After talking about Cesc Fabregas ’ job on the pitch, Guardiola went on to praise the defensive pair, Carles Puyol and Gerard Piqué . Finally he talked about Alexis Sánchez , “he’s adapted really well, but he’s been off the field for eight weeks, that’s almost two summer vacations. That’s a long time to be out, especially considering he just got here. He has qualties that no one has. He’s strong and he holds the ballwell. With time, he’ll be more attune to the team’s play.â€

FCB,

VANESSA FORNS

Puyol: "The Milan game is the one we all want to play in"

The Barça central defender highlighted the importance of both Barça and Milan, and assuredeverybody that the squad who will go into the Champions League match on Wednesday with maximum motivation

Puyol showed against Real Zaragoza that he is in good shape after some difficult months due tophysical problems

Reunion with Ibrahimovic
Pep Guardiola's team will meet up again with former Barcelona player, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, in the match against Milan. After acknowledging that he is on good terms with Zlatan and making it very clear that he believes that he couldn't have any complaints about his time at Barça, Puyol is convinced that Ibra will go into the game "highly motivated." He added: "But then again, who doesn't against Barça? There's a lot to play for, and he'll give everything, but in any case, I don't think he can be any more motivated than we are."

"I've always liked Milan. It will be an important game and we hope that all goes well"
"The operation is already forgotten. It has taken some time and it's been tough. When I play games now I don't notice any discomfort"

Carles Puyol was excellent against Zaragoza on Saturday at the Camp Nou. Not only did he score the third of the four Barça goals (min 53), but he played the whole 90 minutes of the game, making it clear that he's improving from the injury problems he's been suffering in recent months. Now, the Barcelona captain is concentrating on the Champions League match away to Milan on Wednesday, a game that, for him, is being played by "two of the best teams inEurope."

In an interview on the Barça TV program El Marcador , Puyol said that the match against the Italian team "is the game we all want to play in... I've always liked Milan. It will be an important game and we hope that all goes well," he said, just before stressing that Barça wil go to the San Siro "with lots of enthusiasm, looking to play our football, and trying to get a good result." At the same time, he warned that Wednesday's opponents "have lots of players who can make a difference" so, FC Barcelona will have to "work really hard to try and win."

Since the game at the Camp Nou against Racing Santander , in January, Puyol has been plagued with injury problems. The most delicate moment, however, was the operation which he was submitted to in June to overcome the tendon problems in his left knee. Today, he says that his knee is okay, and that the discomfort he suffered after the operation was due to something else. "The operation is already forgotten. It has taken some time and it's been tough. When I play games now I don't notice anydiscomfort. Due the injury I lost all the strength in my leg, and it was impossible to play on. The knee injury has not come back at all, but afterwards I suffered other minor problems, because after eight months out I was not match fit, and at my age...," he said.

Problems after the international break
However, Puyol stressed that he felt "very good" against Zaragoza , and every day he's feeling"better still," but acknowledged that he felt a bittired towards the end of the match, something he put down to the long trip to Costa Rica with the Spanish National team. "They are long trips, and they affect us all," he said, before adding that "we're always affected when we come back from these long trips with the InternationalTeam. We spend lots of days away, the trips are long, we come back a bit tired, for lots of days you're not with your club teammates, and then you only have one or two days to prepare for thegames ... but at the same time we know that we can't afford to drop any points," he concluded.

FCB,

VANESSA FORNS

BARÇA B

Rafinha: “Signing for a Club like this – the best in the world- is marvellousâ€

www.fcbarcelona.cat
Youngster signed contract this morning, accompanied by Josep Maria Bartomeu and JordiMestre, which will keep him at Barça till 2013/14season

First team debut in the Cup game against Hospitalet was: “like a dream come trueâ€

Rafael Alcántara do Nascimento , 'Rafinha' , signed a contract this morning that will keep him at the Club until the 2013/14 season, with a buyout clause of 12 million Euros until the 2012/13 campaign rising to 30 million the following year.

Club Vice-President Josep Maria Bartome u and the board member responsible for Barça B and the youth teams, Jordi Mestre, both accompanied Rafinha at the signing. The player expressed his:"great happiness - signing for a Club like this – the best in the world- is marvellous".

The attacker revealed that his brother Thiago has always been: "an example I can measure myself against" and went on to explain his sensations on his debut for the first team on November 9th , when the team met Hospitalet in the Spanish Cup : "it's the kind of thing you can't really believe. It's been my dream since I came here when I was just 13 years old – it really was a dream come true".

Barça B's season
Finally, Rafinha , who is still a member of the B team squad, reflected on the team's progress under Eusebio Sacristán this season: "we are playing well, but the truth is that the results at the start of the season just wouldn't come for us. We've started on a good run now though and let's see if we can keep that up"

FCB,

Messi contends for FIFA Puskás Award

www.fcbarcelona.cat

Messi's goal against Arsenal in the Champions League makes the FIFA Puskás Award shortlist, to contend with nine others for best goal of the year

Messi was nominated for the award last year butthe prize went to Hamit Altintop

Leo Messi is once again a contender for the FIFA Puskás Award , an award given to the player judged to have scored the most beautiful goal ofthe year. The Argentinian was up for the prize in 2010 as well. This year, his goal against Arsenal in the return leg of the Champions League knock-out round has been nominated.

The goal was a masterpiece: Iniesta found Messi, who, when confronted by an encroaching Almunia , gently chipped the ball over the sprawled the keeper. Messi, not letting the ball touch the ground, finished off the play with a volley.

The contenders
The other contenders are Wayne Rooney, Dejan Stankovic, Benjamin de Ceulaer, Julio Gómez, Lisandro López, Neymar, Heather O'Reilly , and the two ex-Barça players, Giovani dos Santos and Zlatan Ibrahimovic . This is the third year FIFA has awarded the Puskás Award, previous winners are Cristiano Ronaldo in 2009 and HamitAltintop in 2010.

The award is decided by public vote, the goal that receives the most votes on FIFA’s official webpage wins the FIFA Puskás Award. Voting closes on December 5th.

The winner will be announced at the FIFA Ballond’Or gala, January 9th, 2012. Click here ( http://www.fifa.com/ballondor/puskasaward/index.html ) to vote for Leo Messi’s goal.

FCB

San Siro set to decide who tops group Alves, Iniesta, Adriano, Cassano and Gattuso amongst the players out

A Barça win would mathematically mean they finish top with one game to play

San Siro hosts a classic of European football tonight when two of the continents giants – AC Milan and FC Barcelona –go head to head for thetop spot in the Champions League Group H. The group winners would be in an ideal position for the first knock out round, with home advantage in the second leg. It's advantage Barça for the moment, with Guardiola 's team enjoying a two point lead, but with Milan also already through to the quarter finals, the Italians could turn things around with a win, whilst for Barça a draw would probably suffice ahead of their final game against BATE. Two big names out Barça will be without four players: the suspended Alves and the injured Iniesta are probably the most important and Afellay and Adriano are also both out, which means that Guardiola will be forced to make changes –most notably at right back where Alves is a regular. Milan are also without two influential figures - Gattuso and Cassano , though Zlatan Ibrahimovic , who missed the game in the Camp Nou, will play. "A perfect game" Between them, Milan and Barça have won 11 European Cups and Guardiola warned on the eve of the game that his players will need to put in "a perfect game" if they are to win and take the top spot against a Milan team who have won both their games at home in the group and earned a valuable draw at the Camp Nou with a typically effective display. Clash of styles In the match at the Camp Nou , Barça had much the better of the possession and created more chances, but failed to put away enough to see off a Milan team who scored in the first and the last minute of the game to draw 2-2. Tonight's game is likely to follow a similar script, with Allegri 's team happy to sit back and let Barça come at them, something Guardiola's attacking philosophy always assures his team will try to do. A clash of styles maybe, but two teams with the same objective: topping Group H.

FCB,

Roger Bogunyà

AC Milan v Barça: Did you know that...

www.fcbarcelona.cat

AC Milan v Barça: Did you know that...

• A triumph at the San Siro would mathematically qualify Barça for the last 16, as top of the group. A draw would keep them two points ahead, and leave everything open pending the last match, whilst a defeat would put AC Milan a point ahead, with the group leadership still to be decided in the last game.

• AC Milan and Barça have met twelve times in UEFA competitions, with a very even balance: 4 wins for each team and 4 draws.

• The last time the teams met in Italy was on 18th April 2006, when FC Barcelona won 1-0 in the first leg of the Champions League semifinals.In the second leg, at the Camp Nou they drew 0-0.

• The last Milan victory over Barça dates back to 20th October 2004, when the two teams also met in the group stages. Shevchenko scored the winning goal that day (1-0).

• FC Barcelona have played 14 games against Italian teams away from home. The balance is 4 wins, 6 draws and 4 defeats.

• The last visit to Milan brings back bad memories for Barça. Guardiola's side lost to Inter Milan, 3-1, after a long journey by coach to the Italian city.

• Barça have only lost one of their last eight away games in Europe, and have two clear wins in the two games in this year's group stages (5-0 at BATE, and 4-0 away to Pilsen).

• Three current AC Milan players have played for Barça. They are Gianluca Zambrotta (2006-08), Mark van Bommel (2005/06) and Zlatan Ibrahimovic (2009/10).

• The game will also bring together other old acquaintances. Cesc Fabregas and Flamini were at Arsenal together from 2004 to 2008, whilst Mascherano and Aquilani were teammates at Liverpool in the 2009/10 season.

• The last current Barça player to score at the San Siro was Alexis Sanchez. He scored a goal in the 4-4 draw, last season, between AC Milan andUdinese, his former club.

• No team has scored more goals in the Champions League than Barça, who have scored 13. Messi is also the top scorer in the competition, with 5 goals, the same as Mario Gomez (Bayern Munich).

• The referee will be the German, Wolfgang Stark, who has refereed a total of 42 games in the Champions League, none of these with AC Milan, but he has refereed FC Barcelona a total of five times, the last time being the 2-0 win at the Santiago Bernabeu in the first leg of the semifinals last season.

FCB

Carles Puyol: “A Milan-Barça is one of the best games anyone can seeâ€

The FC Barcelona captain anticipates a great match between the two powerhouse teams at the San Siro tomorrow

Even though a draw is a good result for Barça, the centre back said, “we intend to win hereâ€

Encouragement for Tito Vilanova

Barça captain, Carles Puyol , said that the news about Tito Vilanova “has been hard.†The centre back said, “I want to send him a lot of strength and a lot of encouragement to him and his family.†Puyol hopes that the assistant coach can“soon be with us at full strength.†The Barça captain added, “if we get a good result we will dedicate it to Tito. It’s an extra motivation for us.â€

"I always wish Milan the best except when we play against them"

“Our intention is to win here, and to win at every stadium. That’s what we’ll do"

“I’m sure Ibra is proud of his time at Barcelonaâ€

Carles Puyol has never hidden his admiration forAC Milan. This Wednesday he will have another chance to play against a team that he defines as his “second club.†But the Barça captain added, “my heart belongs to Barça ... I always wish Milan the best except when we play against them.â€

A five star match

The day before the match at the San Siro, where Barça could secure top spot in their Champions League group, Carles Puyol said that a game between Barça and Milan “is currently one of thebest matches that anyone can see.†Even though a draw would all but ensure top spot in Group H, still having to play against Bate Borisov in the Camp Nou , the player said, “our intention is to win here, and to win at every stadium. That’s what we’ll do. A draw is a good result but we won’t be looking to draw.â€

Aware of Milan’s dangers

The Barça centre back knows that the task of stopping the big-name players like Pato , Robinho or Ibrahimovic largely falls to him. When asked about how he intends to stop the ex-Barca player, Puyol said that wasn’t solely his job, that the team needed to work together in order to defend well. Puyol is aware that Ibrahimovic “is very difficult to stop man to man because he’s big and strong. I’ll have to anticipate him and hold my ground.†Puyol also said that playing against Ibrahimovic “doesn’t mean I have extra motivation to play well. Playing against Milan is motivatn enough.†Puyol finished by saying, “I’m sure Ibrahimovic isproud of his time at Barcelona.â€

FCB,

Anna Segura

Guardiola: “Against Milan, we must play a perfect game or it will be difficult to winâ€

The Barça manager is convinced that to beat a historic and quality team like Milan, Barça needs to play a near perfect game

When asked about Tito Vilanova, who underwent surgery this Tuedasy, an optimistic Guardiola was thankful for the support shown tohis assistant manager, and asked for discretion

"we can't start off playing at 70 or 80% of our potential"

“Milan is a team that is used to playing possession football and they are good with deadballs.â€

We are not playing for a draw, we want to winâ€
Josep Guardiola is convinced that his side will have to put in a near perfect performance at the San Siro if Barça is to take top stop in the group. The Barça boss said "we can't start off playing at 70 or 80% of our potential," while warning that Milan "is a team that is used to playing possession football and they are good with deadballs." However, the manager said that his team will not sacrifice their footballing identity to get a good result, "we will be ourselves when we goout onto the pitch. We are not playing for a draw, we want to win," said Guardiola.

Footballing tradition

The Barça manager is certain that “it’s always better to finish top of the group than second,†principally because finishing first ensures playing the return leg of the knock-out round at home. “When you play against an opponent like Milan there is a sense of tradition, of history... It’sa real honour to play against such a prestigious rival. The most important thing for us is to give a good impression in front of a country with a rich footballing tradition and against such a historic team like Milan,†said Guardiola. He also added that this would be “a good test†for upcoming Champions League matches.

When asked about how he would handle a hypothetical meeting with Zlatan Ibrahimovic , Guardiola said that the most important thing is that their encounter must be natrual. The Barça manager added, “if we meet I’ll be spontaneous and I’ll greet him. He’s a formidable player, and he helped us a lot during his time at Barcelona. I don’t have any problems with Mr Ibrahimovic. I’ve said it before, being real and natural is the most important thing. If we meet, we’ll act like the sportsmen that we are.â€

Encouragement for Tito Vilanova
The main focus of today’s press conference was on Tito Vilanova , who successfully underwent surgery for a parotid gland problem this Tuesday . Guardiola was thankful for all the support his assistant received, support that shows “the affection people have for him.†Guardiola went on to say that Vilanova “is an extraordinary person, he’s very strong. Now we can only wait and hope that everything goes well post-operation so he can start to live a normal life again.â€

The human quality of the group

Lastly, when asked if Abidal ’s sickness last year had prepared the squad to handle the current situation with Tito Vilanova, Guardiola said: “Both cases are similar. Obviously these are two different types of diseases, the impact on the team is hard. Abidal recovered and Tito will as well. Tito and his family are the most important things. We’re part of his small world. The human group of FC Barcelona is extraordinary, mature, ad will face this situation as the fantastic people that they are.â€

FCB,

VANESSA FORNS

Andoni Zubizarreta: “We are playing to topthe group"

Barça’s director of sports has said that the most important aim of the game with AC Milan is to finish top of the group

Zubizarreta also mentioned Tito Vilanova, who hasn’t travelled, saying “I hope his operation goes wellâ€

"Barça plays to maintain its prestige every time the team goes onto the pitch, wherever it is"

On Abidal: "We are working hard to find common ground, and I'm still optimistic"

Andoni Zubizarreta was speaking just before flying to Italy, and underplayed the importance of Wednesday's game at AC Milan . "We are playing to top the group and be one of the seeds,nothing else," he said. But he did admit that it was a "big game against an important team ... Barça plays to maintain its prestige every time the team goes onto the pitch, wherever it is. After this phase comes the one that usually creates the biggest impact."

Heading for the top

The former goalkeeper also spoke about how important it is for the team to have already ensured qualification with two games in hand and hoped that at the San Siro they will be able to give a good account of themselves. "If we do, then we can assure ourselves of top spot, and so much the better," he said, saying that he would never settle for a draw in a game like this.

Zubizarreta also spoke about the team's form going into the match, saying that "I don't believein moments. We have known we were going to Milan for some time. The games are played when they are played, whatever the conditions. Now we have to play this game, and that's all there is to it".

(Best wishes for Tito Vilanova)

Zubizarreta also mentioned Barça's assistant manager, Tito Vilanova , who is not travelling because of a parotid gland operation. "I hope it goes well for him", he said. "But the team are able to deal with news like this ... we will be looking to do well so that Tito can be as relaxed as possible as he watches the game back home".

Asked about the renewal of Abidal 's contract, Zubizarreta was giving nothing away. "We want the negotiations to be held in the right place. Weare working hard to find common ground, and I'm still optimistic" was all he said.

And finally, the man who negotiated Zlatan Ibrahimovic 's departure from the club said that he has no qualms about the forthcoming reencounter with the Swede. "In life you have tolearn to deal with matters like this and if I see Ibrahimovic, I'll say hello," said Zubizarreta."We'll respect him as an opponent, we'll play thegame and later we'll find out whether we'll be meeting again at another stage of this competition."

FCB,

Clara Pariente

FCB Official line up vs Millan:
20.45 (GMT + 1) live on Radio Barça – Barça's starting line-up: Valdés, Puyol, Mascherano, Sergio, Abidal, Keita, Xavi, Cesc, Thiago, Messi and Villa
())(()
bench: Pinto, Piqué, Maxwell, Fontàs, Dos Santos, Alexis and Pedro

AC Milan - FC Barcelona: Group leadership and spectacle (2-3)

Van Bommel (o.g.),
Messi (pen),
and Xavi put Barça ahead 3 times

Ibrahimovic and Boateng twice leveled the score, which could have been greater in Barça’s favour

1 / 2

A historic meeting between two giants of European football promised thrills, but perhaps not so many. FC Barcelona overcame AC Milan 3-2 in a really attacking, and thrilling, match that was resolved thanks to goals from Van Bommel (o.g.), Messi (pen) and Xavi, which meant that Guardiola's team were never behind in the game. Mentally, it wasn't easy for Barça, who saw Ibrahimovic and Boateng equalise twice in a game that, regarding shots on goal, 3 for AC Milan against Barca's 8, could have ended with a much wider margin in favour of the away team.

So, FC Barcelona come away from the San Siro with the group leadership mathematically assured, and with BATE Borisov still to visit the Camp Nou , in the week that Barça have to go and play the Classic, against Real Madrid, in the Santiago Bernabeu .

End-to end match

From the start at the San Siro the fans witnessed a vibrating match. Crazy stuff. Barça went into the game very boldly, starting with a 3-4-3 formation that in attack looked more like 3-3-4 with Cesc and Thiago driving down the middle, and Messi and Villa opening up the wings. The Italians, sitting deep at the back, threatened on the counter-attack, and Prince, Robinho, and Seedorf, always looked for the same player to finish off their good work: Ibrahimovic. No quarter was given, and in the first move of real danger, Barça made it 1-0, when Van Bommel scored an own goal after great ball winning by Thiago , and a Keita cross which Xavi was waiting for.

After the first goal, the match went crazy. Robinho missed a clear chance from three metres, very similar to the chance that Messi missed at the other end, moments later. Before Messi's chance, however, Milan had already equalised with a goal from former Barcelona player, Ibrahimovic, from a Seedorf pass. The match was not much like Barça usually play, somewhat fragile at the back and repeatedly with numerical superiority at the other end, where each attack created a clear scoring opportunity on Abbiati's goal, one of the best players in the first half.

Messi regains the lead

In one of Barça's many chances, Aquilani brought down Xavi, inside the area. Penalty. Aquilani, who had already received a yellow card, escaped being sent off, as the referee showed the yellow card to Nesta. Messi had to score his penalty twice, as the referee deemed that the first time Leo had stopped his forward movement. As if they were the last minutes of the game, Milan poured forward towards Valdes goal in the final stretch of the first half, in which Puyol and Abidal also received yellow cards. At the break, an electric 2-1 lead for Barça at the San Siro.

More goals after the restart

There was certainly no relaxation after the break. Villa and Messi had good chances to score the third, but AC Milan again equalised, following brilliant individual play from Boateng. Barça didn't collapse after this second blow against them. With more control than in the first half, a long period of Barça possession ended with a brilliant Messi through ball to Xavi, who made no mistake, to make it 3-1. Justice was done in Milan, where Guardiola 's team take away a valuable prize: first place in Group H.

FCB,

Roger Bogunyà

Guardiola overtakes Van Gaal in ChampionsLeague victories

With the victory at the San Siro, Guardiola won his 27th match in the top European competition, one more than the Dutchman achieved

Guardiola has only lost five Champions League matches as Barça manager

Josep Guardiola has required only three and a half seasons to become the manager with most wins in the Champions League in the history of FC Barcelona. This Wednesday at the San Siro , he secured his 27th victory in the top European competition, and overtook Louis van Gaal, who won 26 matches in his eight seasons as manager of the first team.

Only five defeats

In the 45 games in charge of the first team in the Champions League , Josep Guardiola has lost only 5 matches and drawn 13. In all, that's 89% of matches without losing. Only Wisla Krakow, Shakhtar Donetsk, Rubin Kazan, Arsenal, and Inter Milan have been capable of defeating Barça, and this season they are undefeated. Comparing these stats with previous managers, Rijkaard had 85% of games without losing, whilst Van Gaal had 83%.

The balance, two titles and a semifinal

This important number of wins explains in part the great trajectory in Europe of Guardiola's team: two titles and a semi-final in three years. This season, Barça have already secured their spot in the last 16, and once again as group leaders, with the return leg at home.

FCB,

Roger Bogunyà

Messi contends for FIFA Puskás Award

www.fcbarcelona.cat

Messi's goal against Arsenal in the Champions League makes the FIFA Puskás Award shortlist, to contend with nine others for best goal of the year

Messi was nominated for the award last year butthe prize went to Hamit Altintop

Leo Messi is once again a contender for the FIFA Puskás Award , an award given to the player judged to have scored the most beautiful goal ofthe year. The Argentinian was up for the prize in 2010 as well. This year, his goal against Arsenal in the return leg of the Champions League knock-out round has been nominated.

The goal was a masterpiece: Iniesta found Messi, who, when confronted by an encroaching Almunia , gently chipped the ball over the sprawled the keeper. Messi, not letting the ball touch the ground, finished off the play with a volley.

The contenders

The other contenders are Wayne Rooney, Dejan Stankovic, Benjamin de Ceulaer, Julio Gómez, Lisandro López, Neymar, Heather O'Reilly , and the two ex-Barça players, Giovani dos Santos and Zlatan Ibrahimovic . This is the third year FIFA has awarded the Puskás Award, previous winners are Cristiano Ronaldo in 2009 and HamitAltintop in 2010.

The award is decided by public vote, the goal that receives the most votes on FIFA’s official webpage wins the FIFA Puskás Award. Voting closes on December 5th.

The winner will be announced at the FIFA Ballond’Or gala, January 9th, 2012. Click here ( http://www.fifa.com/ballondor/puskasaward/index.html ) to vote for Leo Messi’s goal.

FCB

Jonathan dos Santos extends contract till 2015

www.fcbarcelona.cat

The 21-year-old Mexican midfielder will have a buyout clause of 30 million Euros

Jonathan dos Santos

FC Barcelona have reached an agreement with Jonathan dos Santos to extend his contract until the 2014/15 season . His buyout clause will be 30million Euros and the deal will be signed within a few days

The 21-year old Mexican has come up through the youth teams at the Club, after joining the Infantil B team and working his way through theother youth teams before reaching the Barça B squad, where he is currently playing. Pep Guardiola has called him into the first team on few occasions too, most notably in Tuesday night's Champions League game in Milan when he came on as a late substitute.

Dos Santos, who is a full Mexican international, made his first team debut with Barça in the Spanish Cup against Cultural Lleonesa on October 28th 2009

FCB

Adriano declared fit but Iniesta out for Getafe

www.fcbarcelona.cat

For the Liga game with Getafe, Pep Guardiola will be able to count on Adriano and Alves, but Iniesta will be sitting out another game

Twenty players will be heading for Getafe on Saturday, once again including Isaac Cuenca

The squad

Valdés, Pinto, Alves, Piqué, Fàbregas, Puyol, Xavi, Villa, Alexis, Messi, Thiago, Mascherano, Keita, Sergio, Pedro, Maxwell, Adriano, Abidal, Fontàs and Isaac Cuenca.

Barça trained this morning at the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper for the last time before Saturday's fixture with Getafe at the Coliseum Alfonso Pérez (22.00). Adriano joined them for the first time since sustaining a hamstring injury ten days ago, and has been declared fit for inclusion in the 20-man squad that will travel to Madrid. Dani Alves also returns after missing the AC Milan game through suspension, and there is also another chance for the B team's Isaac Cuenca.

No Iniesta

But Andrés Iniesta has failed to recover in time. He has already missed the Milan game due to a groin strain picked up against Zaragoza last weekend. Despite considerable improvement, the pain has not gone away and it was considered best for him to get some more days of rest. His availability for the next few matches will depend on how his recovery progresses.

FC Barcelona fly from El Prat Airport on Saturday morning at 11.00 and should land in Madrid about an hour later.

FCB

Back