Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study WELCOME TO AN IN DEPTH STUDY OF MATTHEW'S GOSPEL.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
No worries, ...but to see him stumble you have to believe he doubted that Jesus was the One, the Messiah, which is what he asked, do we look for another and the word he used is heteros and that means someone or something different (from you), so we can deduced from what he asked he doubted and also from how Jesus responded to the question by quoting from Isa 61:1 and 42:7, both Messianic Scriptures, He was affirming by His works He is the Messiah.

In verse 6 we see Jesus encouraging his cousin, He was sending a message back to him through his disciples, even though he was in prison to be happy, that is: extremely blessed, fortunate, well off, ...which is the point I was trying to make in comparing John's experience in prison with Paul's experience in prison, which comes down to us as,

Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. Php 4:4

And again the in is the same Jesus used in encouraging John in vs 6, it signifies our state in Christ, Jesus wanted His cousin to live by his faith and not his experiences, our doubting comes from relying on experiences, our faith comes from hearing and hearing from the Word of God, that's why there are three commentaries on the just shall live by faith Hab 2:4, Romans explains our justification, Galatians explains how to live and Hebrews explains what faith is, so that we can know how to live a life pleasing to the Father, which allows us to rejoice no matter what the circumstances are, ...for me, I'm almost at the end of my walk with the Lord on this planet, if He tarries, so when I'm walking through the valley of the shadow of death I don't want to be doubting my salvation, I can look back over all of the times I have heard Father tell me to step out in faith and i obeyed, I will be rejoicing in my Lord because I have lived in a personal relationship with Him, I'm going home, that's what David meant when he said, "I shall fear know evil," ............and that's just one more good reason to make sure we believe our salvation is secure IN Him, when the time comes we don't want to be searching Scriptures to try and find the answer.

I hope that helps a little.
It is clear that John heard that the Anointed One was doing these miracles.
I have turned to several commentaries now to see how these verses have been viewed. As expected there are a few different speculations about why John sent his disciples to make this inquiry. :)

What does Jesus say about John's character? As you said, we shall see. :nod

If you don't think he doubted, then what do you attribute his question too?

His ministry only lasted a couple of years, I don't you about you but in the beginning of my walk with the Lord I doubted Him, quite a lot in the first two years, and even after, ...John was human just like us, and yes he had a special ministry, be he still had his carnal nature to deal with.
Which question?

Hi Reba. This is the question. And Deb, here is a statement of John Gill, one of your favorite expositors. (Compliments of e-Sword).

art thou he that should come? A "periphrasis" of the Messiah, well known to the Jews; for he had been spoken of frequently in the prophecies of the Old Testament, as the Shiloh, the Redeemer, the Prophet, and King that should come; particularly, by this circumlocution, reference seems to be had to Hab_2:3. "It shall surely come", כי בא יבא, which may be rendered, "for he that cometh", or "is to come, shall come". So that the question in plain terms is, whether he was the Messiah? John could not be ignorant of this, who had seen the Spirit of God descending on him at his baptism, heard a voice from heaven, declaring him the Son of God; and had so often pointed him out to others, and had borne frequent testimonies that he was the Lamb of God, and bridegroom of his church: wherefore this question was put, not upon his own account, but his disciples, that they might have from the mouth of Christ a full and satisfactory answer, which would remove all their doubts and scruples, and attach them to Christ, now he was about to die, and leave them, than which nothing was more desirable to him. Though some have thought, that John's faith was somewhat slackened; and through his long imprisonment, he began to doubt whether he was the Messiah or not: and others have been of opinion, as particularly Dr. Lightfoot, that the reason of this message was, neither the ignorance and unbelief of John, or his disciples; but that John, with the rest of the Jews, having a notion of a temporal kingdom, and hearing of the mighty works of Christ, wonders that he himself was not delivered out of prison by him, grows impatient upon it, and asks, if he was the Messiah? And if he was, why did he suffer his forerunner and chief minister to lie in prison?

Which question?

Hey reba,

The question John asked in verse three,

And said unto him, Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another? Mat 11:3

May I reiterate, the key to understanding this is the word "another," it's the Greek word heteros, and Vine's explains it's used in the New Testament, or it's root, to mean different, like a different Gospel, different Law, strange tongues, different doctrine, unequally yoked (with a different character).

So, put it to the test, you personally ask the same question in modern day English,

Jesus, are you the Messiah, or should I look for a different (heteros) Messiah to come?

We all know your answer, but does that help you to understand better what John was saying?

John was human, just like us and we all doubt and fail, and it will always be in the area that we are the most confident in and you have already listed all the things John had to be confident about, "...Hey, I'm John the Baptist, cousin to Jesus of Nazareth," ...just like Peter, Lord you are the Son of God and Lord I will never deny you! And in his heart the dear old fisherman believed it, ...but we have all read the rest of the story.

Looking back in my walk I have always failed in the areas I though I was the strongest, I will never do that, and that's exactly what I have done, that's why we made the point of the necessity of having a personal relationship with Jesus 24/7, allowing Him to lead and direct our lives, and we learn of His constant faithfulness through His tender daily care for us, ...we are more precious than sparrows, ...and that knowledge, that understanding, our daily 24/7 experience of His Providential care for us, ...is the cure for doubt.

We all have said, "Lord I believe, help me with my unbelief (doubt), may I humbly and in brotherly love ask you to think about it, "...Are you doubt free or are there things you doubt in your walk with your Lord?"

Blessings

Thanks for the direct answer it is real nice to get them... :)
Because of the false christs running around then as now ... i believe John was just checking to make sure the guy there were talking about was the right one... a good part of my understanding to that is the response of Jesus ...
Mat_11:11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Karl.. you are new at this ( this being this study) and your willingness and guidance is much appreciated ... Please dont let a difference of opinion keep you from carrying on.:)

Thanks for the direct answer it is real nice to get them... :)
Because of the false christs running around then as now ... i believe John was just checking to make sure the guy there were talking about was the right one... a good part of my understanding to that is the response of Jesus ...
Mat_11:11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Karl.. you are new at this ( this being this study) and your willingness and guidance is much appreciated ... Please dont let a difference of opinion keep you from carrying on.:)

No worries sis, ...I'll hang out here for as long as you will have me.

Luv ya

Mat 11:7 And as they departed, Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken with the wind?
8 But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment? behold, they that wear soft clothing are in kings' houses.
9 But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? yea, I say unto you, and more than a prophet.

Happy New Year everyone, it’s 2015, I’ve lived twice as long as I originally thought I would, …thank you Jesus!

Father we open your Word on the first day of a new year, may it be the beginning of an new year of seeing and finding many wonderful treasures in Your Word that will cause us to grow in the love, grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ, for it’s in His name we ask.

VS 7. And as they departed, Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken with the wind?

As the disciples departed, …the multitude following Jesus had heard their question, they were Greek speaking, they knew the meaning and usage of the word heteros, Jesus now starts to calm any doubts about Him being the Messiah that might have been raised by the question John’s disciples brought (remember, we are entering into chapter eleven, the beginning of the Book where they begin to doubt Jesus is their King and is ultimately rejected) and at the same time to cause them to reflect on what they really believed, …and we will also see Him commending His cousin.

Jesus, knowing all men’s hearts, was asking them to consider what did they, multitudes from Jerusalem, Judea and the country surrounding the Jordan go out to the wilderness to see, a man much different than they were accustomed to seeing. And the word see means to look at closely, intensively, to perceive, John was a strange character, because his parents were old and stricken in age, probably in their sixties when he was born, he was orphaned at a young age, which could be the reason he decided to go hang out in the desert living off of the wild.

We need to set the stage for this; people were looking for the Jewish Messiah to come, and they believed Elijah would return before Him, the Pharisees even directly asked John if he was Elijah and he denied it, also added into this is the prophecy of,

The scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be. Gen 49:10

But they believed the scepter had departed from Judah because the Roman gov’t had taken the right of capital punishment (the scepter) away from the Sanhedrin, the ruling Jewish authority, hence Pilate telling the Sanhedrin to execute Jesus and they responded they didn’t have the right, …but unknown to them Shiloh had come and was living in the city of Nazareth, …maybe even working in a carpenter’s shop.

Only to a select few was the Messiah as a Babe revealed, so everyone was in hope, anxiously awaiting their Messiah and then comes on the scene this strange, bizarre character, John the Baptist, baptizing people in the Jordan.

So Jesus asks them the question what did you expect to see, a reed shaken in the wind?

The Jordan had many reeds lining it’s banks and it was a familiar image Jesus used to address these people, and reeds are know to sway in the breeze, Jesus was asking the multitude, because of John’s imprisonment and his question, do you think he is like a reed being blown however the wind may, do you think he has changed his mind as to what his message was and to who I am? Jesus is asking them about their loyalty to the message of John; do you think I am the Messiah?

VS 8. But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment? behold, they that wear soft clothing are in kings' houses.

Jesus is asking, alright, because of his character, his clothing, his diet, as compared to one in fine linen, well known and in a respected position, what do you think?

Requiring them to think about, reflect on his character, he was a man of integrity, his message was directly out of their Tanach (the Hebrew Bible), his words had authority and power, he wasn’t afraid of speaking the Truth or confrontation, …that’s why he was in prison, compared to the character of those they were familiar with that wore fine clothes and lived in king’s houses, that they no doubt saw every day in their streets going about their petty business.

VS 9. But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? yea, I say unto you, and more than a prophet.

Jesus is asking them again to think about what they had seen, to reflect on his message and his character, did the words fit the man, was he just a reed shaking in the wind or more? Yes John was in prison, but he is a prophet, and more than their greatest Prophets, those before John had spoke of the Messiah’s coming, John had born witnessed to it, had pointed the people to their Messiah, God had spoken to him in the desert Luke 3:2, he had seen the Dove descend on Jesus Matt 3:16, he had heard the Voice of the Father declare, “Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased” Luke 3:22 and he had pointed the people to the Lamb of God John 1:29, yes, John the Baptist was more than a Prophet, he was chosen by God to be the forerunner of their Messiah.

We must remember, storm clouds are gathering, those in authority are planning how to get rid of this itinerant Jewish Rabbi who was not one of their own. Chapters eight, nine and ten of Mathew’s Gospel revealed to the people the King’s authority and power to be their King, starting in chapter eleven Jesus is reminding the people of what they have seen, to reflect on if it was just frivolous head knowledge or was it an anchor for their souls.

And so it is with us, who is Jesus to/for us, do we have a head knowledge, or has this knowledge taken the longest journey known to man and descended the 18 inches into our hearts, …is He our Rock, the Anchor of our souls? I sure hope so, and I hope there isn’t anyone reading this that is like this multitude who in the future will cry out, “We will not have this Man to rule over us!”

Jesus is just getting started here; we will see Him speak even more favorably of John in our next study.

I hope this study brings encouragement to all who read, I personally believe the text indicates John was doubting, for those that don’t see it that way, no problem, we love you all, what we all can take away from this is Jesus commending John and can be likened to how Father is proud of His children, admittedly, we have all made mistakes, but His love, mercy and grace are so grand and without limit that they cover and hide them, …I personally believe He is a proud Father watching us just waiting for even the slightest reason to exclaim to the Heavenly host, “Did you see that, that’s my boy/girl (insert your name), I’m proud of him/her!”

Comments, additions, thoughts are welcomed,

Tomorrow’s study, Matthew 11:10, 11

Lord bless you all.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

This January 1, 2015, is my first day at CF Net.

Chopper invited me here from a welcoming thread I responded to earlier today.

Studying Matthiew, then Leveticus. Sure. I can join on that project.

I'd like to present myself from a little bit of a different angle than I did in my profile here at CF Net.

Our local church is currently going through 1 and 2 Peter. I am preparing a message on 1 Peter 5 for February and one on 2 Peter 1 for March. My wife and I are leading one of the small group Bible discussion meeting in each other's home. I find it important when preparing discussion questions to keep personal application in mind.

One of my projects as of August 2014 has been to read through the Bible from Genesis to Revelations. In that context, I read Leviticus in September, skipping the detailed portions I did not really understand. So I'll be glad to read it again in the context of this Bible study group at CF Net.

I love Matthew. I read it for the last time in August 2014. So depending where you are at in this book. I'll probably read it at least once in the context of the present discussion.

I must go now.

My wife and I are going to have a nice walk under the snow I see falling watching through my office window on this new year's Day that the Lord has made.

Last edited:
Hi Reba. This is the question. And Deb, here is a statement of John Gill, one of your favorite expositors. (Compliments of e-Sword).
Yes, as I said I turned to several different commentaries, Gill was one of four. And found there were several different ideas about why John sent the disciples to make inquiries. Thanks Chopper. :)

Yes, as I said I turned to several different commentaries, Gill was one of four. And found there were several different ideas about why John sent the disciples to make inquiries. Thanks Chopper. :)

You're welcome Deb. You know? I did wonder about the Disciples of John if they were really the ones who had the question, and kept asking John who got tired of their questions and John said, "why don't you just go and ask Him." What's your thinking on that possibility?

What strikes me as I read Matthew 11:1-19 is that John the Baptist was a humble man by any standards, yet He was declared by our Lord as the greatest man who ever lived. (Mt 11:11, NIV 2011).

But what really astonishes me, is that you and I even if we are the least in God's kingdom have been declared greater than John (Mt 11:11, NIV). We are here in a different order of reality.

You're welcome Deb. You know? I did wonder about the Disciples of John if they were really the ones who had the question, and kept asking John who got tired of their questions and John said, "why don't you just go and ask Him." What's your thinking on that possibility?
lol, That could very well be true.

What strikes me as I read Matthew 11:1-19 is that John the Baptist was a humble man by any standards, yet He was declared by our Lord as the greatest man who ever lived. (Mt 11:11, NIV 2011).

But what really astonishes me, is that you and I even if we are the least in God's kingdom have been declared greater than John (Mt 11:11, NIV). We are here in a different order of reality.
There is a Jewish saying that goes something like this...
"Even the maid servant passing through the Red Sea, saw what neither Ezekiel or any other prophet had seen."
So it is with those who lived and live after the cross, resurrection and the giving of the Holy Spirit. We have seen the kingdom come in Christ, as neither John or any prophet before him saw.
The reality of the prophecy.

Welcome Daniel, I'm real glad you took me up on the invitation. Your mention of the "least" in the Kingdom happened yesterday. When I entered "Rite Aid" drug store, I saw a homeless man huddled up in a corner outside in the cold wind. I don't think it got above 20 degrees. When I saw him, my thought was to give him $5.00 when I came out. When I paid the bill I had $11.00 left. For some reason (hint, Holy Spirit) caused me to keep the money in my hand and tell him, "this is for you, it's all I have." He received the money with great approval saying "I'm going across the Street and get a burger I'm very hungry". Jesus said, I was hungry and you fed me not........Because you didn't do it to the least of these you didn't do it to me. The Book of Matthew is so filled with instruction like this, and I simply love the Gospels.

Mat 11:10 For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.

11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Father as we continue to study Your Word, we acknowledge that without you we can do nothing, so we ask, by the anointing of Your Holy Spirit, that He would guide us into all Truth, we ask in the name of Jesus.

VS 10. For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.

One thing that constantly amazes me is how Scripture interprets Scripture, we have just seen Jesus questioning the multitude, first, about who John the Baptist was and second, what was his message. Jesus now removes all doubt as to who John was and who He Himself is by quoting from the book of Malachi,

Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts. Mal 3:1

John was the chosen messenger of God to announce to Israel the coming of their Messiah, preparing His way by baptizing the crowds with a baptism of repentance and we read in John’s Gospel at the beginning of Jesus’ ministry He went up to Jerusalem for the celebration of the Passover and John tells us He came suddenly with a whip and cleaned house in the Temple, turning over the money changers tables and driving out the animals.

I have read the Synagogue wasn’t just a place of worship for the Jews, but served as a library too, it wasn’t like today, where we all own many different Bibles, most couldn’t afford a Scroll even if one was available, so that meant the men could go to their Synagogue, check out a Scroll and read the Word, also we need to remember there weren’t any chapter and verse divisions (that is why Luke tells us when Jesus was handed the Scroll He found the place it was written and then quoted from Isa 61.

With that in mind we can understand from Jesus quoting Mal 3 to the crowd, they would have been familiar with the entire Scroll of Malachi, all 55 verses and the Holy Spirit was operating 24/7 during Jesus’ ministry and no doubt caused the crowd before Jesus to flashback on the question in their minds, …are you the Messiah?

Ye have wearied the LORD with your words. Yet ye say, Wherein have we wearied him? When ye say, Every one that doeth evil is good in the sight of the LORD, and he delighteth in them; or, Where is the God of judgment? Mal 2:17

And there He was, sitting before them, with the physical proof attested to from Scripture, John was the messenger and He had come suddenly to His Temple in judgment and the Holy Spirit was saying to them in their hearts, just like He does in ours, “It’s true, it’s true, Prophecy has been fulfilled, here is your Messiah!”

I have found the more Word I have in me the more the Holy Spirit can use to teach me, it’s like a string of firecrackers tied to one fuse, light the fuse and the firecrackers begin to explode in rapid succession, one after one in order, sometimes the Holy Spirit is like that with me, He will light off a string of firecrackers, that is, He will illuminate one verse and other verses that correspond with it, that are tied together as one and they will all start to flash through my mind, I will admit I don’t usually remember all of what He revealed to me, very few actually, …that’s the problem with my finite mind and the infinite Word of God, but one day, when I put off corruption for incorruption I will be able to follow along, …that will be so glorious, hanging out in the Word, …opps, back to our study, that’s why I personally believe when the Word was speaking the Holy Spirit was putting it all together for them, firing off, illuminating all of the Prophecies about the Messiah, going backwards from Malachi to the Seed of the Woman in Genesis, I also believe that is the reason for the sever condemnation on the cities that heard the Word anointed by the Holy Spirit and rejected it, …but we’re getting ahead of ourselves.

VS 11. Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Jesus is putting the icing on the cake, if you can receive what I said about the Holy Spirit illuminating the crowd with the words of the Prophets that came before John then we can understand what Jesus is saying here, in effect, all the others had prophesied about me, not know what the meaning was of their prophecy, but John knew Me, he saw Me, he touched ME, spoke to Me, that is why John is greater Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Joshua, Samuel, David, Solomon, Elisha, Elijah, Daniel and all of the others they held in admiration, why, because of his message, “Behold the Lamb of God!” I can see John pointing at Jesus, ...there He is, walking among us and with us.

Jesus was now announcing a changing of the dispensation, the dispensation of the Law was coming to a close and a new dispensation of grace Eph 3:2 was about to begin, the Church, Jew and Gentile believers united together in one Body with the Head being Jesus Christ.

John was only one of maybe a very few in the Old Testament that were filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his birth Luke 1:15 but even though he was filled with the Holy Spirit John was in the dispensation of the Law and could not enter into the dispensation of Grace, in this new dispensation, the Church, we are born into to it not by our physical parents as John was into his, but by our spiritual parents, the Holy Spirit and the Word 1 Pet 1:23, we are born with the Holy Spirit living in us, but we are told we can be filled with the Holy Spirit and that happens when we are ready to serve the Lord in ministry, same way it was with John, he was filled with the Holy Spirit to serve the Lord in ministry.

That is why one of the least in the Kingdom is greater than the Messenger of the Messiah, John ate with Him, touched Him, spoke to Him, spoke about Him, …but that is the great mystery revealed that Paul talks about, ...the Messiah is living inside of us and we are in Him, …Christ Jesus our Lord.

Comments, additions, thoughts are welcomed,

Tomorrow’s study, Matthew 11:12-15

Lord bless you, God loves you.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back