Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study WELCOME TO AN IN DEPTH STUDY OF MATTHEW'S GOSPEL.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
After the Holy Spirit came:
One can handle some more
One can handle some less

Philippians 4:12
I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

Reba got it right. Our foundation is not based on our poverty or our abundance.

We are founded on Christ Jesus.

eddif

Christ the Only Foundation
11For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,13each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work.…

I am away from home ... i do not have my normal resources :) Great to see ya posting Chopper

Thanks my old Buddy. Oh boy, I've been praying that your move would be as smooth as possible, considering that the old devil likes to get in a few jabs to God's special Saints such as you Reba....Please pace yourself, you and I aren't getting any younger you know.

I sure hope all gets settled real soon and you'll be back on line as much as you like....Love you, :hug

September 3rd Matthew 17:1-8 A Divine Encouragement.

Matthew 17:1 "And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 17:2 And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light. 17:3 And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. 17:4 And Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah." 17:5 He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him." 17:6 When the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces and were terrified. 17:7 But Jesus came and touched them, saying, "Rise, and have no fear." 17:8 And when they lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only." (ESV) All Scripture taken from e-Sword.com.

The word "transfigure" means, in this case, to change the outward appearance. It is my opinion that there was a change from Jesus' earthly appearance to His divine appearance, perhaps some of the glory that was His prior to coming to the earth, followed Him and came bursting out along with Moses and Elijah. Perhaps there was a hint of how He would appear as King Jesus during His millennial reign on earth that will last for one thousand years.

There's not much said about what Jesus, Moses and Elijah talked about but since Jesus would go to the cross and be crucified, it's probably safe to assume that they talked about that. I would imagine that Moses spoke about the Law, and Elijah spoke about all the prophesies about Jesus' death and resurrection and encouraged Jesus that everything that has been said depends of Jesus fulfilling the Law and Prophets by His dying.

I find it interesting that neither Moses or Elijah died a natural death as we know it....Moses died up on the mountain with God at his side. Boy, what a way to die! Moses was so important to the plan of God for the Nation of Israel that when it came time for His faithful old servant to die, it would be in the arms of Almighty God. I have a rich imagination and I can picture Moses being embraced by his faithful Creator and Leader as he gently slips away from the troubles of this old world into the embrace of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. This is what the Scripture says.

Deuteronomy 34:1 "Then Moses went up from the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, which is opposite Jericho. And the LORD showed him all the land, Gilead as far as Dan, 34:5 So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD, 34:6 and he buried him in the valley in the land of Moab opposite Beth-peor; but no one knows the place of his burial to this day."

Then there was Elijah. What a great Prophet of God! He probably would have recited several prophesies about Jesus' life and death. Elijah would have encouraged Jesus to press forward in spite of the terror. Elijah along with Moses couldn't explain the process of death because he too had an unusual exit from this life to the next. This is what the Scripture says about Elijah's exit.

2Kings 2:11 "And as they still went on and talked, behold, chariots of fire and horses of fire separated the two of them. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven."

When Jesus was on the Mount of Olives, He prayed,
Luke 22:42 saying, "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done." This was so dramatic that Luke 22:43 "And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him." Wow, I wonder if that would have been Michael the Archangel. At any rate, I think it helps us to appreciate all the more what Jesus did for us as we see this great struggle that Jesus had to pass thru even though His trial and crucifixion hadn't even happened yet.

As the disciples were questioning Jesus as to building a tent for Him, Moses and Elijah, a very bright cloud overshadowed them and from that cloud came the voice of Almighty God. I'm sure, I would have reacted just like the disciples, I'd hit the dirt! I think it's important to understand why God said what He said. V.5 "This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to Him."

Now Jesus, to the Disciples, was a man like them. Now comes Moses and Elijah. It stands to reason that the Disciples would have thought that anything Moses or Elijah said would be most important, BUT, God says to hear His Son. That would mean that of the three, Jesus was the most important. Moses who represented the Law, and Elijah who represented the Prophets, were subject to Jesus and an upcoming New Covenant. God was preparing these new preachers of a new way of representing Him because "Good News" is coming.

There's not much said about what Jesus, Moses and Elijah talked about but since Jesus would go to the cross and be crucified, it's probably safe to assume that they talked about that. I would imagine that Moses spoke about the Law, and Elijah spoke about all the prophesies about Jesus' death and resurrection and encouraged Jesus that everything that has been said depends of Jesus fulfilling the Law and Prophets by His dying.

Good assumption.

Luke 9:29-31
And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering. And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elias: Who appeared in glory, and spake of his decease which he should accomplish at Jerusalem.

This of course begs the question: At what point did Jesus actually understand that he was to be crucified? Did he always know? Or was it just confirmed to him at this point by Moses and Elijah who were acting as ministering angels?

Last edited:
September 3rd Matthew 17:1-8 A Divine Encouragement.

Matthew 17:1 "And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 17:2 And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light. 17:3 And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. 17:4 And Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah." 17:5 He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him." 17:6 When the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces and were terrified. 17:7 But Jesus came and touched them, saying, "Rise, and have no fear." 17:8 And when they lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only." (ESV) All Scripture taken from e-Sword.com.

The word "transfigure" means, in this case, to change the outward appearance. It is my opinion that there was a change from Jesus' earthly appearance to His divine appearance, perhaps some of the glory that was His prior to coming to the earth, followed Him and came bursting out along with Moses and Elijah. Perhaps there was a hint of how He would appear as King Jesus during His millennial reign on earth that will last for one thousand years.

I find it interesting that neither Moses or Elijah died a natural death as we know it....Moses died up on the mountain with God at his side. Boy, what a way to die! Moses was so important to the plan of God for the Nation of Israel that when it came time for His faithful old servant to die, it would be in the arms of Almighty God. I have a rich imagination and I can picture Moses being embraced by his faithful Creator and Leader as he gently slips away from the troubles of this old world into the embrace of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. This is what the Scripture says.

Deuteronomy 34:1 "Then Moses went up from the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo, to the top of Pisgah, which is opposite Jericho. And the LORD showed him all the land, Gilead as far as Dan, 34:5 So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD, 34:6 and he buried him in the valley in the land of Moab opposite Beth-peor; but no one knows the place of his burial to this day."

Then there was Elijah. What a great Prophet of God! He probably would have recited several prophesies about Jesus' life and death. Elijah would have encouraged Jesus to press forward in spite of the terror. Elijah along with Moses couldn't explain the process of death because he too had an unusual exit from this life to the next. This is what the Scripture says about Elijah's exit.

2Kings 2:11 "And as they still went on and talked, behold, chariots of fire and horses of fire separated the two of them. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven."

When Jesus was on the Mount of Olives, He prayed,
Luke 22:42 saying, "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done." This was so dramatic that Luke 22:43 "And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him." Wow, I wonder if that would have been Michael the Archangel. At any rate, I think it helps us to appreciate all the more what Jesus did for us as we see this great struggle that Jesus had to pass thru even though His trial and crucifixion hadn't even happened yet.

As the disciples were questioning Jesus as to building a tent for Him, Moses and Elijah, a very bright cloud overshadowed them and from that cloud came the voice of Almighty God. I'm sure, I would have reacted just like the disciples, I'd hit the dirt! I think it's important to understand why God said what He said. V.5 "This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to Him."

Now Jesus, to the Disciples, was a man like them. Now comes Moses and Elijah. It stands to reason that the Disciples would have thought that anything Moses or Elijah said would be most important, BUT, God says to hear His Son. That would mean that of the three, Jesus was the most important. Moses who represented the Law, and Elijah who represented the Prophets, were subject to Jesus and an upcoming New Covenant. God was preparing these new preachers of a new way of representing Him because "Good News" is coming.
Could you imagine being Peter, James, and John? What an experience that would have been. Even if there were no words spoken this experience would have been life changing. No wonder after they were filled with the Holy Spirit they were such mighty men of God. They had the ultimate Earthly experience with the Lord.

Good assumption.

Luke 9:29-31
And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering. And, behold, there talked with him two men, which were Moses and Elias: Who appeared in glory, and spake of his decease which he should accomplish at Jerusalem.

This of course begs the question: At what point did Jesus actually understand that he was to be crucified? Did he always know? Or was it just confirmed to him at this point by Moses and Elijah who were acting as ministering angels?

Oh boy, good question! To answer it I'd have to go all the way back to Genesis 3:15...."And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." (KJV)

It is generally believed that hostility and or hatred was instituted by Yehovah Elohiym between the posterity of Satan, his demons and the woman's posterity which extends to Christ Jesus. Since the plural name Elohiym is used, this places Jesus as the One who would cripple the headship of Satan.

Having said that, I believe that Jesus always knew His role in the deliverance of mankind from the ravages of sin. Consider Philippians 2:5 "Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 2:6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 2:7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 2:8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." (ESV)

The reason I used this portion of Scripture was to point out a difficult verse to interpret. Look at V.6, "did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped" This means that at some point in the past, could be before mankind was even created, there were conversations in Heaven between the Father, Son, and Spirit concerning the Son coming to earth to redeem sinners by dying on a cross. Now, the verse says "did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped." This means that Jesus did not refuse to stay with the other Two. He could have said, "no, I won't leave" but He didn't, He let go and came to be born as our Savior.

EZ, I've said all that to answer your question, Jesus always knew is my thinking. The appearance of Moses and Elijah must have been encouraging to Jesus to actually fellowship for a short time with Heavenly visitors.

Having said that, I believe that Jesus always knew His role in the deliverance of mankind from the ravages of sin. Consider Philippians 2:5 "Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 2:6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 2:7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 2:8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." (ESV)

The reason I used this portion of Scripture was to point out a difficult verse to interpret. Look at V.6, "did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped" This means that at some point in the past, could be before mankind was even created, there were conversations in Heaven between the Father, Son, and Spirit concerning the Son coming to earth to redeem sinners by dying on a cross. Now, the verse says "did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped." This means that Jesus did not refuse to stay with the other Two. He could have said, "no, I won't leave" but He didn't, He let go and came to be born as our Savior.

I will admit that to me the ESV translation is hard to grasp the way it is worded. But the KJV version seemed pretty easy to grasp the concept.

Philippians 2:6-7 (KJV)
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men.

Philippians 2:6-7 (NKJV)
who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.

Philippians 2:6-7 (ASV)
who, existing in the form of God, counted not the being on an equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men.

"did not consider it robbery to be equal with God"
I have always understood this in the context with the comments of Jesus when he said the following:
I AM.
I and the Father are one.
He who has seen Me has seen the Father.

I will admit that to me the ESV translation is hard to grasp the way it is worded. But the KJV version seemed pretty easy to grasp the concept.

Philippians 2:6-7 (KJV)
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men.

Philippians 2:6-7 (NKJV)
who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.

Philippians 2:6-7 (ASV)
who, existing in the form of God, counted not the being on an equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men.

"did not consider it robbery to be equal with God"
I have always understood this in the context with the comments of Jesus when he said the following:
I AM.
I and the Father are one.
He who has seen Me has seen the Father.

ezrider, I really like your questions because they cause me to shake off the cobwebs off my old and fading memory.
Philippians 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God. (KJV)
Philippians 2:6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped (ESV)

Here is a verse of Scripture that indeed is difficult for the average student of Scripture to understand because there is more to it's meaning than meets the eye....Actually, the ESV translators picked up on what is missing in the KJV.

The KJV rendering says to us, Jesus speaking, I don't have to fabricate, lie, or rob God of an attribute because I am equal with the Father and we share the same nature. John 10:30 "I and my Father are one." AND John 14:9 "Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?"

The ESV rendering says to us, To be equal with the Father must have been a wonderful thing, to say the least, for Jesus. So what is Jesus going to do when it comes time for Him to leave the "Form of God" and become the "Form of man? The Verse says that equality with God, in the Form of God will not be "grasped" or held onto preventing Jesus to take on the form of man and be crucified on a cruel cross.

I'm with you ez in that when I see Jesus saying "I Am" my mind goes back to the burning bush. When I see "He who has seen Me has seen the Father." That tells me that Jesus is the visible representation of the invisible God.

ezrider, I really like your questions because they cause me to shake off the cobwebs off my old and fading memory.
Philippians 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God. (KJV)
Philippians 2:6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped (ESV)

Here is a verse of Scripture that indeed is difficult for the average student of Scripture to understand because there is more to it's meaning than meets the eye....Actually, the ESV translators picked up on what is missing in the KJV.

The KJV rendering says to us, Jesus speaking, I don't have to fabricate, lie, or rob God of an attribute because I am equal with the Father and we share the same nature. John 10:30 "I and my Father are one." AND John 14:9 "Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?"

The ESV rendering says to us, To be equal with the Father must have been a wonderful thing, to say the least, for Jesus. So what is Jesus going to do when it comes time for Him to leave the "Form of God" and become the "Form of man? The Verse says that equality with God, in the Form of God will not be "grasped" or held onto preventing Jesus to take on the form of man and be crucified on a cruel cross.

I'm with you ez in that when I see Jesus saying "I Am" my mind goes back to the burning bush. When I see "He who has seen Me has seen the Father." That tells me that Jesus is the visible representation of the invisible God.

Thanks Chopper, that explanation helped to see into a translation that I am not familiar with.

So now I will challenge you to address the next thought that actually precedes this verses.

Philippians 2:5 (KJV)
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 2:6 (ESV)
Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus.

And yes I will say this is very hard to grasp, but if this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus, do you think you can ever find a point where you can say with confidence by the power of the Holy Spirit; That I and the Father are One?

John 14:23
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Thanks Chopper, that explanation helped to see into a translation that I am not familiar with.

So now I will challenge you to address the next thought that actually precedes this verses.

Philippians 2:5 (KJV)
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 2:6 (ESV)
Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus.

And yes I will say this is very hard to grasp, but if this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus, do you think you can ever find a point where you can say with confidence by the power of the Holy Spirit; That I and the Father are One?

John 14:23
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

OK, a couple of fine questions there my friend....First, you ask to explain, "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus" to answer that lets look at verses 1-4,
Phillippians 2:1 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, 2:2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. 2:4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

Because a child of God has received from the hand of God the wonderful gifts of love, mercy, and fellowship of the Spirit, God, thru the Spirit is requesting that we do the same to others. A sort of hidden request is that God's children be of one accord and of one mind. I see that again in 1 Corinthians 1:10. "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

One of the greatest pictures of the Glory of God, there are many visible outlets of His Glory, is unity! The Trinity of the Godhead is God's example to us that unity is possible if we live, walk, and function in the Spirit....Marriage is another requirement of unity in that the two become one.

So, in order to duplicate the mind of Christ Jesus, we must seek unity in our decisions, must seek the well being of others even before our own needs, and above all, a humble lifestyle as a servant to others rather than being served by others. This is the mind of Christ Jesus and a great mind to have. After all, Jesus did not remain in the beauty of Heaven, He came to this sin torn world to set us free from sin so we could escape the judgment that will come on all wickedness. Bless the Name of Jesus, the greatest Servant of them all.

Now to your second question about being one with the Father....Yes, I am one with the Godhead, let me explain. Lets look at Galatians 2:20. "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."

So, John 14:23 is a reality in my life because of Galatians 2:20.

Thank you Chopper!

Your explanations are a great help to me.

I read, study, and try to comprehend but sometimes it's easier for me when I "hear" someone else explain it.

September 9th 2015 Matthew 17:9-13 Jesus' Forerunner.

Matthew 17:9 "And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead. 17:10 And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the scribes that Elias must first come? 17:11 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things. 17:12 But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them. 17:13 Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist."

My mind goes to the Gospel of John Chapter one.
John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 1:2 He was in the beginning with God. 1:3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made." These three Verses picture Jesus with God the Father, and that Jesus was God and that He created the mountain that He, Peter, James, and John were walking down.

If Peter had figured out that Jesus actually created that mountain, he might have said, "Jesus, your mountain is sure beautiful, thanks for making it, I love mountain climbing."

Jesus instructed His inner circle, Peter James and John not to speak to others of what they had seen. The word vision simply means what they saw. Probably because the others would not believe it. But, it would make sense to the others after Jesus rose from the dead because Moses & Elijah were encouraging Jesus in His time of tremendous need. You see, no one that was around Jesus had a clue to what Jesus would face coming right up. Jesus, at this point was all alone and the human side of Him was hurting real bad.

No matter how hard the trial is that we might have to face, we can rest assured that our loving Lord will somehow send into our lives something or someone who will put an arm around our shoulder or if not, the Holy Spirit of God will hug us on the inside of us. I know that to be true because I've felt those hugs.

I'm not very sure just why the Disciples asked about Elijah, perhaps they were wondering if Jesus was the Messiah, when did Elijah come? Jesus gives them two instances in which Elijah came or would come. The first appearance of Elijah was John the Baptist in that He came in the spirit and power of Elijah and as it says, "the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist."

The second, future, appearance of Elijah would be during the second half of the Tribulation period found in Revelation 11:3-11 when two witnesses sent from God who just might be Elijah and Moses. Revelation 11:6 "They have the power to shut the sky, that no rain may fall during the days of their prophesying, and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood and to strike the earth with every kind of plague, as often as they desire." Sure sounds like Elijah and Moses to me.

Every once in a while, I feel that I should let you know which translation of the Bible I use. That is the ESV or English Standard Version. I'm very grateful for the free use of e-Sword.net for copying the Scriptures. Other than the ESV, I use the KJV. I personally am not comfortable with the other translations for reasons private to me.

Jesus bore our chastizement.

Then along with the hugs come this:
Hebrews 12:8
But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

Rod and staff. Drawn near with the crook of the staff; to receive a hug.

Rapped with the rod ; to be directed.

The mind of Christ is in good shape, but the flesh still is under work.
Romans 7:25
John prepares the way ( Elijah)
Jesus bears the sins
Jesus will interceed
Holy Spirit will empower later

In the meantime Jesus is evidently going one step at a time. Repentance.
Suffering on cross
Then later the resurrection / glorification message (wait till later to speak of this).

Matthew 17:9
And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.

Leviticus 19:19
Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.

You have to keep thoughts seperate (just lake the shadow of seperation given in the Law).

Little complex but, Matthew is an interesting book.

eddif

It really is strange how a supernatural experience that you have can be so hard for someone else to believe you just because it didn't happen to them. Many times jealousy is the answer to that, sorry to say.

October 9th 2015 Matthew 17:14-21 Text: Half Full Faith Tank.

Matthew 17:14 "And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying, 17:15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water. 17:16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him. 17:17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me. 17:18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him; and the child was cured from that very hour. 17:19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out? 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. 17:21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."

This portion of Scripture has always been very interesting to me for several reasons. First of all, this "certain man" interests me because I believe he would be a Jew and he calls Jesus "Lord". I wonder if he was one of the many folk who believed in Jesus, or just someone being polite because he wanted something from Jesus. The word "Lord" that he used is interpreted "Kurios" meaning "Supreme in authority". So he was aware of a great power in Jesus otherwise he wouldn't have asked Him to heal his son.

The next thing that's interesting to me is that the disciples, those closest to Jesus, were very successful in the power that Jesus gave them to heal the sick, etc, etc. Now, this man's son poses a problem. The Disciples failed in healing this person....Lets look at the term used for his sickness. The KJV says lunatic as well as many other translations. The ESV says epileptic.

Now this is where it gets puzzling. If epilepsy, with epileptic seizures could account for the falling into a fire and or water, then it's a medical problem. Epilepsy is a chronic (long-lasting) medical condition marked by recurrent epileptic seizures. An epileptic seizure is an event of altered brain....BUT, Jesus knew that the problem was demon possession and cast out a demon. V.18 says, "Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him; and the child was cured from that very hour."

Here is another interesting part of this encounter. It concerns Verse 21, as it's not in the best manuscripts I'm told. Personally I believe it's valid and here's why. Jesus says, "Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." There is a wonderful aspect to prayer and fasting and that is being still before the Lord. I loved what King David used to do when he had a decision to make. The Scripture says that he "inquired of the Lord".

There are times when, for some reason, I'm asked to pray for someone. Before I can do much of anything, I must inquire of the Lord! How else will I know what to pray for. Our wonderful Lord has a determined will for His Children. When I set a time to fast and pray for a person, in reality, I'm seeking the will of God for the person I'm praying for so my prayer is to the need....In the case of this child, his need was either a medical problem or demon possession. The Disciples might have been praying for a healing from epilepsy when rebuking a demon and casting it out was necessary.

Faith is a gift from God. I have found that people who spend hours and hours taking in the Word of God thru structured study, serious prayer for wisdom, continual surrender to God which produces trust, this person has been gifted with much faith when it comes to a situation when great faith is needed.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back