Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

What defines a christian?

Zeth4500

so- its been maybe a few months since i started taking the bible more seriously and trying to follow it the best i can, using it as guidance for right and wrong
but im not sure if i can call myself a christian yet
what would be the most important questions to define whether you are a christian or not?

i guess you could say that- i rather speak directly to god as ive heard thats a more direct way although neither is really incorrect. i ask for his guidance on the regular and i try to apply the writings to my life
i guess im just confused as im looking for like a tipping point- although ive lived most of my life in honesty and justice
maybe im just unsure if i can call myself a christian if i dont agree with everything in the bible- as there are contradictions across the different versions and parts and chapters

so- its been maybe a few months since i started taking the bible more seriously and trying to follow it the best i can, using it as guidance for right and wrong
what would be the most important questions to define whether you are a christian or not?
Whether or not you believe that you are a sinner in need of God's grace and that only through putting your full trust in Jesus, in his death and resurrection for your salvation, you can be saved and reconciled to God. Also, whether or not your desires have changed and you feel convicted when you do wrong things.

Of course, being a Christian isn't a matter of doing right and not wrong, or doing more right than wrong, it is a matter of whether or not you have submitted to Jesus as Lord of all of your life.

What do you think will change so that you could call yourself a Christian?
I became one over 40 years ago and have learned many things along the way and have become better at obeying God.

You don't wait to be perfect,
and then go to God.
You go to God,
and then you become perfect.

Perfect in God's sense, of course.
You will never be perfect until glorification, which comes after death.

If you believe in God, believe Jesus is His Son and you are a disciple of Jesus and intend to follow Him,
then you're a Christian.

You do your best,
Jesus does the rest.

Blessings and welcome to the forum!

Here are three basic scriptures to start with that define us as being a Christian when we humble our hearts and call on His name. God's grace through faith as we believe Jesus truly is the Son of God who has taken our sins away through His death and God raised Him up on the third day and now sits at the right hand of God making intercession for all who will call on His name coming to God's throne of grace.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

If you have followed through with all of this then you are a child of God. If you want to learn what is right from wrong I might suggest you read Colossians Chapter three about putting off the old man and putting on the new man that is in Christ. Hope it helps.

What defines a Christian? Well, I think that it comes down to this: who is in charge of your life? Before I became a Christian, I was in charge of my own life -- and it didn't get me very far. Then in 1977 I turned my life over to Jesus Christ and it has made a world of difference. I have guidance! I pray, read the Bible, and try to follow that "inner voice" to guide my thoughts and actions. => I no longer struggle with life <= as I used to before I became a Christian. I now have "the peace that passes all understanding" at the very core of my being.

I viscerally understand a life of sin. Not that I did evil, but I had no guidance. I tried to do things that would give me pleasure, but I didn't know what pleasure was. Now, every day is a blessing from God! Even on the bad days -- and right now I have COVID -- there is still the peace, love, and joy that can only come from God.

What defines a Christian? Well, I think that it comes down to this: who is in charge of your life? Before I became a Christian, I was in charge of my own life -- and it didn't get me very far. Then in 1977 I turned my life over to Jesus Christ and it has made a world of difference. I have guidance! I pray, read the Bible, and try to follow that "inner voice" to guide my thoughts and actions. => I no longer struggle with life <= as I used to before I became a Christian. I now have "the peace that passes all understanding" at the very core of my being.

I viscerally understand a life of sin. Not that I did evil, but I had no guidance. I tried to do things that would give me pleasure, but I didn't know what pleasure was. Now, every day is a blessing from God! Even on the bad days -- and right now I have COVID -- there is still the peace, love, and joy that can only come from God.
Hope you get better soon J.

aha- i guess i am a christian as of today then. i have noticed pausing for a second maybe drawing a cross on chess when in some tempting situations it helps to absolve building wrath, im happy to have joined christianity after so many poor examples of christians have led me astray- i guess i will take it into my own hands to show this godforsaken place what righteousness really is. i have always unconciously acted gods will, done things without question that later made sense but now i have a direct line to the higher powers and no chance of evil spirits to confuse me
ill do what i can to support those that need it, and point wrong out to those that are blind to it and utilize my selfcontrol to set a new standard for righteousness

The preaching of Jesus and the entire New Testament is for us to repent of our wrong doing and ask God for forgiveness (and man as necessary) and walk with Him. There is no scripture that tells us to "accept Jesus into our hearts" although with a repentant heart he will sometimes respond to that unscriptural prayer. A Christian is a person who has repented of their wrong doing, asked forgiveness from God because of the blood of Jesus shed for that forgiveness, and then goes on determined to obey God as best as they know it.

There are all manner of deviations from this and all manner of comforting false teachings so read the Bible is the best source. It seems contradictory at first but with time it falls together. It is complex and deep.

Great question Zeth. Jesus said this: (Matthew 7:15, 16) . . .“Be on the watch for the false prophets who come to you in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves. 16 By their fruits you will recognize them. . . .

Self sacrificing love is an identifier: (John 13:34, 35) . . .I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves.”

And perhaps the greatest identifier is found with the first of the 10 commandments, the God you worship and serve. You must serve the God Jesus served and told us to worship and serve exclusively. If one isn't serving his God, then obviously they are not a Christian.

maybe im just unsure if i can call myself a christian if i dont agree with everything in the bible- as there are contradictions across the different versions and parts and chapters
It's okay to struggle understanding certain parts of Scripture. Know this. Scripture does not contradict itself. As Jesus said, “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand." (Matthew 12:25 NKJV) Well, so far the Scriptures have stood for over 2,000 years and counting and against very formidable foes. The Holy Spirit will help you grow and mature in your faith as you continue to look to Him. For Scripture tells us, "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face." (1 Corinthians 13:11-12 NKJV)

I believe God gives us the understanding we need when we need it. For example, when Jesus sent out His apostles He told them, "Do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you." (Matthew 10:19-20 NKJV)
This is also recorded in Mark 13:11.

So, what you see as contradictions are your own misunderstandings. I saw many of what I thought were Biblical contradictions in my life. In fact, while in college we were given an essay assignment on the topic of our own choice and I chose to expose some of those contradictions. That's how sure I was about them. Today I now know that I was wrong.

A lot of answers have been attempts to define how to identify who is a Christian.
The answer can be quite simple or can become very detailed depending upon who you ask.

Full Proof answers:
1) you among the elect chosen before the foundation of the earth
2) you have saving faith (people's definition of "saving faith" vary)
3) you have been regenerated (born again)

Simple Answer
You belief Christ is God and depend upon Him alone for your salvation (some don't believe you must believe Christ is God and some don't believe it is Christ's work alone)
Seeing as children can be Christians it seems a more detailed answer may not be needed.

But, I think your question possibly implies: How do you know you are a Christian. This is a different question.

Test For Salvation (Marks Of A Born Again Christian)
1. Believing in Christ (Faith)
2. Repentance - Who Loves God will Obey God.
3. The Believer’s Salvation from the Love of Sin.
4. No Habitual Sinning, Strive to enter through the narrow gate.
5. Material possessions have little value and human issues are not particularly upsetting.
6. Humility.
7. Lose our own life to follow Him...
8. Love of the Brethren.
9. Internal Testimony Of The Spirit Overcoming the World.
10. Spiritual Growth.
11. Peace.
12. Perseverance.
13. Persecution.

These is the categories the the Bible addresses in more detail to answer that question. In the end the assurance of faith varies from one individual to the next.
"Assurance is the believer's full conviction that, through the work of Christ alone, received by faith, he is in possession of a salvation in which he will be eternally kept. And this assurance rests only upon the Scripture promises to him who believes." It is the Spirit's work within the heart which is the only infallible proof of salvation. Author Unknown

Hope you get better soon J.
I am better already. Thanks for the good wishes. We were, of course, both concerned when my wife, then I, got COVID, but we have both been fully vaccinated so we had antibodies present to fight the virus. I am almost 80 and have had various health issues. She asked my primary to prescribe Paxlovid, but the side effects seemed ominous so I waited. As it turned out it wasn't needed.

Many people that we know have had it and have gone through it successfully. Apparently it's not the danger that it was when nobody had been immunized.

So, onward...

Regarding the OP...

I have been accused by some people for not being a Christian. The main reason is usually that I will not set myself up as a judge of people with lifestyles that are different than my own. I try to look at a person's "heart". Are they kind, loving, forgiving, compassionate..?

Personally, I feel loved by God. It is a very hard feeling/experience to describe. I actively feel His presence in my life every day so that, no matter what a given day may bring, I am blessed.

There are some people who identify as Christians, yet do not love their neighbor, regardless of who s/he may be, as themselves. The parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector in Luke 18:9-14 demonstrates this attitude perfectly: "He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven but was beating his breast and saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other, for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Another is Matthew 7:1-5, “Do not judge, so that you may not be judged. For the judgment you give will be the judgment you get, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck in your neighbor’s eye but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbor, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ while the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor’s eye."

I try my best not to judge others by their behavior, but to love them for the people that they truly are. This issue comes up with my attitude toward LGBTQs. I have very close friends who are lesbians. They are good people in every sense of the word, yet I am condemned by people who think of themselves as Christians for my feelings. They (and all people) were created by God. I fail to understand why they are judged because of their sexual preference. The Bible says that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Romans 3:21-26, "But now, apart from the law, the righteousness of God has been disclosed and is attested by the Law and the Prophets, the righteousness of God through the faith of Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction, since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a sacrifice of atonement by his blood, effective through faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over the sins previously committed; it was to demonstrate at the present time his own righteousness, so that he is righteous and he justifies the one who has the faith of Jesus."

We are told by Jesus, who quoted the Old Testament, that we are to love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength and to love our neighbor as ourselves. It doesn't say to love some neighbors and not to love others. I cannot take seriously anyone who claims to be a Christian, yet judges others and condemns their behavior. As Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 5:12-13a, "For what have I to do with judging those outside? Are you not judges of those who are inside? God will judge those outside."

There will be some, of course, who will judge me because of my beliefs, but God is my judge; I answer to Him.

Not to be rude but I think Jesus Christ defines a Christian. Ye shall know a tree by the fruit it bears…

My take on scripture is that one can maybe be assured of one’s salvation but that of others is something of a mystery. The wheat and the tares grow up together until harvest time. So…

Self examination. Discernment. Repeat often.

13. Persecution.
absolutely, i have always experienced this. they detested my honesty and character for however long as i can remember.
im quite certain at this point that i can consider myself a christian, i have sinned much before realizing how important the bible is as a guide for society- and people. but even in those years i had exercised superior selfcontrol, so detesting the silly tests that the devil will be sending my way is childs play to me
my belief is on such a level that it has crossed into certainty, even in the most frustrating times im completely certain that everything is happening accordingly to the plan of god

"He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt:
i do despise people who make a concious decision to live their lives in dishonesty, but i also stick around some of these people as i know theres a valid reason for them living a wrongful life, i am the type of person that people confide in and i even inspire people to be more noble
just yesterday a long time friend had the devil working through him to insult me- i addressed it politely and he admitted shortly after that he is having a bad day and it was indeed uncalled for
but some people dedicate themselves to opposing truth and god so much that its important to remember that even jesus in the bible did leave people for the time being, as to teach them their actions have consequences- and some people that i still speak to i have left for a short while, in a calm and assertive manner explained why- and they respect me very much for doing so as it made them realize what they are really doing

if you follow god, i believe you will feel bad if you have made an decision that is not in agreement with god, and that is probably the most important guide in life. if you feel like something is a bit off, youre most likely right. sometimes i get very direct messages in this regard but dismiss it as i want to believe in people
you can never underestimate the destructive powers of someone whos directly alligned with the devil- and is in a position of advantage over you, that is the point where i withdraw and let god do the initial work before i bother taking risks.

In answer to the OP... according to the Bible wasn't it the people around the Christians that called them that? Acts 11:26
A derogatory term that later became a badge of honour.
Much like the Jesus Freaks of the the 60's.

So when the people around you call you a Christian or Bible Thumper... I would think you are on the right path.

Back