Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What did Jesus tell us to do, and are we doing it?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
All of Jesus' words were addressed to "certain people" at "certain times". That doesn't make them invalid for us today. The argument is convenient, but certainly not logical. The disciples were taught to teach others what they themselves were taught, which includes those whom they teach also teaching others etc (Matthew 28:20).
It certainly does make certain things invalid for us today. This isn't about convenience but properly understanding how to interpret Scripture, otherwise one can easily fall into error.

Perhaps you can show where the disciples taught others that they weren't to bring supplies for their journey, or not to work for food, or to sell all that they had, or that they were not supposed to store things they weren't using. I rebutted some of your points with Scripture, so perhaps you can be more courteous and show where the passages I have cited do not apply, rather than simply dismissing my rebuttals without even addressing them.

On what basis do you decide which teachings apply to you and which don't?
Context makes it pretty clear, which also includes other passages in the NT, as I have shown. This is basic Bible interpretation.

If there really was no worry, then there would be no problem with working for love as opposed to money (Matthew 6:33)
If that's what you want to do, then go for it, but it is not at all a command to any believer.

Context makes it pretty clear, which also includes other passages in the NT, as I have shown. This is basic Bible interpretation.

You say context makes it clear, but you've not shown any context that Jesus does not expect his followers of today to obey the same principles that he taught his follower back when he first gave the teachings. Actually, you've not posted any scriptural references in your opposing post. Instead you've asked me to show that evidence, which I already did. (Matthew 28:20)

Anyway, I've got some comments on context, which I'll post below.

If that's what you want to do, then go for it, but it is not at all a command to any believer.

Are you considering the context here? These teachings (living by faith as per Matthew 6:19-34, which includes things like "you can't work for God and mammon (money and the things money can buy) at the same time without cheating one one or the other", "consider the birds and flowers because they do not work for food and clothes", and "seek first the kingdom of Heaven and God will provide the things you need") are found in the "sermon on the mount". This sermon consists of chapters 5-7 of Matthew. The sermon also includes other teachings like loving our enemies (Matthew 5:44). It includes a command about how to pray, which we commonly call the "Lord's prayer" (Matthew 6:9-13). There are many teachings/commands contained in this sermon, all which describe what it means to be a follower of Jesus. At the end it includes a parable about a wise and a foolish person. Both these people heard the words of Jesus, but only the wise person acted on those teachings. The foolish person did not act. (matthew 7:24-27).

The start of the sermon says that Jesus was addressing his disciples. The scripture says when he saw the multitudes, he climbed a mountain. Apparently only those who felt his words were worth hearing climbed after him (Matthew 5:1). Those were the people who became his disciples. Disciples and Christians are the same thing (Acts 11:26).

You've said quite plainly that these teachings are not meant for all, which I agree with. Jesus was quite clear that these teachings are for his disciples. Within that same sermon he talked about a narrow way, which few would find. He knew what kind of impact his teachings would have and that the radical change they implied would appeal to very few people.

He talked about people who "draw near to him with their lips, but their heart would be far away" (Matthew 15:8).

He talked about people who would say "Lord, Lord" as though they knew him and expected something from him, but that he would turn them away. He said only those who do the will of his father will enter the kingdom. (Matthew 7:21-23) Following this warning he goes on to the above mentioned parable about the wise and foolish persons.

He said he would be ashamed of those who are ashmed of his words (Luke 9:26) and that his teachings would judge us (John 12:48).

He said, "Why do you call me Lord, but do not obey me"? Jesus knew a time would come when people would claim to be his followers but reject his teachings. Concepts like salvation, eternal life, forgiveness, love, peace, joy, and happiness are wonderful to hear. We like those things. But those teachings which cause us to confront our fear, our hatred, our respectability, pride, self righteousness, hypocrisy, those teachings which demand change, repentence and brokeness; we're less inclined to hear those things.

paul was by trade a tent maker.
Got to love it.

Similar to the GP in the clouds.
After years of basically failing in the ministry the former farmer is praying about the Go Preach he saw in symbols.

Oh that. That was Probably Go Plow.

eddif

1 Corinthians 12:7-11 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the (common good). To one there is given through the Spirit the (message of wisdom), to another the (message of knowledge) by the mean of the same Spirit, to another (faith) by the same Spirit to another (gifts of healing) by that one Spirit, to another (miraculous powers) to another, (prophecy), to another (distinguishing between spirits), to another (speaking in) different kinds of tongues, and to still another (the interpretation of tongues). All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

We are different parts of his body and have different gifts and purpose.

Jhn 18:35 - Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee unto me: what hast thou done?
Jhn 18:36 - Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
Jhn 18:37 - Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
Jhn 18:38 - Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.​

If one can understand that there were not, and could never be, any true Christians prior to the Resurrection, then one can see that every instance in scripture of Jesus 'commanding' something explicit is given within a certain context to a particular non-Christian, or proto-Christian, who doesn't yet have the indwelling Holy Spirit to guide them through every situation. In effect, Jesus is handing out individual fishes to those who have yet to be taught by the Holy Spirit how to fish.

If one can understand that there were not, and could never be, any true Christians prior to the Resurrection, then one can see that every instance in scripture of Jesus 'commanding' something explicit is given within a certain context to a particular non-Christian, or proto-Christian...

I find myself wondering what really attracts people to Christianity when they give these kind of explanations. "Proto-Christians". It's as though that term somehow makes it rational to diregard Jesus' teachings to his disciples. All that stuff about taking the lower seat (Luke 14:10) or rebuking a brother who sins (Matthew 18:15) etc were for those "proto-christians" who lived in that time. Christians today have no need for that kind of thing because we supposedly love God and love our neighbor. How did such doctrines ever become so popular? No wonder Jesus asked if he'd find any faith on Earth when he returns (Luke 18:7-8).

I was also thinking on my earlier comments about the sermon on the mount, and why it's called the sermon on the "mount". Jesus climbed a mountain before giving those teachings. Why would he do that? IBecause his teachings are precious. He wanted those who were willing to go through some discomfort (like climbing a mountain) to hear them. He talked about God blessing those who hunger and thirst for righteousness (Matthew 5:6).

He said that many prophets and righteous men desired to hear the things he taught, but did not hear them (Matthew 13:17). Where is that desire today? Instead, the people who say they are his followers claim his words were for others. We have the blessing those prophets and righteous men had and we explain it away so casually. They say the teachings are merely figures of speech or that he didn't really mean what he said or that those teachings were for other people; not us.

The word "Gospel" literally means "good news" but men have learned to call evil good and good evil (Isaiah 5:20, Matthew 6:22-23). Jesus is the way, the truth and the life (John 14:6), but those teachings are for others. Jesus the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8), but those teahchings are for others. We are called out from the world (John 18:36 Matthew 6:10), set apart (John 15:18), a peculiar people who are in the world but not of the world (John 17:14-16), but those teachings are for other people. Instead, we relegate the cornerstone to outdated history and go on doing what all the pagans of the world do (Matthew 6:31-32).

who doesn't yet have the indwelling Holy Spirit to guide them through every situation. In effect, Jesus is handing out individual fishes to those who have yet to be taught by the Holy Spirit how to fish.

This is probably the most disturbing part of the post, because it pits the Holy Spirit against the teahcings of Jesus. Sinthesis suggests the early Christians (pre-resurrection) obeyed the teachings of Jesus because they didn't have the Holy Spirit to properly guide them. Now, (post-resurrection) we have access to the Holy Spirit which supposedly teaches us that we don't need to do what the early Christians did. The fact that the early Christians were only doing what Jesus did doesn't seem to make much difference. This is especially strange considering Jesus quite plainly said, "Follow me", using the pronoun "whosoever" to indicate any person who would call himself a follower (Matthew 4:19, Matthew 16:24).

Of course, the early Christians did have the Holy spirit. Jesus said that his teachings are the Holy Spirit (John 6:63).

Last edited:
I find myself wondering what really attracts people to Christianity when they give these kind of explanations. "Proto-Christians". It's as though that term somehow makes it rational to diregard Jesus' teachings to his disciples. All that stuff about taking the lower seat (Luke 14:10) or rebuking a brother who sins (Matthew 18:15) etc were for those "proto-christians" who lived in that time. Christians today have no need for that kind of thing because we supposedly love God and love our neighbor. How did such doctrines ever become so popular? No wonder Jesus asked if he'd find any faith on Earth when he returns (Luke 18:7-8).

I was also thinking on my earlier comments about the sermon on the mount, and why it's called the sermon on the "mount". Jesus climbed a mountain before giving those teachings. Why would he do that? IBecause his teachings are precious. He wanted those who were willing to go through some discomfort (like climbing a mountain) to hear them. He talked about God blessing those who hunger and thirst for righteousness (Matthew 5:6).

He said that many prophets and righteous men desired to hear the things he taught, but did not hear them (Matthew 13:17). Where is that desire today? Instead, the people who say they are his followers claim his words were for others. We have the blessing those prophets and righteous men had and we explain it away so casually. They say the teachings are merely figures of speech or that he didn't really mean what he said or that those teachings were for other people; not us.

The word "Gospel" literally means "good news" but men have learned to call evil good and good evil (Isaiah 5:20, Matthew 6:22-23). Jesus is the way, the truth and the life (John 14:6), but those teachings are for others. Jesus the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8), but those teahchings are for others. We are called out from the world (John 18:36 Matthew 6:10), set apart (John 15:18), a peculiar people who are in the world but not of the world (John 17:14-16), but those teachings are for other people. Instead, we relegate the cornerstone to outdated history and go on doing what all the pagans of the world do (Matthew 6:31-32).

This is probably the most disturbing part of the post, because it pits the Holy Spirit against the teahcings of Jesus. Sinthesis suggests the early Christians (pre-resurrection) obeyed the teachings of Jesus because they didn't have the Holy Spirit to properly guide them. Now, (post-resurrection) we have access to the Holy Spirit which supposedly teaches us that we don't need to do what the early Christians did. The fact that the early Christians were only doing what Jesus did doesn't seem to make much difference. This is especially strange considering Jesus quite plainly said, "Follow me", using the pronoun "whosoever" to indicate any person who would call himself a follower (Matthew 4:19, Matthew 16:24).

Of course, the early Christians did have the Holy spirit. Jesus said that his teachings are the Holy Spirit (John 6:63).

We are not talking about Jesus' doctrine, but the vast majority of your arbitrarily chosen list of 'commands' as removed from their context. Jesus doctrine is eternal, but proof-texted 'commands' are not. For example, without an explicit context or the discernment of the Holy Spirit your 'command' #23 (Eat whatever people give you) is contradicted by other scripture.

1Co 8:13 - Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.​

It is the discernment of the Holy Spirit which allows us to resolve this apparent contradiction and see that both passages are extensions of the two commands to love God, and love others as yourself.

Remember as well that as Jesus lay in the tomb for three days, all of His followers lost their faith in Him as the Christ. We would have done no better except that we have the benefit of the Holy Spirit and the hindsight of what was going to happen.

Zec 13:7 - Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man that ismy fellow, saith the LORD of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones.

Mar 14:27 - And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.

Jhn 16:32 - Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall bescattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.​

Various posters are covering, or at least bumping some interesting areas. I have not completely seen all I want to in my developing mind of Christ. So through my welding glasses:

This is the rough guide I sort of use.
1. Law from Moses to John the Baptist.
Made aware of sin
2. Kingdom taught from John on.
Internal work of God
3. Jesus death purchased our eternal life
4. Jesus resurrection affected Him and some in grace.
5. Pentecost changed disciples and those who they came in contact with.
6. The final resurrection will change our flesh totally.
7. Judgement will settle eternal loose ends.

1. Matthew 11:13
For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
2. Luke 16:16
The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
3. I Peter 2:24
Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
John 3.15
That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
4. John 20:19
Then the same day at evening, being the firstday of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
5. Acts 28:31
Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.
6. I Corinthians 15:52
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
7. I Corinthians 3:14
If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

If we get our ressurrections mixed up:
II Timothy 2:18
Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

Backwoods redneck
eddif

1 Corinthians 12:7-11 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the (common good). To one there is given through the Spirit the (message of wisdom), to another the (message of knowledge) by the mean of the same Spirit, to another (faith) by the same Spirit to another (gifts of healing) by that one Spirit, to another (miraculous powers) to another, (prophecy), to another (distinguishing between spirits), to another (speaking in) different kinds of tongues, and to still another (the interpretation of tongues). All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

We are different parts of his body and have different gifts and purpose.
I sure agree that the 3rd member of the Godhead has been neglected in the things the disciples were instructed to do. The great commission surely included the power of Holy Spirit.
Matthew 28:18
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Luke 24:49
And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high

Surely the Great Commission was the will of the Father, Son, Holy Spirit.
Promise of Father
Words of Jesus (word become flesh)
Appearance of Holy Spirit at Pentecost

eddif

You say context makes it clear, but you've not shown any context that Jesus does not expect his followers of today to obey the same principles that he taught his follower back when he first gave the teachings.
It would seem then that you do not at all understand context. Here is an article which will help: http://www.str.org/articles/never-read-a-bible-verse#.VcfEJflVhBc

There is no context which shows "that Jesus does not expect his followers of today to obey the same principles that he taught his follower back when he first gave the teachings"; it is the context of what Jesus says, as well as the context of the rest of the NT, which shows this to be the case.

Actually, you've not posted any scriptural references in your opposing post.
That is completely false. I strongly suggest you go back and re-read my post: http://christianforums.net/Fellowsh...and-are-we-doing-it.60693/page-2#post-1109770

Instead you've asked me to show that evidence, which I already did. (Matthew 28:20)
Please quote me directly and show me what it was precisely that I was asking evidence of.

Are you considering the context here?
If you go back and re-read the post linked to above, you would see that I gave context.

These teachings (living by faith as per Matthew 6:19-34, which includes things like "you can't work for God and mammon (money and the things money can buy) at the same time without cheating one one or the other",
I'm just going to stop right here because there is no such thing said in the entirety of Scripture. In fact, I have given Scripture which shows just the opposite, Scripture which you have failed to address.

Mat 6:24 "No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money. (ESV)

The Greek word for "serve" is douleuo, and it means "to be a slave, serve, do service" (Thayer). This has nothing to do with not working for money, it means that one cannot be slave to both God and money. Again, this has to do with the heart and to whom or what it belongs. Look at what precedes this verse:

Mat 6:19 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal,
Mat 6:20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
Mat 6:21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Mat 6:22 "The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light,
Mat 6:23 but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! (ESV)

This verse is saying that if one is a slave to money, money is their god and their master, and therefore God cannot be. It is one or the other that is master, not both. There is simply no way that this verse means that we cannot work for money.

Paul doesn't say, "those who do not work for their food should not eat". It would make no sense for him to say that in the context of peopel who are already working for the purpose of buying food, because if they were not working they would, by default, not have the money to pay for the food.

However, what he said was "those who do not work, should not eat". It's quite different from the way you worded it. In your version, the subject is money, not the work. In Paul's version, the subject is work, not the food. This makes sense in the context of lazy people coming into the Christian community (which Paul was writing to) thinking others would take care of them. In a situation where everyone is working for love it would be tempting for some people to go in thinking they would get a free ride. But in a Christian community people should only be there to work for God, not as a place to be lazy.

Compare this to 1 Cor 9:7, 14. Paul talks about people who work in the community having the right to partake of the community's resources. There's nothing there about working for money or whatever, because they are working for love and sharing with one another what God provides. They are following the same model from Acts 2:44-46 and Acts 4:34-35.

This model is based on what Jesus and the disciples did (Luke 5:11, Luke 5:28, Luke 18:28). It's quite clear that Jesus did mean what he said and he meant it for anyone who would follow him, because even though these teachings are presented as commands, they are done so because they are some of the most basic concepts which the Kingdom of Heaven is based on.

We won't just naturally go against our fleshly desires so Jesus gave us commands to follow, to help us overcome our fears and anxieties. If we can't follow the teachings because we see the rightness of them, then we should at least follow because we've been told to follow by someone who knows better than us. Instead, we've created all these various doctrines to make even the commands of no effect.

When Jesus said work not for the food that perishes, it is not to be taken literally for it would for certain contradict 2 Thess 3:10.

What Jesus said is a figure of speech, a "not-but elliptical" statement where emphasis is put one one thing over another but not to the exclusion of either. They should put more emphasis on working for the spiritual food over working for the physical food but not to the total exclusion of working for the physical food.

Another example of this "not-but elliptical' figure of speech is in 1 Pet 3:3,4:

"Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price
."

Peter did not literally mean wives are not to put on apparel (just as Jesus did not literal mean to not work for the food one eats). Peter was using this figure of speech to tell wives to put more emphasis on the inward adorning over the outward adorning but not to the total exclusion of the outward adorning.

That is completely false. I strongly suggest you go back and re-read my post: http://christianforums.net/Fellowsh...and-are-we-doing-it.60693/page-2#post-1109770

I think you may be misunderstanding what I said. In this quote you are responding to my post (#43) where I said, "Actually, you've not posted any scriptural references in your opposing post". The post I quoted from you, when making that comment is post #41. Check it again and you will see that you gave no scriptural references in that post. I'm not saying this to point score, but that I think you may need to slow down a bit.

As for the scriptural references you provided in post# 36, you're right. I should respond to them. I thought they were not particularly relevant and I didn't want to get bogged down dealing with them, but I wouldn't want someone using that reasoning with me so I also should not use it with you. I'm sorry for that. I've read them carefully and from what I can see they don't say anything about working for money. Nor do they say anything about some teachings of Jesus being for some Christians while other teachings are not for Christians. They talk about Christians sharing what they have with one another so that ever person's needs are met. You may assume that must mean working for money, because how could they have anything to give if they were not working for money, but that reasoning is still an assumption you make and not what the scriptures actually say and, I believe, not consistent with the overall spirit of what it means to share with one another.

As for the 2 Thessalonians 3 verse about those not working not eating, I responded to that point in my post to Seabass when he brought up the same argument. Please read it in post #39

John darling, "Instead you've asked me to show that evidence, which I already did. (Matthew 28:20)"

Free
Please quote me directly and show me what it was precisely that I was asking evidence of.

Here's the precise quotes.

It certainly does make certain things invalid for us today... Perhaps you can show where the disciples taught others

From what I can see, you say some teachings are invalid for us today (in particular the teachings about money and materialism). You go on to ask me to show where the disciples taught others to do the same things Jesus taught them to do. I did that with Matthew 28:20. Also, have a look at 1 John 2:5-6. So, my quote was accurate. The verses you posted don't say anything about selective teachings.

Now, I'd like to give some context to the "take nothing for your journey" teaching. Although it is given as a command, I do not say that it is a law with no spirit. Jesus words are sometimes given as commands, but they are still spirit, and the spirit flows where ever it wants to (John 3:8). This requires a certain amount of flexibility (or perhaps maturity), but it is difficult to explain this part without it being abused, because most people want to think of themselves as the exception when it comes to discipline and change.

I do not think Jesus meant that we must always travel with nothing. And yet, the teaching is there. Why did he command them to do this? What was the purpose of telling them to go with nothing? Have a look at Luke 22:35. He asks, "When I sent you with nothing, did you lack anything" And they answered, "Nothing". It was an exercise in faith; the application of his teachings from Matthew 6:24-34 where he said, "don't let worry about what you will eat, drink, or wear stop you from seeking God's kingdom first". Jesus wanted them to understand that these were not just teachings "in the heart" or "attitude teachings". They were teachings which he expected them to actually do. He wanted them to see they they really do work.

God really can provide for us so he sent them out two by two to preach the gospel, to eat whatever God provided, to sleep where ever God provided and to go where ever God wanted them to go. Until we, as Christians, can test ourselves by trying these teachings, we'll never understand what it means to live by faith the way Jesus and his disciples did. You can say these teachings were for other people, but by doing so you cut yourself off from one of the most important aspects of the kingdom of Heaven; trusting God as opposed to trusting in the systems of man. People argue that it's "what's in the heart" that matters, but God knows our heart better than we do. He knows the heart is deceitful above all things. Jesus knows better and that's why we should trust him even if our "heart" tells us it would be foolish to do what he says (John 2:24-25, Jeremiah 17:9).

The Greek word for "serve" is douleuo, and it means "to be a slave, serve, do service" (Thayer). This has nothing to do with not working for money, it means that one cannot be slave to both God and money. Again, this has to do with the heart and to whom or what it belongs. Look at what precedes this verse:

Can you serve Satan without working for him? You keep talking about context, but then you go back to legalism. For example, part of the definition you yourself give contains the word "serve" which is a verb (an action word), and the phrase "do service" which clearly implies some kind of work, but then you say that has nothing to do with "work". Jesus compared one of the masters to mammon, which means money and the things money can buy. It must have SOMETHING to do with money, and by your own definition that something is "doing service" for mammon.

He goes on to talk about how the flowers don't spin and the birds don't gather in barns (Matthew 6:26-28). Of course he's talking about work! but your extreme approach doesn't leave any room at all for that consideration. It's like a man who commits adultery with a prostitute and then argues to his wife that it has nothing to do with their marriage because he doesn't love the prostitute. When the wife becomes angry he gets his big Greek/Hebrew dictionary out and argues about all the various meanings of love in the "context" of adultery.

How much easier to just believe what Jesus said?

Mat 6:19 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal,
Mat 6:20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
Mat 6:21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Mat 6:22 "The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light,
Mat 6:23 but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! (ESV)

This verse is saying that if one is a slave to money, money is their god and their master, and therefore God cannot be. It is one or the other that is master, not both. There is simply no way that this verse means that we cannot work for money.

Can you give some explanation as to what you think it means for someone to be a slave to money, like, in practical terms? Maybe give some examples so I have a better idea of how to respond to your argument? Thanks.

What Jesus said is a figure of speech, a "not-but elliptical" statement where emphasis is put one one thing over another but not to the exclusion of either.

No, it's not a contradiction. One is a teaching against materialism. The other is a teaching against laziness. It's one of those context things.

They should put more emphasis on working for the spiritual food over working for the physical food but not to the total exclusion of working for the physical food.

I don't think anyone (including Jesus) is saying we should not eat food anymore. The point is one of motivations. Work for love vs materialism. I do think it's important to remember that we are talking about materialism. Money. Possessions. Jesus talked about the deceitfulness of riches (Matthew 13:22). He said we should be wary of covetousness and that life consists of more than the things we possess (Luke 12:15). He said Heaven belongs to the poor (Luke 6:20). He said so many things about materialism. Paul said the love of money is the root of all evil (1 Tim 6:10). He said to beware of those who teach that "gain is godliness". The heart is deceitful above all things (Jeremiah 17:9).

Now, here we are talking about working for love vs working for money. The kingdom of Heaven vs the systems of man. Look at all the various arguments supporting the service to the systems of man. Context. Could something more than a simple doctrinal argument is happening here. Free suggested Jesus' teachings about working for God vs mammon (money and the things money can buy) were about worry. Yes, I agree. Jesus said much the same. So, if there is no worry, then why not just do what Jesus said (and what he and his followers actually did (Luke 8:1, Luke 18:28)) as though he meant what he said?

Why not work for love to the "total exclusion" of working for food? It's not like anyone is saying we can never eat food again. Jesus said God will take care of those who work for him (Matthew 6:33, Luke 10:7). It may be that because you've not experimented with this kind of thing that you can't understand how God could provide. A lot of people have that mind-set. Because they've grown up in a system where "money makes the world go round" they can't imagine a situation where we can survive without working for that system. I believe this is precisely why Jesus made it a command. If we can't do it because we understand how it will work, we should at least do it because we are told to do it and God will teach us as we go (John 7:17).

I think it's also important to clarify that the situation is not about working vs not working. In either case, we must work. The question is who we work for. Preaching the gospel can be very challenging work. There is no "knock-off" time and there is no retirement age.

Anyway...

"Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price
."

Peter did not literally mean wives are not to put on apparel

Have you considered that "apparel" could have a different meaning from the way you understand it today? Look at the context in which Peter is speaking. He's talking about special decorations in general; vanity. It's not a figure of speech at all. I think you've misunderstood that there can be more than one meaning to the word apparel and have probably assumed the more modern-day version of "clothing in general" as the meaning Peter was referring to. The context does not support that interpretation. He was talking about literal vanity. A casual search brought up this explanation which may help to clarify the misunderstanding...

---------------
Apparel
In Old Testament times the distinction between male and female attire was not very marked. The statute forbidding men to wear female apparel ( Deuteronomy 22:5 ) referred especially to ornaments and head-dresses. Both men and women wore (1) an under garment or tunic, which was bound by a girdle. One who had only this tunic on was spoken of as "naked" ( 1 Samuel 19:24 ; Job 24:10 ; Isaiah 20:2 ). Those in high stations sometimes wore two tunics, the outer being called the "upper garment" ( 1 Samuel 15:27 ; 18:4 ; 24:5 ; Job 1:20 ).
They wore in common an over-garment ("mantle," Isaiah 3:22 ; 1 Kings 19:13 ; 2 Kings 2:13 ), a loose and flowing robe. The folds of this upper garment could be formed into a lap ( Ruth 3:15 ; Psalms 79:12 ; Proverbs 17:23 ; Luke 6:38 ). Generals of armies usually wore scarlet robes ( Judges 8:26 ; Nahum 2:3 ). A form of conspicuous raiment is mentioned in Luke 20:46 ; Compare Matthew 23:5 .

Priests alone wore trousers. Both men and women wore turbans. Kings and nobles usually had a store of costly garments for festive occasions ( Isaiah 3:22 ; Zechariah 3:4 ) and for presents ( Genesis 45:22 ; Esther 4:4 ; Esther 6:8 Esther 6:11 ; 1 Samuel 18:4 ; 2 Kings 5:5 ; 10:22 ). Prophets and ascetics wore coarse garments ( Isaiah 20:2 ; Zechariah 13:4 ; Matthew 3:4 ).
http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/apparel/
------------

We are not talking about Jesus' doctrine,

I certainly am talking about Jesus' doctrine.

but the vast majority of your arbitrarily chosen list of 'commands' as removed from their context.

They aren't arbitrary and you've not shown any evidence as to how they are "removed from context". I'm talking about doing what Jesus said to do. What's your view on that, as a Christian?

For example, without an explicit context or the discernment of the Holy Spirit your 'command' #23 (Eat whatever people give you) is contradicted by other scripture.

There is an explicit context. Jesus sends them out to seek God's kingdom first (by preaching) and tells them to eat whatever God gives them to eat as proof of Matthew 6:24-34 that God really will take care of his laborers. The context can be found in Luke 10:1-17. Of course, I didn't post all of this scripture in my initial list since the list was meant to be concise and easy to read. Please do feel free to comment on the context I've provided and let me know what you think.

1Co 8:13 - Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.
It is the discernment of the Holy Spirit which allows us to resolve this apparent contradiction and see that both passages are extensions of the two commands to love God, and love others as yourself.

Paul was pretty clearly talking about being considerate to other people's faith and feelings. He says "if" meat makes my brother to offend. In verses 4-8 (1 Corinthians 8:4-8) he talks about a person who has a conscience issue about eating meat offered to idols, but Paul says this person has weak faith, because mature faith knows there are no other Gods. Eating meat nor not eating meat should make no difference to us, but if a brother with weaker faith believes the meat is somehow unclean and we eat it anyway, we could end up encouraging him to go against his conscience. It's better to just skip the meat in that situation and perhaps work on encouraging that brother's faith to be a little stronger and not so swayed by every little wind of doctrine which comes along.

It has nothing to do (contextually) with what Jesus said about working for love vs material things (like money, food, or clothing).

Remember as well that as Jesus lay in the tomb for three days, all of His followers lost their faith in Him as the Christ. We would have done no better except that we have the benefit of the Holy Spirit and the hindsight of what was going to happen.

Zec 13:7 - Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man that ismy fellow, saith the LORD of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones.

Mar 14:27 - And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.

Jhn 16:32 - Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall bescattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

You say we could do better today because of hindsight and because we have the Holy Spirit, but I think there's A LOT of room for interpretation there. Jesus said there would be lots of people saying, "Lord, Lord". He said it would be like the days of Noah and Soddom, where people are too busy with the cares of this world,like buying and selling, to care about what God wants (Luke 17:26-32).

Matthew 4:4
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Hebrews 6:4
For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

John 4:32
But he said unto them, I have food to eat that you know not of.

eddif

Ephesians 2:15
Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, eventhe law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Thou shalt not muzzle the ox contains the concept of paying a good preacher.

Concepts are able to be seen in differing contexts. Speaking of oxen treading out corn relates to Bishops.
I Corinthians 9:9-11
I Timothy 5:17-18
Speaking of poor
Matthew 5:3 (poor in spirit - not arrogant in their spirit). Giving glory to Jesus for what he has done.

The physically poor may symbolize a humble person in the flesh, but the truth we really seek is the inward condition (Jesus spoke of to the
disciples in ther private time in the beatitudes spoken on the mount). Matthew 5

Truth can be seen as a hidden shadow (sometimes in parables), but the spiritual reality may be in another context.

eddif

Ephesians 2:15
Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, eventhe law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Are you relating this to Jesus' teachings in the sense that we don't need to obey Jesus because his teachings amount to "ordinances"? I think this is what you mean, but it would be good for you to clarify specifically how you're relating this verse to obedience to Jesus.

Thou shalt not muzzle the ox contains the concept of paying a good preacher.

The context isn't about payment at all, but rather about sharing and provision. God takes care of his laborers. These were the disciples Jesus sent out when he said, "take nothing for your journey". The context is, "seek first God's kingdom and the things you need will be provided" (Matthew 6:33). A practical application of this teaching is, "eat whatever they give you" because "the laborer is worthy of his hire" (Luke 10:7).

Concepts are able to be seen in differing contexts. Speaking of oxen treading out corn relates to Bishops.
I Corinthians 9:9-11
I Timothy 5:17-18

These verses don't say anything about payment or working for money. Paul was a strong advocate for sharing. (2 Cor 9:7)

Speaking of poor
Matthew 5:3 (poor in spirit - not arrogant in their spirit). Giving glory to Jesus for what he has done.

The physically poor may symbolize a humble person in the flesh, but the truth we really seek is the inward condition (Jesus spoke of to the
disciples in ther private time in the beatitudes spoken on the mount). Matthew 5

Can you please clarify what you're saying here?

john darling
Jesus is the reality. The law is the shadow of his coming life.
Paul agreed with Jesus.

John !3:29
For some of them thought, because Judas had the bag, that Jesus had said unto him, Buy those things that we have need of against the feast; or, that he should give something to the poor.

Jesus knew what script was.

Was Judas carrying a bartar bag? Was Judas carrying all the provisions for the group and poor in a huge bag?

I absolutely see money as equal to provision (that is what the bishop / oxen post was about).

Parables (as used by Jesus) conceal, and not reveal truth.

I just better stick with symbolism. Possibly in this thread with Jesus Christ and him crucified.

eddif

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back