Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What if Christianity were not true?

How would you feel?

• It would make no difference - even the earthly Christian life is great and it works!

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • I would spend my life very differently

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Jules_C

Forgive the slightly controversial title to this post. Just suppose, for a moment, that Christianity were not true - that only in this life we had belief and a hope, and that there was no afterlife. How would you feel?

1 Corinthians 15:19 If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied.

Fortunately, Christianity (more importantly, Jesus Christ) is true.

Yes, but how would you feel if you reached the age of, say, 92 and then magically found out?

Serving The Lord makes me happy. If I happily live to 92 and then find out it was all for naught, then so be it. I will have spent my life helping others and raising my kids to believe that they are loved more than I can express. Although, only Jesus himself could convince me he doesn't exist. ;)

1 Corinthians 15:14-20

King James Version

<SUP class=versenum>14 </SUP>And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
<SUP class=versenum>15 </SUP>Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
<SUP class=versenum>16 </SUP>For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
<SUP class=versenum>17 </SUP>And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
<SUP class=versenum>18 </SUP>Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.
<SUP class=versenum>19 </SUP>If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

1 Corinthians 15:14-20

King James Version

<sup class="versenum">14 </sup>And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
<sup class="versenum">15 </sup>Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
<sup class="versenum">16 </sup>For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
<sup class="versenum">17 </sup>And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
<sup class="versenum">18 </sup>Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.
<sup class="versenum">19 </sup>If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

Well, exactly. If we find it so 'easy' to be Christians, are we not missing the point somewhere? Isn't there such a thing as self-denial and costly service? I have a lot to learn, but I greatly envy people who find it all such a breeze, and for whom it doesn't seem to really cost anything.

Anyone who says Christianity is a breeze is either selling something or are deceiving themselves, and are headed for some serious trials. I have never known a Christian who had not experienced some sort of trial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive the slightly controversial title to this post. Just suppose, for a moment, that Christianity were not true - that only in this life we had belief and a hope, and that there was no afterlife. How would you feel?

Well, if Christianity were not true, then when I was dead what would it really matter? Well, unless hinduism were true and I came back as an ant or something... Regardless, once I die it's really out of my control isn't it?

If once I die I die and that's it, I've lost nothing because simply put, I believe that living the way of Jesus is the absolute best possible way to live your life and for many, many different reasons. The dieing part, well... that's just a bonus.

Now then, as a Christian we get persecuted a lot. Heck, just look at our view on abortion or same sex marriage. Even if Christianity weren't true, I'd still fight for those causes because.. well, because I just would. But the thing about Christianity is that Jesus himself was persecuted for what he believed in, and simply put, I believe in Jesus.

We're all following somebody and this idea of free thought is a lie. We all listen to other people and we all follow ideas from other people. Me, I choose to follow Jesus because to think for a moment that I have all the right answers would just be me lying to myself... and that never works out well.

Well, exactly. If we find it so 'easy' to be Christians, are we not missing the point somewhere? Isn't there such a thing as self-denial and costly service? I have a lot to learn, but I greatly envy people who find it all such a breeze, and for whom it doesn't seem to really cost anything.

Jules, I don't think any Christian finds it a breeze. But after prayer, and thoughtful meditation, and reason, and revelation, we come to understand the truth of it.

Yet, almost everyone sooner or later has a crisis of faith, a long dark night of the soul. It's through such tests that we can truly find God, and our faith becomes deeper. We are meant to be people of faith in community, but we each must work out our own salvation with fear and trembling.

In the long run, for the human race, living like a Christian would benefit us as a species the most. We are all looking for happiness, yet we see what happens to people who get tons of money and sex- it doesn't work out. Love takes intelligence and work and caring for others. That said, if things were truly hopeless for people and everyone knew it, I can imagine a ton of people would be living it up like there was no tomorrow.

If Christianity were not true we are of faith without hope, God exists, we remain in our sins, and we are of all men most miserable. :sad

If your religion makes you a better person it has not been a waste of time for anyone if its false. Besides if your dead and there is no God you will regret nothing as you cant think.

...I greatly envy people who find it all such a breeze, and for whom it doesn't seem to really cost anything.
You're talking about the untested Christian who has only been saved a short time and is still in the 'honeymoon', or 'infantile' phase of their relationship with Christ. Growing up into Christ is hard. Anyone who says it is not just hasn't started growing up yet.

“We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,†(Acts 14:22 NIV1984)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back