Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

What if Christianity were not true?

How would you feel?

• It would make no difference - even the earthly Christian life is great and it works!

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • I would spend my life very differently

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
There are also many mature Christians who do not wear their trials & tribulations on their sleeves, so to speak. They have select people to turn to during those times, for prayers & for a listening ear. To observe them, one would think nothing ever disturbed them. So it is possible they could be viewed as a 'breeze,' without 'cost.'

Just as growing through the teen years is not pain-free, growing to mature faith is not pain-free.

But it's all definitely worth it!

You're talking about the untested Christian who has only been saved a short time and is still in the 'honeymoon', or 'infantile' phase of their relationship with Christ. Growing up into Christ is hard. Anyone who says it is not just hasn't started growing up yet.

“We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,” (Acts 14:22 NIV1984)

Paul had just been stoned by the Jews, and left for dead, when he mentioned those hardships. We're not in danger of being stoned. Our hardships don't extend much beyond paying a marriage tax or being called a bigot for standing up for righteousness. And, even then many Christians (including nearly all our leaders) just choose not to stand up for righteousness, without feeling that they've compromised their Christianity.

When I see posts of people asking for prayer because they're going through difficulties in their lives, most of the time their difficulties stem from behavior and choices unbecoming of a Christian or of prudence. Their difficulties rarely stem from being a Christian, beyond petty concerns.

Just suppose, for a moment, that Christianity were not true - that only in this life we had belief and a hope, and that there was no afterlife. How would you feel?
Betrayed.

If I found that out now I would go back to living for myself and my sense of right and wrong according to what I value and benefit from. Everything would go back to my prejudiced, short sided point of view. Only those things that have an immediate adverse affect on the quality of my life, that I could control, would be avoided.

Just as growing through the teen years is not pain-free, growing to mature faith is not pain-free.

But it's all definitely worth it!
How true.

"11 All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness." (Hebrews 12:11 NASB)

Those who have experienced the peace that results from walking in the disciplines of the Christian life know very well how much it all is worth.

A friend was having doubts about her faith and asked me if I did. I just told her that all I had to do is look at the changes in my own life let alone that God chose my husband, a heathen sailor and Christ turned him into a godly man.
No we would still be dead in our bitterness and sin, miserable and looking for something or someone else to fill the empyness inside.

Even assuming, for a moment, that either a) there is no God or b) God is more in line with the what the New Agers talk about--some mystery force that doesn't hold us to high moral standards--I don't think the Christian life would have been a waste. There was a time when, even in the secular world, character was considered desirable. Hard times were seen as potentially good. At some point, at least in the US, it became bad to suffer, bad to through hard times, and the goal of life became making money, having "stuff," and having fun.

So, if, when I die, I simply die...not a waste. If, when I die, I discover that God didn't really expect that much from me...not a big deal. Developing character and applying a form of morality that, even without Jesus, makes life better for yourself, those around you, and society at large....this is a good thing, no matter what happens after you die.

There really isn't anything else that would be better even if it wasn't true. You could be a hedonist and drink or do drugs or focus on sex and you'd feel very empty. You could approach life like its a game or play and become amoral. If you really were amoral it might work for you. You could try to escape the world and meditate and be buddhist. It's all pointless. I think people who come up with their own morality are kidding themselves. If there is nothing after this why not suck up to the boss? Why not learn to seduce the beautiful woman? Why not do the power play to get the promotion? So you can keep your self respect? A lot of good that will do you in the meaningless nature of things. I'd care about people and do nice things but I'd take an amoral approach to things. If it's just a game we might as well learn to play for real. It would eat me up inside every day like it used to. Luckily this isn't a problem for us.

There is no down side in accepting Christ, if we found out one day that Chrisitanity was not true what harm was done by living a Christian life and following the teachings of Christ?

I'm sorry, I've just got to know, from the two (so far) who said they'd live their lives very differently: Why did you make a statement of faith, then? Fire insurance?

I'm not trying to start an argument, really. I'm genuinely curious.

If Christianity were not true we are of faith without hope, God exists, we remain in our sins, and we are of all men most miserable. :sad
Ah, but that is not what Paul said!
1 Corinthians 15
16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised;
17 and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.
18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.
19 If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied. [Emphasis added]
Paul stated quite clearly that our hope is not for this life, but for the next, meaning that a rejection of Christ in this life is absurd, no matter who you are.

In my opinion, it's foolish to hypothesis what-if God doesn't exist. To do so demotes God to a mere object, and you've already damaged your faith.

Paul discusses what-if there's no resurrection, but not what-if there's no God.

Ah, but that is not what Paul said!
1 Corinthians 15
16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised;
17 and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.
18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.
19 If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied. [Emphasis added]
Paul stated quite clearly that our hope is not for this life, but for the next, meaning that a rejection of Christ in this life is absurd, no matter who you are.
And of course you are right. The supposition that I used Paul's writings is just that; indeed it is very similar, but the OP addresses the hypothesis of Christianity not being real and that in fact if true necessitates reevaluation of our motives. Let's see now, if I said that, then this must be true, though if it isn't the false reigns. Huh?
:confused

In my opinion, it's foolish to hypothesis what-if God doesn't exist. To do
so demotes God to a mere object, and you've already damaged your faith.

But Paul raises this hypothesis himself. He poses the question (though ultimately rejecting it) that if for this life only we have hope, then the cost of discipleship is too high.

Many people don't seem to find that cost too high at all, if they can state that they would live that way anyway, regardless of whether there was an afterlife or not.

idk personally i would never accept the fact that the lord does not exist, nor would i even consider it or question it. I know the lord exists. I've had experiences that can define everything. I've gone through homeless and nights without eating or electricity. I've had the lord come to me and i would never question this. Nor would i ever make a thread about "what if". It kind of insults me but it's only a opinion and i need to relax about it lol.

That's an easy one.

I'd still be the same person I was.
I don't want to go back to that and neither does anyone else that knew that guy.

And Paul would still be Saul of Tarsus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would probably either be dead or in prison because only God was able to stop my destructive lifestyle.
<O:tongue</O:tongue
Praise God.
Be blessed.
Toby<O:tongue</O:tongue

I would probably either be dead or in prison because only God was able to stop my destructive lifestyle.
Praise God.
Be blessed.
Toby<O:tongue</O:tongue
That's the truth for a life changed with me also; praise God for His great mercy.

The last time a friend asked me "what if it isn't true" I replied that all I have to do is look at the changes in my own life to know that it is true. So I guess I would not believe that it isn't true. God has given me joy, peace and contentment.

"All who try to live Godly lives in Christ Jesus shall be persecuted". We do go through false accusations, suspicians, persecutions and rejection for Christ's sake from family and friends, bosses and coworkers. This often really hurts and makes us angry and even question God. But we grow through them as we stand firm. We learn to respond in a Godly way.
And it is never easy to lose a loved one through death. That can seem like a horrible, dark tunnel with no light at the end. But eventually you conclude that life goes on without them even though it will never be the same.

Life is not easy for anyone. But I would rather go through it with God than without Him. And it is true that we will go through hardship just because we are Christians. But our relationship with God is like a good long marriage. The hardships have caused our trust to grow, our friendship to deepen, our enjoyment of each others company to be such a blessing.

So my answer to the question is: NOT POSSIBLE!

I no longer believe Christianity is true. The changes I have noticed in myself are mostly a lack of prayer, church attendance, and adherence to other exclusively Christian behavior. Other behavior has remained largely the same. My attitude towards social issues like homosexuality has also changes since these were based on the truth of Christianity.

I no longer believe Christianity is true. The changes I have noticed in myself are mostly a lack of prayer, church attendance, and adherence to other exclusively Christian behavior. Other behavior has remained largely the same. My attitude towards social issues like homosexuality has also changes since these were based on the truth of Christianity.

I'm curious what the psychological impact loss of faith was. I am also curious if your faith was strong at one point if you notice little change. Going from thinking I had eternal life and my time on earth had implications for my experience of eternity, to thinking there was nothing after this and the only meaning it has is what I make up is a big change. Was Christ ever the center of your life?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back