Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

What is "GODS RIGHTEOUSNESS"

M

Mitspa

Rom 10:3

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

When those who are in the "flesh" hear the term "righteousness" they always think of what THEY must do?

But a believer who is "spiritual" always thinks of what God has done by the WORK of Christ Jesus, One who walks by the Rightoeusness of God walks in the grace and power of God!:thumbsup

There are many works in Gods "Righteousness" but all the works come from who He is and bring GLORY to Christ, not the one who does the works!

Rom 4:20

He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
Rom 4:21

And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
Rom 4:22

And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.

Gods righteousness is acting according to the promises of God! By faith we show that God is faithful :clap

If any man glory let him glory in the Lord!

Hi Mitspa,

I was writing down some thoughts this morning, and decided to share them here on the forum, and when opened this forum, you post was the first one at the top. So, you'll understand why I share my thoughts here.

[FONT=&quot]I was reading Samuel Davies this morning about the Judgment to come(I know it’s a heavy subject), and I wanted to share a reaffirmation that Davies makes regarding the nature of Jesus.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]John 5:22[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]New King James Version (NKJV)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]22 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, [/FONT]
John 5:27

New King James Version (NKJV)
27 and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man.

[FONT=&quot]Davies quotes John 5:22, 27. Here Davies talks about the fitness of Jesus Christ to be the Judge of all. I agree with Davies that because of God’s omniscience, He alone would be the appropriate judge. When you think about how Jesus became a man or took on the form of a man, then you think that God has taken away every excuse that man could think of to reject Him. How many times have I heard someone say, ‘You don’t know how I feel.’ With God’s omniscience alone, this argument/denial is dispelled, but we see God stooping down low, going beyond what we would ever think is reasonable, living in this world and suffering all its ugliness, not to condemn us, but to establish a righteousness to give to us so that we may stand innocent on the Day of Judgment. If we reject His righteousness that He offers us through His death and resurrection, then how appropriate is our condemnation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let’s thank God for his gifts of pardon and righteousness![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Davies
[/FONT]

Hi Mitspa,

I was writing down some thoughts this morning, and decided to share them here on the forum, and when opened this forum, you post was the first one at the top. So, you'll understand why I share my thoughts here.

[FONT=&quot]I was reading Samuel Davies this morning about the Judgment to come(I know it’s a heavy subject), and I wanted to share a reaffirmation that Davies makes regarding the nature of Jesus.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]John 5:22[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]New King James Version (NKJV)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]22 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, [/FONT]
John 5:27

New King James Version (NKJV)
27 and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man.

[FONT=&quot]Davies quotes John 5:22, 27. Here Davies talks about the fitness of Jesus Christ to be the Judge of all. I agree with Davies that because of God’s omniscience, He alone would be the appropriate judge. When you think about how Jesus became a man or took on the form of a man, then you think that God has taken away every excuse that man could think of to reject Him. How many times have I heard someone say, ‘You don’t know how I feel.’ With God’s omniscience alone, this argument/denial is dispelled, but we see God stooping down low, going beyond what we would ever think is reasonable, living in this world and suffering all its ugliness, not to condemn us, but to establish a righteousness to give to us so that we may stand innocent on the Day of Judgment. If we reject His righteousness that He offers us through His death and resurrection, then how appropriate is our condemnation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let’s thank God for his gifts of pardon and righteousness![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Davies
[/FONT]
Wow good stuff! If this was understood by the Church, things would be much different!:pray

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

When those who are in the "flesh" hear the term "righteousness" they always think of what THEY must do?

But a believer who is "spiritual" always thinks of what God has done by the WORK of Christ Jesus, One who walks by the Rightoeusness of God walks in the grace and power of God!:thumbsup

By walking in the grace and power of God, do you mean that it's not that we have to do, but rather, "We Get to DO".

By walking in the grace and power of God, do you mean that it's not that we have to do, but rather, "We Get to DO".

Thats a good way to say it! but also I was trying to make the point, that we are empowered by WHO God is, and His faithfulness! Many do works to prove who they are and to show their own form of righteousness! Which is the thing that God hates!
Thus if we do anything and feel that me may boast? its pride! "flesh"
For he who glories let him glory in the Lord!

Amen Mitzpa,

John 8:29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

I am reminded of my children when they were younger. Always trying to please me. Not to win my favor... it was simply in their nature to be like their Father.

Amen Mitzpa,

John 8:29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

I am reminded of my children when they were younger. Always trying to please me. Not to win my favor... it was simply in their nature to be like their Father.

Oh! how they trust in Dad! and where he is they feel safe!:)
You know, many cant understand God, because His motives are all founded in Love?

Eph 3:17

That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
Eph 3:18

May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

Eph 3:19

And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

He is a good God, and worthy of all our trust!:clap

Oh! how they trust in Dad! and where he is they feel safe!:)
You know, many cant understand God, because His motives are all founded in Love?

Great scriptures you posted! But to your comment above, unfortunatly some never experienced a loving, just Daddy... Or they had a Father that no matter how hard they tried, they just never matched up to Daddy's expectations. Kinda sad that those children never felt secure and safe... :pray

God bless you and have a wonderful weekend.

Great scriptures you posted! But to your comment above, unfortunatly some never experienced a loving, just Daddy... Or they had a Father that no matter how hard they tried, they just never matched up to Daddy's expectations. Kinda sad that those children never felt secure and safe... :pray

God bless you and have a wonderful weekend.

Thank you and God Bless you and Your "little ones"!:thumbsup

Pro 28:1

The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.

The confidence that comes when one understands that Gods Own Righteousness is the armor that covers the heart and conscience of a believer. The enemy roars as a lion bringing his accusations against your conscience, and those who are ignorant of what has been given to us in Christ, will always flee from the battle. But one who knows the truth will bring out the sword of God and stand against the enemy!

1Jn 4:4

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

dont settle for religion, but the Kingdom of God is for those who believe!:clap

Rom 1:16

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Rom 1:17

For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

The gospel is a revelation of "Gods Righteousness", which was given to us "In Christ" As the believer begins to look away from self, which is "flesh", and begins to understand what we have "in spirit" In Christ. The heart of the believer turns more and more to the glory of God, understanding that Who and what He is, and that the Kingdom has been given to us, as sons of God!

2Co 3:18

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

This is called the "ministry of righteousness" meaning when one is hearing the "true gospel" they become more and more confident in "Gods Righteousness" being there own , by faith!

2Co 5:21

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. :thumbsup

I believe many miss the sense of "God's righteousness", at least in terms of how Paul thinks.

For Paul, the concept of God's righteousness is not a vague, general notion about "moral goodness" (although, of course, Paul does believe God is indeed "good"). Instead, I suggest that Paul uses the term (mostly) to refer to God's faithfulness to His covenant with Israel. For reasons I can provide if asked, the term "God's righteousness" (for Paul) also has echoes of God's broader plan to redeem all creation (through His covenant with Israel).

A key point: For Paul, the concept of God's righteousness has a strong element of an evolving narrative: Paul is not so much describing God in an abstract timeless sense as he is describing how God acts in history to keep His promises (and with a particular focus on promises made to Israel).

I believe many miss the sense of "God's righteousness", at least in terms of how Paul thinks.

For Paul, the concept of God's righteousness is not a vague, general notion about "moral goodness"

First Paul was speaking with the authority of heaven! The Holy Spirit of God, directing his words! To make is sound as if he was just given his view as a man, I find to be a "carnal attitude" that many seem to take towards the scriptures! To the "Apostle" Paul, who said "all men will be judged according to his gospel" This issue, "The Righteousness of God" is the core principle and thought of all scripture!
This is the Gospel and the ministry, anyone who does not have this has no part in the Kingdom of God!

First Paul was speaking with the authority of heaven! The Holy Spirit of God, directing his words! To make is sound as if he was just given his view as a man, I find to be a "carnal attitude" that many seem to take towards the scriptures!
I have no idea what your point is. I am simply expressing what I believe is a Biblically defensible view of what the term "God's righteousness" means. I am no more "carnal" than you are in this respect - we each have a particular view about what the term means. Are you suggesting that I am "carnal" simply because I do not agree with you? It sure seems like it.

If you want to discuss this scripturally, and leave the ponitificating aside, I am happy to do so.

Let's be clear about a point of method: It simply will not do to come to the term "God's righteousness" having already decided what the term means.

Paul is the prime user of this term (I believe). We need to let him tell us what the term means by studying how the term is used in context. To be objective about this, we need to acknowledge that, without context, the term is rather ambiguous.

Let's be clear about a point of method: It simply will not do to come to the term "God's righteousness" having already decided what the term means.

Paul is the prime user of this term (I believe). We need to let him tell us what the term means by studying how the term is used in context. To be objective about this, we need to acknowledge that, without context, the term is rather ambiguous.
I do believe that I have made that very point from the beginning of this thread? As one who has been enlighted by the Word of God, I have laid out my view in a few simple post. I guess you may come to the "term" how ever you like? I on the other hand have confidence that I can defend my views by the scriptures!
Now if you have an issue on any of my views? please make a point and I will respond:) Who knows, I may learn something from you? To say we can never know with confidence what the "gospel" and "Gods Righteousness" mean is just foolishness in my view! Maybe you can add to this thread by your understanding of these terms? :)

Well, I agree with you that the issue here is what God has done.

But I think Paul's point is more fine-grained. What has Paul just finished doing in the last half of Romans 9 (which leads up to the text you have quoted from Romans 10)? He has just retold (briefly) the entire covenant history of Israel.

This is not a co-incidence. It is the covenant that is on Paul's mind here, and he is (in Romans 10:3) asserting that the Jewish people do not realize what God is doing in the covenant.

I am prepared to add much more detail that this notion of God's righteousness specifically in relation to the covenant permeates the book of Romans.

For the present, I simply point out when Paul talks about God's righteousness in Romans 10, he does so in a context where he has just been talking about the covenantal history of Israel.

This is compelling evidence that covenantal matters are bound up with Paul's notion of "God's righteousness".

There are many works in Gods "Righteousness" but all the works come from who He is and bring GLORY to Christ, not the one who does the works!
I agree again, but, as in Romans 10, the focus here in Romans 4 is on God's covenantal righteousness, not on a more general, vague sense of God's righteousness. Look at what Paul goes on to say a few breaths later in Romans 4:

Is this blessing then on [d]the circumcised, or on [e]the uncircumcised also? For we say, “Faith was credited to Abraham as righteousness.†10 How then was it credited? While he was [f]circumcised, or [g]uncircumcised? Not while [h]circumcised, but while uncircumcised; 11 and he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which [j]he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them, 12 and the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also follow in the steps of the faith of our father Abraham which [k]he had while uncircumcised.13 For the promise to Abraham or to his [l]descendants that he would be heir of the world was not [m]through the Law, but through the righteousness of faith. 14 For if those who are [n]of the Law are heirs, faith is made void and the promise is nullified; 15 for the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, there also is no violation.

This is all about issue of covenant! Paul is arguing that God's covenant all along did not really exclude Gentiles.

Again, a lot more could be said. But it is very compelling that, yet again, when Paul talks about matters of "righteousness", a discussion the covenant is not far away.

Co-incidence?

Back